Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2019, 09:13   #1
BHPian

Need help with finalising a replacement for my BMW 320d - Budget is 40 lakhs, ex-showroom

Hey guys

My current lease car is a 320D Sportline (F30). It's due for change next month and I'm torn between the choices I have and need some help to finalize.

Criteria
1. Since the 320D has been a driver's car, there is a lot of pressure in the family to go for a car with backseat comfort (which wasn't the case with 320D)

2. Since it's going to be maintained by the company, I'm not worried about maintenance costs.

3. Since it's going to be a lease car, it has to be a new car and my budget is a max of 40 lakhs ex-showroom.

4. I'm a little brand conscious - hence brands like Ford, Toyota, Honda, Mahindra are a no. Purely a personal preference and no hard feelings to the owners of these cars please.

5. I have no preference - I'm open to SUV, sedans, hatch, crossovers

6. I drive 50 kms a day in Bangalore traffic. So I prefer a nimble car.

7. I also do a lot of long drives with family and hence need something that also comes with a decent boot space and handling capabilities for highway driving.

The problem is that all the cars I like are all slightly over my budget or they are not cars with backseat comfort. Some of the cars on my mind are

A) Merc C 300 D AMG line - test drove this and fell in love with it. However Bangalore dealers aren't offering any good discount and so, it's a good 4-5 lakhs beyond my budget.

B) Discovery sport - I haven't test driven this yet, but I like the novelty value that a Land Rover brings. I think this is the only car from the LR stable that fits my budget.

C) Mini Cooper S Countryman JCW trim - Test drove this. My family loved the car, but as a driving enthusiast, I would anyway prefer the 3 door JCW (238 BHP). Countryman somehow feels too bulging for Bangalore traffic and I doubt if it can be nimble.

D) Volvo XC 60 - I have heard from a friend that it's a great car. But it's beyond my budget. I don't know if XC 40 has the same presence. I don't like the looks of XC 40 much. What about S60 polestar? Do they still manufacture it? Haven't checked the prices either.

E) BMW 330i GT - love it, but because it's a BS VI engine; there are no discounts offered and hence it's beyond my budget.

F) Skoda Superb - I think it's definitely value for money but for my daily usage, it's a little too long for the traffic. I sometimes take small roads for shortcut and the length of this car could be a problem. But this is a smaller problem that I can live with.

So, this is the story. Let me know if I have missed any obvious option.

PS: BMW is offering huge discounts on X1 but personally I think the X1 neither has the DNA of a BMW nor are the backseats comfortable. So, X1 always has been out of my list. Also, forgive me if I have hurt anyone's sentiments by ruling out certain brands and models .
reachanoop is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 10:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Need help with finalising a replacement for my BMW 320d - Budget is 40 lakhs, ex-showroom

Thats a very narrow band of choices, my cousin had a similar dilemma but company policy was no SUV's, he ended up buying a CLA for a 4 hour chauffeured daily commute (it was a Mercedes, that's why!).

As back seat is a key requirement, I would suggest/comment on the following the following

BMW 3GT - yes it is an outgoing model but stocks still exist, you could try the unregistered demo route (get rid of the virgin only mentality, I know friends who have bought such cars and have no regrets!). These are being discounted.

Skoda Kodiaq - Great value if it does not have the badge, may not be peppy but a good family hack for all seasons

Discovery Sport - I liked it but service may not be that great, for 40 lakhs ex showroom, you might get a barebones spec.

Audi A4 - This might meet your criteria, nice interiors , great in urban traffic, handles well but it lacks soul but they are discounted heavily

Volvo XC40- Back looks like a Venue but try it before you make a judgement. The S60 is out of production but you might get an S60 at a discount. The Cross Country will be a road buster

Volvo S 90 - I understand these are being discounted. I heard someone picked one up for 45L. A decent car but no BMW

Mercedes - you won't get much for the budget

Frankly, for 40L considering badge appeal, the options are pretty narrow unless there are big discounts. Shows how overpriced the market is!

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2019 at 17:47. Reason: Removing full quote
ajmat is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 06:49   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need help with finalising a replacement for my BMW 320d - Budget is 40 lakhs, ex-showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachanoop View Post
My current lease car is a 320D Sportline (F30). It's due for change next month and I'm torn between the choices I have and need some help to finalize.
Don't know how company leases work, but can't you pay & retain your 320d? Am sure it's in good shape. I feel terrible about giving a fantastic car away.

On the other hand, if you absolutely must upgrade:
Quote:
Merc C 300 D AMG line - test drove this and fell in love with it. However Bangalore dealers aren't offering any good discount and so, it's a good 4-5 lakhs beyond my budget.
Since you have "fallen in love with it", this is the car you should buy. When spending 40 lakhs, don't let a 10% variation in budget dissuade you from your number 1 choice. Buying a 40-lakh car is supposed to be a special experience. Thus, by all means, go ahead and buy that C300.

As you are open to the Superb, also check out the Skoda Kodiaq. It's one heck of a car.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 07:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't know how company leases work, but can't you pay & retain your 320d? Am sure it's in good shape. I feel terrible about giving a fantastic car away.
Yes, it is terrible to give away a fantastic car and I did think about it. The car is indeed in real good shape, but I lose the benefit of company maintenance. As long as I have the benefit of a company lease car, especially for the expensive cars, it makes sense to go with a new car with no hassles of maintenance. In Bangalore traffic, there is always the stress of two wheelers and autos brushing the car and paying for fixing every of those scratches can be very expensive. Hence, I don't want to own a car at the cost of my expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On the other hand, if you absolutely must upgrade:

Since you have "fallen in love with it", this is the car you should buy. When spending 40 lakhs, don't let a 10% variation in budget dissuade you from your number 1 choice. Buying a 40-lakh car is supposed to be a special experience. Thus, by all means, go ahead and buy that C300.

As you are open to the Superb, also check out the Skoda Kodiaq. It's one heck of a car.
The problem is - by rule, even if I want to, I can't pay the 10% difference if it's a lease car. I can only purchase a car that comes in the 40L ex-showroom bracket.

I'll check out the Kodiaq. I like the looks but from the sheer numbers, I am concerned that it could be a little under-powered. Will test drive.

Thanks for the inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Thats a very narrow band of choices, my cousin had a similar dilemma but company policy was no SUV's, he ended up buying a CLA for a 4 hour chauffeured daily commute (it was a Mercedes, that's why!).

As back seat is a key requirement, I would suggest/comment on the following the following

BMW 3GT - yes it is an outgoing model but stocks still exist, you could try the unregistered demo route (get rid of the virgin only mentality, I know friends who have bought such cars and have no regrets!). These are being discounted.

Skoda Kodiaq - Great value if it does not have the badge, may not be peppy but a good family hack for all seasons

Discovery Sport - I liked it but service may not be that great, for 40 lakhs ex showroom, you might get a barebones spec.

Audi A4 - This might meet your criteria, nice interiors , great in urban traffic, handles well but it lacks soul but they are discounted heavily

Volvo XC40- Back looks like a Venue but try it before you make a judgement. The S60 is out of production but you might get an S60 at a discount. The Cross Country will be a road buster

Volvo S 90 - I understand these are being discounted. I heard someone picked one up for 45L. A decent car but no BMW

Mercedes - you won't get much for the budget

Frankly, for 40L considering badge appeal, the options are pretty narrow unless there are big discounts. Shows how overpriced the market is!

Thank you Ajmat. Will try to find old models of 3GT in stock. Will also test drive the Kodiaq and Audi A4.

You said it - the market is indeed overpriced. I'm surprised that despite slowdown in all sectors including the automotive sector, the manufacturers are not doing enough to sell. 3 years ago, I had a lot of choices in the 40L ex-sh bracket, but this time I see there's hardly anything :(

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd September 2019 at 07:48. Reason: Back to back posts.
reachanoop is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 09:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help with finalising a replacement for my BMW 320d - Budget is 40 lakhs, ex-showroom

Quote:

So, this is the story. Let me know if I have missed any obvious option.
Are you open to retain the 320d? If yes, and assuming you have space for another car, why not keep the BMW and pick up an Innova 2.8Z ? Its a good family car, you can be chauffeured in it and at the same time you'll always have the 320d for yourself ('Me trips').

Sadly, for 40L, you won't end up with a whole lot of choice which will satisfy both the enthusiast in you + the backseat options.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 09:47   #6
BHPian

Why not go for the latest gen 3 series?
Through reviews I have learnt that it's much grown up in size and offers better backseat experience. May be you can test drive it once to see if it meets all your requirements.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 10:02   #7
BHPian

Why not a Skoda Octavia RS?
It may tick most of your requirements.
Only negative though is the low ground clearance specially in Bangalore.
tejas2323 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 10:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Are you open to retain the 320d? If yes, and assuming you have space for another car, why not keep the BMW and pick up an Innova 2.8Z ? Its a good family car, you can be chauffeured in it and at the same time you'll always have the 320d for yourself ('Me trips').
However much I would like to retain, it’s not practical since I lose out on the company maintenance. Innova is indeed a good choice.

For now, I have been offered a good discount on the A6, which for me looks like a perfect combination of driving pleasure and backseat comfort . Hoping to close this deal.
reachanoop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 10:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore RTO does not let the dealer discount the ex showroom value. Any discounts now must be on the on road value.

The only cars of your interest amongst the big names available under 40 lakhs ex showroom Bangalore now are the C 200 prime and the XC40 Momentum at 39.90 lakhs ,the BMW 320d starts at 41.xx and so does the base Audi A4.

Maybe your company needs to relook at the lease option maximum eligibility to ensure that they keep pace with the increase in prices.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 13:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys

5. I have no preference - I'm open to SUV, sedans, hatch, crossovers

6. I drive 50 kms a day in Bangalore traffic. So I prefer a nimble car.

7. I also do a lot of long drives with family and hence need something that also comes with a decent boot space and handling capabilities for highway driving.

Hi reachanoop. Looking at requirements, the most suited car I feel would be the Kodiaq. Reasons being,
  1. The driving position and height is a good balance between an SUV and a Car, which will really help you in city driving.
  2. It's got the best back seat than many cars in segments much higher up and plenty of leg support and leg space. Your family will love this. It's got an additional 3rd row which is more suited for Kids for short drives.
  3. It's definitely not underpowered. I drive an XC60 and I thought there was negligible difference between the two. There is adequate usable power. I recently did a 170km drive from Mysore to Kerala on a winding ghat road and the Kodiaq was a gem. Body roll was well contained and much better than the taller boys around.
Old 8th September 2019, 14:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas2323 View Post
Why not a Skoda Octavia RS?
It may tick most of your requirements.
Only negative though is the low ground clearance specially in Bangalore.
Because Octavia RS is not available in India right now.
Lambydude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 14:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Because Octavia RS is not available in India right now.
Sorry! I forgot the same. But in news that it could just be back on sale in India. And the version headed here could be the even more powerful RS245.
Old 8th September 2019, 16:13   #13
BHPian

I think you should go ahead with the Skoda Superb as it pretty much satisfies all your needs. It's a spacious car with a powerful motor and has excellent build quality too. The only fly in the ointment is Skoda's poor after sales support.
Old 8th September 2019, 19:53   #14
BHPian

I know the VW Passat isn’t doing great sales - in fact, didn’t sell a single unit in the month of July, I think - but isn’t it a great VFM car? Even the top of the line trim will easily fit into your budget, leaving you with plenty of change, and it offers good back seat comfort too (second only to the Superb in terms of space, I believe), given that it’s a proper D2 sedan. It houses the same internals as the Superb but in a tauter body, and when you throw in DCC in the mix, it makes for a compelling alternative to the Superb, which you find a bit too long for self drive. It has a large boot and also carries all the bells and whistles you can expect in this price range.

You should definitely check out the Passat, and this is coming from a satisfied Superb owner... unless, the car has been discontinued in our market for any reason, of course.

Last edited by gk1234 : 8th September 2019 at 20:02.
gk1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 21:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
However much I would like to retain, it’s not practical since I lose out on the company maintenance. Innova is indeed a good choice.

For now, I have been offered a good discount on the A6, which for me looks like a perfect combination of driving pleasure and backseat comfort . Hoping to close this deal.
I will suggest the following options in the said preferences if 'Back Seat Comfort', 'Boot Space' and 'Features' are your priority:
1. If you are getting a well equipped variant of A6 within your budget then it is the one.
2. Skoda Superb: for back seat comfort, decent driving pleasure, good features, good boot space
3. Discovery Sport - if you can get a well equipped variant within your budget which seems very unlikely, but if you can get it, this should be the first choice.

Most Viewed