Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2019, 21:25   #31

Re: Small luxury car: Mercedes B-Class or Mini Cooper?

Luxury Hatchbacks are quite desirable and I appreciate your thought on wanting to upgrade to one. My suggestion would be to pick an A-Class or a Mini Countryman. Both cars have character which is what I am sure you desire with this upgrade. I would recommend to buy it new with extended warranty so that you can have your cake and eat it too. You get some great discounts on unsold stock.

Off topic - I am waiting for the Jeep Renegade. Fits my similar requirement to own a compact yet go anywhere and somewhat chic vehicle
Old 24th June 2019, 12:32   #32
BHPian

Congratulations on holding up for so long before upgrading, it would be really difficult for me not to give into the temptation.

Since you mentioned that you are considering the B as an option, I would suggest you look into the BMW X1. I feel it perfectly fits the bill.

1) Small/ Looks small - Yes
2) AT - Yes
3) Petrol/ Diesel - Yes 20i/20d
4) Luxury segment - Yes
5) decent tourer - Yes

If possible, go in for the M-Sport variant as you'll get bigger alloys, a bigger infotainment screen and head-up display.

Another thing and this may not be a factor for most people but, the X1 will not depreciate as badly as the B-Class. I have a friend who owned a B and was looking to sell it after 4 years of minimal usage (just 16000 kms) and with great difficulty he sold it for around 35% of the price it was purchased.

Looking forward to seeing what decision you'll make. All the best!
Old 24th June 2019, 20:39   #33
BHPian

Hi Wildsdi5530

Congrats on your success !

You seem to be in a similar predicament I was in 9 years ago. I stuck to my Alto for 13 years. I retained it even when I bought my Volvo. However, I sold it later after my wife started driving it and replaced it with something safer and easier to drive (that turned out to be the Polo GT). Till then it was my beater car. Fortunately for me, I had much less choices then. Now between the 20 to 50 lakh bracket, you are absolutely spoilt for choice.

Considering the size restriction, my suggestions:

1. XC 40
Please allow me to be totally biased here, but as GTO and V.Narayan suggested, it fits your needs perfectly. And its safety features are unparalleled in its class.

2. BMW X1
The newer models are really good looking and well proportioned. I often mistake them for an X3 from afar when viewed from behind.

3. Jeep Compass
I really love it. All that was missing was full off road capability. But that has been addressed with the TrailHawk version. Interior space is the only issue. If you are a family of 4, I guess that shouldn't be a problem.

If you can wait for the newer versions;

4. Audi Q3 (expected to be more tech loaded )
5. Hyundai Tucson ( if badge is not an issue )

Anyway, this is a delightful predicament to be in. So enjoy and Happy Hunting

Last edited by psispace : 24th June 2019 at 20:46.
psispace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 15:05   #34
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for an EV. May be Hyundai Kona if you are in a hurry. Not only they are quick, I am sure they would also be silent and future proof. Higher end Hyundais aren’t too bad in terms of feel good factor either.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 28th June 2019 at 15:11.
Old 28th June 2019, 19:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Incidentally I also looked at the Volvo S60 Cross country when I checked out the V40, But It didn't fulfill any of my criteria. Great car though.
I've decided to wait for the next generation of cars, hoping that an unassuming hatchback will slip through.
Meanwhile I'll also look for a used B-class.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 20:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions.
Incidentally I also looked at the Volvo S60 Cross country when I checked out the V40, But It didn't fulfill any of my criteria. Great car though.
I've decided to wait for the next generation of cars, hoping that an unassuming hatchback will slip through.
Meanwhile I'll also look for a used B-class.
Since you mentioned a used B-Class, I felt I should share this with you:

I was briefly in the market for a 10-15L used car and a dealer showed me a petrol B-Class. I really liked it, but we decided to postpone the plan. That car was sold soon after, but I see it every few weeks at the mechanic for some or the other issue. Once it had its entire dashboard ripped out. I'm sure that all Euro cars carry this risk, and maybe this one was just a lemon, but I would strongly recommend getting the car checked by Merc before you go ahead with the purchase.

I don't intend to dissuade you at all, just thought you should know.
Old 29th June 2019, 19:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
I would strongly recommend getting the car checked by Merc before you go ahead with the purchase.
Of course I will pick up a Mercedes certified B-class only within warranty period. Am in no hurry.
Old 27th November 2019, 17:18   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I ve also been on this same journey over the last 1.5 years - mostly thinking and planning.
It is only now in the last few days that I have swung into action.
Ive just concluded and executed the onward sale of my trusty 8 year old Yeti.
Ive decided on a well maintained used Mini Cooper S over anything else in the market because this is the only vehicle that meets my specific needs/ wants at this moment.
I ve paid a sizeable portion of the negotiated price and am now awaiting the paperwork to be done.
Hopefully I should be able to have the vehicle in my hands in a few days.
Looking forward!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed