Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2019, 23:18   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 7,080
Thanked: 14,584 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

How about 3 cars?

A used German RWD sedan for those moments when you want to feel you're 25. A new Toyota Crysta for those 5000-km roadtrips. And a new Toyota Yaris for the shopping trips. Unbeatable safety kit on the Yaris. And Toyota might just give you a super discount offer for buying 2 of their cars together.

Just an afterthought: Buy a Camry Hybrid and a Crysta. Maybe Toyota will throw in a Yaris free.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 30th January 2019 at 23:41.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 07:30   #32
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4,317
Thanked: 8,754 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

I would pick a X3 xDrive30i and a Polo GT TSi. You and your family is used to the NX200 and Countryman. So, I feel at least one car needs to be from a luxury brand given your budget.

I like the new X3, thank heavens BMW hasn't showered it too much with their most recent design language. And the GT TSi is a safe hatchback with decent dynamics which can help out on those chores.

That way, there is total clarity on which key to pick for what purpose. And I am done with diesels!

Last edited by deetjohn : 31st January 2019 at 07:31. Reason: typo.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 09:34   #33
BHPian
 
the_skyliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 752
Thanked: 1,158 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

Did you have a look at Q5? I know it's not as good as X3 in terms of driving pleasure but on other fronts, I think it scores better.

If Q5 doesn't excite you much then it has to be X3 (30i) + Jazz CVT.

Lastly, if you can find a top end X5 below 60L then it would be the best deal of the lot (+ Jazz or GT TSi).

1700 kms driven X5 expedition is not worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Why not look at the outgoing X5 (was available for less than 60L on road in December) if there are a few units still there as it would be the perfect car for seating 5 in comfort and has a nice V6 diesel to keep you happy.
Good suggestion.
But it's a straight-six.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 11:01   #34
BHPian
 
mathranik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ahmedabad, GJ
Posts: 181
Thanked: 300 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't like media / test-drive cars, but if the 1700 km are genuine (it's rather low) & the price is mouth-watering, I would consider. Go check it out & let us know how she feels.
Since I am still in Jakarta, my friend checked it out for me and had the following observations :

- The car was clean, mechanically and aesthetically - No traces of abuse
- Been with the dealer since July '18
- As Akshay mentioned here, it misses out on a bunch of key features - No Apple Carplay, smaller iDrive screen and MID, Harman Kardon stereo, adaptive headlights and suspension, et al

However, it has what you mentioned would please me the most - The in-line Six. Again, pretty indecisive at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I would say 60L on road for a 1700km car is a bit too much. New cars were going for the similar price and if I remember correctly someone on the forum got a deal for 59L on road Mumbai. I would not pay more than 57L-58L on road for such a car. I believe you should check out the car thoroughly and bargain hard.
I agree with you. The dealer's playing a hardball though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
The expedition is not worth it. It just misses out on too many features. Its like buying an X5 just for the sake of buying an X5.

I would say stick to the X3 if you want a premium SUV, the deal you have got is pretty good. Along with that some hatch/small suv which will do the job will take care of your garage.

On the other hand, you can look for a pre owned Cooper S, and maybe get an Endeavour or Kodiaq to go with it.


Edit - Wait till March to see the best pricing on the premium cars.
Great points, Akshay. Would the March deals be significantly better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
How about 3 cars?

A used German RWD sedan for those moments when you want to feel you're 25. A new Toyota Crysta for those 5000-km roadtrips. And a new Toyota Yaris for the shopping trips. Unbeatable safety kit on the Yaris. And Toyota might just give you a super discount offer for buying 2 of their cars together.

Just an afterthought: Buy a Camry Hybrid and a Crysta. Maybe Toyota will throw in a Yaris free.
You make a very logical case here. However, I'm not a big Toyota fan (Despite owning a Lexus right now) - They age beautifully, but are a tad too boring for me and constantly remind me being 35!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I would pick a X3 xDrive30i and a Polo GT TSi. You and your family is used to the NX200 and Countryman. So, I feel at least one car needs to be from a luxury brand given your budget.

I like the new X3, thank heavens BMW hasn't showered it too much with their most recent design language. And the GT TSi is a safe hatchback with decent dynamics which can help out on those chores.

That way, there is total clarity on which key to pick for what purpose. And I am done with diesels!
Touché! Petrol, however, would be I picking something up selfishly rather than practically - And as of now, Gujarat is not yet cursed (or otherwise) by the NGT Diesel ban. I am with you on the combo of X3 and Polo. Getting closer to that, day after day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Did you have a look at Q5? I know it's not as good as X3 in terms of driving pleasure but on other fronts, I think it scores better.

If Q5 doesn't excite you much then it has to be X3 (30i) + Jazz CVT.

Lastly, if you can find a top end X5 below 60L then it would be the best deal of the lot (+ Jazz or GT TSi).

1700 kms driven X5 expedition is not worth the money.



Good suggestion.
But it's a straight-six.
Another down-vote for the X5 expedition! Well, even an X5 DPE <65L seems impossible, leave alone top-end. :(

As for Q5, I did have a look. Having owned a Q3 not so long ago, I know of folks at Audi Ahmedabad and they shared with me the available deals. The Q range has become generic and boring off-late, or at least that's what I feel. Family would rather go for a brand change, as a whiff of fresh air.



@All - Here's the final short-list then. Do share your opinion on what's the best pick of the lot, given our requirements, please :

(1) X3 20d Luxury Line (OTR 55L) + VW Polo GT TSi
(2) GLE 250d (OTR 59L) + VW Polo GT TSi
(3) Volvo XC40 (OTR 40L) + Tata Hexa
(4) X5 Expedition (OTR 60L) + Hyundai i20 (In-line Six would take care of the fun)

P.S. - Dealer tempted me with some pictures!

60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan-whatsapp-image-20190131-11.32.07.jpeg

60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan-whatsapp-image-20190131-11.32.09.jpeg

60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan-whatsapp-image-20190131-11.32.10.jpeg

Thank you, once again!
mathranik is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 17:23   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta/London
Posts: 2,668
Thanked: 7,243 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

If it had been yesterday I would have voted for 2 cars in that budget. But today after driving the Evoque, Discovery Sport and XC 60, I have changed my mind. I would go for a single vehicle worth 60 Lacs because these vehicles are of a different breed compared to 30 lac vehicles.

60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan-img_20190131_161200029_hdr2.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 20:14   #36
BHPian
 
mathranik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ahmedabad, GJ
Posts: 181
Thanked: 300 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
If it had been yesterday I would have voted for 2 cars in that budget. But today after driving the Evoque, Discovery Sport and XC 60, I have changed my mind. I would go for a single vehicle worth 60 Lacs because these vehicles are of a different breed compared to 30 lac vehicles.

Attachment 1843561
Very interesting <New Player has joined the game>.

Did you purchase the Evoque? I found out, more out of curiosity than anything else, that the Evoque Landmark and Disco Landmark are both OTR INR 56L. However, I feel that Evoque's too long in the tooth with the same model being around for over 6 years, and the cabin not the most spacious.
mathranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 13:56   #37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 12
Thanked: 61 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post

(1) X3 20d Luxury Line (OTR 55L) + VW Polo GT TSi
(2) GLE 250d (OTR 59L) + VW Polo GT TSi
(3) Volvo XC40 (OTR 40L) + Tata Hexa
(4) X5 Expedition (OTR 60L) + Hyundai i20 (In-line Six would take care of the fun)
Option 2 - Even though the GLE is an outgoing model, it is a whole segment above the X3. We were in the same conundrum and in the end decided to go for the GLE (ML at the time) even though we had another star in the stable. Unless you can get a good deal on an X5 I would say go for the GLE + VW option.
deepakc is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 14:23   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,072
Thanked: 525 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

I see a lot of recommendations for the Abarth and the GT TSI. Not sure if they are a great choice considering their shoddy after sales and the fact that they are pretty old cars on the verge of being replaced or discontinued all together. Something to ponder especially when you have listed after sales and service as one of your priorities. Also remember that in India even the top German and British car makers are not really know for their after sales and somehow I have a feeling that your current Audi experience may not be exactly similar in India. So do remember that.

So in my opinion get a Skoda Octavia RS as your fun car long with a Innova Crysta Auto top version as your highway beater car. Well within your 60L budget and probably will give you a mix of reliability, safety, good after sales and fun.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 17:25   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 159
Thanked: 305 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

We have a Q5 (bought a few weeks ago) and a GT TSI. Couldn't be happier. The Q5 is a petrol - the refinement is a dream every day in Mumbai traffic, and on occasion have managed to take advantage of the perkiness too. I always thought I compromised a little on the table on drivability compared the X3 30i, but after three weeks, I am hard pressed to remember the difference. On a daily basis, the Audi is very comfortable to live with. Android Auto with Google Assistant is a boon! The Polo GT TSI is another care which is easy to recommend.

If you were an Audi owner before, I can completely understand why you wouldnt want an Audi again. The X3 + GT TSI makes sense. However, do think about the petrol vs diesel (though you might struggle to find an X3 30i deal just now).
Aurum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 19:59   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 9,666 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

I, at your place would have gone for a Toyota Fortuner 4x4 with a Skoda Octavia VRS.
It may exceed your budget by a few lacs but at the end you will have a reliable, go anywhere suv with a super fun to drive sedan.

From your short listed option's, i will vote for the - GLE 250d + VW Polo GT TSi

I would have selected the X5 eye's closed, but am a bit skeptical as it has already done 1700 km on a media drive and we do not know how it was used. If i am paying 60L for a car, i will prefer to have it brand new.

Last edited by Samba : 1st February 2019 at 20:02.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 08:07   #41
BHPian
 
mathranik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ahmedabad, GJ
Posts: 181
Thanked: 300 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
We have a Q5 (bought a few weeks ago) and a GT TSI. Couldn't be happier. The Q5 is a petrol - the refinement is a dream every day in Mumbai traffic, and on occasion have managed to take advantage of the perkiness too. I always thought I compromised a little on the table on drivability compared the X3 30i, but after three weeks, I am hard pressed to remember the difference. On a daily basis, the Audi is very comfortable to live with. Android Auto with Google Assistant is a boon! The Polo GT TSI is another care which is easy to recommend.

If you were an Audi owner before, I can completely understand why you wouldnt want an Audi again. The X3 + GT TSI makes sense. However, do think about the petrol vs diesel (though you might struggle to find an X3 30i deal just now).
Unfortunately, there aren't any deals that I can land on X3 30i, and had I not owned an Audi in the past, Q5 would've been on the top of my list too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I, at your place would have gone for a Toyota Fortuner 4x4 with a Skoda Octavia VRS.
It may exceed your budget by a few lacs but at the end you will have a reliable, go anywhere suv with a super fun to drive sedan.

From your short listed option's, i will vote for the - GLE 250d + VW Polo GT TSi

I would have selected the X5 eye's closed, but am a bit skeptical as it has already done 1700 km on a media drive and we do not know how it was used. If i am paying 60L for a car, i will prefer to have it brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I see a lot of recommendations for the Abarth and the GT TSI. Not sure if they are a great choice considering their shoddy after sales and the fact that they are pretty old cars on the verge of being replaced or discontinued all together. Something to ponder especially when you have listed after sales and service as one of your priorities. Also remember that in India even the top German and British car makers are not really know for their after sales and somehow I have a feeling that your current Audi experience may not be exactly similar in India. So do remember that.

So in my opinion get a Skoda Octavia RS as your fun car long with a Innova Crysta Auto top version as your highway beater car. Well within your 60L budget and probably will give you a mix of reliability, safety, good after sales and fun.
Octavia RS is a hoot to drive and very practical too, but doesn't fit my budget / scheme of things. Abarth is out of contention with the recent news of Fiat pulling out of India.

My Audi India experience was pretty solid - they were responsive, didn't try to rip me off at any point in time, changed a 6k kms old tyre under warranty and service appointments were easy to book. Things might have changed in the last couple of years though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakc View Post
Option 2 - Even though the GLE is an outgoing model, it is a whole segment above the X3. We were in the same conundrum and in the end decided to go for the GLE (ML at the time) even though we had another star in the stable. Unless you can get a good deal on an X5 I would say go for the GLE + VW option.
Thanks! I am torn between the GLE and X3, the former for obvious reasons and the latter for it being fully-loaded and also the latest model.
mathranik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 09:09   #42
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Hayek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 971
Thanked: 3,498 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

Would pick the X3 any day over the GLE 250d. The GLE is much heavier than the X3 and the 250d engine is grossly underpowered. A GLE 350d would have been a different story. Check with the Bombay dealers as well for the X5 - agree fully that an X5 DPE at under ₹ 60 l OTR is a steal.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 09:54   #43
BHPian
 
AdiSinghV12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BOM-CCU-DEL-PAT
Posts: 563
Thanked: 630 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

I wonder why nobody suggested the Discovery Sport. The HSE Luxury trim which now comes with the Dynamic Kit as standard (I coincidently put the kit on mine before they made it standard ) kinda fits all the boxes and should be around 61-62 OTR if you bargain hard. The ride quality is better then the X3 and only seconded by the Q5 in its segment and has the highest second-row leg room by far, has extra 5+2 seats just in case the entire family wants to venture out, looks great on the outside and coming to the most important thing the service - JLR is nowadays offering 50% service pack complimentary and that translated my 2 services of 2017 Jaguar XF to 11k and 18k respectively and it will be similar with the Discovery Sport too. One downside is the look and feel of the centre console but if you are willing to sacrifice a little you are getting a great product which is easy to own (I say this after having around 5 BMWs in my garage in past at some point)
60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan-201812251047290549135074839.jpg
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:29   #44
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,257
Thanked: 15,991 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

Summarising

Durability - GLE250d - that engine is unbreakable and so is the car with normal steel springs
Utility + Durability - Disco Sport - dont test drive it, borrow it for two days to understand the all round feel of it.
Driving Pleasure - X3/X5
Q5 - Refinement
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2019, 17:32   #45
BHPian
 
mathranik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ahmedabad, GJ
Posts: 181
Thanked: 300 Times
Default re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Would pick the X3 any day over the GLE 250d. The GLE is much heavier than the X3 and the 250d engine is grossly underpowered. A GLE 350d would have been a different story. Check with the Bombay dealers as well for the X5 - agree fully that an X5 DPE at under ₹ 60 l OTR is a steal.
Thank you. Dropping the GLE from contention for good, now, despite its advantages. The forum seems to concur that its too outdated, resale would be poor (Not a point of contention, plus the big discount would make up for it), it won't age well and is underpowered. Leaves me with X3 and X5, Disco and Q5.


Here are a few pictures of the X5 in contention - looks clean externally, though the seats seem to show a bit of age.

60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan-whatsapp-image-20190202-14.47.30.jpeg

60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan-whatsapp-image-20190202-14.47.31.jpeg

60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan-whatsapp-image-20190202-14.47.32.jpeg


Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
I wonder why nobody suggested the Discovery Sport. The HSE Luxury trim which now comes with the Dynamic Kit as standard (I coincidently put the kit on mine before they made it standard ) kinda fits all the boxes and should be around 61-62 OTR if you bargain hard. The ride quality is better then the X3 and only seconded by the Q5 in its segment and has the highest second-row leg room by far, has extra 5+2 seats just in case the entire family wants to venture out, looks great on the outside and coming to the most important thing the service - JLR is nowadays offering 50% service pack complimentary and that translated my 2 services of 2017 Jaguar XF to 11k and 18k respectively and it will be similar with the Discovery Sport too. One downside is the look and feel of the centre console but if you are willing to sacrifice a little you are getting a great product which is easy to own (I say this after having around 5 BMWs in my garage in past at some point)
Attachment 1844220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Summarising

Durability - GLE250d - that engine is unbreakable and so is the car with normal steel springs
Utility + Durability - Disco Sport - dont test drive it, borrow it for two days to understand the all round feel of it.
Driving Pleasure - X3/X5
Q5 - Refinement
Thanks, both! Drove the Disco extensively over 3000 kms in Iceland, and was left impressed. Yes, the interiors are not in the same league as its German or Swedish counterparts, but in terms of dynamics and comfort, I had no complaint. OTR for landmark, as mentioned in another post, is about the same as X3 20d Luxury Line.

60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan-23551248_10155982750978760_178037109900362156_o.jpg

60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan-23674975_10155982752433760_2408660564423909671_o.jpg

Also, got the post-discount pricing for Q5, with the technology pack variant falling bang in the league of other Germans. There's still a margin of ~3L to be shaved off.

60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan-screen-shot-20190202-6.45.35-pm.png


Final shortlist now for the luxury option (In this order of priority for now) :

- X3 20D Luxury Line
- Q5 Premium Plus Technology
- X5 Expedition
- Discovery Landmark Edition
mathranik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porsche Macan R launched @ Rs. 76.84 lakh dZired The Indian Car Scene 7 12th April 2019 00:13
Porsche Macan SUV launched in India @ Rs. 1 crore MunnabhaiMBBS The Indian Car Scene 35 6th October 2016 17:21
Porsche Macan Turbo with Performance Package launched at Rs. 1.4 crore Aditya Super-Cars & Imports in India 0 7th September 2016 18:13
Porsche Macan - baby SUV coupe' FrozeninTime The International Automotive Scene 79 4th June 2014 18:16
Suzuki SX4 or NHC type 1 second hand EDIT: SX4 now booked - EDIT 1 -Swift VDi booked GeekSrik Hatchbacks 126 24th June 2007 12:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:35.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks