Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

View Poll Results: Which D2 segment sedan would you choose?
Toyota Camry Hybrid 120 31.91%
Volkswagen Passat 78 20.74%
Honda Accord Hybrid 12 3.19%
Skoda Superb 165 43.88%
Other (please specify in your post) 1 0.27%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2019, 19:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota Camry vs Honda Accord vs Skoda Superb vs VW Passat

Voted for Camry, reason being it is the only vehicle with futuristic approach.

The way diesel engines are getting treated by NGT I feel the Hybrid is the way to go. Waiting when this technology will be launched in SUVs like Fortuner and Endeavour. Love to witness a petrol SUV fetching double digits fuel economy in Hybrid mode.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 20:34   #32
BHPian

Self driven - Superb
Chauffer - Camry
I don't think I'll ever hire a chauffer, hence choice became simple for me.
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 21:11   #33
BHPian

Like others have mentioned, I believe a hybrid is the way to go, keeping the environment in mind. That leaves me with two options, and I'll never choose the Camry, only because it looks really weird, IMHO. I've seen the latest gen one on our streets, and from the front I can never figure out if it's a Corolla or a Camry or a Yaris. They all look so weird, and the same.

Voted for the Honda Accord. Although overpriced, it looks beautiful, like all previous generation Accords. Japanese reliability to go with it too.
Old 5th April 2019, 22:46   #34
BHPian

Voted for the Camry Hybrid because of the Toyota reliability and the Hybrid Technology offered. Superb and Passat are definitely more fun to drive but are a miss for me because of the unreliable DSG Gearbox and the A.S.S.
adi.mariner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 13:54   #35
BHPian

It is indubitable that hybrids are the way to get a slice of the green credentials, at least until the infrastructure for all-electric mobility, or the development cost of fuel-cell technology lowers substantially. In this comparison, there's an evident classification - the Japanese vs. the Germans and hybrid vs. conventional powertrains.

Normally, every car in a comparison holds some USP against the competition, which is not something that may be said about the Honda Accord. On the plus side, the car is big, fast, safe, comfortable, and the has a smooth and seamless hybrid drive. But that's simply not enough when one plonks ₹ 55 lakhs (on-road Mumbai) on the car, and gets iffy plastics on the inside, no feel-good features for the rear passengers (HVAC and infotainment controls, reclining seats, sun blinds, etc.), and an unsettled ride (a common Accord trait). The total lack of a spare wheel or any alternative solution is another big bummer. It's also a rare Honda that fails at spatial packaging - the interior space and the trunk volume are relatively poor, especially considering how big the car is. Also, I don't like the face of all the new Hondas, with the overloaded chrome grille piercing into the LED headlamps.

The VW Passat in an incredibly classy offering, inside out. The styling is very elegant (albeit a little boring), and that sweet interior has lots of feel-good touches (that lovely, lovely Engine On / Off switch). The punchy diesel motor and well-judged suspension with adjustable dampers make it a potential fun-to-drive package, too. That said, VW did a major goof-up, not bringing the TSi version, which would've made it all the more competitive. I haven't driven this version of the Passat, but the gen-1 car rode really stiff and had a lifeless steering. There are reliability concerns over the 6-speed DQ250 DSG, too, but they're far less than the notorious 7-speed DQ200. I hope that's not the case with the latest car. The multitude of blank switches on the centre console is also very annoying, and definitely not expected when it costs about ₹ 41 lakhs (Highline Connect, on-road Mumbai).

If one looks to go in for a hybrid experience, the Toyota Camry is the way to go. The cons of the Camry are the weird styling - both interior and exterior, a missing tachometer (not that one would miss a tacho in a car with green credentials), Toyota's vehement refusal to offer Android Auto / Apple CarPlay in the infotainment system, and some low-rent plastic bits. Also, the rear seat is set lower than before, and I found the earlier version's sofa-like seat much more comfortable. And why do all Toyotas have that prominent orange-peel effect on the paint? But all these are far outweighed by its virtues, including strong and smooth performance from the hybrid drive, lots of gizmos, balanced ride and handling setup, a big boot with a full-sized alloy spare (take that, Honda!), and outstanding fuel efficiency. Also, at about ₹ 45 lakhs (on-road Mumbai), it's a cool million bucks cheaper than its direct competitor, the Accord!

That brings us to the car I voted for, the Škoda Superb . Škoda has knocked it out of the park with the proportions and sharp design of the gen-3 Superb. I can't get over how incredibly classy it looks from every angle, and I have a feeling it'll age the least in this company! Then comes the lovely, well thought-out interior, matched with limo-like space. I expected infotainment controls for the rear passengers too (at least in the L&K version), but the comfy seats and all that space more than make up for it. It doesn't compromise on practicality, either, with the cavernous boot and full-size spare wheel. Then the powertrains - punchy 2.0L turbo diesel and a road rocket 1.8L turbo petrol married to the competent chassis and balanced suspension means there's a lot of fun to be had behind the wheel. Although, I was disappointed to see that the V6 4x4 didn't make a comeback, as it would've given the Superb much more exclusivity and desirability. It has all the features that the Passat comes with (except the auto-parking system and one airbag), but one-ups it with the ventilated and heated seats. Yes, one has to live with the knowledge that there's a gremlin in the form of the unreliable gearbox in one's car (petrol more so than the diesel), that can raise its ugly head anytime. But it can be mitigated to some extent by the long 6-year warranty plan by Škoda. Also, the diesel commands a lot more premium than the diesel (close to ₹ 3 lakhs). But given the price - ₹ 37 lakh for L&K TSi and ₹ 40 lakh for L&K TDi (on-road Mumbai) - this car is the most VFM option, and above all, a brilliantly conceived product!

Last edited by RoverX : 6th April 2019 at 14:03.
RoverX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 13:15   #36
BHPian

If i am forced to buy one of these, i will go for Superb L&K diesel for the comfort, luxury, features and practicality it offers at 40 L OTR price; so voted for it here.

But, practically i will not buy any of those. My choices will be:

1. Octavia vRS at 30 L OTR, if i want a feature rich sedan and it will give me immense driving fun also which none of the given options can offer. And it will save me around Rs 5-14 Lakhs in the process.

2. Ford Endeavour 3.2, as it can fulfill my usage requirements without making me desperately crave for that luxury sedan, as the Endeavour itself comes with plenty of desirable and useful features.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 03:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Toyota Camry - Too expensive & Hybrid Tech deserved a Petrol Turbo this time instead of carrying forward the older engine.
Too Expensive? Yes.

Trying to get Toyota to sway towards a Turbo petrol motor versus a tried and proven 2.5l mill? Now that is going to be real hard.

If I were to look at it, a Turbo petrol would mean down sizing the motor, which is good for economy. There is questionable turbo lag which in this case the Electric Hybrid system can mask. Unlike a diesel, which has strong bottom end grunt by default, turbo lag is very difficult to mask in a gasoline engine. You don't want lag of any sort.

I would also think that Toyota expect their cars to run for no less than 20 years minimum. Constant Stop Start nature and a Turbo? I am not sure sure if that turbo will hold up for so long. In their view, why risk it with a Turbo motor when a larger NA is able to achieve the desired result when it comes to economy.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 05:47   #38
BHPian

Noticed there weren't any posts for the Passat relative to the number of votes. Kinda reflects the car's quieter target demographic. I walked the talk, bought a Passat HL last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
it costs about ₹ 41 lakhs (Highline Connect, on-road Mumbai)
This post sums up everything well.
However the HL is available now for about 27ex showroom, maybe even lower depending on your bargaining skills, so now it makes a stronger case for itself.
For me the clinching factors were the Dynamic chassis control option which isn't there in the Superb and that the Superb is now ubiquitous.
I also have and plan to retain the Laura 1.8TSI. Lovely engine but in city traffic it won't get you better than 5 to 7kmph, and in a bigger cars it will get worse. To really enjoy that engine and for some spirited driving, buy a Passat and a used Laura 1.8TSI manual with the discount money.
This is my first semilux/comfort car ownership experience. I am really enjoying the quite, calm and self-assured way in which the Passat goes about it's job.

Happy and safe motoring.
srgntpepper is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 10:59   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Well put! Some pictures maybe?
Old 8th April 2019, 11:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
However the HL is available now for about 27ex showroom, maybe even lower depending on your bargaining skills, so now it makes a stronger case for itself.
Wow! That's quite an incredible bargain you got there, sir! If the choice of fuel is not an issue, the Passat is the one to go for, in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
Lovely engine but in city traffic it won't get you better than 5 to 7kmph,
I believe you meant 'kmpl', and I stipulate to that. The 1.8 TSi is quite the guzzler, unless one drives with a feather-light foot.

Last edited by RoverX : 8th April 2019 at 11:37.
RoverX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 11:54   #41
BHPian

I thought it would be no brainer and given the price point, size, features, driving pleasure, looks and appeal, ride and handling, Skoda Superb will be a clear winner.

Honda and Camry both are exorbitantly priced and in my personal opinion were a segment lower when launched in India. Same perception is carried over till date and I cannot fathom or justify their insane pricing.

Also IMHO Hybrid is not the technology of the future and sighted by few, future is pure electric.

However I am pleasantly surprised to read the contradicting views and people actually love Hybrid, despite of higher pricing and comparatively pathetic resale value.
Nonetheless no individuals think alike and that reflects on the sales charts as well.
Having said that my favourite is undoubtedly Skoda Superb !
Old 8th April 2019, 15:27   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Camry.

If I am buying a large sedan, it is because I don't want to drive it everyday.
The camry with it's reliability, sofa like backseat, decent fuel economy would get my vote. That it has better resale than it's competition is an added plus.

The Accord could have been a good option too were it not over priced.

For self driving: The Passat would get my vote - though everything being said, I'd much rather wait for a deal on a 330i.

The Superb, though great VFM and a competent highway cruiser - just doesn't feel as special inside as I would like it to be - especially if you're graduating from an Octavia. That being said - the diesel automatic would be my second choice overall, and first choice if I had a lot of expressway driving to do.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 16:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I had commented on the Camry's Official Review how the package has much improved and - in Sport Mode - you can actually have a little fun with it.

And now, it's leading the poll on an enthusiasts website . Despite being so much more expensive than the Europeans.The Camry has come a long way indeed.
Just back from Dubai and it is the land of Toyotas if I can call it that.
All taxi's are Camry's and one of them had 699,547 kms clogged. No squeaks, no squaks, smooth ride, although a lot of that is attributable to the roads there, but then 700k kms is quite a feat for a modern luxury car, to be honest.

I am sure it will do at least 200k more, the way it was maintained.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 16:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Just back from Dubai and it is the land of Toyotas if I can call it that.
All taxi's are Camry's and one of them had 699,547 kms clogged. No squeaks, no squaks, smooth ride, although a lot of that is attributable to the roads there, but then 700k kms is quite a feat for a modern luxury car, to be honest.

I am sure it will do at least 200k more, the way it was maintained.
Passat is very common as a taxi in Sweden. As per the taxi drivers experience, they run atleast 6 lakh km before selling it off. It is not just the road conditions, but also less traffic on the road that contributes to it.
sups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 19:41   #45
BHPian

Voted for the VW Passat - based on past experience with the Jetta, boring exteriors but much better interiors (love all black dash/leather, wooden strip and the AC vents), service is better than Skoda (but Skoda now manages the VAG Ops in India), also VFM at the listed prices (heard there are great deals out there almost 6L off - not sure if upgrade is coming)?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Camry vs Honda Accord vs Skoda Superb vs VW Passat-d-segment-sedans-price-compare.jpg  

Most Viewed