Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2019, 01:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akunchala View Post
IMHO, you should definitely check Octavia MK-III or the Jetta. I sold my 3 and half-year-old Octavia very late last year for 15 lakhs and it was immaculately maintained. Get in touch with pre-owned sales folks from German carmakers they have a fleet of cars always available and you can land yourself a gem if you are patient with the search.
Thanks Arun. As many suggested, I will focus more on Jetta/Octavia.
Old 7th May 2019, 11:05   #32
BHPian

It is actually quite possible to find a good car in your 15 Lakhs budget if you really look around and give it time. But, regardless of what car you buy at any condition, Rs.25,000-30,000/- per annum will not be enough to maintain it properly, unless you are really lucky and periodic services gets limited to just that - only pure scheduled service tasks. I would set aside at least Rs.75,000/- as an emergency budget for the car. Not that you will need Rs.75,000/- every year for the car, but you know, just in case something goes wrong.

My 23 years old Mercedes W124 (even though I acquired it for less than a 3rd of your budget 6 years back), costs me only less than Rs.20,000/- for annual upkeep if sticking only to scheduled service tasks. Last month one of the Power Windows stopped working which costed me Rs.12,000/- at my FNG. I am yet to get the periodic service done next month. So, for unexpected niggles like this, please set aside a lot more than Rs.30,000/- per annum.

A friend's 2008 Mercedes W211 (E-class) which he bought used and used for about 4 years, costed him around 50k annually to maintain) - not sure of the details, not in constant touch with him, but this is what he told me when we last chatted online and spoke about the car.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 7th May 2019 at 11:06.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 11:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
Now that you've finally settled on Jetta/Octavia, might i add that you look at Toyota Fortuners as well? 5year old automatic 4x2 Fortuners are available for as low as 13L going upto 17L. While nowhere as fun to drive as Jetta/Octavia, the overall class/category of this vehicle is above Jetta/Octavia. Also, the luxury factor is much higher. Fortuner would save you the 50-60k maintenance costs which you'd otherwise spend on the Jetta/Octavia, and it will also be so reliable that you'd be able to just crank it and go anywhere without thinking twice about it.
If you go for a 4x4 Fortuner, then you'll be in an even better position as it'd unlock many destinations/venues for you to explore which are not possible in a 2wd vehicle.

These days with so much hassles around us related so many different things, getting a proven Japanese(reliable) vehicle makes so much sense than a European one.
DeepakS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 11:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Some recommendations from my side. All of these will be a significant step up from your Optra:

- BMW 320d or BMW X1. Look for a low mileage E90 as that car had superb reliability. IIRC, Mod Akshay1234 recently sold his E90 320d for 12 - 13 lakhs in Mumbai & the new owner is happy. Last I had checked, BHPian FlyingSpur still had his 10-year old 320d.

- Jetta or Octavia 2.0 TDI.

Sadly, you're based in Bangalore where used cars are the most expensive (because new cars are too).

If I was in your shoes, I'd get a Jetta 2.0 TDI, remap it, get good tyres and have a blast. The Jetta is "affordable luxury". I LOVE driving my brother's remapped Jetta running on Michelin Pilot Sports.
Very much agree to the point made here. The E90 facelift had gone through it's course in India and I think it's a good mix of reliability, power and brand value. The rear seat not as good as the competition but it's still not bad. Car would look a whole lot better if you are able to swap it with some M performance alloys.

Not sure if it's mentioned here but I even thought the 520d or 530d (E60 series) was good. My friend had it here for a while and mentioned it's just as good.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 11:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
with your budget, you are spoiled with choices in used car segment. Hence, you need to be really focused on what kind of car you intend to low maintenance, high maintenance, looks performance and what not. I would anyday swear by Jetta with its performance potential and mod potential. But if you are looking for something fast and furious, get an octavia 1.8 TSI for 10-12 lacs, many good less mileage examples available. Take it to TVS and get your DSG tuned to improve reliability. Dont focus on negative reviews about DSGs, its still a wonderful poor men's ZF. Get some basic mods like air intake, Filter, exhaust and ofcourse stage-2 remap upto over 225 bhp. Then you have a blast every single time you turn the ignition, that too within your budget. Maintenance is max at 16000 a year plus petrol, you have saved a lot of mulla use it on good fuel. Good luck!
Mission_PGPX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 12:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
Now that you've finally settled on Jetta/Octavia, might i add that you look at Toyota Fortuners as well? 5year old automatic 4x2 Fortuners are available for as low as 13L going upto 17L.
Thanks for the input, DeepakS, I've not settled yet . Just evaluating various options.
Old 7th May 2019, 12:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks satrikon_454, I've seen many in MH and was intending to get one from there. Do we really need to re-register in KA? I have been told that the policemen wont normally stop the luxury cars unless some serious violations? May be I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Legally, since you're buying the car, the car has to be transferred to your name. Unless you own some property in Mumbai, you won't be able to retain the MH registration in your name.

Let's assume you do own some property in Mumbai, and you get the car registered in your name in MH. You'll be using the said car in KA, where the police have every right to stop a car for routine checks. Usually, the police target cars from other states more. If you continue to use the MH registered car in KA beyond a certain period (6 months or 1 year, I'm not sure) from the date of first entry into KA (verified by toll receipts), you're legally required to pay the road tax in KA, and get the refund of the road tax paid in MH.

In short, if you're getting the ownership transferred (you should), please make sure you're registering the car in the state it's going to run in. This is to avoid any and all hassles (legal or otherwise) that you may face in future.

Hi wmanu. Boniver has explained it perfectly. Adding to his points, I met an RTO official at the Koramangala RTO (KA 01) last month to clarify the details. He showed me the chart that they use while calculating the tax - which is absolutely outrageous - and also said that the NOC here is valid just for 30 days! If found driving beyond with an expired NOC, they have the right to not just make you pay the fine, but also seize your vehicle i.e., if caught twice.

As for the toll receipt, it is not a bail ticket by any means, but it can help if you have an encounter with a sane, logical inspector or traffic cop
satrikon_454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 12:27   #38
BHPian

wmanu, . From what I understand your criteria is a second hand luxury car bought for around 15 lakhs then service cost for a few years approximately 25 to 30K and you would like to keep it for 5 years.

These cars bought cheap, but to live with too expensive and peace of mind is a question mark in my opinion.

What I would say is an out of box suggestion. Why not purchase a Toyota Innova Crysta NEW, Yes, initial cost to take into consideration but service and maintenance is less over period of time ( compared to a luxury car) .You can retain the car as long as you want.

The 2.4 L Diesel I feel would be quite good, fully loaded version with bells and whistles. As all here know that Toyota cars are known to last especially the Innova a proved product and the length of time it had been in the market and kilometers driven.

I have also seen some Innova Crystas with after market rear lights that look quite appealing.

It would have ground clearance, space to carry luggage, comfortable and peace of mind for more than 5 years. I feel the touching of speed breakers would not be a worry either.
ToothyPetrohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 13:04   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
Thank you for the quick response. I'm not thinking that much of the ground clearance - a tyre upgrade would slightly increase it no?
Also which year is the new X1?
A tyre upgrade would slightly increase it, but make sure you check with international spec models on what would work to ensure there is no fouling with the body.

If the roads are fairly decent, then a sedan is really the way to go - better ride, handling, and stability.

The new X1 was launched in 2016 - pretty much the present model.
The one before that, though a very reliable car and arguably a better driver's car, but it has dated interiors, features, a harsher ride, and is more of a large hatchback IMO.
Old 7th May 2019, 15:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of upgrading to German Trio, which was always a dream.
Many thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Well I was in a similar situation a few months back. But it will satisfy your dream, albeit temporarily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
I would rephrase the question: Essentially, I should be ready to spend minimum 20L for enjoying five years of a luxury car? Is it possible to buy a five-year-old BMW 320D for 20L, use it for five years by paying 1L per year as maintenance, and sell it for 5L?

All numbers can change by 15-20% and are hypothetical, but I just wanted to get a financial sense of luxury car ownership. Can this, 20L + 5 years of bliss, can really be pulled off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
I'm exactly in the same boat as wmanu. I have been dilly-dallying with the same thought, and incidentally, the same budget as well. Having being smitten by the desire to own a luxury badge, it is hard to replicate the same with the Jettas and the Octavias, even though these cars make more sense. Classic heart-over-head situation. I have a trusted stead in the form of a Civic, which has been serving me very well for a long time. But heart wants what the heart wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
Funny, I'm thinking of buying a used luxury car too. My needs are as follows:

- Will use for highway trips and 3 says a week use
- Must have curtain and side air bags
- In case of SUV 4wd/awd would be nice to have, considering I won't do hard core off-roading; but would definitely miss it on those steep ghat roads
- Budget of 15L - 18L (will go for a used car loan)

-I'm looking at a Volvo v40 or an xc60. Would this be expensive to maintain?
Hi guys, I was in the same situation back in 2015 as all of you have expressed. So, let me document my experience on this topic.

I had a budget of roughly Rs 20 lakhs and post a lot of reading here on Team-bhp, zeroed in only on BMW X1 or an Audi Q3. Back then, used Q3s weren't available aplenty in Hyderabad but there were a lot of X1s though. So, I looked at quite a few X1s and test drove a few and finally picked one up directly from an Owner. The car was 2012 make, with Hydraulic steering and Rear wheel drive.

I have just sold my car last month. But, in the 4 years (2 months short) of my ownership, these are the expenses I met with on the car and they were not totally unexpected or out of the world. I may have been lucky.

1. Month 1 - I got a regular Oil service at the authorized BMW service center - Rs 24k. This was a pro-active measure based on my reading on T-bhp.
2. Month 2 - An unfortunate breakdown led to a repair costing me Rs 65k. The issue was with the "Replacing vibration damper" and the belt, etc. This was out of my control. Perhaps, I should have gotten the vehicle tested at the BMW showroom but back then I wasn't aware of the facility. I think they charge Rs 10k and will give out the condition of most replaceable parts in the car at any point in time.
3. Month 17 (service internal was 12-15k kms or 18 months but I always used to go in 2-3 months before-hand) - Regular oil change service at the authorized BMW service center costing around Rs 24k.
4. Month 31 - Replacement of disc brakes based on the car diagnostics - I chose to get this done at a non-BMW service center. And from the top of my head, remember the cost to be around Rs 20k.
5. Month 34 - Battery gave up when we were at a mall and returning back after a late night movie. BMW quoted 27k for a replacement(They use an imported Exide one, I guess). I found a compatible Amaron battery and ordered it directly from Amazon for 10k.
6. Month 36 - A pro-active replacement of tyres, I moved away from RFTs and rather got myself Michelin PS4s and also a space saver spare from BMW - Overall cost - Rs 80k [60k for PS4s and 20k for the space saver, if I remember correctly].
7. Month 44 - Regular oil change service at the authorized BMW service center Rs 24k and a breakdown repair on the AC which involved "Replacing evaporator" and other related parts costing me Rs 75k at the authorized BMW service center.
8. I also got an annual 3M pack on the car and paid roughly 30k each year. This included 3M Trizact exterior cleaning and Germikleen Plus twice every year.

Car bought for Rs 21 lakhs
The overall cost of maintenance over the last 4 years thus came to ~ 3.25 lakhs + 1 lakh (3M)
Car sold at Rs 12 lakhs

From my ownership experience, here are some learnings:

Goods:
1. I had a gala time doing those 50k kms esp the ones on Highways (mostly to Vijayawada, AP and Bangalore), ORR (here in Hyderabad).
2. I haven't driven a BMW 3 series, but most say after 3 series, X1 is one of the most balanced (Front to Rear weighted ratios) car and fun to drive and I can vouch by that.
3. The traffic/ road sense in Hyderabad isn't great (no offence to anyone and I am a local) but driving around in a BMW always meant people kept their distance from my car.
4. The ease with which the car used to manoeuvre on highways, on hills (elevations, etc).

Bads:
1. Difficult to explain, but I guess in my mind I always had the reliability question so there were a few trips when I would have preferred taking the X1 but instead hired Zoomcar (like the 12 days trip into North Kerala - Wayanad, etc from Bangalore), the 5 days trip to Pondicherry (from Chennai) and the 7-8 days trip to Coorg (from Bangalore), etc. So, the point I'm trying to make is that there usually 'will' always be a point of concern.
2. The city drives were okay but with the Hydraulic steering, low speeds drives and manoeuvrability were a bit eventful.
3. Parking in tight spaces, cellars, malls again due to the Hydraulic steering, I would say.
4. Ride on pothole-ridden roads was stiff.
5. Sometimes, I felt there was way too much feedback given to the steering.

My suggestions if you guys go ahead with the plan would be the following:
1. 3-5-year-old vehicles are the best kept/ maintained ones.
2. Buying directly from an owner is beneficial.
3. Do find out from the authorized service center in terms of if there is some kind of an Evaluation of car service. Typically, it can cost up to Rs 10k. Not many sellers will be okay with this as it could lead to an unwanted find on the car.
kalyan_hyd is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 15:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone, for all the advises so far.

How about SsangYong Rexton? Will that be a bad choice considering it’s no longer in production?
If you are considering an SUV, you can look at the Santa Fe. You must be able to get an example around 15 lakhs.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 15:37   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Hi guys, I was in the same situation back in 2015 as all of you have expressed. So, let me document my experience on this topic.
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. This is indeed assuring. Two followup questions:

1. What was the mileage when you bought the car?
2. I see that you spent some 13L for 4 years of the car. Can you please also share the insurance amount that you pain, for a fuller picture?

You might be exceptionally lucky but your post showed that it is indeed possible.
shobhit.shri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 16:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. This is indeed assuring. Two followup questions:

1. What was the mileage when you bought the car?
2. I see that you spent some 13L for 4 years of the car. Can you please also share the insurance amount that you pain, for a fuller picture?

You might be exceptionally lucky but your post showed that it is indeed possible.
1. Around 45k kms on the odometer when I bought it and 93.5k kms when I sold it. My usage was roughly 30 kms per weekday and several highway (out of town) trips ~ 12,500 kms per year

2. Good, I missed this in the costing above. I have had a 50% NCB since my previous car (Honda City) so I was able to transfer that to the X1 right since 2015, and fortunately, I have had no claims in the past 4 years either so I have always got a 50% discount on the OD part of the insurance.

Year IDV Cost
2015-16 - 19 L 38,387 [0 Dep]
2016-17 - 16.5 L 20,539/. [Had the option to pick 0 dep but did not prefer]
2017-18 - 13.5 L 19,018/.
2018-19 - 12 L 18,378/.
Old 7th May 2019, 17:37   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I was in your shoes, I'd get a Jetta 2.0 TDI, remap it, get good tyres and have a blast. The Jetta is "affordable luxury". .
Hi,

Would you say a 2010 or 2012 Jetta is a good buy at around Rs.7L with close to 90K on the Odo? I'm concerned that it make take up too much of my money on repairs.

Travelwriter
Old 7th May 2019, 17:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Hi guys, I was in the same situation... unwanted find on the car.
Hi Buddy

I am in Hyderabad and I am looking for a used car, too. Would you be able to recommend a good dealer to buy it from? I have tried the showrooms but they currently do not have a good inventory. I also visited a car yard at Madhapur. They have some nice vehicles but they are over 8 years old. I am looking for a VW or Skoda, petrol automatic.

I am a little apprehensive about buying from owners without knowing them. What's your advice?

Travelwriter

Most Viewed