Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 12:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Small luxury car: Mercedes B-Class or Mini Cooper?

Alto to a premium hatch is a good upgrade. All the best! Please do keep in mind that if this is your first euro car, that maintanence will be 6x more than the alto, bet the driving pleasure will be unparalleled.

Regarding your options, if you want a family hatch, the following are my opinions.

1) B class - A very uninspiring product to say the least. Engines are nothing remarkable, the front wheel drive platform is boring and equipment levels aren't great. Advantage compared to the others is that ingress and egress will be easy compared to the other two cars, but the rear seat experience will be pathetic. The backrest is straight like a school bench, and the under thigh support is pathetic.

2) Volvo v40- Styled very well, interior quality is top notch and the meters etc are fancy. Leather quality is from several segments above, and the seats are great. On the flip side, drive is pretty average and space is very tight. Dealer network is sparse for volvo and aftermarket garages don't welcome volvo cars much as parts availability is suspect.

3) Mini cooper 3 door. - Great car if you are driving alone or with a single passenger over good roads. As a daily driver or an only car it's not very practical. Space is at a premium, ride is very hard and the only way to enjoy is is to go for the copper S trim. FE will be in single digits, suspension even harder and the car is sensitive to bad fuel.

Suggestions other than your shortlist

1) Cooper countryman D - I've been using one for almost 70,000 kms now and it's a fantastic all rounder. Looks nice (subjective), interiors quality is mind blowing and design is amazing. Leather is of extremely high quality like the volvo, and space is aplenty. Equipment levels are great with the highline version and your family will be happy wit the legroom in the rear and decent boot space. The amazing Harmon kardon audio is the best in any car under 60 lakhs. Negatives are hard ride (trade off for great handling) and no spare wheel.

2) BMW 1 series - sport/ luxury : A very unique and underrated car. RWD hatch is super fun, and the car is very compact and brilliant for daily use. Equipment levels are good in the higher versions. Avoid the base trim. Negatives are mainly the hard ride from the RFT and limited legroom in the rear. Finding a facelift car will be hard though.

I was in a similar dilemma a while ago, and from the list, my views are from using a cooper S R56, countryman D, and 1 series facelift (all three are daily drives in the family). The others were considered for purchase, but dropped due to the reasons mentioned above.
JayD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 12:40   #17
BHPian

I own a B-class and I can offer my point of view after nearly 5 years of ownership.

1. It is an extremely practical car to live with. It will genuinely surprise you with how useful the car can be.

2. You get the Mercedes badge.

3. Very comfortable to get in and get out. You also get a raised driving position, almost like a crossover.

And that's it. No honestly. That's it.

Now would I recommend a 2017 model? No. There are much better options in the market. Suggestions given by members are worth looking at.

PS- In case you have some specific ownership questions regarding the B-class you can DM me.
veedub89 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 13:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd avoid the B Class & the Mini.

While they are both tempting - they're quite old models and lack of good discounts makes it a no-brainer. Would rather pick a sparingly used one for 50-60% the money as compared to something lying in the stock yard for nearly 2 years!

Instead, depending on the budget, I'd recommend looking out for a good deal on the GLA, X1. Both of these are soon to be facelifted / replaced, so whenever the stock clearance starts - I'd pick one up at a hefty discount.

The X1 in particular is a whole lot more practical, and with a facelift around the corner could be worth looking at because they would offer some brilliant deals on current stock.
Plus BMW offers some excellent warranty and maintenance packages which would be important as maintenance of these cars can cost as much as a new Alto over a span 5-7 years.

Audi's at present are very dated, unless you're open to a sedan (A4).
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 14:34   #19
BHPian

First of all congratulations on the potential upgrade. Well done!

It all depends on what is your definition of touring. If it is like mine and you average 3000-4000 kms in 4-5 days of travel a few times a year then small car and tourer are oxymorons. Especially the luxury small cars on Indian highways. Stiff suspensions + thin wall tires + low ground clearance + random highway speed breakers + sudden potholes are all recipes for a tiring and stressful drive. No matter how expensive, small cars are light in weight and get thrown about with our genius highway undulations and are in general less protective against bigger SUVSs, buses, trucks irrespective of how many airbags they have. Bigger SUVs like the Fortuner, Alturas, Endeavor will always keep your family safer and more comfortable.

On the other hand, if it is just 3-4 hour trips on main highways then the Mini or any other performance hatch is a hoot to drive and is fun in the city too.

Again this is just my 2 cents and your needs may be different. But I drove my GT to Kerala from Pune once and I don't think I would want to do it again. The GT may not be a patch on the Mini but most of the misery would probably remain the same.
yd_gli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 18:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

What a leap! Congrats buddy.
Would suggest VW Tiguan, since its compact and loaded with features.
Old 20th June 2019, 19:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Actually A few misconceptions I would like to clear. The Alto is the oldest car I own, before which I had a premier padmini. I've bought and sold a Ford Fusion, Fiesta and Figo in the meanwhile. Currently own a Honda City and Mobilio RS. So not so much of a leap.

The reason I'm looking for a hatchback rather than a SUV like the X1 or the GLA is as a replacement for the alto. The alto is my go to car in Bangalore especially when I'm visiting the more crowded areas. And huge emotional attachment as I worked really hard to earn money doing double duties to buy it.

I do understand that the B-class is as big as a Duster and just 34 mm short of a GLA, but the shape is more understated and less prone to seek attention. Also looks similar to the alto (By a stretch of my imagination). The same reasons exclude the A-class which looks hot.
Mini is a great car, but still unable to test drive it. What I really found odd was the mechanical seats. As me and my wife rotate usage, every time I adjust the seats, I will feel bad. Plus family concerns as enlisted.

I did look at the Countryman but it is too big for my needs. It's a nice SUV though.

I use the Mobilio for long drives with the family, and the City for solo drives, but a nice hatchback would be good when only 4 of us are traveling. Mobilio has a speed limiter that really kills long drives. Touring generally means sightseeing nearby <300kms. Or a visit to wife's hometown 750 kms away.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st June 2019 at 06:51. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
wildsdi5530 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 19:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore city driving? Nothing beats a Polo GT/GTI. Perfect size, potent engine and since it has sold well, it doesn't attract unwanted attention.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 19:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
The alto is my go to car in Bangalore especially when I'm visiting the more crowded areas. .
Good luck on your search for luxury car, but do test drive a Nano AMT for your city driving.
You will love it more than ALTO.
Old 21st June 2019, 01:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually A few misconceptions I would like to clear.....I use the Mobilio for long drives with the family, and the City for solo drives, but a nice hatchback would be good when only 4 of us are traveling. Mobilio has a speed limiter that really kills long drives. Touring generally means sightseeing nearby <300kms. Or a visit to wife's hometown 750 kms away.
Just my 2 cents- feel free to do otherwise.

Here's what I'd do:

1. Sell the mobilio RS and get an Innova Crysta/Fortuner/Endeavour or a (used) premium SUV which fits your needs. If you are touring/visiting a 5-star hotel or for any other occasion, there is bound to be good parking.

2. Replace the Alto with a Jazz AT. If you can, drive it for a little more time before buying a new car. Bangalore city traffic is notorious that I wouldn't have the a premium car to replace my beater

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st June 2019 at 06:52. Reason: Spacing
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 07:43   #25
BHPian

@wildsdi5530, Congrats on the upgrade!
If I am in your situation, I would,

1. Sell the Mobilio RS and get an Innova Crysta.
2. Keep the City as-is! By the way, what generation is your city?
3. Get a VW Polo GT TSI for my in-city commutes.
4. Keep the Alto, Yes, I am a nerd!
ramji_or is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 08:58   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually A few misconceptions I would like to clear. The Alto is the oldest car I own, before which I had a premier padmini. I've bought and sold a Ford Fusion, Fiesta and Figo in the meanwhile. Currently own a Honda City and Mobilio RS. So not so much of a leap.

