Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2019, 09:29   #1
BHPian

Luxury SUV with the best rear seat in the 60 - 80 lakh bracket?

Hi Team,

We are looking to pick a luxury SUV for my father. My dad was keen on picking one for quite sometime but I kept pushing it away as parking was a little tight. We decided to go ahead with the purchase now (More of status symbol if I should put it bluntly. Everyone in my dad's circle has one).

Our current ride is Innova 2013 and apart from Crysta there are not many options that seem to give Captain seats at the rear. Usage is on an average 100 km/day with mix of highway and City (50-50) driving.

The criteria really boil down only a few things:
  1. SUV is a must. I was pitching for sedan but he prefers ones with easier ingress. (Not too high or not too low). A 7 seater is preferred if available.
  2. Rear Seat comfort - this is of utmost importance as my dad will be sitting here. If captain seats are there in a model that will be given a very high priority. My dad is 5'8"
  3. Ride has to be smooth as he takes naps in the car
  4. Car will be driven by a driver 80% to 90% of the time. Occasionally my dad will drive if driver is not there.
  5. I would prefer engines with fun to drive nature.

Do any cars in this bracket have recliner kind of seats. If so that will be super useful.

I am yet to test drive any cars in this range. I would love to get some feedback from the bhpians before we take the plunge.
Old 18th March 2019, 11:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Luxury SUV with the best rear seat in the 60 - 80 lakh bracket?

How about the Porsche Cayenne? Nothing can beat the snob value of the Porsche.

Dont think that it comes in the captain seat variant though.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 11:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

For that price bracket, can't think of too many new SUVs that meet your criteria.

If you are open to exploring the used market, please consider a Mercedes GL/GLS or a GLE/ML.

These are extremely large cars though, so if size is an issue please consider Volvo's XC60. It's a supremely sorted package and an absolute treat! Do check if the XC90 falls within your budget, in case the 3rd row option is a must. I'm sure Volvo will consider offering you a good deal if you express genuine interest in buying a car.

Also, the Q7 comes to mind. A sparingly using example of the new generation car will be perfect for your requirements.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 11:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
These are extremely large cars though, so if size is an issue please consider Volvo's XC60. It's a supremely sorted package and an absolute treat!
I second that! The XC60 is indeed a very luxurious and sorted package!

Additionally, you can also look at the Lexus NX300h. It will be exclusive, reliable and luxurious as well!

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 12:06   #5
BHPian

I can think of 3 options (budget may go slightly off):

1. BMW X3 - Nothing speaks more "snob appeal" to our fathers than those menacing 'Angel Eyes'. Off lately, dealerships are offering good lucrative deals which you could capitalise by booking in March 2019 itself.

2. Volvo XC60 - Has created quite a niche product market for itself, and the product is fantastic. I am only concerned about the ASS. It'll be nice if existing owners can comment on the reliability and service aspect.

3. Lexus NX300h - It's a package, which is kind of overpriced. Also, it's a petrol hybrid, and since your daily run is 100Kms, I'll believe you'd be better off with a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Additionally, you can also look at the Lexus NX300h. It will be exclusive, reliable and luxurious as well!
sharktale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 13:24   #6
BHPian

Seeing your requirements which puts more emphasis on seat comfort and ride quality, i'll recommend the Audi Q7 or the Volvo XC-60. I found that both of these SUV's offer great under-thigh support in rear seats which is somewhat lacking in other models. Other SUV's like GLS/GLE, X5 are on their last legs with new generation models just around the corner.
Dhruv29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 17:12   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the quick revert guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
How about the Porsche Cayenne? Nothing can beat the snob value of the Porsche.
Is there any variant in this price range. I was under the impression it now more than A Crore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
These are extremely large cars though, so if size is an issue please consider Volvo's XC60. .
Normally we are not averse to a used car. We recently picked a used Skoda Rapid. But in this segment it is got to be a brand new car. We will hold them for a long time if the car is reliable

As of now we are quite open to all brands except Lexus.

If the car is longer than Crysta it may be a challenge but we hope to get this sorted by asking our neighbors to swap the parking slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
I second that! The XC60 is indeed a very luxurious and sorted package!

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I can think of 3 options (budget may go slightly off):

1. BMW X3 -

2. Volvo XC60 -

3. Lexus NX300h -
Volvo seems to have taken over the hearts of BHPians with latest XC series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
. Other SUV's like GLS/GLE, X5 are on their last legs with new generation models just around the corner.
X5 seems to have a quite good discounts going around based on the forum posts.

Time for me to visit the dealerships for test drive. Hope to share more feedback with you all by the end of this week.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 22:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Is there any variant in this price range. I was under the impression it now more than A Crore.
No, it will be around 1,3 Ex Showroom besides the rear seat is not something to write about.

Quote:
Volvo seems to have taken over the hearts of BHPians with latest XC series
I will also suggest that, many useful features including Air Suspension but I have not ridden sitting in the back, perhaps you should take the test drive.

Quote:
X5 seems to have a quite good discounts going around based on the forum posts.
Yes, but just like Porsche, horrible bad seat. Even bad then Cayenne. You sit very low. Front seat comfort on both is very good though. X5 does has a body roll so try checking M variant though it will be little expensive. Do factor, X5 will be old in a month or so and the newer one is very different & expensive. It will be more comfortable due to Air suspension but if your Dad does not like the sitting posture on the existing one then no use of waiting, newer one is exactly the same like current.

Quote:
Usage is on an average 100 km/day with mix of highway and City (50-50) driving.

(More of status symbol if I should put it bluntly. Everyone in my dad's circle has one).
Unfortunately, there are no SUV's that meet both. I have not yet seen the new GLE/ GLS and maybe worth waiting for but can't think of anything else except LC--200 but that will be too far from your intended budget and has it's own problems.

A practical option at this time can be a combination of a New Petrol Innova with captain seats + a sedan like C class for those club visits if you definitely need status thing.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 08:40   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Luxury SUV with the best rear seat in the 60 - 80 lakh bracket?

Would strongly recommend your Dad to sit in the front seat - related thread (Why the fascination with the back seat?!!). The front passenger seat is more comfortable, offers more legroom, the seatback can recline more, has better air-conditioning & might be safer too. Whenever I'm being chauffeur-driven, it's always in the front seat. Think of the front seat as "first class" and the rear seat as "business class" (or "economy" in most cars)....which would you choose?

Do this and a plethora of options just opened up for you . Heck, even a C-Class is damn comfortable in the front passenger seat.

If your Dad is still keen on the back seat only, there is just one answer = the E-Class. Nothing touches that limousine IMHO. Get over the SUV fascination. If you want something even more mega, lots of current-gen pre-worshipped S-Class' in your budget.

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2019 at 08:42.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 10:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Ride has to be smooth as he takes naps in the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would strongly recommend your Dad to sit in the front seat -
Given he will be napping in the car, he'd better not be on the front seat. Not that the rear seat is vastly better for dozing off.

However wholeheartedly agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Think of the front seat as "first class" and the rear seat as "business class"
Personally, I'd want to be in the driver's seat any given day.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 10:40   #11
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The criteria really boil down only a few things:
  1. SUV is a must. I was pitching for sedan but he prefers ones with easier ingress. (Not too high or not too low). A 7 seater is preferred if available.
  2. Rear Seat comfort - this is of utmost importance as my dad will be sitting here. If captain seats are there in a model that will be given a very high priority. My dad is 5'8"
  3. Ride has to be smooth as he takes naps in the car
  4. Car will be driven by a driver 80% to 90% of the time. Occasionally my dad will drive if driver is not there.
  5. I would prefer engines with fun to drive nature.

Do any cars in this bracket have recliner kind of seats. If so that will be super useful.
The Mercedes V Class matches your requirements perfectly, only issue is the van/MPV shape. If you are ok with the shape of the car, it matches your needs as it has really comfortable recliner seats with easy ingress and egress.

If you must get a SUV, the Volvo XC60 seems to be the best out of the lot IMO.

Other alternate options could be -
  • Pre owned Land Cruiser LC200? (However its difficult to find one with low mileage)
  • Volvo S60 Cross Country? (Easy ingress and egress with XC60 like space)
//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 10:46   #12
Team-BHP Support

Try the Volvo V90 Cross Country. High enough and the rear seats are decent!
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 11:08   #13
Team-BHP Support

For the budget (and if you can ignore the SUV bit) get an E-Class, or a C if the parking is tight.

If SUV is a must, look at the XC60 or the GLC (I believe a facelift is due on the latter).
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 14:41   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly - if there is no need for an SUV, I'd recommend the BMW 6GT:

- ingress and egress would be easier than a high slung SUV, and a low slung sedan.
- Brilliant engines in both petrol and diesel trim
- air suspension for a smooth ride - keep in mind though that air suspensions aren't the best for Indian conditions in terms of reliability, but thankfully BMW has some brilliant maintenance packages to help you out

That being said, also have a look at the E Class if he is open to sedans, but I just find the 6GT to be that much more practical and well loaded.

Alternately, in the SUV space you have two options:

1) Pick up a higher segment outgoing model at a steal! Options would include the X5, XC90, and GLE which have great discounts on them (at least BMW and Mercedes are offering brilliant discounts, and the XC90 is getting there). Of these, the XC90 and X5 offer the most equipment but keep in mind that these 3 aren't cars you can walk into - you will have to climb in and out, and there will be a fair amount of body roll - nothing to worry about though coming from an Innova.
2) Look at newer models in the market which fit squarely in your budget - the XC60, X3 get my vote here. XC60 has more gadgets like air suspension, etc.
3) Since this is purely a status buy, I'd also suggest looking at something a little out of the ordinary - Yes, I am talking about the X4. It is not as common as the others so it will definitely have a few eyeballs rolling, but neither is it as practical as the others - so you may want to retain the Innova for daily chauffeur driven running.
lamborghini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 16:12   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mercedes V class is ideals earlier suggested or then wait for the new GLE! The new one is outstanding as per spec list.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed