Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2019, 10:06   #46
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 or Mercedes C220d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
1. Yes a demo car is an unregistered car hence the buyer will be the first owner.
2. Warranty usually starts from the day of invoice for a demo car.
3. Bank loan interest rate would be that of a new car. At as it is unregistered and buyer will be the first owner.

Hi Aman,
Thanks a lot for your response. I highly appreciate it.

In that case, I think demo cars are of much better value than used cars of similar age? Please share your opinion on the same.
Old 14th October 2019, 14:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amith_kumar View Post
Hi Aman,

Thanks a lot for your response. I highly appreciate it.

In that case, I think demo cars are of much better value than used cars of similar age? Please share your opinion on the same.

They are many different opinions about this, but for me personally, demo cars are better as they are maintained with company standards and you can get many attractive deals on them as well.
Old 14th October 2019, 19:08   #48
BHPian

Quote:
They are many different opinions about this, but for me personally, demo cars are better as they are maintained with company standards and you can get many attractive deals on them as well.
Thanks a lot Aman.

Can you please tell if there is anything specific that one should look while buying a demo car?
Old 15th October 2019, 14:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
1. Yes a demo car is an unregistered car hence the buyer will be the first owner.
2. Warranty usually starts from the day of invoice for a demo car.
3. Bank loan interest rate would be that of a new car. At as it is unregistered and buyer will be the first owner.
Warranty starts from the day the dealer starts using the car for their demo use. It is the day PDI is done and info is available either in idrive or their service records.

Even their Secure advance package starts from that date only.
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 15:00   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would disagree here.
A demo car is well - a demo car. People come, fiddle with the buttons, revv the engines, test the acceleration, handling and braking.
Yes - it will be maintained better - all the scratches will be covered up but don't expect much else : downtime for a demo car is a business loss at the end of the day and the dealers are prepared to sell them off at 10-15K kms for all new models.
Also, demo cars being unregistered and sold by the dealer often command a higher price than an already registered customer car.

I am often tempted by demo cars available at BMW, JLR & Mercedes dealerships, but it just makes that much more sense to negotiate a brand new un-abused vehicle for literally peanuts more - even if it means a lower trim.

In fact - BMW is probably the only company who's demo car I would pick up.
Slow sales, big discounts, comprehensive care packages for up to 10 years IIRC, and often they've clocked a lot less mileage than an equivalent Mercedes demo car.

Last edited by lamborghini : 15th October 2019 at 15:01.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 15:32   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Warranty starts from the day the dealer starts using the car for their demo use. It is the day PDI is done and info is available either in idrive or their service records.

Even their Secure advance package starts from that date only.

Thanks a ton for your response.

It is really bad then. Is that the reason they want to sell it within 2 years or else they will have to purchase extended warranty for the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I would disagree here.
A demo car is well - a demo car. People come, fiddle with the buttons, revv the engines, test the acceleration, handling and braking.
Yes - it will be maintained better - all the scratches will be covered up but don't expect much else : downtime for a demo car is a business loss at the end of the day and the dealers are prepared to sell them off at 10-15K kms for all new models.
Also, demo cars being unregistered and sold by the dealer often command a higher price than an already registered customer car.

I am often tempted by demo cars available at BMW, JLR & Mercedes dealerships, but it just makes that much more sense to negotiate a brand new un-abused vehicle for literally peanuts more - even if it means a lower trim.

In fact - BMW is probably the only company who's demo car I would pick up.
Slow sales, big discounts, comprehensive care packages for up to 10 years IIRC, and often they've clocked a lot less mileage than an equivalent Mercedes demo car.

Thanks a lot for your response.

I was also considering a BMW(X1 to be precise). True, a new unused car is any day better than a demo car. What do you think could be difference in price between the two?

Also, I was comparing a 1-2 year old used car and a demo car. Between these 2 I was thinking that demo route is better due to warranty and RC update as first owner.

My assumption is that the people going for test drive of these luxury cars would be decent enough to not rough-up the car. I may be entirely wrong, because I have myself never gathered the courage to test drive one.

My only apprehension was that in case of a used car, there is a probability that the person is selling it because it was a lemon. Is there any way to save yourself from such a situation?
Old 15th October 2019, 16:13   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I was also considering a BMW(X1 to be precise). True, a new unused car is any day better than a demo car. What do you think could be difference in price between the two?

Also, I was comparing a 1-2 year old used car and a demo car. Between these 2 I was thinking that demo route is better due to warranty and RC update as first owner.

My assumption is that the people going for test drive of these luxury cars would be decent enough to not rough-up the car. I may be entirely wrong, because I have myself never gathered the courage to test drive one.

My only apprehension was that in case of a used car, there is a probability that the person is selling it because it was a lemon. Is there any way to save yourself from such a situation?
So earlier on this thread I had commented that a used BMW X3 Demo could be a good option.
Reason for that being that it is a new gen, would be within warranty, first owner, with a good 4-5L off the current on-road pricing.
Generally higher segment demo's maybe better driven (barring the sportier variants / models of course), and of course BMWs service & warranty plans - which can be extended for up to 10 years; and an unavailability of the vehicle in the used car market easily since it's a new model.

For the X1 however - I would not necessarily recommend a demo. It is a fairly popular car in it's segment so many buyers would have test driven it - including many first time buyers who want to understand what is the big halo around these brands. That coupled with the general norm that people aren't as careful with rentals / demos as they are with something they've purchased with their hard earned money.
With the deals available on the X1 - an unregistered demo may not save you enough (if you factor in the year or two of lost warranty and BSI, and higher wear and tear you may not really save enough to justify peace of mind - remember, maintenance isn't cheap for these Germans as say any Japanese / Korean manufacturers) - No Cold starts, coupled with red-lining, no switching off a hot engine without idling the turbo, no pressing all the buttons to see what it does, no 'testing' the suspension - etc. Let's face it, even us enthusiasts are a lot rougher with demo cars than we are with our own vehicles despite knowing better!
I am not sure of the pricing of demo X1s - but if we assume it will cost Rs. 5L cheaper than a new X1, and has done 15Kkm :
1) New tyres around 20Kkm : Rs. 60K for RFT
2) BSI & BRI value which you will lose for the 1-2 years : Rs. 40K
3) Brake pads around 25K: Another 30K I assume

So net-net the difference is down to Rs. 3.5L within 10,000kms! And you are assured a brand new vehicle! This is not factoring other unknown costs that could come up due to the rougher use which will mostly show their face in the longer run.

As for privately owned vehicles - yes, they could be selling it because it's a lemon. But if the car is less than 2 years old (or 3 in case of Mercedes), chances are that all services and maintenance would be carried out by the dealer (due to warranty). It is easy to review the service records and have the car inspected by the service center once before purchasing it - it'll cost you of course - but if it's a genuine car - it would save you a lot of money! Plus, there is a good possibility the owner has purchased BSI / BRI - in which case you would just have to extend the same.

Last edited by lamborghini : 15th October 2019 at 16:17.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 16:36   #53
BHPian

Quote:
So earlier on this thread I had commented that a used BMW X3 Demo could be a good option.
===============
As for privately owned vehicles - yes, they could be selling it because it's a lemon. But if the car is less than 2 years old (or 3 in case of Mercedes), chances are that all services and maintenance would be carried out by the dealer (due to warranty). It is easy to review the service records and have the car inspected by the service center once before purchasing it - it'll cost you of course - but if it's a genuine car - it would save you a lot of money! Plus, there is a good possibility the owner has purchased BSI / BRI - in which case you would just have to extend the same.

Words would not suffice for how grateful I am for your detailed response. It absolutely makes sense to go for a new car if the price difference in just a couple of lakhs.

Just one more advice, what would be your opinion if the demo car has run just 2-3 thousand KMs (or less than 5000KMs) and is less than a year old(2019 model). I saw few of them available on BMW's website for around 30Lakh.

Also, thanks for telling me the ways to check for a lemon. I highly appreciate your help.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th October 2019 at 16:41. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
Old 15th October 2019, 16:44   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Just one more advice, what would be your opinion if the demo car has run just 2-3 thousand KMs (or less than 5000KMs) and is less than a year old(2019 model). I saw few of them available on BMW's website for around 30Lakh.
Honestly in such a case, it will all boil down to pricing.
Given how each year or two they update their cars with newer features and the like, and with the facelifted X1 around the corner - this demo could be a good choice subject to the actual pricing and feel of the car!
I am guessing it's 30L ex-showroom - how much would it work out to on-road compared to the new one.
Old 15th October 2019, 17:37   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly in such a case, it will all boil down to pricing.
Given how each year or two they update their cars with newer features and the like, and with the facelifted X1 around the corner - this demo could be a good choice subject to the actual pricing and feel of the car!
I am guessing it's 30L ex-showroom - how much would it work out to on-road compared to the new one.
Yes, this 30L is ex-showroom. The On-Road price should be anywhere around 36L.

Thanks once again for your response.
Old 27th October 2019, 16:01   #56
buz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash2385 View Post
I am surprised to hear such price difference from region to region. Let’s forget about OTR and compare ex-showroom pricing. We got a xLine petrol this month for 28.5L exshowroom. Nearly a 10L discount.
You got a new one at this price!?? I am thinking myself of getting the x1. Which Mumbai dealer is offering this level of discount?
Old 28th October 2019, 11:03   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
You got a new one at this price!?? I am thinking myself of getting the x1. Which Mumbai dealer is offering this level of discount?
We got ours from Navnit Motors. The feedback I have received is we just got lucky in a poor market. They are not offering the same price levels now.

Last edited by manson : 20th November 2019 at 15:13. Reason: Typo.
Old 20th November 2019, 14:34   #58
buz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash2385 View Post
We got ours from Navnit Motors. The feedback I have received is we just got luck in a poor market. They are not offering the same price levels now.
May I ask when did you purchase your vehicle? Am in touch with Navnit motors for my purchase. TIA.
Old 1st December 2019, 16:47   #59
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5150 View Post
Its done!

I have gone ahead and booked the

Mercedes Benz C220d Progressive in Mojave Silver

Hopefully this should tide me over till i finally am able to afford to get into my dream drive, the BMW 530!

I think Audi, Benz & BMW are giving good discounts.
Congrats Jay,
I have a doubt specific to the 9G tronic. I notice that whenever the gear is changed from N to R, N to D1 or D1 to D2 in a slow acceleration, there is a slight noticable "purr" sound from engine, sounds like a rev matching thing but i dont see any abnormal rev drop or pick up? I can notice this easily if the windows are rolled down at standstill. Have you noticed this? I don't remember this in the test drive car. I'm really sensitive to sounds so probably started noticing it after i got my C220D.
As I'm in deeper trouble with my brand new car, I'm waiting for that issue to be fixed first, that post is now active.
Thanks

Last edited by sgm : 1st December 2019 at 17:12.
Old 5th December 2019, 23:39   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
May I ask when did you purchase your vehicle? Am in touch with Navnit motors for my purchase. TIA.
We purchased our vehicle during mid September

Most Viewed