The reason I'm looking for a hatchback rather than a SUV like the X1 or the GLA is as a replacement for the alto. The alto is my go to car in Bangalore especially when I'm visiting the more crowded areas.
With that bit of additional information, I'd suggest you keep the luxury option for one of the bigger cars and get something like a Polo GT TSI for your Bangalore runabouts. Even though the Polo is quite dated in terms of it's launch date, the car is still one of the most competent hatchbacks around. It is very well sorted and can be fun for those drives around city with kids at the back (the limited rear space wouldn't be a problem for kids).

You can look at replacing your Honda City with a BMW 330i or your Mobilio with an X1 or a Volvo XC40 or even the XC60. These would be money better spent I feel.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 21st June 2019 at 08:59.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 10:59   #27
BHPian

Nice progression there man! I was looking at this segment a few months back just for the heck of it. Out of all the options listed above it is the A Class that is available in abundance in the preowned market including a few from authorised dealers. Plenty of sparingly used examples were available too. The next most easily available was the A3. Many examples and almost all trims possible are in the used car market. There are however hardly any 1 series cars. Also, with the 1 the interiors of the petrol is about as sparse as the Alto and the space in the back seat is a joke. This is not the case with the A class or the A3. V40 is a great looker but again almost no used ones doing the rounds. Minis are however somewhere in the middle. It's easy to find a good one if you look hard enough. Just my 2p. Of course, all this is relevant to Mumbai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
get something like a Polo GT TSI for your Bangalore runabouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramji_or View Post
If I am in your situation, I would,
get an Innova Crysta.
Get a VW Polo GT TSI for my in-city commutes.
Keep the Alto, Yes, I am a nerd!
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Replace the Alto with a Jazz AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
do test drive a Nano AMT for your city driving.
You will love it more than ALTO.

The man wants a luxury car so let him get one! Please let poor buggers like me have something to ogle at and aspire to

Last edited by Iyencar : 21st June 2019 at 11:10.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 13:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Small/ Looks small
AT
Petrol/ Diesel
Luxury segment
decent tourer

With all these and being a driver's car, I'd pick the cooper without scratching my head too much. A 2-door car is sometimes not very practical, but I don't know how much you travel with 4-5 occupants.

All the best!
Old 21st June 2019, 19:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

All 3 cars are used on a daily basis by me, wife and dad. No plans of getting a driver in the near future.
Mobilio serves the needs when 6 people need to travel. City was my FIL's gift to my wife for getting gold medal in her MBBS. 2008 New Honda City - Anniversary edition, Not the All New Honda City. Mobilio will be replaced at a later date but not for now. If you notice, all 3 are beater cars. Of course all 3 are well maintained as I might just take them out of town at the drop of a hat. (I am a Joint replacement surgeon and get calls from friends to help them out in a difficult case). Another thing I would add is that all the cars are completely stock except for the doctor's symbol and some parking stickers on the windshield. I somehow never go for any accessories after purchase.
My reasoning was if I'm going to spend 14 lakhs on a Polo GTI, Jazz CVT at 13 lakhs or even alto K10 at 6.5 lakhs or close to 20 lakhs on any sedan, I may as well buy something premium, esp as I don't like to sell my cars unless they start giving trouble. Figo I sold at 90k kms due to rusting in the roof and service charges crossing 50k. Fusion sold at 160k kms when service started costing 80-90k. And Fiesta at 180k kms again due to rising service costs and wish to get out of the Ford family. Alto currently costs about 40k, city about 60k and mobilio about 50k in maintenance. But the day one of the cars is in service is a day of chaos for me.
I'm also in no hurry to purchase a new car, just that I'd like to own a premium car without compromising on my lifestyle. I'm happy to wait until one of my current cars starts becoming too expensive to maintain. So more a heart decision.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 20:29   #30
BHPian

From your posts one thing that I understood is that you love Mini Cooper.If yes, don't think twice. Just go get it and enjoy. Buying the car you love is the right way to go.
Lambydude is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks