Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2019, 13:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW X1 or Mercedes C220d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
Yes, the jaguar XE is one of the real good choices. Plus the top model Portfolio variant is available at a discount of INR 9 lakhs here in Delhi. Costing around 42 Lacs On road.
This is the outgoing model, right? When will the facelift come to IN I wonder?

Definitely looks sharper with new interiors and more powerful engines too I think.
Old 19th June 2019, 14:23   #17
RWD
BHPian

RWD vs FWD

Sedan vs Crossover

Pricier vs Cheaper

Heart vs Head

If I were in your shoes, I will pick the C over X1. Looks more opulent and contemporary compared to X1, which is due for a facelift. X1 while a good car, looks just a tad basic today. Having said that, if this is going to be the only car in the household, then X1 makes more sense, as it more spacious, especially with kids in the back, can handle all sorts of terrain during a road-trip, and is expected to be more reliable and easier to maintain.

Bottom line - X1's halogen bulb tail lamps will haunt you forever.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 or Mercedes C220d?-bmwx1.jpg  

RWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 16:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD View Post
RWD vs FWD

Sedan vs Crossover

Pricier vs Cheaper

Heart vs Head

If I were in your shoes, I will pick the C over X1. Looks more opulent and contemporary compared to X1, which is due for a facelift. X1 while a good car, looks just a tad basic today. Having said that, if this is going to be the only car in the household, then X1 makes more sense, as it more spacious, especially with kids in the back, can handle all sorts of terrain during a road-trip, and is expected to be more reliable and easier to maintain.

@RWD: Your post is going to haunt me every-time I see a X1.

Having said that, X1 is definitely a practical choice & M-Sport version of it does probably have everything you will ever need.

The C does have its charm & of course it went through a LCI recently.

In the longer run, X1 might serve you better. If your budget does permit, take a look at the 3GT M Sport 2.0L Petrol, it is the best of both worlds & very decent legroom at the back.
salman_ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 22:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Dont hesitate and get BSI and extended warranty, even though they (BMW) claim 12000 km service intervals its usually around 8000kms and I got brakes and discs replaced due to some noise coming from them at 17k kms so definitely a must have
Old 20th June 2019, 06:36   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Dont hesitate and get BSI and extended warranty, even though they (BMW) claim 12000 km service intervals its usually around 8000kms and I got brakes and discs replaced due to some noise coming from them at 17k kms so definitely a must have
Oh so glad to hear that you I am not alone. I recently started worrying as ever since my purchase in 2013, my 320d has always gone for an engine oil service within 7-8k kms instead of the 12k shown by i-drive at the start. Infact just 2 weeks back I got my most recent oil service done and in only another 500 kms since then the i-drive has deducted 1000 kms from the next oil service interval range.

To the OP: I would suggest the X1. Above all other things that are different between the 2 cars, for me the most important is the higher GC. Yes when you live with the car day in and day out, things like features and the type of bulb in your rear tail light matters less when compared to the constant thread posed by the mini-Mt. Everest examples our government has installed on every road in the name of speed bumps. At least that is true in Gurugram. Less frequent but equally tense "heart in your mouth" moments are encountered while negotiating water logged roads during Monsoons. Then there have been incidents while taking the car on highways where due to a accident etc. the Cops divert the smaller traffic (read cars) on the side road and my 320d has scarped multiple times while trying to cross over from the main highway road on to the kacha side road. The only other option is to wait for hours for the main highway to clear.

There would be many more such examples and instances. But all in all, me and my better half have decided to never buy another sedan in this country. It is only cross overs or proper SUVs. And for this reason alone I would pick the X1 over the C.

Lastly my experience with BMW after sales has been pleasant so far ( 5+ years and counting) specially if you opt in for the BSI packs. You are free of any service related stress and only recently they have significantly reduced the pricing for the same. Servicing the C might be a more costly affair.

Last edited by drmohitg : 20th June 2019 at 06:47.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 08:14   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5150 View Post
So what should I do fellow bhpians?
Personally, I would go for the Mercedes, still love Sedans and the C is indeed an elegant machine.

I see your location as Trivandrum, and Kerala is a Mercedes state. In my last visit (in December), the no. of white Mercedes cars spotted on road easily outnumbered BMW, Audi etc. And their service network is wider (and consistent) compared to BMW.
Heard a joke that, in Kerala at old times having an elephant was considered as a status symbol for an affluent family, now its replaced by a S-Class

As many suggested the X1 is a good-looking car as well, and since you already have a C in the family, the BMW maybe good to break the monotony. However I believe the X1 is due for a facelift soon.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 11:15   #22
Team-BHP Support

My order of priority, if you are strictly in the big Germans:

1. 3 GT
2. X1
3. 3 series

The 3 GT gives you the ownership feel of being a segment higher than the X1.
Both 3 GT and X1 feel distinctly more spacious than the C, particularly if boot space and space saver both are important to you. I will be the first to admit to the design allure of the mercs but practicality and space wise the Beemers offer a better experience.

If you are willing to look beyond the Germans of course the conversation changes altogether.

Agree with GTO, BS VI is irrelevant - your car needs to comply with the prevalent BS norms at point of first sale. I do not think it should impact resale value because you have bought whatever was legal at the time.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 17:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Oh so glad to hear that you I am not alone. I recently started worrying as ever since my purchase in 2013, my 320d has always gone for an engine oil service within 7-8k kms instead of the 12k shown by i-drive at the start. Infact just 2 weeks back I got my most recent oil service done and in only another 500 kms since then the i-drive has deducted 1000 kms from the next oil service interval range.
Yes this is quite common and happens on a lot of the cars so dont worry
Old 20th June 2019, 17:34   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Both 3 GT and X1 feel distinctly more spacious than the C, particularly if boot space and space saver both are important to you.
Does the 3GT come with space for the space saver or it needs to be put in the boot, compromising the boot space. AFAIK the current X1 comes with dedicated space for the space saver tyre while the 3GT does not, significantly limiting the usable boot space.
Old 20th June 2019, 18:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Having owned 3GT 20d for three years, I can say it’s a fantastic car, except if you can live with rear quarter looks (I did not like it !). However, 3GT is phasing out..so take a wise decision.
My problems with the GT are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
On SUV front, why only X1? try X3, X4 as well as they are quite new still and will give you a premium feel.

If you are looking for sedan, try Merc AMG line which is top of the C class.

Last but not the least, it’s time to get confused buddy. Please listen to your heart only.

Brdgs
Sail
The C300 and X3 both cross 60L OTR and thus out of consideration. Damn my overthinking heart/brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly, a BMW fan here as well. I have the 328i for the fun drives, and my wife has the C220d.

Everything said and done - the C has really grown on me: it has a lovely steering, great interiors, excellent highway mannerisms, very easy to pilot around town with excellent visibility and a small turning radius, etc.
That being said - it isn't the best choice for a trip due to it's limited boot space, the GC can be a little challenging on bad roads / gigantic speed breakers (though I didn't have any trouble on a Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar drive, but the car has scraped a few speed breakers in Mumbai itself with a full load of passengers), and yes - maintenance is more expensive than it's peers.

If any of the above are an issue - the X1 could be the better choice if you travel frequently on poorer roads otherwise I would pick the C.
We came very close to picking one up last year, but ended up with the Tiguan which was that much more spacious, better VFM post discounts, etc.

3GT: Personally, compared to the C, it will feel dated. It is definitely a lot more practical and balances the X1 & C virtues brilliantly - but you will feel the age every time you sit in your parents C.
Maybe pick one pre-owned and save on depreciation that will hit you very soon when the G20 comes out and this is discontinued - if running isn't much the 330i GT would be a fun car!
Are you me?? My thoughts exactly.
I would have loved to try the G20 the front looks awesome. Not a big fan of the new taillights though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD View Post
RWD vs FWD

Sedan vs Crossover

Pricier vs Cheaper

Heart vs Head

Agree 100%. Leaning towards the C, due to mainly city driving and I have another smaller car for rough use.

Quote:
Lastly my experience with BMW after sales has been pleasant so far ( 5+ years and counting) specially if you opt in for the BSI packs. You are free of any service related stress and only recently they have significantly reduced the pricing for the same. Servicing the C might be a more costly affair.
Servicing the C would be more expensive but their new service packs/extended warranty is surprisingly competetive with BMW and hopefully makes the issue moot
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Hi Jay, any reason why you are not considering the Jaguar XE? I test drove it and loved the "handshake" as u start up, great ride quality and zippy drive
I am a bit wary of the Jaguar pedigree. Front looks are no longer "new". Reliability in the mid to long term I think is an issue.

Another thing for me is that I live in Trivandrum, although being the capital, all the dealers, i.e. Audi, Volvo, Jaguar, BMW are based in Cochin about 250 km away and that definitely is an issue. Mercedes has a full dealership and service center here and that would be easy on the mind i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
My order of priority, if you are strictly in the big Germans:

1. 3 GT
2. X1
3. 3 series

The 3 GT gives you the ownership feel of being a segment higher than the X1.
Both 3 GT and X1 feel distinctly more spacious than the C, particularly if boot space and space saver both are important to you. I will be the first to admit to the design allure of the mercs but practicality and space wise the Beemers offer a better experience.

If you are willing to look beyond the Germans of course the conversation changes altogether.
The 3GT is a mouthwatering offer but even today looks a bit dated, let alone that godawful back hump.
The X1 is a great car but i feel a bit too many deficiencies, plus the upcoming facelift.
I would have loved the new G20, I love the looks from the front especially. But it will be pricey and there is no concrete delivery date.

One more test drive with the X1 tonight to show off the ambient lighting to my wife.
Thats the primary feature she's bothered about

For that reason i think the C220d is ahead in the decision process.
Jay5150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 18:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The C300 and X3 both cross 60L OTR and thus out of consideration. Damn my overthinking heart/brain!
For that reason i think the C220d is ahead in the decision process.
I think C300 crosses the 60L by 1.5L in Trivandrum. Hunting other dealerships in the country who have stock might get you some discount.
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 19:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
I think C300 crosses the 60L by 1.5L in Trivandrum. Hunting other dealerships in the country who have stock might get you some discount.
You're right the C300 comes to about 61.5L OTR @TVM. No discounts offered. I got 3L+ discounts on the C220 thats why its even under consideration because our initial budget stretched to get to the X1.
Jay5150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 05:45   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Have never driven an X1 - but drove the front wheel drive X2 sdrive 18i in Europe recently. I also drove an E450. I must say despite being outclassed on power, even the front wheel drive X2 was arguably better to drive, at least if you like taut steering. An X1 will probably have more body roll but should still be good. Go with your post test drive call on this. And agree with those who say this should be your wife’s and your decision, not that of anyone who else.

Last edited by Hayek : 21st June 2019 at 05:48.
Old 21st June 2019, 11:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
You're right the C300 comes to about 61.5L OTR @TVM. No discounts offered. I got 3L+ discounts on the C220 thats why its even under consideration because our initial budget stretched to get to the X1.
Got it. Suggesting something different. Why not the Mini range? I feel Countryman might interest you. Even the Clubman should fall within your budget.

Quoting a part of Sahil's post from another thread about Countryman:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
We own a countryman in the family since the past 4-5 years and it's a great car. Makes you feel special and different from the crowd. Also it's maintenance has not been problematic or very expensive at all.
Old 21st June 2019, 11:48   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does the 3GT come with space for the space saver or it needs to be put in the boot, compromising the boot space. AFAIK the current X1 comes with dedicated space for the space saver tyre while the 3GT does not, significantly limiting the usable boot space.
X1 has a dedicated space but what that effectively does is raise the boot floor artificially a little to accommodate the wheel (same in new 5 series as well).

The GT (including the new 6 GT) has the regular boot with the wheel placed on top in the boot. Few points. The boot is really massive and I have done long weekend holidays with full family and luggage and the wheel and its never been a problem. With the C, the wheel significantly compromises boot space in an already compact boot. If you are only 3 people traveling, the GT (and the X1) will give you added 60:40 flexibility. I like those options and for those reasons alone a C or E would never work for me.

Most Viewed