Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2019, 08:50   #1

BMW X1 vs Audi Q3? Plus some more advice needed

Good morning everyone!

Great to be part of the forum.

I am planning to buy a luxury car. My current shortlist is BMW X1 (sDrive 20d xLine) and Audi Q3 (Premium Plus).

Currently I own a Maruti Baleno, Hyundai i10 and Maruti 800.

I was hoping I would get some advice regarding the following points here.

1. Fuel: Most luxury cars seem to have Diesel as the preferred variant. With the current scenario is Petrol a better option?

2. Buyback experience: How is the experience of members? Do they exaggerate minor issues at the time of buyback and try to reduce the value?

3. Dealer Discount: I think (may be wrong) the dealers in Delhi or Mumbai with high volumes will give better discounts. How feasible is it to buy from them and register in my home state?

Thanks in advance!
drfiroz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 21:05   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW X1 vs Audi Q3? Plus some more advice needed

No contest, pal. Go for the BMW X1. It's a terrific all-rounder and BMW's reliability is top class. I loved the Q3 when it was launched, but it's way too old now. If you can wait however, the next-gen Q3 isn't too far away - link (Next-gen Audi Q3 spotted testing).

If you're okay with a humbler brand, take a spin in the Skoda Kodiaq. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfiroz View Post
Fuel: Most luxury cars seem to have Diesel as the preferred variant. With the current scenario is Petrol a better option?
Really depends. I prefer turbo-diesels in European cars as they're torquey, usually more robust & offer excellent tank range. However, the new turbo-petrols are sweet too. All down to your personal preferences.

Quote:
Buyback experience: How is the experience of members? Do they exaggerate minor issues at the time of buyback and try to reduce the value?
Sell your car yourself if you have the time.

Buyback schemes are only for those who value convenience and not the best deal.

Quote:
Dealer Discount
You are buying a 35 lakh car in a terrible market. Translated, you are the king. Be sure to bargain hard. Cross-shop and pit dealers against each other. You'll get lakhs blown off the asking price.

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2019 at 21:07.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 21:17   #3

Thanks GTO for the reply.

Diesel is my preference too.

I am OK with the buyback as there is an option to opt out too. What I am more concerned is whether they try to create any hassles during the process of buyback.

I am planning to take extended warranty and BSI plus package.

Any other specific suggestions during negotiations and buying will be welcome.
drfiroz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 22:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Welcome to the family.

Quote:
1. Fuel: Most luxury cars seem to have Diesel as the preferred variant. With the current scenario is Petrol a better option?
Diesel is better if you are concerned about resale and running costs. However, I have no experience with 20i so 20d will be a safe bet.

Quote:
2. Buyback experience: How is the experience of members? Do they exaggerate minor issues at the time of buyback and try to reduce the value?
From whatever I have heard (No personal experience yet) they honour unless there is a major accident. However, you will mostly get higher prices in the market.

Quote:
3. Dealer Discount: I think (may be wrong) the dealers in Delhi or Mumbai with high volumes will give better discounts. How feasible is it to buy from them and register in my home state?
Yes, even places like Chandigarh/ Gurgaon can be considered. We have always bought the cars from the North and sent on a truck to Kolkatta for our offices in the East.

Quote:

Any other specific suggestions during negotiations and buying will be welcome.
Till last year, X20d - was available around 30-33 lac depending on the variants after the discounts if I am not mistaken. Do check some threads here and perhaps ask members. At 45 lac ex-showroom for M Sports, I will not even look at this car.

My suggestions, do check the new 3 series. It's a brand new car and BMW should launch competitively with a lot of options as standard. Mostly, these have a good ground clearance if that's a concern. If you must buy a higher vehicle like X1, do consider pre-owned. You can save substantially. Nothing to worry on vehicles with the warranty as most owners take good care of such cars.

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th August 2019 at 22:20.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 06:59   #5

Thanks Turbanator!

Great advice. That's why the forum rocks.

Anyways, will check with the out of state dealers.

As for pre owned, not too many options in my state and I don't have much idea about the hassles of buying a pre owned car from out of state.
Old 20th August 2019, 07:08   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am planning to buy a luxury car. My current shortlist is BMW X1 (sDrive 20d xLine) and Audi Q3 (Premium Plus).
Welcome to the forum!

X1 without a doubt. The Q3 is way too old, and the new generation is already out in the international market (not sure when it is getting to India).
I believe a facelift is due on the X1; either wait for that or bargain hard on the current model.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 07:38   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

X1 without a doubt. However I have been wondering these days if buying an X1 makes sense these days? Yes it drives beautifully but cars costing almost 60% of its price, like the upcoming Seltos and Hector, have started offering so much equipment, that they start to put these germans to shame. You do lose a bit on the driving fun ( which anyways is quite limited in the jam packed roads in our cities) but on the other hand you gain a lot more features. Also in NCR region, the slightest of rains leads to water logging and you stay on the edge driving a BMW dreading the moment a warning for hydrostatic lock pops up. No such issue with a Seltos or hector.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 09:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the X1 (20d) and Q3 (150BHP FWD and 180BHP Quattro) for a friend.

Here are quick notes:
Overall:
- Diesel clatter is just too much for me to be able to call these "premium".
- FWD BMW and FWD Audi - both are laughable. Quite pointless really.

X1 (20d):
- Less engine clatter and vibration in the cabin (compared to Q3). My 330i is way more silky smooth and nice sounding.
- Engine pulls nicely, though may run out of steam near top end which can never be checked in a test drive
- Aisin 8 speed is smooth and fast shifting - pleasant surprise. Felt just as good as the ZF8 in my 330i.
- Steering feels better than my 330i at low speeds :-) No vagueness or play around the center position
- Torque steer, torque steer, torque steer! Clearly a downside of FWD. This is where 330i rocks being RWD. Surprisingly, the GTI also does not torque steer in spite of being FWD (brilliant job by VW).
- Cabin is spacious, reclining and sliding rear seats, pano sunroof, huge boot. Way ahead of the Q3
- Ride is bit too bouncy and unsettled.

Q3 (150BHP, FWD):
- Noisy and sluggish engine, even the brilliant DSG can't do much with this engine
- Feather light vague steering
- Absolutely pointless car

Q3 (180BHP, Quattro):
- Engine pulls better than the 150BHP version but only marginally
- Engine sound isn't nice, feels strained
- Extremely small cabin, upright rear seats, no sliding or reclining option
- Light and vague steering (may be marginally better than the FWD version)
- Pointless car, again!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 20th August 2019 at 09:51.
anandpadhye is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 10:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Test drove the X1 (20d) and Q3 (150BHP FWD and 180BHP Quattro) for a friend.
Anand,

You've demolished quite a few myths about these 'premium' crossovers/mini-SUVs. When you have the time, find another friend and drive the Skoda (Kodiaq) VW (Tiguan) & Mercedes (GLC?) equivalents too back-to-back?

With your current stable of a 330i & GTI, it'll be a worthy practical comparison .

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th August 2019 at 10:30.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 12:28   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Anand,

You've demolished quite a few myths about these 'premium' crossovers/mini-SUVs. When you have the time, find another friend and drive the Skoda (Kodiaq) VW (Tiguan) & Mercedes (GLC?) equivalents too back-to-back?
I am telling this friend of mine to stop wasting time on these so called premium cars (which only have "premium" price-tag) and head to Skoda and get the Octavia or Superb 1.8 TSI, which are actually "premium" cars and super fun to drive with silky smooth TSI motor and equally smooth and fast shifting DSG.

What an irony that Skoda is the one selling the lusty Audi engines while Audi is busy fitting mediocre engines in their own cars in India!

"Skoda hai to mumkin hai"

Last edited by anandpadhye : 20th August 2019 at 12:32.
anandpadhye is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 15:19   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am telling this friend of mine to stop wasting time on these so called premium cars (which only have "premium" price-tag) and head to Skoda and get the Octavia or Superb 1.8 TSI, which are actually "premium" cars and super fun to drive with silky smooth TSI motor and equally smooth and fast shifting DSG.
[/i]
You're really putting existing and contented Octavia / Jetta owners like me (who are potential upgraders) in a quandary.

This now leaves only the new 320D (borderline), old/new 330i, X3, 5 Series as the only true sporty upgrades worth going for.

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th August 2019 at 15:29.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 16:11   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

This now leaves only the new 320D (borderline), old/new 330i, X3, 5 Series as the only true sporty upgrades worth going for.
True. Existing Octavia Superb owners really don't have much choice when it comes to worthy upgrades. 320d won't be an upgrade at all. 330i yes but only if one really enjoys long drives, fast cornering and ghats For regular usage, Octavia Superb actually offer more!

You should look for something really special (e.g. the new Jeep Wrangler 2L turbo-petrol). 5, X5 - yes but only with an I6 (to qualify as a remarkable upgrade over Octavia).

Such is the gem - the Octavia

Last edited by anandpadhye : 20th August 2019 at 16:12.
anandpadhye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 08:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You should look for something really special (e.g. the new Jeep Wrangler 2L turbo-petrol). 5, X5 - yes but only with an I6 (to qualify as a remarkable upgrade over Octavia).

Such is the gem - the Octavia
Throw in the rumoured CBU Octavia RS245 into the equation too. But is it something I will enjoy for the next 5 years without thinking of the 5?

Difficult question for a 45 year old family man
Old 21st August 2019, 10:08   #14
RWD
BHPian

Turbo-petrols are also fuel sensitive. If you are going to be touring long distance, or if the fuel quality in and around your place is suspect, then diesel is the way to go. Better resale as well.

Between X1 and Q3, X1 is superior in almost every way. Looks bigger and proper shaped as well, unlike Q3 which does look a bit hatchback/coupe-ish. But, that is just my opinion.
RWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 10:50   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD View Post
Turbo-petrols are also fuel sensitive. If you are going to be touring long distance, or if the fuel quality in and around your place is suspect, then diesel is the way to go. Better resale as well.
I drive cross country. Laura TSI has been Bhopal, Pondicherry, Goa, etc. apart from countless kokan trips. I have refueled all across interiors of MH, MP, KA, AP, TN...there is hardly any way for me to pre-check the repute of the petrol pump or to get Speed97 in those places. Just regular petrol at regular pumps. Car was with me for 9 years, never missed a beat. The GT TSI also had been to all sorts of places over the 4 years, 45000km that she covered. GTI also gets regular petrol because the places I take her to are pretty remote and rural. Same is happening with 330i. No issues so far.
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks