Team-BHP - Having trouble deciding between the BMW X4 and Jaguar F-Pace EDIT: Booked X4 30D
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Having trouble deciding between the BMW X4 and Jaguar F-Pace EDIT: Booked X4 30D (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/209426-having-trouble-deciding-between-bmw-x4-jaguar-f-pace-edit-booked-x4-30d.html)

I am looking to buy a new car and have decided to buy either the Jaguar F-Pace 25t, or the BMW X4 30D.
The decision to choose between a petrol and a diesel is two fold. Firstly, that fuel prices are volatile right now and the difference between the two is not huge. And secondly, because the 25t and the 30D are the most powerful and fun to drive variants on offer from the F pace and X4 respectively.
As far as design goes, I love both cars, but although the F pace looks a bit too conservative compared to the X4, I’m concerned which of the two would age better.
Jaguar is offering me a 6 lakh discount, bringing the car’s price to 73lakhs on road + insurance.
BMW is offering me the X4 for 78.5 lakhs + insurance.
But the Jaguar will be delivered within 10 days, since the cars have been manufactured in 2018, while the BMW will be delivered only by the wnd of July or early August.
So taking in to account,
1) Performance and handling
2) Design
3) On-road price
4) after sales service
5) long term reliability
6) Brand value
7) Delivery date
which one do you think would be the better option?
P.S. any advice on the colour for both cars would also be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valtharos (Post 4591042)
1) Performance and handling
2) Design
3) On-road price
4) after sales service
5) long term reliability
6) Brand value
7) Delivery date
P.S. any advice on the colour for both cars would also be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

I love your dilemma

Performance - The BMW 3.0 D is most tractable and more fulfilling. I cannot comment on the Jag 2.5t. However, having tested the same engine in the Discovery Sport, it is very linear without making one feel that it is brisk. It does love a drink when being pushed though.

Handling - The BMW handles well if a little detached. The Jag really handles well and really talks to you. The heart rules on this one.

Design - Jag is more practical. However, the interior might not reflect its price range and the Media interface is a bit laggy.

On Road Price - Jag looks good value even the high fuel consumption will not offset the saving unless you are doing 30k km per year.

After Sales Service - Depends on two things. The local dealer and the head office. BMW dealers are normally a bit overwhelmed as very few dealers have been appointed and capacity has not been increased. Jaguar - head office is pretty dire but a good service centre can make the difference. If you have a good local person, that can help also. Not really heard of problems with the F-Pace

Reliability - The BMW will be better but it might not be able to handle bad roads. The Jag might be better since it has a lot of Land Rover inputs.

Brand Value - For me, Jag still has a cachet and rarity. BMW is a bit wannabe in my opinion (that would not stop me owning one though!)

Jag - I like the Deep Blue one

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4591088)
I love your dilemma

Really grateful for your help! But looks like I have a lot more to contemplate :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valtharos (Post 4591184)
Really grateful for your help! But looks like I have a lot more to contemplate :confused:

Let me add, I wonder whether you have actually driven a petrol F-Pace. Check if the dealer actually can let you have one for a test ride. If not, get the dealer to locate where JLR's press vehicle is located. If you are spending 70+ big ones on a car, best to spend 20k on a flight to ensure you will not be disappointed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valtharos (Post 4591042)
have decided to buy either the Jaguar F-Pace 25t, or the BMW X4 30D.

I will try to answer your specific Questions
Quote:

Performance and handling
BMW - 6 Cylinder engine is a no-brainer. I have driven the X4- 30i and found it good in handling but F-Pace may have an edge here. If we consider Engine & Handling together, BMW will be better.

Quote:

Design
Personal opinion, as I used to own X6 before, I find X4 a size smaller. F Pace does look larger.

Quote:

On-road price & Delivery date
When you are spending so much money and are going to keep the car for a long period, little extra time or money should not be a decisive factor. Trust me, you can take a better decision if you can keep a range of budget rather then going for the cheapest of two.
Quote:

after sales service, long term reliability & Brand value
I will say, BMW wins.

If you are Young and have a small family, I will suggest going with X4, if you have grown up children, F Pace will be a proper 4 seater and might appear better to rear occupants.

I'd put my money on the BMW from a reliability, easier to live with, has nicer interiors, and it's more powerful engine.

That being said, if you want a little bit of exclusivity the F-Pace will be leagues ahead of BMW due it's low sales numbers and BMW with their massive discounts has sort of diluted their brand value compared to JLR where there are massive discounts on offer but it isn't as widely publicized.

The petrol engine will be fun if you are someone who enjoys redlining otherwise the mid-range punch of the X4 3.0D will satisfy all your power cravings.
BMW also has the advantage of being that much more tuneable in the Indian context, with many tuners having worked on the 30d engine to (relatively) reliably deliver that much more power.

As an overall daily car, I'd pick the BMW as being a better all rounder.
As a 'show car' if I can call it that - the F Pace with it's exclusivity would get my pick though I was very underwhelmed by the interiors.

May I add to your confusion? Check out the Velar Petrol, it would be a bit more expensive than the options you mentioned here, I think it would be approx 80 OTR. However it feels and looks at-least a segment or two above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4591646)
May I add to your confusion? Check out the Velar Petrol, it would be a bit more expensive than the options you mentioned here, I think it would be approx 80 OTR. However it feels and looks at-least a segment or two above.

Looks you are considering Velar for your Garage :)

I hope, you are aware of lower priced RR- Sports, it's 2 Ltr Engine but makes 300 Bhp, due to the lower engine displacement, JLR has priced competitively at 92 Lac. Dealers should start getting these in the coming few weeks.

Expect around 2 lac discounts on Velar, if OP decides to go ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4591845)
Looks you are considering Velar for your Garage :)

I hope, you are aware of lower priced RR- Sports, it's 2 Ltr Engine but makes 300 Bhp, due to the lower engine displacement, JLR has priced competitively at 92 Lac. Dealers should start getting these in the coming few weeks.

Expect around 2 lac discounts on Velar, if OP decides to go ahead.

I’m not considering, I am just wishing lol:

How is the Velar on discount already? CKD was just launched!

I actually prefer the Velar exterior to the RR sport. However the 300bhp sounds like a good trade off, but then again it’s also at a price of 20L extra.

On another note, the BMW discounts are peaking yet again, I’m sure the X4 is being discounted more too. If these discounts are on ex-showroom then the 730LD could be well below a crore.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...rs-suvs-412788

@Turbanator - I’m sure you are in a know how of actual discounts which are probably higher than published ones by ACI

Thank you everyone! I took ajmat’s advice and got to test driving the 30d. Loved it to bits. Just booked the car paying an advance. Hoping to see the X4 in the garage real soon! Will try to make a post on the entire process soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 4591586)
As an overall daily car, I'd pick the BMW as being a better all rounder.
As a 'show car' if I can call it that - the F Pace with it's exclusivity would get my pick though I was very underwhelmed by the interiors.

I was a little put off by the interiors as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4591646)

Thank you so much, but extending the budget was never an option ����

In the end, the worry of the jag’s interiors being dated and the substantially smaller feature list pushed me towards the beemer and the 6 cylinder sealed the deal. ��
Thank you again everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valtharos (Post 4591880)
Thank you everyone!
the 6 cyclinder sealed the deal.

Congratulations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4591867)
How is the Velar on discount already?

From the Dealership Margin, I guess.

Quote:

On another note, the BMW discounts are peaking yet again, I’m sure the X4 is being discounted more too. If these discounts are on ex-showroom then the 730LD could be well below a crore.
Correct, recently, I got a random call from Delhi Dealership offering 740Li @ Rs 1 Cr. Am sure Diesel will be around same or even less. Given the imminent launch of the newer one, I think these are the best rates for the remaining stocks. Unless BMW is holding large kits, I don't think these will get lower but who knows:)

Current CFO at BMW is Acting President so his priorities will definitely be more on Profits. For some reasons, I believe, First-time buyers are able to negotiate better than repeat customers :D

I love the F-pace's handling and it is sprightly in the petrol turbo form.
You wouldn't miss the BMW road manners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 4593421)
I love the F-pace's handling and it is sprightly in the petrol turbo form.
You wouldn't miss the BMW road manners.

True, but when both cars handle extremely well, I figured I’d go for the better powered one, and the fact that the BMW has quite a longer feature list in comparison was a bonus as well.
Besides, if India is moving towards electric vehicles altogether, figured the 6 cylinder diesel will be of better value once the sort are no longer produced, as opposed to the turbo petrol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valtharos (Post 4591880)
Thank you everyone! I took ajmat’s advice and got to test driving the 30d. Loved it to bits. Just booked the car paying an advance. Hoping to see the X4 in the garage real soon! Will try to make a post on the entire process soon!

Congratulations Valtharos! Hope you have got some time to put your review together. Mind sharing your thoughts with members? It will really help. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks (Post 4681454)
Congratulations Valtharos! Hope you have got some time to put your review together. Mind sharing your thoughts with members? It will really help. Thanks!

I’m really sorry guys! I have been meaning to post about the entire process but have been putting it off. I will definitely do so asap :)