Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2019, 20:41   #16
BHPian

Re: What luxury car / SUV for 1.5 - 2 crores?

How about a Volvo XC90 T8 Excellence. Luxurious 4 seater with future proof tech. Looks great too.
Aditya_Bhp is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 20:49   #17
BHPian

I suggest the M5. It will meet all his requirements including reliability. Its a sleeper too.
Quote:
• Supercar performance with practicality. Can seat 4 in comfort and do silly things
What luxury car / SUV for 1.5 - 2 crores?-dsc08135.jpg

I'd suggest Landcruiser if he's keen on SUVs.

Last edited by Flyer : 3rd June 2019 at 20:58.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 00:25   #18
BHPian

With all due respects, I don't think any of the mid size performance sedans(E63, M5, RS7) and will be in the budget at all, so what about a C63 S AMG? It will be extremely inconspicuous, a hooligan when you put the foot down and comfortable when you don't! This is the last chance to experience these type of cars since everything is moving to hybrids nowadays and will be comfortably in the budget as well.

If reliability is paramount and your friend isn't looking at a performance car, you can also have a look at the Lexus LX470h. Yes, I agree it's overpriced but you get finer interiors and badge value compared to the LC200.

If he doesn't mind used cars, I'd suggest him to go crazy and get himself a used early model Rolls Royce Ghost! I mean, you should never pass an opportunity to own a Rolls and feel like a king!

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 00:42   #19
BHPian

I think the Lexus RX 450h meets all the requirements. Its sufficiently powerful for everyday driving. If he isn't going to track the car then there is no point going for the overly powerful M/AMG cars. The RX is one of the nicest places to be in. If he can wait for the 2020 version that will be available in the next few months, he will have apple car play and a better suspension on the RX.
HKap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 10:17   #20
Team-BHP Support

I get the feeling he isn't looking for something sporty. So leave out the Ms, AMGs and RSs.

That leaves him with a couple of choices as per me -

750li - This is a CBU, and I'm sure he can manage one at a good discount too. A couple more features than the CKD, and the 4.4 V8, along with the good chassis means it'll be nice to drive and yet comfortable at the same time.

S500 Maybach - Comfort here will be ultimate, don't need to say more. He may find it a bit cumbersome to drive, but that depends on where it has to be used.

Range Rover Vogue - Under 2cr I think the 3.0d would be the engine available, possibly in the SE trim. This will have a lot of space, and comfort and he needn't worry about the roads (which to me is a big +).

X7M50d - This is a great suggestion, but I would wait to drive it to see if it really is as good on comfort as BMW claims. I don't doubt it, but lets see if it matches up to the Range. This should be in consideration IMO.

GLS - The new GLS as you suggested, is also a great option. Though I think there are still a couple of months to go before it is launched.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 11:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Depends on the car he wants.

In a sedan, it is hard to look beyond the S-class.

In a 4x4, the Land Cruiser is the one to pick.

In a sports car type vehicle, there are more options. The Porsche Panamera, the BMW M series (M3 or M5), the Mercedes AMG's, the Audi S and RS cars and even the Lexus.

In the car type cross off roaders, the XC90 has to be the pick.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 12:38   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton, all! Have forwarded the link to my friend & he expresses his sincere gratitude.

Some comments from him:

- No, despite being my friend, he's not open to pre-owned .

- No chance of buying the obscenely overpriced + outdated Landcruiser.

- He will be test-driving the Cayenne.

- X7, GLS & Q8 are all on the list. Waiting.

- Doesn't need a performance car, so no M5 or E63. IMHO, he'd be happier with the 6-cylinder diesel versions of those cars (especially the LWB E-Class) at half the price.

- After Turbanator & Akshay's posts, he has put the Maybach back on the list.

- Ignoring cars from segments below (V90, GLE, XC90).
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 12:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks a ton, all! Have forwarded the link to my friend & he expresses his sincere gratitude.
Pls ask him to check the Panamera out as well. I recently drove one and it simply blew me away. What a car.

Last edited by GTO : 4th June 2019 at 15:20. Reason: Trimming quote
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 19:20   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Your friend has a confusing priority. He self drives but cares about backseat too!

Although I really like the Maybach, I really don't see why one would get that over the regular S if you are not 99% chauffeured. It's HUGE and while it has a quick V8, you will never be able to use that power in a city because it's too big to wiggle around traffic. Heck, even the regular S is a LWB so not the best for this purpose, although in your friends case I would pick the S450 over the S560 Maybach

The X7 M50 will be a great option and probably better than the S in this case.

Panamera would have been great but will be above his budget OTR. Cayenne Hybrid could be a good option too.

Since he keeps his cars for long, he should lean towards Petrol engines. There are great options today in the market and priced at par with the diesel but give equal or better FE and performance. Also, in the long term the future of diesels in this country is dicey. Never know what policy strikes.

A friend had to sell his RR sport in Delhi for barely 20 lakhs as it is was 8 years old and more than 10 year old diesels arent allowed on Delhi roads. Whose to say this might not start in other states soon?
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 13:02   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally, a lot depends on his driving preference.

Given that sporty cars are out, I'd recommend picking between the following:

SUVs:
1) Cayenne: It's unique, available in an e-hybrid variant that should give the bonus green points, spacious, but still small enough to make city driving stress free.

2) X7 / new GLS: Expect these mammoth luxury barges to offer the best rear seat experience an SUV can.
The BMW should be better to drive, but unless you really crave the extra performance (which your friend doesn't seem to), I'd go the Mercedes way simply due to the more relaxed ambience that a Mercedes seems to offer.
That being said - you will definitely feel the size unlike the Cayenne.

Sedans:
1) S350 / 450: undoubtedly the leader of the segment in terms of comfort. The Maybach could be a little cumbersome to drive in the city - I for one wouldn't want to be caught dead in one in Lower Parel / Pedder road traffic for instance.

2) BMW 7 series: The S Class for the younger crowd. It doesn't command the respect an S Class does on the road, but it will tick all the boxes at a comparatively better price.

Just a thought: If there are other cars at home for outstation runs / airport runs - why not consider something like a CLS. It is unique, it looks superb, and will be perfect for the self driven person. It may get a little cramped in the back seat - but if his family is comfortable with the idea, it could be an interesting option.
Only wish Mercedes got the 6 cylinder 350d here instead of the 300d.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 14:16   #26
BHPian

How about the Maserati Levante? I saw it in Singapore, and it looked quite nice. I guess it should be in the range of 1.75 OTR. Something different from the "regular" Germans!

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 6th June 2019 at 14:18.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 23:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
How about the Maserati Levante? I saw it in Singapore, and it looked quite nice. I guess it should be in the range of 1.75 OTR. Something different from the "regular" Germans!
I really doubt that it would fulfil his long term reliability criteria. Also, Carwale shows that only the diesel variants are available which might not work well if the 10-year ban comes into effect in other places as well (not to mention affecting resale value on a car with an already low resale).

I agree that it's a different proposition from the regular Germans and it looks really good but it is not really a value for money package all things considered IMO. Especially since it isn't exactly that comfy for a family.
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 11:31   #28
BHPian

Why not a Tesla? There are many Model Xs in India now and from what the internet says, it is comfortable. Unless he does interstate trips, the long range models should work well as well. However, I am not sure of the long term reliability and the cost aspects of it.
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 12:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT at 1.4 crores:

0-100 4.4 seconds (close enough to RS7)

475 Bhp

637 Nm torque
Attached Thumbnails
What luxury car / SUV for 1.5 - 2 crores?-1image.jpeg  

Last edited by AMG Power : 18th June 2019 at 12:36.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 11:50   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT at 1.4 crores:

0-100 4.4 seconds (close enough to RS7)

475 Bhp

637 Nm torque
It lacks the badge value and appeal, after spending 1.4 crores if someone tells you 'Nice jeep compass' you will be deeply hurt.

PS-No offence to jeep compass owners, its an awesome car but you get the drift.
$tar_boy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed