Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2019, 09:56   #1
BHPian

BMW X1 or Mercedes C220d?

Hi guys! Short background is in order first.
The last time i posted here, I had just decided to shift from my old Octavia to a new Civic (Yes! Its been a long time) Anyway, I happily used that car for 7 years with no incident and then bought a then new Ciaz, which i thought was great deal. Bad move! After suffering for a couple of years, I traded it in for a brand new VW Passat Highline last year. What a car! I really enjoyed it, a bit noisy , but the trim levels were awesome. We were all quite happy.

Fast forward 10 months into ownership, and we were returning home after the Easter weekend and we got into a horrific accident. Due to quality German engineering, my wife and kids were survived without a scratch and i just sustained a small wound on my head due to the cracked A-pillar. Suffice to say the car was a total loss.
Details of that incident, I will probably put in the appropriate forum after completion of all formalities.

So now, unexpectedly, we are in the market for a new car and of course there is a financial aspect to it all. We wanted to be in Passat territory.
I would've liked to get another Passat but my wife wasn't having any of it. One the accident memory, and the all black interiors (which she doesn't like). I decided against the Passat because the response of the dealer after the accident was totally surprising. They didn't seem to be interested in retaining the customer.
Skoda was out of the running after I had to literally beg them for a test drive, and the Kodiaq was surprisingly bad on the city roads where i do most of my driving. So I had to go a step up.

Test Drive Montage:
The service extended by all the below dealers were very good, and was very refreshing after the bad experiences @ VW & Skoda.

I did not test drive nor consider the GLA and Q3 at all due to their looks and lack of decent interior.

Audi A4 Technology: Equipment levels were very good. But the test drive vehicle was a Petrol (1.4L?) Drive was not at all good.

Volvo XC40 Inscription: Awesome looks and equipment levels. Interiors very classy. Wife didnt care for the high up seating position. Ride was a bit floaty. Gearbox not that great. AC was really struggling to cool the car. (Maybe a one off). Expensive and Volvo doesn’t do discounts.
Would’ve loved to try out the new S60 but it isn't coming to India anytime soon.

Volvo XC90 Inscription: What a car! Awesome. But too big and way out of our budget.

Toyota Camry: Nice drive, spacious. Quite comfortable. Equipment levels good. Let down by a hideous central console design. I think about 5-8 lakhs too expensive. It would have been a no brainer at about 40L OTR.

Mercedes Benz C220d Progressive: Nice looks, good equipment levels, a tad claustrophobic. I really dig the new looks and colours. Drive was good. Great gearbox. Don’t like the steering mounted gear selector. Spousal approval+
A bit expensive for our budget but we can stretch quite a bit to accommodate if required. The Prime variant comes closer to our budget. But i feel there are too many trade offs (smaller wheels, smaller sunroof, NO android auto, and only all black interior) where it loses its appeal.

BMW 320d Luxury line: The demo car was of the older outgoing model, and frankly I didn't care for it much. Roof seemed quite low. I was surprised, as I am a BMW fan and used to own a 316i (E46) and loved driving it. They are taking bookings for the new 320d (G20) and promising an August delivery, but I doubt it, as it hasn’t yet been officially announced. I like the G20 looks and trim but there are no discounts and it is about 6-8 lakhs more than the C220d Progressive.

BMW X1 s20d xLine/MSport: Really liked this crossover. Great drive, nice in between seating position. xLine is within our budget. Equipment trim a bit lacking i think. Spousal approval++

BMW GT 320d Luxury: Didn't get to drive it but checked it out. Really nice. BMW is providing really tempting mouthwatering discounts. I can get it slightly cheaper than the C220d.

Now the final decision has to be made and it wouldn’t be exaggerating to say I am going slightly mad. Maybe I am overthinking it.

My parents recently bought the C220d Progressive and my in laws bought the CLA200. So parental pressure is to buy the C220d. My dad says the X1 looks too much like the S-Cross (yikes!)

While I was going through the team bhp forums etc. I suddenly realised one thing: BS-VI!!

The C220d is BS-6 compliant. According to the internet the BMW diesels are not, now they have introduced the BS-6 compliant petrol engines. So in that case I will have to consider the X1 s20i xLine which is the only variant available. I guess that's why they are giving such hefty discounts on their diesels.

So what I need to know is how much of an issue is this going to be. I am hoping to keep this car for at least 5 years. If i take a BMW diesel, will it be difficult to sell it down the line? Would it be better to buy the s20i. I can’t find any reviews of that engine/variant online.

So what should I do fellow bhpians?
Jay5150 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 16:23   #2

re: BMW X1 or Mercedes C220d?

3GT and X1 make sense for the very fact that your parents already own a C220d. Also, the 3GT is an amazing car and I love its understated elegance (Strangely not many like its styling). I hope you went through Graaja 's review of BMW 3GT on TBHP. The 3GT is luxurious, sporty and more spacious than the X1.

This my opinion and I may be a little skewed towards the 3GT . Wait for other BHPians to respond, they might bring in a new car to add to your consideration. It's an interesting confusion to be in.
$tar_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 20:00   #3
BHPian

I own the X1 s20d xLine, fantastic car to drive. I drive the car myself, and solely in the city, I simply love it, build quality is very solid. It has just about decent equipment levels, however, the drive of the diesel X1 always gives a smile on my face. I have driven the C220d as well, not that impressive to drive and very poor thigh support at the back. X1 service costs are almost half of what you'll end up shelling out for the C220d.

When it comes to BS-6 diesel, currently RTO is registering cars as BS-4 only as they don't have the option to select BS-6, so your RC will say BS-4 only, don't know how it works but can be a hassle later on.
aman-bh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 23:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
I own the X1 s20d xLine, fantastic car to drive. I drive the car myself, and solely in the city, I simply love it, build quality is very solid. It has just about decent equipment levels, however, the drive of the diesel X1 always gives a smile on my face. I have driven the C220d as well, not that impressive to drive and very poor thigh support at the back. X1 service costs are almost half of what you'll end up shelling out for the C220d.

When it comes to BS-6 diesel, currently RTO is registering cars as BS-4 only as they don't have the option to select BS-6, so your RC will say BS-4 only, don't know how it works but can be a hassle later on.
Same here. Driving the X1 brought a smile. But I did enjoy the drive of the C220d as well. I hope to take either BSI+ or Compact+ so hopefully service costs shouldn't be an issue. BMW offers 2 year warranty extendable to 6 I think and Benz offers a 3 year warranty again extendable. Both of them are quite competitive with almost identical rates.
Old 16th June 2019, 23:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5150 View Post
BMW GT 320d Luxury: Didn't get to drive it but checked it out. Really nice. BMW is providing really tempting mouthwatering discounts. I can get it slightly cheaper than the C220d.
I would suggest you to test drive the 3GT as well and make a decision. If you are getting big discounts on it, its definitely worth it to be considered.

Quote:
The C220d is BS-6 compliant. According to the internet the BMW diesels are not, now they have introduced the BS-6 compliant petrol engines. So in that case I will have to consider the X1 s20i xLine which is the only variant available. I guess that's why they are giving such hefty discounts on their diesels.

So what I need to know is how much of an issue is this going to be. I am hoping to keep this car for at least 5 years. If i take a BMW diesel, will it be difficult to sell it down the line? Would it be better to buy the s20i. I can’t find any reviews of that engine/variant online.
It will depreciate fast as it has always been. I don't think there would be much of an impact when you trade off the car in 5 years time. Would a person buying a pre-owned car be really concerned if it is a BS4 or BS6?

Last edited by jayguar : 16th June 2019 at 23:54.
jayguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 08:59   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW X1 or Mercedes C220d?

Quote:
So what I need to know is how much of an issue is this going to be.
Answer = ZERO. For anyone buying a car today, it doesn't make a difference whether it's BS6 compliant or not, so don't pick on the basis of that.

Both on your shortlist are very good cars. I guess it really comes down to whether you want a crossover or a sedan. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably buy the X1 because of BMW's stellar reliability, AWD, more cabin space and I find their engine + gearbox tuning to be better than Mercedes or Audi. But there is no denying the C220's design sexiness & the lure of the 3-pointed star as a brand. You must also check out the BMW GT. I personally hate its looks, although there are fans of the car and its practicality.

Quote:
Details of that incident, I will probably put in the appropriate forum after completion of all formalities.
Glad everyone was okay . Please do share details in a new thread.

Quote:
My parents recently bought the C220d Progressive and my in laws bought the CLA200. So parental pressure is to buy the C220d. My dad says the X1 looks too much like the S-Cross (yikes!)
Would suggest that only you + your wife decide on the car. Filter out all other opinions & purchases.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 09:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Answer = ZERO. For anyone buying a car today, it doesn't make a difference whether it's BS6 compliant or not, so don't pick on the basis of that...
THANK YOU!

Quote:
Both on your shortlist are very good cars. I guess it really comes down to whether you want a crossover or a sedan. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably buy the X1 because of BMW's stellar reliability, AWD, more cabin space and I find their engine + gearbox tuning to be better than Mercedes or Audi. But there is no denying the C220's design sexiness & the lure of the 3-pointed star as a brand. You must also check out the BMW GT. I personally hate its looks, although there are fans of the car and its practicality...
The sDrive s20d/s20i is a FWD. The AWD is the xDrive which is not on offer. My heart likes the BMW setup/drive.
The 3GT from a driver's perspective is superb. But my wife is not a great fan on the looks and seating.
I was surprised by how much Benz has improved the C class. Its a whole new beast in aesthetics AND the drive. The 9 speed box was very very smooth.
The way things are going, it looks like it will be the final choice.

Quote:

Glad everyone was okay . Please do share details in a new thread.
It was my first accident in over 25 years of driving and it was terrifying. It really shakes your confidence as a driver especially when your family is also in the car with you. A full breakdown will be coming soon.

Thanks

P.S. What are your thoughts on the extended warranty and service packages? I think the service+ packages are a no brainer due the expensive brake pad changes etc on the C class which seems to be quite common. Also is a 3 year warranty suffice or extend at about 72k per year extended?

Last edited by Jay5150 : 17th June 2019 at 09:47. Reason: wanted a P.S.
Jay5150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 12:46   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 3GT from a driver's perspective is superb. But my wife is not a great fan on the looks and seating.
Me too. Number 1 reason I'd never buy the 3GT is the weird styling.

Quote:
I was surprised by how much Benz has improved the C class. Its a whole new beast in aesthetics AND the drive. The 9 speed box was very very smooth.
The way things are going, it looks like it will be the final choice.
It's a beautiful sedan and yes, Mercedes has greatly improved its driving experience.

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the extended warranty and service packages?
Extended warranty = Go for it with your eyes shut.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 13:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, a BMW fan here as well. I have the 328i for the fun drives, and my wife has the C220d.

Everything said and done - the C has really grown on me: it has a lovely steering, great interiors, excellent highway mannerisms, very easy to pilot around town with excellent visibility and a small turning radius, etc.
That being said - it isn't the best choice for a trip due to it's limited boot space, the GC can be a little challenging on bad roads / gigantic speed breakers (though I didn't have any trouble on a Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar drive, but the car has scraped a few speed breakers in Mumbai itself with a full load of passengers), and yes - maintenance is more expensive than it's peers.

If any of the above are an issue - the X1 could be the better choice if you travel frequently on poorer roads otherwise I would pick the C.
We came very close to picking one up last year, but ended up with the Tiguan which was that much more spacious, better VFM post discounts, etc.

3GT: Personally, compared to the C, it will feel dated. It is definitely a lot more practical and balances the X1 & C virtues brilliantly - but you will feel the age every time you sit in your parents C.
Maybe pick one pre-owned and save on depreciation that will hit you very soon when the G20 comes out and this is discontinued - if running isn't much the 330i GT would be a fun car!

As an option: a pre-owned new gen X3 could be just the answer.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 14:25   #10
BHPian

I own the W205 300d and the car has been a hoot to drive. I test drove the 220d as well and compared to the previous generation, the 192bhp OM654 engine is a vast improvement. If you make the choice of picking up the merc, I would totally suggest that you go for the compact+ package along with the extended warranty. A small price to pay for the peace of mind you get.
akunchala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 20:43   #11
BHPian

I'm a Benz fan, and the C is my favorite in their entire lineup. But in this case the X1 might be a more sensible buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
That being said - it isn't the best choice for a trip due to it's limited boot space,
+1 to that. The last time I checked (in 2016) the C does not have a spare wheel well. That means if you choose to put a spare wheel in the C's boot, you would barely have any space left for your luggage.

According to bhpian the_skyliner's review, the 3GT also comes without a spare wheel well.

Bhpian Chethan B G says his X1 does come with a spare wheel well, so the entire boot can be used for your luggage.

And -- don't quote me on this -- I believe the post 2015 BMW 3-series come with a spare wheel well. But the current 3 series (and the 3GT) is starting to feel dated on the inside.

So, I vote for the X1 for its higher ground clearance and more usable boot space.

Or maybe wait for the G20 and see if you like that

Last edited by voldemort : 17th June 2019 at 20:55. Reason: add additional suggestion
voldemort is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 19:29   #12
BHPian

Firstly, as GTO said just don’t bother about BS-VI, at least for now.

Secondly, decide if you want a Sedan or a SUV/SAV. This decision is vital and should depend on your driving pattern and appetite for travel.

Having owned 3GT 20d for three years, I can say it’s a fantastic car, except if you can live with rear quarter looks (I did not like it !). However, 3GT is phasing out..so take a wise decision.

On SUV front, why only X1? try X3, X4 as well as they are quite new still and will give you a premium feel.

If you are looking for sedan, try Merc AMG line which is top of the C class.

Last but not the least, it’s time to get confused buddy. Please listen to your heart only.

Brdgs
Sail
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 10:45   #13
BHPian

Hi Jay, any reason why you are not considering the Jaguar XE? I test drove it and loved the "handshake" as u start up, great ride quality and zippy drive
Old 19th June 2019, 11:28   #14
BHPian

Yes, the jaguar XE is one of the real good choices. Plus the top model Portfolio variant is available at a discount of INR 9 lakhs here in Delhi. Costing around 42 Lacs On road.

Having driven both the Jag and the C : I had my heart set out for Jag. Even the jag brand carries more premium and turns around more heads than a C..

Regards,
don_carmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 12:12   #15
BHPian

Depends on what you are looking for from the car, the X1 is more for travelling and practicality, the C is more for style and status.
Definitely look for the Jags too, they are nice.
Sunrock is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed