Team-BHP - What luxury car / SUV for 1.5 - 2 crores?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   What luxury car / SUV for 1.5 - 2 crores? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/209818-what-luxury-car-suv-1-5-2-crores.html)

A friend is looking for a luxury car for 2 crores or under. Requirements:

- Not chauffeur-driven. He will be driving himself 100% of the time.

- Should be spacious enough to keep a family of 4 in comfort.

- Petrol or diesel doesn't matter.

- Sedan or SUV doesn't matter.

- Keeps cars for a long time, so long-time reliability is important.

- He does like the S-Class as well as Range Rovers. However, he is concerned about the long-term reliability of Range Rovers (I fed that into him too). A friend of his bought the Maybach, although he thinks its grossly overpriced.

I've also told him to wait for the new GLS-Class. Looks promising.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :thumbs up.

Is he open to pre-owned? At that budget I'm pretty sure he can get a great deal on a slightly used S-Class or 7-Series which would be under warranty and he will save enough on the sticker price to pay for any repairs a few years down the line. The Lexus LS500h, while grossly overpriced, might interest him too considering the long-term ownership track record the brand has. Or maybe the LC200? Not sure about how luxurious it is but it should literally last generations.

The new GLS and even X5 & X7 are quite good but long-term reliability might be an issue especially considering the amount of tech these cars have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4598423)

LC 200 eyes closed. Nothing comes even close to it in terms of imposing stance and reliability. Interiors are not S-Class level, but definitely liveable.

Some people are truly blessed!

As good as the S Class is, this model has been on the road for a few years now and a new gen S will be out soon. And also considering that the car will be self driven, I'd put my money on the new 7. If only I had so much $$ to splurge lol:

Quote:

Mercedes Benz are known for their long term reliability. The new GLS sounds nice.

I would also suggest to look into the Porsche Cayenne. Fantastic car to drive and about two of my friends have happily driven 1L + KMs on their Cayenne's trouble-free.

The new Turbo Petrol engine makes it a hoot to self-drive.

The new G Wagon G350 D seems perfect. Timeless design, non AMG ride quality / reliability and luxurious interiors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4598456)
LC 200 eyes closed. Nothing comes even close to it in terms of imposing stance and reliability. Interiors are not S-Class level, but definitely liveable.

LC if looking for value for money under 2Cr. Lexus LX570 if budget can be stretched. LS600h if sedan comfort is primary. Any of these cars will remain trouble free for a decade at least. A german luxo barge will mostly have ten times the service cost, along with unreliable tech issues consistently. Volvo is a third alternative, after toyota and lexus, only thing being that their resale value isn't as good as toyota/lexus.

Quote:

- Should be spacious enough to keep a family of 4 in comfort.

- Petrol or diesel doesn't matter.

- He does like the S-Class as well as Range Rovers. However, he is concerned about the long-term reliability of Range Rovers (I fed that into him too). A friend of his bought the Maybach, although he thinks its grossly overpriced.

I've also told him to wait for the new GLS-Class. Looks promising.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :thumbs up.

New X7 M50d with captain seats at middle row with rear entertainment professional. 2 Cr gives him the freedom to choose some options like optional 5 zone climate control and all leather pack etc. The engine is proven for reliability and comes with quad turbo producing over 400 bhp with practicality of diesel. I am sure he will not regret driving this machine himself.

Volvo V90 Cross country looks like an interesting proposition. Comfort, handling and performance of a luxury sedan with an ability to take on rough roads.

Since your friend will be driving the car by himself and needs space for only 4, I'd highly recommend checking out the following options (in that particular order):
S350d - might feel a little large from behind the wheel for a daily-driver, but if he is ok with that, the S is the one to go for.

E63S - Although an enthusiasts choice, this car has a dual personality - it can be a calm and composed luxury sedan while in traffic, and a complete lunatic when in the mood for some fun.

GLE Coupe - enjoyable to drive, spacious and practical enough for long journeys, and stands-out in a crowd of conventional SUVs and sedans. Although the last point is something that might work against it - its styling, some like it, some don't.

Now before you judge me categorize me as a Mercedes fanboy, let me tell you that in my opinion neither BMW, nor Audi have anything as good in that price range, and Range Rovers are still not the last word when it comes to reliability.

An alternative that could be considered is the Porsche Cayenne. IMO the GLS or X7 or even the Q8 are simply too huge to be managed on a day-to-day basis in city traffic.

Having said all that, if you could share what he is driving currently or upgrading from, it would make the recommendations a lot easier. stupid:

Quote:

A friend is looking for a luxury car for 2 crores or under.

- He does like the S-Class as well as Range Rovers. A friend of his bought the Maybach, although he thinks its grossly overpriced.

You have suggested him correctly regarding Range Rovers. His thoughts about Maybach seems to be a little different as I found it most VFM Car from Mercedes stupid: I was getting about 16 Lac discount and Ex-Showroom in February was 1,98, they might have changed a little bit. This particular car was 2019 MY but produced in the last week of December 2018 and had new shape grills.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...-revealed.html

When compared with S class or any other premium car, Maybach oozes Quality everywhere. Just the Sound system should be worth over 20 Lac. It has an 8 Cylinder Petrol engine good for 0-100 in about 5 sec which is faster than 530-D! Though the extra length and overall image of this car is more for rear seat usage but I have seen many people in Delhi self-driving this.

Another option can be a Porsche Cayenne but it is overpriced though he can configure this to his liking and is a very good car from self-driving prospective. If he does not want a 4 seater all the time, how about the new 911? It starts from 1,65 and with decent loadings should fit well within the budget. Perhaps, he can pick an Innova for those family duties :)

LC-200 can also be considered if Reliability is a major concern, I guess its in the last stage of its lifecycle and we won't get 8 Cylinder Diesel in future. Blue in Tan does look good.

What luxury car / SUV for 1.5 - 2 crores?-whatsapp-image-20190603-4.33.13-pm.jpeg

Quote:

I've also told him to wait for the new GLS-Class.
Can wait for GLS or X7 but they will be cheaper, more like 1,0-1,10 Ex-Showroom.

wouldn't the Porsche cayenne be the ideal choice for him? Or the Panamera if he wants a sedan?

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 4598612)
wouldn't the Porsche cayenne be the ideal choice for him? Or the Panamera if he wants a sedan?

Agreed. The Cayenne and Panamera are both fantastic vehicles and and a refreshing change from the usual Merc/BMW/Audi. Since the car is gonna be self-driven, a Porsche is hard to beat.

long-time reliability plus decent luxury, Lexus comes to my mind. RX450 would be a good option, if he is okay with its looks and lack of Horses. :)
High GC, good service, badge value(to a certain extent).

Self driven and a huge budget - that's easy - E63S/RS7/M5 - take your pick.