Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2019, 20:50   #16
BHPian

re: 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan

Thanks again, guys.

Consolidating all thoughts, and after consulting a few friends, here's what I think :

- Received a lot of negative feedback on, both, the dealer and manufacturer, regarding their attitude, after-sales experience and spare availability.

- BMW X3 20d Luxury Line is available OTR at 55.00L to me, after negotiations. That with an Abarth/ Polo GT TSI would still be <64L, and I am comfortable with that.

- Mercedes GLC 220d Progressive is available OTR 54.00L, including accessories worth 63k, post negotiation. This, with the Abarth / Polo GT TSI looks pretty good to me, too.

- Finally, my friend from Ggn is speaking to the Merc dealer for a stellar deal on GLE (I understand the model is being discontinued) for a ballpark 60L OTR.

Given the above, what is the most optimal solution for me?
Old 29th January 2019, 21:26   #17
BHPian

The X3 + Abarth Punto/ GT TSI makes the best combination. The X3 is better put together car than the GLC and is a more fresh option. You can choose between any of the two hot hatches and you are done with a great garage!
Also, considering you get a deal for around 60L for the GLE, which will be great deal, would you go with a hatchback too or just with the GLE?
DPetrolHead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 21:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would buy the outgoing BMW 3 series in petrol. I am sure you would get some crazy discounts toward March-April just before the G 20 would arrive. So maybe a 45-47 lakh OTR and a Jeep Compass diesel in Longitude trim.

It will take your 60 lakh budget up by maybe 4-5 lakhs but it will be one garage to die for.

All the best.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 07:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post
The X3 + Abarth Punto/ GT TSI makes the best combination. The X3 is better put together car than the GLC and is a more fresh option. You can choose between any of the two hot hatches and you are done with a great garage!
Also, considering you get a deal for around 60L for the GLE, which will be great deal, would you go with a hatchback too or just with the GLE?
Leaning towards X3 Luxury Line + Abarth for now - I have proposed 52L OTR for X3, and am waiting on the dealer to come back. The GLE 250d was offered to me last evening at 59L OTR with the condition of payment within 48 hours. If I go for that, I am signing up for an out-going older gen vehicle (originally launched in '12) with compromised interiors but true SUV genes. I might then delay my second car by a few months. However, is GLE >> X3 in the current scheme of things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I would buy the outgoing BMW 3 series in petrol. I am sure you would get some crazy discounts toward March-April just before the G 20 would arrive. So maybe a 45-47 lakh OTR and a Jeep Compass diesel in Longitude trim.

It will take your 60 lakh budget up by maybe 4-5 lakhs but it will be one garage to die for.

All the best.
Thanks - Not very keen on a luxury sedan, owing to low GC. Jeep Compass though is a great car to have in the garage, if I can squeeze in the budget.
Old 30th January 2019, 08:40   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
- BMW X3 20d Luxury Line is available OTR at 55.00L to me, after negotiations. That with an Abarth/ Polo GT TSI would still be <64L, and I am comfortable with that.

- Mercedes GLC 220d Progressive is available OTR 54.00L, including accessories worth 63k, post negotiation. This, with the Abarth / Polo GT TSI looks pretty good to me, too.

- Finally, my friend from Ggn is speaking to the Merc dealer for a stellar deal on GLE (I understand the model is being discontinued) for a ballpark 60L OTR.
Since you are aligned on a crossover, I would suggest the first option – the X3 overall is a superior package and newer as well.
And ideal to stay clear of the GLE, even if there are huge discounts; it really feel old and the new generation reviews are already out internationally.

If you are going for a crossover in that segment, I would suggest choosing between X3 and XC60.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 09:36   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, is GLE >> X3 in the current scheme of things?
I would avoid the GLE too, since it's too old now. Assuming you are self driven, the X3 will be far more enjoyable to drive than the bulky GLE. But having said that, do check the rear seat comfort of the X3. We are a similar family as yours and own the prev gen X3 (F25) and quite often travel five up with 2 kids seated in their respective car seats at the back with one adult. With 2 car seats up, the comfort levels go down drastically for the adult. Also the rear seat comfort without kids or car seats is just about average. The rear is spacious enough, but the rear seats don't have body hugging mouldings and the seat cushions are quite hard and the seating somewhat low. The GLE being bigger and wider may be better at accommodating the car seats + adult. Seat comfort and overall luxury quotient too should be higher than the X3.

X3 + GTI combo is what I have and it works very well for me

Edit : X5 suggestion below is a very good one!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th January 2019 at 09:38.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 09:37   #22
BHPian

Why not look at the outgoing X5 (was available for less than 60L on road in December) if there are a few units still there as it would be the perfect car for seating 5 in comfort and has a nice V6 diesel to keep you happy. You could combine it with a small cheap hatchback like the Wagon R AMT or Ignis AMT or Santro AMT which can be used strictly in the city. I would consider this the ideal 2 car garage with both cars having specific intended usage. An Abarth with a German does not make much sense as the highways and twisty roads where you would be able to enjoy the Abarth are places where you would invariably take your German luxury car. An Abarth is not the easiest car to drive in traffic and has an iffy after sale support. A second hatch from Maruti or Hyundai should suit you well. Just my thoughts.
ToyotaFan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 10:13   #23
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I completely agree with Mr. ToyotaFan here. The X5 has great deals running on it and should be a great buy. Couple it with the recently launched i20 Asta CVT with 6 airbags(as per recent reports it will be available only from Feb or March though) and you should be set.

The GLE might be old but is about half a size/segment above the Q3 and should offer you more comfort over the X3.
AYP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 11:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Since you are aligned on a crossover, I would suggest the first option – the X3 overall is a superior package and newer as well.
And ideal to stay clear of the GLE, even if there are huge discounts; it really feel old and the new generation reviews are already out internationally.

If you are going for a crossover in that segment, I would suggest choosing between X3 and XC60.
Thanks for validating my apprehension on the GLE. It's now X3 as the first choice, while I try and confirm the horror stories on Volvo (Ahmedabad) - After all, how bad could it be?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I would avoid the GLE too, since it's too old now. Assuming you are self driven, the X3 will be far more enjoyable to drive than the bulky GLE. But having said that, do check the rear seat comfort of the X3. We are a similar family as yours and own the prev gen X3 (F25) and quite often travel five up with 2 kids seated in their respective car seats at the back with one adult. With 2 car seats up, the comfort levels go down drastically for the adult. Also the rear seat comfort without kids or car seats is just about average. The rear is spacious enough, but the rear seats don't have body hugging mouldings and the seat cushions are quite hard and the seating somewhat low. The GLE being bigger and wider may be better at accommodating the car seats + adult. Seat comfort and overall luxury quotient too should be higher than the X3.

X3 + GTI combo is what I have and it works very well for me

Edit : X5 suggestion below is a very good one!
The exact reply I was looking for - Shall go for a comprehensive TD of the X3 today. I might end up with a similar garage as yours, except for having a more humble GT TSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Why not look at the outgoing X5 (was available for less than 60L on road in December) if there are a few units still there as it would be the perfect car for seating 5 in comfort and has a nice V6 diesel to keep you happy. You could combine it with a small cheap hatchback like the Wagon R AMT or Ignis AMT or Santro AMT which can be used strictly in the city. I would consider this the ideal 2 car garage with both cars having specific intended usage. An Abarth with a German does not make much sense as the highways and twisty roads where you would be able to enjoy the Abarth are places where you would invariably take your German luxury car. An Abarth is not the easiest car to drive in traffic and has an iffy after sale support. A second hatch from Maruti or Hyundai should suit you well. Just my thoughts.
Brilliant suggestion, thanks. Let me scout for an X5 (didn't find one at the A'bad dealership). Also, would most likely stay away from the Abarth (sad!) and probably get a GT TSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I completely agree with Mr. ToyotaFan here. The X5 has great deals running on it and should be a great buy. Couple it with the recently launched i20 Asta CVT with 6 airbags(as per recent reports it will be available only from Feb or March though) and you should be set.

The GLE might be old but is about half a size/segment above the Q3 and should offer you more comfort over the X3.
Thanks, and makes sense. X5 would be a segment up too!
mathranik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 14:16   #25
BHPian

As has been mentioned earlier, I'd advise against the GLE and GLC, they're too old and the former is about to be replaced.

For the primary car, choose between: BMW X3 / Volvo XC60 / Audi Q5

For the runabout, choose between: VW Polo GT TSI / Hyundai i20 CVT / Honda Jazz CVT

This, I think would be an ideal garage!

Last edited by Aaron:) : 30th January 2019 at 14:18.
Aaron:) is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 16:17   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The answer is easy. If it was for a single user, I'd say buy a 60-lakh car (530d, or any other in the price range). However, when it's for family usage, 2 is always better than one. What's more, many 40 lakh cars like the Kodiaq & Endeavour 3.2 offer you almost what the 60-lakh rupee crossovers do. I was going to tell you to buy an Endeavour 3.2 + Octavia vRS (both would come to ~65 lakhs OTR in GJ). However, I see the discussion has moved on:

Quote:
BMW X3 20d Luxury Line is available OTR at 55.00L to me, after negotiations. That with an Abarth/ Polo GT TSI would still be <64L, and I am comfortable with that.
This looks good. But considering the cars that you have already owned, go for a 3 liter. Look harder for an X5 3.0 and you might just get lucky. I don't think you'll be satisfied with a 2.0 (your profile also says you've owned a Q7 3.0).

If you can't find a 3-liter diesel, IMHO, you should strongly consider the Endeavour + vRS combination.

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2019 at 16:18.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 17:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
As has been mentioned earlier, I'd advise against the GLE and GLC, they're too old and the former is about to be replaced.

For the primary car, choose between: BMW X3 / Volvo XC60 / Audi Q5

For the runabout, choose between: VW Polo GT TSI / Hyundai i20 CVT / Honda Jazz CVT

This, I think would be an ideal garage!

With this, I have completely ruled out the Mercs. One of the two cars would be a bimmer, and the other most likely a VW. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The answer is easy. If it was for a single user, I'd say buy a 60-lakh car (530d, or any other in the price range). However, when it's for family usage, 2 is always better than one. What's more, many 40 lakh cars like the Kodiaq & Endeavour 3.2 offer you almost what the 60-lakh rupee crossovers do. I was going to tell you to buy an Endeavour 3.2 + Octavia vRS (both would come to ~65 lakhs OTR in GJ). However, I see the discussion has moved on:

This looks good. But considering the cars that you have already owned, go for a 3 liter. Look harder for an X5 3.0 and you might just get lucky. I don't think you'll be satisfied with a 2.0 (your profile also says you've owned a Q7 3.0).

If you can't find a 3-liter diesel, IMHO, you should strongly consider the Endeavour + vRS combination.
Well-said, and you have a keen eye for details of course. I and my Q7 were inseparable till I had to move abroad. As of now, my garage is a NX200 and Countryman JCW.

I just got off the phone with BMW dealer, and I was told of a deal on X5 Expedition X (Misses out on some key features) driven 1700 kms (Went for a media event, and not a media drive, I was told) - OTR 60L with extended BSI coverage. I know, what has been said in the past on this forum about such cars, but here is I asking once again - should I or should I not?

I would be the first owner, and the warranty starts from the day of registration. Ah, the confusion!
Old 30th January 2019, 17:35   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just got off the phone with BMW dealer, and I was told of a deal on X5 Expedition X (Misses out on some key features) driven 1700 kms (Went for a media event, and not a media drive, I was told) - OTR 60L with extended BSI coverage.
I don't like media / test-drive cars, but if the 1700 km are genuine (it's rather low) & the price is mouth-watering, I would consider. Go check it out & let us know how she feels.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 21:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:

I just got off the phone with BMW dealer, and I was told of a deal on X5 Expedition X (Misses out on some key features) driven 1700 kms (Went for a media event, and not a media drive, I was told) - OTR 60L with extended BSI coverage. I know, what has been said in the past on this forum about such cars, but here is I asking once again - should I or should I not?

I would be the first owner, and the warranty starts from the day of registration. Ah, the confusion!
I would say 60L on road for a 1700km car is a bit too much. New cars were going for the similar price and if I remember correctly someone on the forum got a deal for 59L on road Mumbai. I would not pay more than 57L-58L on road for such a car. I believe you should check out the car thoroughly and bargain hard.
ToyotaFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 23:06   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The expedition is not worth it. It just misses out on too many features. Its like buying an X5 just for the sake of buying an X5.

I would say stick to the X3 if you want a premium SUV, the deal you have got is pretty good. Along with that some hatch/small suv which will do the job will take care of your garage.

On the other hand, you can look for a pre owned Cooper S, and maybe get an Endeavour or Kodiaq to go with it.

Edit - Wait till March to see the best pricing on the premium cars.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 30th January 2019 at 23:07.
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks