Team-BHP - Toyota Camry vs Honda Accord vs Skoda Superb vs VW Passat
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Toyota Camry vs Honda Accord vs Skoda Superb vs VW Passat (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/208155-toyota-camry-vs-honda-accord-vs-skoda-superb-vs-vw-passat-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4570195)
Would a Corolla ever get more votes than an Octavia / Jetta? Going by this poll, guess we can't rule that out. Never say never.

The Corolla is a decent car but he looks, but as soon as you enter the car, it feels like you entered a boring play.

The Civic may win that segment poll!

Quote:

Would a Corolla ever get more votes than an Octavia / Jetta? Going by this poll, guess we can't rule that out. Never say never.

A lot of it boils down to the improvements Toyota is making across their product lineup. If American reviews are to be believed, the new Corolla is going to be a lot better than the current one. Much sportier looking too.

Though you have to give the Germans credit where it's due... Their DSGs and service network do help in making competing brands look good. :uncontrol

This is a segment where people prefer comfort and luxury over anything else. Barring few% most of the cars are chauffeur driven. How fast the car can do Buddh circuit or how quick you can take a corner is hardly going to matter. Camry excels in these area plus the car has got tonne's of road presence(ugly grille aside).

D1 segment cars the story is different. You cannot sell just because you offer best comfort/luxury. People use these cars for self drive and expect a good balance between luxury,comfort, performance and handling. The Octavia/Jetta, Civic simply beat the Corolla here.

Voted for the Camry only because of two important factors -

1. No-nonsense Toyota Reliability that holds good for all Camry's ever sold

2. The rear is adequately spacious - typical of what a customer in this segment would be looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiragM (Post 4569419)
Camry What you won't like

• Expensive! The VW Passat & Skoda Superb are both priced noticeably lower
• A couple of missing essentials (rpm counter, Android Auto / Apple CarPlay, folding rear seat...)
• Back seat is better suited to 2 adults, rather than 3

Passat What you won't like

• Long-term reliability concerns over the DSG transmission
• Volkswagen's dealership & service experiences are a hit or miss

Accord What you won't like

• An overpriced CBU!
• Misses many rear seat features that the Camry
• Excessively soft suspension means an unsettled high-speed ride

Superb What you won't like

• DSG is known for breakdowns.
• Skoda's scary after-sales service.

The Accord was ruled out at the onset. No CBUs here especially one that barely sells.

Then we had 2 options whose transmissions are made by gremlins. Yes the DSG. I interpret it as "Das Schlingel Gremlins".

That left the Camry. Any "real" driver can tell rpms by ear. Besides the automatic transmission is going to do the shifting for you so an RPM meter is practically redundant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4569870)

The Camry has much improved, no doubt. It's an extremely well-rounded luxury sedan now. However, I like the VW Passat a lot more.

Quote:

And now, it's leading the poll on an enthusiasts website :Shockked: :D. Despite being so much more expensive than the Europeans.The Camry has come a long way indeed.

Voted for the Camry. Why? Well because I booked one! :) Most D segment owners are chauffeured. Who in their right mind wants to steer a ship in city traffic? Besides I like "reliable", even if it means boring, specially if "excitement" comes in the form of an unreliable DSG.

We did consider the Passat but found it dated and boring. The Camry had a feeling of being "in 2019" and offered more rear seat luxury.

Voted Skoda Superb for the space it offers, tank like build and elegant style!

--surjaonwheelz

Voted for the Superb! It’s a great car but the vote went for Superb because I did not notice that the Passat there in the mix – true to the way VW has kept it so anonymous.
The Superb is good, but for me the Passat works better. It has a classy stance and design and unlike its sibling it doesn’t feel like a large limousine.

It is a matter of mind winning over the heart. What a stonking set of engines the Superb has and it is super fun to drive. However, keeping in mind long term reliability and excellent customer service, the Camry gets my vote. I in fact like the styling of the new Camry.

Went with the Skoda Superb Diesel

Good Value relative to the rest, Good Looks, Good Warranty Packages. The petrol is also a good option if you are a low mileage guy.

Pray to the DSG GODS, the Seven gods and your gods.

I vote for the Camry hands down.
I was at a local toyota showroom last month and had a chance to sit in the new camry and it was awesome. Very plush and very quiet inside once you close the door, its like shutting the door on the outside world. The engine was totally noiseless (petrol) and no vibrations at all.

I would choose it over an A4, BMW 3 or the C class. Especially if I have a driver to drive me around.

I have a Volvo V90 and I thought that the back seat of the Camry was more plush, the front was another matter as the Volvo seats are unbelievable.
Second Choice is the Superb and Third is Passat, the Accord is hardly a contender.

As someone who looks at the approaching age of electric cars with trepidation, and a VW fan who has put his money where his mouth is TWICE, my vote goes to the Passat. The Superb is definitely the hotter looking of the two cars, but given that we are talking about the D2 segment, I think a little bit of 'old-fashioned' is just what the doctor ordered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V.Narayan (Post 4569911)
The way the wind is blowing anything not hybrid or all-electric will in a few years be a rapidly diminishing asset. Think of what the resale price of a petrol car will be in 2029 ie ten years on.

I guess once fully electric cars are available, almost a certainty in 10 years, hybrid vehicles would lose more than the petrol ones. This is all a conjecture at this point, but when electric cars are ready, gas prices will plummet, and economic incentive of hybrids would be minimal. I couldn't find data around it, but even in the US, hybrids are depreciating faster than pure gas ones historically.

If I have to buy today, it would be Skoda.:D

Voted for the Passat.

To be honest, I would rather wait for the next Octavia vRS than get one of these but if I really have to look into this segment, it will be the Passat for me.

IMO, the styling is much more handsome and elegant than its sister car, the Superb and even the VW service is (slightly)better compared to Skoda. Otherwise, the Camry is still too boring, the Accord overpriced and the Superb lacking a little in the wow factor(compared to Passat ofcourse).

DSG reliability does still remain a grey area but its worth the gamble especially as the recent DSGs have proved to be far more reliable than the earlier ones. Then there is also the fact that it can be easily remapped to extract more power:D. Try that on a hybrid CVT!

Cheers!

What a massive story here in itself. A reasonably 3 way battle between Passat, Superb and Camry with (at the point of writing) the Honda at a mere 5 votes out of 170 votes.

What a fall from grace Honda has seen in the premium segment from its once dominant days. Back in the day I am sure the Accord outsold the Camry by several multiples.

Voted for the Superb, because I own one! :D

On a serious note, yet to come across any car that provides so much - it's the true "more car per car" in the D2 segment.

and the petrol manual (which I have) - ah! its such a blast on the highways:thumbs up