Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2019, 11:24   #16
BHPian

re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Thanks everyone, for all the advises so far.

How about SsangYong Rexton? Will that be a bad choice considering it’s no longer in production?
Old 5th May 2019, 12:15   #17
BHPian

re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
There is nothing known as a "frugal" or a "cheap to maintain" luxury car. It makes for a good oxymoron and nothing else.

If you manage to go for one of the big three, sourcing spares will be fairly easy for scheduled maintenance and you will most probably end up spending between 25-30K as you have estimated.
But here's the caveat, these cars are loaded with electronics that can go wrong at any given time.
I can so relate to the above points. I picked up a pre-owned Passat Comfortline 6 months ago, and I am yet to iron out electrical issues with the car. There are so many different modules handling myriad operations. And local garages simply cannot figure out the complex electronics on these cars.
Also,as rightly pointed out, when the car is 6-8 years old it's time for major overhauls. And if you plan to keep the car for regular use you will end up spending half the cost paid for the car to bring it back to prime. Suspension and brake work for the passat has cost me close to a lakh of rupees. As I mentioned about the electricals, even for brake bleeding you need to hook up a scanner to the car. Luckily I had picked up a VCDS cable immediately after finalizing the deal for the car.
Not trying to scare you here, but if you plan on a luxury segment car, hunt for something that is literally pre-worshipped and maintained throughout at the ASS.
WasavaTyres is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 10:14   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Just remember one thing, there is no such thing as a "cheap luxury car". If it's cheap to buy, it's expensive to keep.

Once my C220 was 5+ years old, it cost anywhere between 60 grand - 1 lakh a year in maintenance. My 5.5 year old 530d is currently in warranty and costs about 40 - 50 grand a year (not including tyres + insurance which are very expensive). Once out of warranty, I expect it to cost an average of 1 - 1.5 lakhs a year.

I picked a BMW based on ownership reports and you should keep it as your top choice too. Simple reason = the brand's reliability is simply top class, and indisputably superior to Audi, Mercedes & Jaguar-Land Rover.

Some recommendations from my side. All of these will be a significant step up from your Optra:

- BMW 320d or BMW X1. Look for a low mileage E90 as that car had superb reliability. IIRC, Mod Akshay1234 recently sold his E90 320d for 12 - 13 lakhs in Mumbai & the new owner is happy. Last I had checked, BHPian FlyingSpur still had his 10-year old 320d.

- Jetta or Octavia 2.0 TDI.

Sadly, you're based in Bangalore where used cars are the most expensive (because new cars are too).

If I was in your shoes, I'd get a Jetta 2.0 TDI, remap it, get good tyres and have a blast. The Jetta is "affordable luxury". I LOVE driving my brother's remapped Jetta running on Michelin Pilot Sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
There was a 2006 Porsche Cayenne VR6 run about 60k with no major mechanical issues. Some interior bits were worn, and it was fabulous to drive. However it was a MH registration. Asking price was 10 lakhs. I stayed away
Glad you stayed away. A car like this is a classic example of the purchase price being the "down payment", with the "hefty EMIs" (monthly repair bills) starting right after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
There is a nice S class in Bangalore in our classifieds.
No way would I recommend any S-Class to anyone with a 15-lakh budget. The S-Class is the epitome of a "money no object" automobile. It's only for those who have so much money that they don't bother with tallying their bank statement every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
How about SsangYong Rexton? Will that be a bad choice considering it’s no longer in production?
Very bad choice because the reliability was sad, parts availability poor & Mahindra service centers clueless on repairing it.

Last edited by GTO : 6th May 2019 at 10:17.
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 11:34   #19
BHPian

I would rephrase the question: Essentially, I should be ready to spend minimum 20L for enjoying five years of a luxury car? Is it possible to buy a five-year-old BMW 320D for 20L, use it for five years by paying 1L per year as maintenance, and sell it for 5L?

All numbers can change by 15-20% and are hypothetical, but I just wanted to get a financial sense of luxury car ownership. Can this, 20L + 5 years of bliss, can really be pulled off?
shobhit.shri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 13:05   #20
BHPian

I'm exactly in the same boat as wmanu. I have been dilly-dallying with the same thought, and incidentally, the same budget as well. Having being smitten by the desire to own a luxury badge, it is hard to replicate the same with the Jettas and the Octavias, even though these cars make more sense. Classic heart-over-head situation. I have a trusted stead in the form of a Civic, which has been serving me very well for a long time. But heart wants what the heart wants.

I posted a similar query on another thread and got invaluable advice to stay away from models more than 5-6 years old. But being on a tight budget, it is hard to find a model newer than 2012 under 15L in Bangalore. Interestingly, you can find a corresponding model, in say, Delhi, for atleast 3-4L cheaper (I'm talking about the entry level Bimmers here). But to bring it to Bangalore and re-register will cost you an additional 4-5L. Lol! Anyway, all the best with your endeavor (pun intended) and hope you find a car that quenches your thirst. I'll keep a close-eye on this thread as well

Cheers!
satrikon_454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 13:08   #21
BHPian

Budgeting 30 K for yearly maintenance for the Big 3 luxury brands? Heck, my Ford Figo costed 50k over the past 12 months.

The Figo is at 85000 KMs, a 2012 June Model purchased by me in October 2014 when it had run 48K KMs.

25K for injector replacement and diagnosis. FASS gave a quote of 38K for 2 injector replacement. The FNG suggested to remove the injectors and get all 4 serviced at the injector workshop where we found only 1 was not working.

Suspension work for 12 K

Belt pulley tensioner, timing belt kit replacement + regular service for 20K.

All the work was performed at FNG.

Granted, this was the first year my expenses crossed 6k, but a point to be noted.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 6th May 2019 at 13:09.
Ragavsr is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 13:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
.......During the search I could see that 2008 Cayenne available for 15L range. Looking at the features/technology Cayenne has 12 years ago, I really admire the machine. Since Porsche is in exotic range, I’m scared that the maintenance will be much higher as it is aged. Another three years, it may need a re-registration? No idea how much will that cost due to exotic sector and imported vehicle.

Many thanks.
Hi,
I have 2008 Cayenne Turbo in Doha, Qatar. My expenses on the car for the last 15 months - 18500 kms are broken down below:
1. 2 battery changes. About 900 QR each . i.e Rs 17000 each. Battery lasts 1 year due to the heat in the middle east
2. set of 4 tyres. QR 3700. i.e Rs 70,000 Should last me for 3 years
3. 1 oil change QR 1200 i.e Rs 22800. Once every 15000 km
4. Petrol. QR 9150. i.e Rs 1,73,000 on petrol alone
5. Third party insurance at QR 800 per year

I bought the cayenne with around Rs. 2L per year budget, excluding petrol.
My car was in excellent condition with a huge list of parts changed under warranty. It was in warranty for 10 years. Lucky for me to not experience any repair in the last year.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th May 2019 at 14:53. Reason: trimmed quoted post
RacerByHeart is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 14:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

While the modest annual maintenance budget is questionable even in ordinary circumstances, what really happens when this "luxury" car meets with a minor accident?

If its more than 5 years old then majority won't offer zero dep insurance, plastic and glass/light parts would need 50% payment from one's own pocket.

Or is zero dep insurance an underlying assumption here?
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 14:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Experts/Enthusiasts,

If we avoid showroom service and rely on trusted mechanics around (Bengaluru), who has good reputation with luxury cars, will the maintenance cost be manageable (~25-30K per annum)?
Hi wmanu,

My 2 cents on this - any of the German cars will cost you about 1-1.5% of the total cost (OTR when new) in maintenance. Ballpark of course - Audi and BMW on the lower side and Mercedes on the upper side of that limit. Things to consider, like everyone else pointed out, are your running costs and repairs. Tires, Battery and god forbid any sort of engine related components are going to be very expensive and insurance, depending on your current rating, will take you close to the 1 lakh mark every year.

If you are really keen on picking up a luxury car, please look for one in your friends' circle. As they say, known devil is so much better than an unknown angel. Also, look for pre-owned cars that are certified by the companies. They usually throw in a year/two of extended warranty and they would have done a thorough check after they got it from the previous owner.

A friend of mine picked up a Volvo S80 V8 (2010) a couple of years ago from Delhi but he went through a thorough engine check at an authorized Volvo showroom before plonking down the money. It cost him ~15 lakhs but over the last few years he has owned it, he has spent close to 3-3.5 lakhs on maintenance alone (excluding daily running charges).

IMHO, you should definitely check Octavia MK-III or the Jetta. I sold my 3 and half-year-old Octavia very late last year for 15 lakhs and it was immaculately maintained. Get in touch with pre-owned sales folks from German carmakers they have a fleet of cars always available and you can land yourself a gem if you are patient with the search.

Good luck with your search!

Arun
akunchala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 15:00   #25
BHPian

Whenever in Heart or Mind dilemma, it is always safer to listen to mind. Your heart might be sullen for a few days/week, but then it would make peace with your mind.

I too was in a similar situation few months back when I was contemplating buying a used, 6 year old Linea TJet. It was love at first sight. She was great to drive and showed no sign of aging. Majority of the people I talked to advised me not to go ahead with the purchase, but I was in love and compulsive.

Fast forward six months, the love has started to diminish. Having spent over Rs 50,000 in her repairs and service, I have started to repent the decision of bringing her home. Lessons learnt: a) It is advisable to buy a new car and sell it once the extended warranty is over b) If buying a used car, prefer buying the models with not very expensive spare parts.

A friend of mine, bought a used Merc C Class at a mouth watering price. He got it inspected by couple of mechanics and they all said that it was good condition. A year later, he is struggling to get rid of the car. It turned out that the engine developed some issues and estimated cost of repair was north of Rs 3 lakh.
MBond007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 17:52   #26
r.K
BHPian

Funny, I'm thinking of buying a used luxury car too. My needs are as follows:

- Will use for highway trips and 3 says a week use
- Must have curtain and side air bags
- In case of SUV 4wd/awd would be nice to have, considering I won't do hard core off-roading; but would definitely miss it on those steep ghat roads
- Budget of 15L - 18L (will go for a used car loan)

-I'm looking at a Volvo v40 or an xc60. Would this be expensive to maintain?
- What is the avg cost of maintenance for a used 2014 volvo vs the German cars? (bmw/audi)
-Would I be able to purchase warranty on the used car?

Last edited by r.K : 6th May 2019 at 17:54. Reason: Formation
r.K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 18:10   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
Funny, I'm thinking of buying a used luxury car too. My needs are as follows:

- Will use for highway trips and 3 says a week use
- Must have curtain and side air bags
- In case of SUV 4wd/awd would be nice to have, considering I won't do hard core off-roading; but would definitely miss it on those steep ghat roads
- Budget of 15L - 18L (will go for a used car loan)

-I'm looking at a Volvo v40 or an xc60. Would this be expensive to maintain?
- What is the avg cost of maintenance for a used 2014 volvo vs the German cars? (bmw/audi)
-Would I be able to purchase warranty on the used car?
Ideally - this is theoretically possible.

Maintenance would be similar for a Volvo v/s Audi / BMW. Mercedes is a little more expensive.
Annually servicing costs (1 service / year) should be in the region of 30-50K as the car would be a little older.
This does not include costs of parts that will need to be replaced and you should account for 3-5L for repairs over the course of 3-5 years (again depending on the vehicle - there are few like GTO who have been lucky, and there are a ton of others who haven't been so lucky).
This would include suspension, and other repairs / replacement for this segment vehicle.

In theory you need to find an inherently reliable vehicle that is used to our conditions - localized CKD, from a later model year so most of the niggles are sorted out.
I'd also recommend going for an Audi / BMW as they are more tried and tested - important if this is your first German as BMW's have proven to be fairly reliable and Audi's share a ton of parts with Skodas/VWs which should make servicing a little easier.

That all being said - I'd also urge you to consider finding a pre-owned Superb 1.8TSi M/T if you find one.
I found the ride/handling balance on the highways to be much better than the entry level A4s, 3 series, etc. It is available in Manual which means no DSG woes, and you will get some stellar deals on the car.

If you really desire AWD - try finding the Skoda Yeti, but if your off roading is going to be limited, and if sedans can venture through the ghats - you're probably better off without it (more options, easier to maintain).

The reason I recommend these two vehicles are as follows:
1) They share a lot of parts with Audis - down to the engine and gearbox. Easier to service as well, and in terms of reliability - they're a great introduction to buying a German.
2) There is no exciting German available in that budget for your needs. The Q3 is woefully cramped and dated, as is the previous gen A4, X1. You could get the F30 320d in your budget but with the low ground clearance and soft suspension - you may prefer the Superb on the highway. The new X1 would be fantastic but finding one would be difficult. The Volvo S60 could be had at a steal and would make a fantastic buy if GC isn't a worry.

Regarding extended warranty - it's only possible if the original warranty hasn't expired.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 18:37   #28
r.K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Ideally - this is theoretically possible.

2) There is no exciting German available in that budget for your needs. The Q3 is woefully cramped and dated, as is the previous gen A4, X1. You could get the F30 320d in your budget but with the low ground clearance and soft suspension - you may prefer the Superb on the highway. The new X1 would be fantastic but finding one would be difficult. The Volvo S60 could be had at a steal and would make a fantastic buy if GC isn't a worry.

Regarding extended warranty - it's only possible if the original warranty hasn't expired.
Thank you for the quick response. I'm not thinking that much of the ground clearance - a tyre upgrade would slightly increase it no?
Also which year is the new X1?
r.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 00:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some recommendations from my side. All of these will be a significant step up from your Optra:

- BMW 320d or BMW X1. Look for a low mileage E90 as that car had superb reliability. IIRC, Mod Akshay1234 recently sold his E90 320d for 12 - 13 lakhs in Mumbai & the new owner is happy. Last I had checked, BHPian FlyingSpur still had his 10-year old 320d.

- Jetta or Octavia 2.0 TDI.
Thanks for the inputs GTO, I will certainly consider these. Jetta/Octavia has been advised by many, but the remapping is an incredible option.

I'm inclined towards Automatic Transmission. Will the DSG perform well with remap? I read somewhere in this forum that few DSG boxes has lower torque cap.

I can see Jetta/Passat Highline DSG are available in similar range. Should I stay away from Passat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrikon_454 View Post
Interestingly, you can find a corresponding model, in say, Delhi, for atleast 3-4L cheaper (I'm talking about the entry level Bimmers here). But to bring it to Bangalore and re-register will cost you an additional 4-5L.
Thanks satrikon_454, I've seen many in MH and was intending to get one from there. Do we really need to re-register in KA? I have been told that the policemen wont normally stop the luxury cars unless some serious violations? May be I'm wrong.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th May 2019 at 10:37. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
wmanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 01:02   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Do we really need to re-register in KA?
Legally, since you're buying the car, the car has to be transferred to your name. Unless you own some property in Mumbai, you won't be able to retain the MH registration in your name.

Let's assume you do own some property in Mumbai, and you get the car registered in your name in MH. You'll be using the said car in KA, where the police have every right to stop a car for routine checks. Usually, the police target cars from other states more. If you continue to use the MH registered car in KA beyond a certain period (6 months or 1 year, I'm not sure) from the date of first entry into KA (verified by toll receipts), you're legally required to pay the road tax in KA, and get the refund of the road tax paid in MH.

In short, if you're getting the ownership transferred (you should), please make sure you're registering the car in the state it's going to run in. This is to avoid any and all hassles (legal or otherwise) that you may face in future.
boniver is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed