Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2020, 00:51   #46
BHPian

Re: Looking at buying a BMW X1 - Need advice

Any ideas about discounts being offered on the petrol BS6 X1 considering the total shutdown of the last 2 months and uncertainty going forward from here? I know none are being openly advertised, but dealers might be silently pushing as much as they can to get the sales wheels in motion again. In just one showroom visit, I was offered 2.5L discount in addition to 5 year warranty + 5 year BSI, but I coolly walked out knowing (& letting them know) that I'm still interested (& not just window shopping) but they'll have to do much better.

PS: My enquiry was for the sport X variant. I'd like to know for both versions - sport X & X line

Last edited by Zen2001 : 3rd June 2020 at 00:53.
Old 15th June 2020, 08:23   #47
BHPian

I completely agree. X1 is a rip-off. Neither the driving DNA of a BMW, nor the comfort. The rear seats look like straight out of a toy car. Sorry for sounding harsh, but X1 is a fleecer and it hurts to see so many wasting their hard earned money on this car, just for the badge. Definitely not worth the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Coming back to just the X1, what was unacceptable to me was the seats. Unbelievable they decided to put in such worthless seats and dirty rod for shifter on a car which is supposed to at least trickle with luxury, it ain't cheap!, the rear seats have their own story.

Everyone has their own purpose in a buy, mine was if it was that much money, it need to look good, drive good, be spacious and comfortable.
It sure lost only in the comfort, but that was important. I even chanced upon a 4k run car at 13L discount, but it did not make sense to me. 3 series is an actual car you need to consider and if it is in X series luxury starts at X3, anything else is cheating yourself.
reachanoop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 16:56   #48

I'm curious as to what you ended up finally selecting, and why? I guess you were torn between some pretty good choices, and your research further expanded your options. Did you finally settle on the X1?
Old 30th June 2020, 11:27   #49

Hi Dash,
Sounds like you negotiated a great deal! Can you share more info, please? I'd be interested in learning how you managed that kind of a discount, and in meeting with your POC at the dealership, here in Mumbai.
Thanks!
Old 16th July 2020, 10:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.milapsan View Post
I'm curious as to what you ended up finally selecting, and why? I guess you were torn between some pretty good choices, and your research further expanded your options. Did you finally settle on the X1?
Since I was no no hurry, also thoroughly researched and TD the Karoq, Compass, Seltos (DCT & IVT) & Creta.
Karoq and Compass, though better "built" are unjustifiably overpriced and missing some features offered in Seltos/Verna. The Karoq's virtual cockpit is amazing though, and it's DSG is much more responsive than that of the Compass.
But at half the price of an X1 (dealer had come down to 41LOTR in June end), the Korean twins offer probably 80% of the engine/transmission characteristics, 90% of comfort/convenience features, and lower maintainence.
All this to consider in the economic background of Covid19.
However, still not gone ahead with any booking yet.
Zen2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 06:02   #51

Thank you for that update. 41 L OTR included the 5 + 5 warranty? Any way you and I could exchange pm? i.milapsan@gmail.com.
Old 19th July 2020, 20:40   #52
BHPian

Quite a few people have abashed the X1 left, right and centre. Having owned the current generation car for over 2 years now and having clocked 30k kms in it (more than happily), let me address some of the issues with it and why it still makes so much sense:

1. Driving Dynamics: Let's face it. It is no 3 series. However, comparing it to any crossovers, this side of 40L, the 190 hp and 400 nm of torque do not make you wanting for power in any band, and triple digit speeds come up so effortlessly, and before you know it you are going faster than you realise. It sure does not handle as well as a 3, and there is some noticeable body-roll, but it is still very well contained and lets you push it to its limits.

2. Practicality: The added ground clearance over its sedan counterparts is ideal for our driving conditions, (despite losing too much in the handling department) and yet the car is practical enough and not tall enough for it to be a step-up into the cabin. It is more of an estate, but for an urban use, it is perfect.

3. Ride and back seat space: Ride is on the stiffer side, and those 18" RFTs are no good, and ride could have been much better. (Also, we had a tire burst (rear-left) over a large pothole at 16k kms). I found the legroom and back seat space to be more than adequate for a car of its size and it comfortably sits 3 unlike the 3 or the C class. (Disclaimer: None of my family members are very tall or heavily built).

4. Features & Quality: It comes with Apple CarPlay, memory seats, panoramic sunroof, rear camera and parking sensors and the iDrive controller is fuss free to use. It may not come with all the bells and whistles of the bigger Xs, but it still packs in everything we need for everyday use. Also, it has enough physical buttons for us not to be distracted while driving.

5. Build quality: There is nothing to fault here, and although interiors are nowhere near the Merc standards, the quality of the materials is top notch. Nothing feels tacky.

Conclusion: If you are looking an urban crossover under 40L, you have a variety of options starting from Creta, Seltos, Compass, Harrier, Hector, Tiguan, GLA, Q3, XC40 to X1. It is undeniably the nicest to drive of the lot, comes with a reasonable amount of space and has that added badge value. Is it a value for money buy over Seltos? If driving pleasure is not that high up on your list, it probably is not, but will it make you feel special every time you step into it and floor the throttle? It certainly will. Don't go for it if you have to work your finances out and get one, but if you can get one without breaking the bank, it is the best all-rounder of the lot and will put a smile on your face every time you step in or look at it.
hridaygandhi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 21:43   #53
BHPian

Pardon me for sounding too harsh, but what has X1 got apart from that lovely engine and BMW batch.

Looks - average, Handling - nowhere near 3 series, Ride quality-average, SUV looks-no, it looks more of a estate. So can't understand going for it and ignoring 3 series if sole aim is to own a BMW.
If you want a robust SUV or crossover than there are better and cheaper options as mentioned above.
Old 19th July 2020, 22:04   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridaygandhi View Post
Quite a few people have abashed the X1 left, right and centre. Having owned the current generation car for over 2 years now and having clocked 30k kms in it (more than happily), let me address some of the issues with it and why it still makes so much sense:
Agree with all your points. Really practical car with that ground clearance, and if you ditch those RFTs for Tubeless, then you will have some good ride quality as well.
Yakuza is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 22:20   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Pardon me for sounding too harsh, but what has X1 got apart from that lovely engine and BMW batch.

Looks - average, Handling - nowhere near 3 series, Ride quality-average, SUV looks-no, it looks more of a estate. So can't understand going for it and ignoring 3 series if sole aim is to own a BMW.
If you want a robust SUV or crossover than there are better and cheaper options as mentioned above.
I agree with you. 3 series is a far better car, and in in 2016 we had almost purchased a 320d, but had to cancel due to a death in the family and that it would be inauspicious to get a new car then.

However, facing the ground clearance issue with the Honda Jazz, the car the X1 shares its garage with, we were pretty clear we wanted a crossover. Our use is a mix of highway and city, and Navsari is a town with narrow roads, so Fortuner and Endeavour do not make sense (We also like the way the X1 looks). X1 is strictly for those who are looking for an urban crossover and are not on a budget or looking for value for money. But for someone who wants an entry to the Big 3, and is not looking for a sedan, X1, does punch in a well-rounded package.

Also, one important consideration is that these cars depreciate very quickly, compared to the hugely popular Creta and Seltos. Look for an almost new pre-worshipped X1, and the price gap diminishes significantly, making it a much better VFM product.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th July 2020 at 01:15. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
hridaygandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 00:41   #56
BANNED

Quote:

Looks are subjective and the ride quality is pretty good on the 17s that come as standard on most variants. It may not click with the hardcore enthusiast but if somebody wants a car that is well engineered , drives well but doesn't find the 3 comfortable enough would go for this.
P.S. My dad bought The X1 last year and it is perfect for him, if it were me buying I would get the 3 any day of the week. As for the Seltos/Creta , there will always be a difference between mainstream and premium brands. Both in terms of the product and the experience associated with it.
It is by no means a good value if you consider features but when did BMW claim it was selling value for money cars?
agambhandari is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 15:34   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What has Ferrari got other than that lovely engine and batch? It's a rhetorical statement I hope.

Quote:
Looks - average
Highly subjective. It is certainly not an ugly car from any proportions and frankly a huge leap from the 1st generation model.

Quote:
Handling - nowhere near 3 series, Ride quality-average, SUV looks-no
What are we comparing it to? Creta/Seltos/T-roc/Compass? It is a better handler than almost all of those. Why do you want to compare it with 3 series.

Quote:
So can't understand going for it and ignoring 3 series if sole aim is to own a BMW.
I own a 320d. Try taking it through a water logged road and you will skip a couple of heartbeats. Try taking it through any of those gigantic speed breakers and again you will wish to have that extra GC. And these potholes are not rare. They are practically everywhere in Gurgaon. My 3 series scrapes even when I literally, and trust me literally, crawl over breakers and at multiple occasions try to go diagonally. Still you get that horrible friction sound telling you that the car did manage to scrape. Lastly, 3 series is a low slung sedan. My parents hate getting in and out of the 3 series. Once you get in, the seats are quite low and older people find it uncomfortable.

Hence you really cannot compare both the cars and most definitely cannot write off the X1 in favour of the 3 series. It would boil down to individual preferences.
drmohitg is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 19:57   #58
BHPian

I received this message via WhatsApp from Bavaria Motors Pune today. I had expressed my interest in buying the petrol sport X in June, but was not happy with their "discount" bringing down the piece to 42.5L OTR.

Sir Good Morning...just want to give one update.

In August 2020 On stock cars , the car which you are looking... BMW X1 20i Sport , we can close the deal on road 40/- + TCS
Price inclusive of (Ex-Showroom, Insurance , RTO (ind) , 3rd warranty & Accessories package)
Zen2001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 11:00   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Sir Good Morning...just want to give one update.

In August 2020 On stock cars , the car which you are looking... BMW X1 20i Sport , we can close the deal on road 40/- + TCS
Price inclusive of (Ex-Showroom, Insurance , RTO (ind) , 3rd warranty & Accessories package)
My SA told me to wait for sometime as currently there is hardly any discount being offered. BMW is waiting for the current pandemic to come under control and currently isn't offering much to the dealer. Whatever you are getting in form of discounts is mostly dealer level to clear stock. Apparently BMW is currently not even holding on to any significant stock since 2020 has been more of a shutdown year globally. So his advice was to wait till this year end for the offers to start coming in. For instance last December, I almost closed the deal for X1 Diesel at around 34L OTR Delhi which included a discount of close to 10L. Hence if not in hurry, then wait for few more months.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 22:56   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
For instance last December, I almost closed the deal for X1 Diesel at around 34L OTR Delhi which included a discount of close to 10L. Hence if not in hurry, then wait for few more months.
Do you think/anticipate discounts this year end considering that BMW introduced the face lift this year ? That wasn't the case last year and also due to BS6 coming in more discounts could be availed last year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks