Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

View Poll Results: Which D2 segment sedan would you choose?
Toyota Camry Hybrid 114 32.20%
Volkswagen Passat 73 20.62%
Honda Accord Hybrid 10 2.82%
Skoda Superb 156 44.07%
Other (please specify in your post) 1 0.28%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th April 2019, 11:12   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Camry vs Honda Accord vs Skoda Superb vs VW Passat

Voted for the Camry. Though the price shocked me, being used to the US prices, it's better than the competition here. Total piece of mind, spacious , feature packed and relatively FTD compared to older Camry.

If not for the unreliability of the VW, Passat would have been my choice.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 11:45   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
That it has better resale than it's competition is an added plus.
I wonder if the Camry Hybrid (which is the only option available in our country) would have as good a resale value, considering the battery degradation which would occur over a 5-7 year duration.

Do share your view.
GoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 12:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Voted for the VW Passat - based on past experience with the Jetta, boring exteriors but much better interiors (love all black dash/leather, wooden strip and the AC vents), service is better than Skoda (but Skoda now manages the VAG Ops in India), also VFM at the listed prices (heard there are great deals out there almost 6L off - not sure if upgrade is coming)?
Could you confirm the source of this image? From what I'm seeing he prices are:
Toyota Camry vs Honda Accord vs Skoda Superb vs VW Passat-1.png

Going by these prices and having driven all three of them extensively, the Toyota Camry Hybrid would be my pick irrespective whether chauffeur-driven or self. Apart from the sheer comfort and refinement, what's also impressive is its fuel efficiency that's 17.13kpl in the city and 19.52kpl on the highway, as tested.
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 12:50   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
I wonder if the Camry Hybrid (which is the only option available in our country) would have as good a resale value, considering the battery degradation which would occur over a 5-7 year duration.

Do share your view.
In my opinion it would have better resale than Skoda and VW for it's Brand value: Toyota stands for reliability, which is what buyers seek. Skoda & VW stand for niggles and high maintenance costs. Forget the Superb and Camry - my Laura TDi DSG had a lower resale value than a similar petrol corolla. Heck, our Etios Diesel was sold for Rs. 1.3L less than what we got for our similar aged Laura L&K TDi, despite it being a market 'flop'!
Yes, the Hybrid will need battery maintenance and probably even replacement - but that is it - a one time battery replacement probably when the vehicle is 7-10 years old; unlike a German that will have constant niggles (AC, various sensors, DSG woes, etc.)

Just a search on carwale and other portals will show the Camry Hybrid commanding nearly 2x the resale value of a similarly aged Superb and Passat, whereas the Camry Petrol commands 1.5x the premium. That being said, unlike the Skoda and VW - spotting a camry on the classifieds is no easy task either as it sold in lesser quantities and most buyers seem to love it unlike the dozens of Superbs for sale.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 15:36   #50
BHPian

I quite like the new Camry.

Lexus like for Toyota money! Whats not to like
The exterior is not to my taste, but then I wont see it when I am in the car.

The big draw for me are the interiors and as per the reviews, the more than acceptable performance.

Will be interesting to see if Honda brings the new Accord to India, that would be a good battle.
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote