Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2019, 21:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help with finalising a replacement for my BMW 320d - Budget is 40 lakhs, ex-showroom

At that budget, it is hard to look beyond the Superb, Passat or Innova. If you want reliability, another option is the Hyundai Sonata, though the brand might be a concern for you :( You will get deals in the next few months thanks to the crashing car sales market and the upcoming BS-VI cars, so keep your eyes open for the more expensive cars being offered, even if they are end of life-cycle deals.

Very few of the SUV's in that budget are comfortable or spacious enough to suit your needs.
Old 8th September 2019, 22:12   #17
BHPian

Re: Need help with finalising a replacement for my BMW 320d - Budget is 40 lakhs, ex-showroom

Thank you. Agree with your choices. Superb and Kodiaq are my next bets if the A6 doesn’t happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
I will suggest the following options in the said preferences if 'Back Seat Comfort', 'Boot Space' and 'Features' are your priority:
1. If you are getting a well equipped variant of A6 within your budget then it is the one.
2. Skoda Superb: for back seat comfort, decent driving pleasure, good features, good boot space
3. Discovery Sport - if you can get a well equipped variant within your budget which seems very unlikely, but if you can get it, this should be the first choice.
Old 8th September 2019, 22:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to check out the VW Tiguan. It's basically the same car as the Kodiaq under the skin plus you will be able to get it for less than 40 lakhs OTR. Regarding the C300d, it's almost 50 lakhs ex showroom Bangalore and 62 lakhs OTR so seems way out of your budget.

If like you mentioned, you can live a full length sedan, why not check out the new Camry hybrid. It has a super backseat plus great fuel economy being a hybrid not to mention the Toyota peace of mind. Just my 2 cents.
ram87pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 23:11   #19
BHPian

Hi, reachanoop. We replaced our 2013 E84 X1 20d xLine (181 bhp) with a Kodiaq L&K around 4 months back.

Dad and I had similar worries about the power delivery after looking at the numbers and during the initial 1000 km or so.

We realised this was just because we were babying it through the initial running in. The DSG is really quick to respond and makes for sprightly performance in the city to cover gaps and even leave the traffic behind at the lights. I won't go on to say that the exhilaration is the same as the BMW 2L but it's certainly no slouch. Do note that its softer sprung and biased towards comfort so not as nimble as the BMWs, but handles like a car and not an SUV.

We haven't been able to find any ergonomic faults with the car (Attention to detail is spectacular) and I can confirm that there are genuinely no gimmicks when it comes to the features (The feature list is very long). For eg. The 360 deg camera is of good resolution and genuinely helps out in tricky situations. Great seat comfort up front and the 2nd row is easily the best among the SUVs in the segment.

The XC40 was our favourite but the Inscription was out of our budget, going past 50L and no discounts whatsoever at the time. The Passat is a really good option too and has a better engine tune but we dropped the idea of a sedan considering the recent state of the roads in Mumbai. Bangalore isn't any better as I've noticed.

I'm curious, why not a 3GT 20d? Looking for a different powertrain I'm guessing?
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 23:14   #20
BHPian

I would suggest you to have a look at the new Camry, it drives and rides much better than the earlier one, very spacious and comfortable for passengers too. And it carries the real no compromise Toyota build since it's sold in North America and Europe unlike the Fortuner and Innova which is built on pick up truck platforms popular in South East Asian countries.
Old 9th September 2019, 09:35   #21
BHPian

I, too, am looking to get a car in a similar price range. I am looking closely at the X1 xline. Does petrol vs diesel matter (my usual monthly distance is around 500km). Also, does the M-sport come with upgraded brakes?
Old 9th September 2019, 10:54   #22
BHPian

I would suggest a SUV considering general road conditions in Bangalore. Compass Trailhawk is unique offering with great brand value. It is great on road and off road too. It rides well with host of features and AT. Suggest to take a test ride along with all other options you are considering.
Old 9th September 2019, 12:11   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk1234 View Post
You should definitely check out the Passat, and this is coming from a satisfied Superb owner... unless, the car has been discontinued in our market for any reason, of course.
Only a few stray vehicles are available in IN, rest all sold out. Fresh (face-lifted) stocks expected only year-end I believe.
Old 9th September 2019, 13:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
I, too, am looking to get a car in a similar price range. I am looking closely at the X1 xline. Does petrol vs diesel matter (my usual monthly distance is around 500km). Also, does the M-sport come with upgraded brakes?

In 500kms of running you could got for either petrol or diesel, it wont make much of a difference on your pocket.
Petrol: 500kms/8kmpl = 62.5 litr. 62.5ltr x 74rs = Rs 4630
Diesel: 500kms/11kmpl(city mileage) = 46ltr. Now 46ltr x 67rs = Rs 3082.

As you can see there's not much difference in running cost.

But 5-7 years down the line, the difference in resale value would be atleast 5-8 lacs. This is due to fact that Germans are expensive to maintain and on the top of that Petrols guzzle more fuel too. In your case i have taken the 500kms as mostly city commute. But in resale market, the fuel efficiency of the very same diesel engine is claimed at 15+ kmpl due to it's highway frugality.
It's a known fact that luxury petrol vehicles don't command much resale value.
So consider the marginally high diesel powered car's on road price as an investment and go for it.
Old 9th September 2019, 13:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Since you have "fallen in love with it", this is the car you should buy. When spending 40 lakhs, don't let a 10% variation in budget dissuade you from your number 1 choice. Buying a 40-lakh car is supposed to be a special experience. Thus, by all means, go ahead and buy that C300.

As you are open to the Superb, also check out the Skoda Kodiaq. It's one heck of a car.
Errr C300D is 63Lacs here in Bangalore . C220D as I have heard has some discounts, making C300D costlier by almost 7-8lacs. That's quite some money for a 4-pot motor.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 15:05   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, the C300D is by no way a car that is comfortable for the rear seat occupants - especially if you are upgrading from the softly sprung F30.
My 328i with 18" had a better backseat experience than our C220d in the city, and even though the C300D gets an adaptive suspension but with the low profile 18" wheels, I doubt it will be as comfortable as the F30 320D in the city.
That being said - it is the most fun out of all the options listed.

That being said, I'd urge you to consider the following vehicles too : new G20 3 series, the heavily discounted Audi A6 (I believe it will just fit within budget, and though not a great driver - it is immensely stable, comfortable, and luxurious - the steering feel is quite numb, but the rest of the car drives brilliantly thanks to the air suspension), and also the 530i (I heard there were some amazing deals of 10L plus discounts if you negotiate right).

Heck, the A6 may just fall into the 40L Ex-showroom bracket post discounts if the messages the dealers are floating are right. With the lease you aren't worried about maintenance or resale which is a big big benefit for you; and it is a class above the existing F30 & even the C300D.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 15:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Would lexus be an option that could be considered ?
Old 9th September 2019, 16:35   #28

You can also check Audi Q3 since you'll be test driving the A6 as well. Considering the state of our roads, an SUV will give you the peace of mind that a sedan can't.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:47   #29
BHPian

With a budget of Rs. 40L you'd expect not to be hard pressed for choice but sigh - such is life. There you have it - Skodiaq is the only practical, 'gotta live with it every day' choice! That's what I'd buy if I were in your shoes.
Old 29th September 2019, 21:48   #30
BHPian

I have been in the market recently looking for a car in a similar budget more or less. If you just want a badge and don't mind compromising on the drive the Audi A4 ticks all the boxes. The diesel Technology pack was costing me 48 Lakhs On-Road. The car has extremely heavy discounts and it may have increased further now as I was looking around in February, 2019. Also, you may try out the Jaguar XE, the company had ample stocks in hand and might for you budget as well and damn that thing is absolutely crazy to drive but again the back seat comfort is nothing extravagantly great but then again it's better than the 3er.

Though if you don't mind a Volkswagen then I would highly recommend you to try out the Tiguan & Passat. Both are absolutely lovely vehicles!
Nice to drive, good back seats and a lovely equipment list especially the Passat looks absolutely smashing at night. Else, another option you can opt for is Skoda Kodiaq.

The rest all the other vehicles would feel like a compromise hence wouldn't recommend you going on for a base variant of anyone.

Last edited by YashD : 29th September 2019 at 21:50.

Most Viewed