Team-BHP - 60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   60-lakh rupee conundrum? EDIT: Booked Porsche Macan (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/206076-60-lakh-rupee-conundrum-edit-booked-porsche-macan.html)

Hello, Family!

(I have searched for a similar thread, but couldn't find any and hence starting a new one)

This is a slightly peculiar query. My family of 5 - I and my wife, two kids (3 and 1) and my mom would be moving back from Jakarta to Ahmedabad late next month, after a brief stint of a couple of years here. Our garage is made up of a Lexus NX200 and Mini Cooper Countryman JCW, and I hate to bid adieu to them, both.

Now for the confusion - Of a total budget of ~INR60L, either one or two cars would need to be purchased, based on the following requirements :

Family car : If it is just one car, it should ideally be a go-anywhere, do-anything in comfort SUV. Ride comfort is of paramount importance, on the back seat. Needless to say, at this budget, the car should ideally come with ISOFIX option for car seat.

Tourer : We as a family have been on many local and international roadtrips, some exceeding 5,000 kms and hence a highway cruiser is a requirement.

Safety : Loaded with passive and active safety features, and to make it less vague, I am happy to trade a few creature comforts for more safety equipments / tech.

Brand & After-sales : Before moving to Indonesia, I drove the Q3 and was pretty happy overall with the sales & after-sales experience and support from Audi. The brand is perceived luxurious and 'conforms with the society' if I may. The latter isn't my requirement, but comes pretty strongly from the other family stakeholders. For me, the spares and service (network) should be sufficiently available and not leave me stranded or disgruntled. (Skoda / LR horror tales)

Features : Great-to-have features would be a brilliant sound system (Eg. Bowers & Wilkins in Volvos, Burmester in GLC, Bose in Audi), Sun-screen blinds, non-finicky console screen (I hate the controls on my NX200) with great display, high-quality seats (that are 'toddler proof', and hence avoiding Beige and such shades), electrically operated boot and a panoramic sunroof.

Options considered:

Single Cars

Mercedes GLC
LR Discovery
Volvo XC60
BMW X3
Audi Q5
Volvo S90 (Some crazy deals running on that)

Combos

Volvo XC40 + Tata Hexa
Skoda Kodiaq + Mini Cooper Clubman (Pre-owned)
Ford Endeavour + Punto Abarth (Combo lacks brand power unfortunately)

Some points to note :
  1. The cars would be bought and used in Ahmedabad
  2. Kids would grow up, but I would not and hence mixing practicality with some fun wouldn't hurt
  3. Re-sale value of the vehicles isn't a big consideration
  4. We drive around 30,000 kms / year

Thank you very much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathranik (Post 4535515)
Single Cars

Combos

Ideally, if I am asked to commute or other family members have to commute [grocery, market, banks, schools], I will prefer a combo. Maybe a Polo 1.2 Tsi or Abarth or something similar which is fun and practical. Its a pain taking out your barge even for small distances, to crowded places, parking it everywhere...you get the drift. The other SUV can be a Volvo XC-60 or Kodiaq or whatever catches your fancy.

My choice would be
1. Endeavour + GTI
2. Q5 + Abarth/GT-TSI

For the budget I would suggest combo options – one for the big road trips and another one for city runabouts.

1) Mercedes C-Class 220d & Tata Tiago JTP
2) Mini Countryman Cooper SD & Ford Ecosport Titanium+ 1.5 TDCi

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadya (Post 4535625)
My choice would be
1. Endeavour + GTI
2. Q5 + Abarth/GT-TSI

Endeavour + GTI lacks brand appeal. Maybe a GT TSI + Volvo XC60 will be better in terms of city runabout + highway touring ability. Q5 may be smaller than needed IMO.

A combination of SUV and hatchback will check on all of your requirements! From the combinations you have suggested, Volvo XC40 and Tata Hexa makes a really strong case. You can give a shot to it.

If you are open to other combinations, a lot of BHPians have given really great combinations but I personally loved the idea given by @aadya of Endeavour and Polo GTI. This combination wont have brand power, but it will be the most VFM proposition as for now. Do give a thought on that too, if brand value is not that big of a concern.

Cheers!

Thank you, all, for all the valuable suggestions. Another question - Is it possible / advisable to pick up the luxury car on a 36-month lease? Is it easy for an individual to do that in India?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPetrolHead (Post 4535730)
A combination of SUV and hatchback will check on all of your requirements! From the combinations you have suggested, Volvo XC40 and Tata Hexa makes a really strong case. You can give a shot to it.
If you are open to other combinations, a lot of BHPians have given really great combinations but I personally loved the idea given by @aadya of Endeavour and Polo GTI. This combination wont have brand power, but it will be the most VFM proposition as for now. Do give a thought on that too, if brand value is not that big of a concern.

Cheers!

Makes sense! I quite like the Endeavor + GTI / Abarth combo, except for the lack of brand appeal - something that concerns the home ministry. Pretty sold on SUV + Hatch combo though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapish (Post 4535672)
Endeavour + GTI lacks brand appeal. Maybe a GT TSI + Volvo XC60 will be better in terms of city runabout + highway touring ability. Q5 may be smaller than needed IMO.

XC60 + GT TSI would be a killer combination, but it exceeds my budget by ~12L. XC40 would fit the bill, but that is essentially two hatchbacks (Or a crossover and hatch). Not sure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 4535665)
For the budget I would suggest combo options – one for the big road trips and another one for city runabouts.

1) Mercedes C-Class 220d & Tata Tiago JTP
2) Mini Countryman Cooper SD & Ford Ecosport Titanium+ 1.5 TDCi

#1 is very interesting, thank you. Shall consider! I wonder why you suggested the C220 over SUVs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadya (Post 4535625)
My choice would be
1. Endeavour + GTI
2. Q5 + Abarth/GT-TSI

Thank you. #2 is appealing (very). Is the current-gen Q5 a favorite among equals (Read X3 / GLC / XC60)? Also, this would go way beyond 60L, don't you think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4535540)
Ideally, if I am asked to commute or other family members have to commute [grocery, market, banks, schools], I will prefer a combo. Maybe a Polo 1.2 Tsi or Abarth or something similar which is fun and practical. Its a pain taking out your barge even for small distances, to crowded places, parking it everywhere...you get the drift. The other SUV can be a Volvo XC-60 or Kodiaq or whatever catches your fancy.

Absolutely onboard with your sentiments - and hence, I am leaning towards the combo myself. Kodiaq + Abarth, you reckon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathranik (Post 4535746)
#1 is very interesting, thank you. Shall consider! I wonder why you suggested the C220 over SUVs.

Couple of reasons:
Another option – look for a sparingly used 530d + Ecosport / Tiago JTP / Punto Abarth :)

Quote:

Another question - Is it possible / advisable to pick up the luxury car on a 36-month lease? Is it easy for an individual to do that in India?

BMW has a leasing option and a fairly decent one at that; not quite sure about the others.

Quote:

Kodiaq + Abarth, you reckon?
Considering after-sales is important for you, a Skoda and a Fiat (!), an Abarth at that, might not be a very peace-of-mind-inspiring garage.

Quote:

Makes sense! I quite like the Endeavor + GTI / Abarth combo, except for the lack of brand appeal - something that concerns the home ministry. Pretty sold on SUV + Hatch combo though!

If the brand appeal is an important factor then I guess your own combination of Hexa+ XC40 would make great sense.

Also, if you are open to slightly increase in your budget, you can get a Disco Sport and a Tiago JTP. It will be a proper SUV and hatchback combo. Here's how:

The Tiago JTP is a new launch and retails at 7.29L (let's take it 7L) on road Ahmedabad.

Budget left =60-7 = 53L

The Discovery Sport Pure and SE trims cost 49L and 58L respectively on road Ahmedabad. Since this car has been here for a long time, you will be able to get some discounts off easily, maybe a 2018 manufacturerd model and fit the SE trim in your budget. I hope you get HSE trim within or around the ballpark of your budget. stupid:
This way both home ministry and you will be satisfied and all the boxes will get checked! A perfect win win situation!

P.S All on road prices taken from CarWale app

Cheers!

Any particular reason for not having Fortuner in the combo?

Fortuner+Polo TSI/Punto Abarth

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 4535813)
Couple of reasons:
  • I personally don’t find the price difference between a luxury sedan and its corresponding crossover counterpart justifiable – e.g.; GLC vs C. And the facelift made the C even better; the interiors are fabulous and should be a comfortable place for your family.
  • Our highways are in pretty good shape now and unless you go for mild off-roading, you don’t need a crossover.

Another option – look for a sparingly used 530d + Ecosport / Tiago JTP / Punto Abarth :)

Fair points - However, not very keen on luxury sedans owing to their low GC and Ahmedabad's oddly designed speed bumps, especially on a fully laden car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4535865)
BMW has a leasing option and a fairly decent one at that; not quite sure about the others.

Considering after-sales is important for you, a Skoda and a Fiat (!), an Abarth at that, might not be a very peace-of-mind-inspiring garage.

Shall check out the leasing options tomorrow as well. Point well taken on Skoda+Fiat. Shall avoid one of the two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPetrolHead (Post 4535885)
If the brand appeal is an important factor then I guess your own combination of Hexa+ XC40 would make great sense.
Also, if you are open to slightly increase in your budget, you can get a Disco Sport and a Tiago JTP. It will be a proper SUV and hatchback combo. Here's how:
The Tiago JTP is a new launch and retails at 7.29L (let's take it 7L) on road Ahmedabad.
Budget left =60-7 = 53L
The Discovery Sport Pure and SE trims cost 49L and 58L respectively on road Ahmedabad. Since this car has been here for a long time, you will be able to get some discounts off easily, maybe a 2018 manufacturerd model and fit the SE trim in your budget. I hope you get HSE trim within or around the ballpark of your budget. stupid:
This way both home ministry and you will be satisfied and all the boxes will get checked! A perfect win win situation!
P.S All on road prices taken from CarWale app

Cheers!

I was keen on considering Discovery as well, but was surprised that no one here brought it up - is it due to a dismal after-sales experience?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramsagar (Post 4535887)
Any particular reason for not having Fortuner in the combo?
Fortuner+Polo TSI/Punto Abarth

Have owned T-Fort twice in the past (including the latest Gen) and now with the kids, I find the ride somewhat unsettling - though this combination does tick all the boxes, and leaves me with some change too.

Your budget can have you plenty of choices and nicely confuse you. May be better to start with a blank sheet of paper and write down what you like and dislike from the suggestions here and decide.

My choices are again some combos

Since you are also open to try used luxury cars which is a great idea because unlike other countries it is easy in India to find sparingly used luxury cars.

1. Hexa + Used 530d (our classifieds section has one with barely 3800 km on ODO at 40L link)

2. Your choice of Kodiaq/Endeavour + Used Mini Cooper

Quote:

Absolutely onboard with your sentiments - and hence, I am leaning towards the combo myself. Kodiaq + Abarth, you reckon?

As mentioned by a fellow D, while combination would keep you happy [& grinning], the after sales is one worry.

After reading few replies [as well as yours], can I suggest you to check out the Toyota Fortuner as well as Toyota Innova? Please make sure Fortuner is inflated to 29 psi [as recommended].

For commutes, you have a host of FTD cars to chose from.

# Ford - Figo S/ Freestyle
# Fiat - Abarth
# MUL - Baleno RS
# Hyundai - don't know which car to recommend between Grand i10/i20, but these are good hatches and will do the job.
# Honda - WR-V, Jazz
# Tata - Tiago JTP
# VW - Polo Tsi

SUV's

# VW - Tiguan
# Skoda - Kodiaq, been hearing of RS variant to be launched
# Toyota - Fortuner/Crysta
# Hyundai - Tucson [its a CBU I assume]
# Ford - Endeavor

And a host of models to chose from Audi [Q5], BMW [X3], Volvo [XC-60], Mercedes [GLC].

Hope I confused you more, but I would pick a small/cheap city runabout which gives me max bang for buck [Figo S/Freestyle/pre-owned EcoSport] and spend the rest where it matters.

I have a humble garage of a FTD hatch [Swift ZXi+] and a SUV [Scorpio 4WD S10]., so do understand your POV :).

On second thoughts, maybe a Crysta & a Xc40 may just fit in your budget if you manage to get some discounts.