Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2019, 17:48   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Hi,

Would you say a 2010 or 2012 Jetta is a good buy at around Rs.7L with close to 90K on the Odo? I'm concerned that it make take up too much of my money on repairs.

Travelwriter
In my opinion, the price is on the higher side.

As an option, look for a Skoda Laura too which is essentially the same vehicle under the skin with minor tweaks to suspension.

I personally prefer the Jetta despite having owned the Laura, as the conventional boot (fewer rattles) and softer ride make it a little easier to live with but it's not worth a big difference in pricing.
Just for comparative sake - our fully loaded 2012 Laura L&K done 75Kkm at time of sale went for around 5.5 - 6L last year in Mumbai.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 18:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
In my opinion, the price is on the higher side....r in Mumbai.
Thanks, mate. That really helped.
Old 7th May 2019, 18:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
I am in Hyderabad and I am looking for a used car, too. Would you be able to recommend a good dealer to buy it from?

I am a little apprehensive about buying from owners without knowing them. What's your advice?

Travelwriter
Sorry for gate crashing. It is always better to buy directly from the owner, preferably a corporate employee, it will surely be worth the wait.

Among the dealers, if you are aware of the areas around old hyderabad and secunderabad the following dealers are worth a visit -

1)Bagga's Deals and wheels, Marredpally
2)Sub5 Cars, Nallakunta.
3) Chitra cars, Marredpally.
4) Vasant Motors.

General tip is to spare 10-20% of the purchase price for repairs, even if it were to be a certified car. Get the car thoroughly inspected, esp. the luxury segment cars.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 21:07   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
This adage has been quoted to death, but worth repeating.

A luxury car may cost a budget car price to buy, but will cost you a luxury car price to maintain.

Budget cost-of-purchase, luxury cost-of-ownership. Follow your heart, but try not to orphan your pocket.
I was about to write the same. a 1998S Class Merc cost a friend 12Lacs and when it broke down it cost 23 khs for the the air suspension. No wonder he was not a TeamBHP member

Regards
RoS
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 09:16   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
a 1998S Class Merc cost a friend 12Lacs and when it broke down it cost 23 khs for the the air suspension.
I doubt that even an S class air suspension will cost 23 lakhs for replacement. It is on a really high side.
Dhruv29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 09:29   #51
BHPian

Having read all the posts, I have still been wondering if this is really a case of a Luxury car @ 15 lacs ? Luxury is such a subjective thing, isn't it ? From what I have understood while speaking to many people, it is actually the brand luxury, ambitious buyers truly look up to. They still want that leather seat, posh interior, gizmos, along with Thor's Hammer when it comes to the engine. But give them just that much of luxury, from a mass production car, and they will still not believe that they have got what they truly wanted. But give them one from the Audi's, Bimmers and Benzs, and you would see the grin!! It's so much a case of wish vs need here, and I guess the real question of this thread is to find, if there exists a model from any of these 3 primary brands (the Volvo's, Jaguars are also here now) which is reliable and affordable in terms of maintenance. Suggesting a model from a Toyota and Honda ain't going to suffice, I am afraid. Be it a Camry or an Accord. I drive an Altis myself and find that apt for most occasions, if not all terrains. But it still falls darn short when pitted against the big three even if they are super fragile and prone to emptying one's wallet. That is the psychology, if not truth. I guess we would be better in suggesting in those lines. Makes sense ?
JBIBS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 09:34   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
I would rephrase the question: Essentially, I should be ready to spend minimum 20L for enjoying five years of a luxury car? Is it possible to buy a five-year-old BMW 320D for 20L, use it for five years by paying 1L per year as maintenance, and sell it for 5L?

All numbers can change by 15-20% and are hypothetical, but I just wanted to get a financial sense of luxury car ownership. Can this, 20L + 5 years of bliss, can really be pulled off?
I will sell you my 320D for 20L right away. 5 year old and 54k kms done. Also has an active BSI covering you till the 10th year/1L kms, so the maintenance costs are covered too. The itch to upgrade is strong !

Jokes apart you can find a car easily in that price range. Try to find an example which has or had a BSI pack ( now available till 10 years) since that basically tells you that the car would have been cared for as per BMWs schedule.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 09:46   #53
BHPian

1.Any german car will be worthwhile if you have a good honest experienced mechanic.
2.use it carefully with some TLC.
I got an e90 320d, preowned in 2016 which still runs superbly with service costs of 10 to 30K per year, most of which are the synthetic oil costs which is btw my second preowned BMW

what you lose out are the latest gadgets, gps and so on. I intend to sell this in 2020 and go for the f30 msport or xe preowned(after the g20 comes in).
rxpaul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 11:05   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also has an active BSI covering you till the 10th year/1L kms, so the maintenance costs are covered too.
OT, when you upgraded the BSI from 5 years to 10 years, did they give you the latest rates (which are almost 50% of old rate) or did you have to pay per the old rate?
Old 8th May 2019, 11:07   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
OT, when you upgraded the BSI from 5 years to 10 years, did they give you the latest rates (which are almost 50% of old rate) or did you have to pay per the old rate?
I renewed it only 4 months before this price decrease announcement. So sadly paid the hiked price.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 11:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIBS View Post
Having read all the posts, I have still been wondering if this is really a case of a Luxury car @ 15 lacs ? Luxury is such a subjective thing, isn't it ? From what I have understood while speaking to many people, it is actually the brand luxury, ambitious buyers truly look up to. They still want that leather seat, posh interior, gizmos, along with Thor's Hammer when it comes to the engine. But give them just that much of luxury, from a mass production car, and they will still not believe that they have got what they truly wanted.
Well said, sir. For most of us, including me, I was very happy with my 2010 Honda City, top trim (having upgraded previously from a Hyundai Santro Xing from 2005). And in the natural course of things, I would have probably upgraded to either an Octavia, Jetta, or an Altis/ Civic with the budget of Rs 20 odd lakhs in 2015. I have the itch to change cars every 5 years. So, need-wise that would have been the set course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIBS View Post
But give them one from the Audi's, Bimmers and Benzs, and you would see the grin!! It's so much a case of wish vs need here, and I guess the real question of this thread is to find, if there exists a model from any of these 3 primary brands (the Volvo's, Jaguars are also here now) which is reliable and affordable in terms of maintenance. Suggesting a model from a Toyota and Honda ain't going to suffice, I am afraid. Be it a Camry or an Accord. I drive an Altis myself and find that apt for most occasions, if not all terrains. But it still falls darn short when pitted against the big three even if they are super fragile and prone to emptying one's wallet. That is the psychology, if not truth. I guess we would be better in suggesting in those lines. Makes sense?
However, I would deem it to be a case of mismatched supply-demand. Consider this, there were two issues when I was making a decision of upgrading from Honda City and the new car I got would need to resolve these issues. The ground clearance offered by the cars(sedans) that I had in mind (mentioned above) and my budget which could, at best, be stretched to ₹ 25 lakhs. So, the options I had were Hyundai Creta, Toyota Innova, Hyundai Tucson, can't recall more options. But, I did not consider these options to be more luxurious (no offence to anyone, they are all good cars) as compared to the Octavia's, Jetta's or Altis. The leagues of CRV, X1, Q3, etc were in the range of ₹ 30 lakhs+ and out of my reach.

My purchase of a pre-owned BMW was kind of an experiment. I definitely did not want to spend 40 big ones on any car, neither then, nor now. But, I wanted to get the feel of having driven one. Having owned one, albeit for a short while. And this gap of having a car that would solve my two issues was filled by pre-owned premium cars from one of the three German Trios. And I think to this day, it's the same. Now, the regular sedans like City have gone up to 15-17 lakhs range, CRVs and Tucson's are around 30-35 lakhs range and entry-level Premium cars from either of BMW, Audi or Merc + Volvo are in the 40 lakhs + range. So, if someone had a budget of 20-25 lakhs, and was looking for cross-over equivalents of Octavia/ Civic/ Jetta, etc does not seem to have many options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
I doubt that even an S class air suspension will cost 23 lakhs for replacement. It is on a really high side.
I think he may have meant 2-3 lakhs and not 23 lakhs.
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 10:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

I see another aspect of pre-owned cars in relation to their IDV. In majority of the cases, IDV is higher than the purchase price for 2nd or 3rd owner making it costlier for comprehensive insurance.

In most of the cases, the 2nd or 3rd owner will have to shell out between INR 25k to 35k just on the annual insurance of the car or may be even more if the NCB is not transferred to the new owner.

Cheers.

Last edited by i74js : 9th May 2019 at 10:59.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 12:28   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I see another aspect of pre-owned cars in relation to their IDV. In majority of the cases, IDV is higher than the purchase price for 2nd or 3rd owner making it costlier for comprehensive insurance.

In most of the cases, the 2nd or 3rd owner will have to shell out between INR 25k to 35k just on the annual insurance of the car or may be even more if the NCB is not transferred to the new owner.

Cheers.
I don't think that IDV is particularly higher than the purchase price unless someone gets a great deal (at least for Premium car segment entrants like X1, Q3, GLA200, etc). Perhaps its true for the next level of cars like X3, Q5, Q7, etc

In my case, I got an X1 for 21 lakhs whereas the IDV was around 19.5 lakhs back in 2015. And after 4 years of use, I sold it at 11 lakhs and the last IDV (Sep 18) was 12 lakhs so this year it will go down to, say 10.5 lakhs or so.

Regarding spends on insurance, it would be the same if one purchases a new car in the same price range.
kalyan_hyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 12:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
I don't think that IDV is particularly higher than the purchase price unless someone gets a great deal (at least for Premium car segment entrants like X1, Q3, GLA200, etc). Perhaps its true for the next level of cars like X3, Q5, Q7, etc

In my case, I got an X1 for 21 lakhs whereas the IDV was around 19.5 lakhs back in 2015. And after 4 years of use, I sold it at 11 lakhs and the last IDV (Sep 18) was 12 lakhs so this year it will go down to, say 10.5 lakhs or so.

Regarding spends on insurance, it would be the same if one purchases a new car in the same price range.
I beg to disagree - you get much better deals in Delhi & Mumbai and even few towns like Ludhiana where the market is flooded with premium cars.

Also, this was in response to the original question of securing a car in 15 Lac running it for 5 years and passing it on; a question from member who has never owned cars from premium segment, thus the annual budget for ownership after appending the insurance cost was going to be 200% of the original estimate / assumption.

Last edited by i74js : 9th May 2019 at 12:49.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 13:26   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post

Cheers.
Not really - as a customer, if the IDV is higher than the purchase value - you can opt to lower the same.
What is a real killer though are the add-ons and that is where you need to be smart about it - Like Zero Dep, etc.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed