Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 16:02   #76

Re: Looking at buying a BMW X1 - Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh1977 View Post
Hello Shushant,
I m also seriously considering the SportX petrol version of BMW X1.
The dealership in my city doesn't have petrol demo car, so I have taken test drive of diesel version.
By any chance, have you taken a test drive of both petrol and diesel and is there a marked difference between them?

Thanks & Regards.
I have driven both. As you would expect from a petrol engine, the petrol version seemed quieter and well paced. It did pack a punch, especially in the sport mode so no complaints on the power or ability to accelerate. Diesel engine is gave but higher sound and vibration when starting up. I am a newbie but did not miss anything in the petrol version - just seemed more sophisticated and quieter.

You should also consider two things - 1. petrol will be easier and cheaper to maintain over long term. Usual with Diesel engines that they need more maintenance. 2. Having said that, diesel one has higher resale value at least as of today
Old 8th December 2020, 22:52   #77

Hello Shushant,

Many thanks for your response.
I am clear that i will go for petrol because as you rightly said, diesel is expensive to maintain, particularly at BS6 due to the added complications of after treatment system having DPF, SCR etc.
I was just concerned that the petrol may be a bit sluggish at starting and as it has a different gear box than diesel (not sure), was worried about the gear shifts. But thanks for ur information, these don't seem to be an issue.

Thanks and Regards !
Old 9th December 2020, 21:56   #78

I went ahead with a BMW X1 20d X line pre- worshipped version Aug 2018 Manufactured, 6500 kms and med blue color. Riding excellent so far over the last two days. Paid 28L.

For those who can provide answers - what is the best way to maintain going forward? Should I find a mechanic via Autorounders?

Looking at buying a BMW X1 - Need advice-01e70cea19924eed840d78c761ade8b8.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 14th December 2020 at 03:47. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Sushants is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 13:44   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushants View Post
I went ahead with a BMW X1 20d X line pre- worshipped version Aug 2018 Manufactured, 6500 kms and med blue color. Riding excellent so far over the last two days. Paid 28L.
Congratulations on your purchase. Wishing you many happy kms and pleasant drives with it.
I purchased a 6k run X-line 20d via the pre-owned route in 2018.

Quote:
For those who can provide answers - what is the best way to maintain going forward? Should I find a mechanic via auto rounders?
It has a 1 year or 10k km service interval (The MID will remind you when a service is approaching). I get the car serviced at BMW ASS at scheduled intervals but do not get any parts replaced there. Based on their inspection, get the parts replaced at a reliable FNG, which has served me well, and at a fraction of the cost the ASS quotes.

In case you do not have a reliable FNG at hand, do contemplate getting the BRI packages. They are reasonably good.
hridaygandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 20:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went ahead with a BMW X1 20d X line pre- worshipped version
Congrats, may you roll in style for thousands of kilometers!

Quote:
For those who can provide answers - what is the best way to maintain going forward? Should I find a mechanic via auto rounders?
Going aftermarket will definitely be cheaper than going to BMW, but here's what I would do if I were you. I'd max out the warranty for sure, and get BSI to the extent that covers your needs. This will ensure that costs are reasonable, and the maintenance and ownership process is worry-free.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 11:33   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridaygandhi View Post
I get the car serviced at BMW ASS at scheduled intervals but do not get any parts replaced there. Based on their inspection, get the parts replaced at a reliable FNG, which has served me well, and at a fraction of the cost the ASS quotes.
Where do you source the spare parts from? Are spare parts easily available in the market for these cars? Are these original parts or copy?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 12:56   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Where do you source the spare parts from? Are spare parts easily available in the market for these cars? Are these original parts or copy?
Yes, I source BMW parts from BMW ASS. They are available over the counter. Parts like battery and tires can be sourced locally.
hridaygandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 14:28   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Congratulations on the X1. Wishing you tens of thousands of miles and smiles.

If your car is under warranty, I would suggest you take the maximum possible extended warranty (also known as BRI). The 6th year warranty is quite expensive. I would recommend taking atleast the 5 year warranty.

Also, if your usage is high (more than 15k kilometers a year), I would also recommend taking the BSI+ package. These will give you absolute peace of mind and you can enjoy the car for the next 5 years without worrying about maintenance costs.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 15:29   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on the X1. Wishing you tens of thousands of miles and smiles.

If your car is under warranty, I would suggest you take the maximum possible extended warranty (also known as BRI). The 6th year warranty is quite expensive. I would recommend taking atleast the 5 year warranty.

Also, if your usage is high (more than 15k kilometers a year), I would also recommend taking the BSI+ package. These will give you absolute peace of mind and you can enjoy the car for the next 5 years without worrying about maintenance costs.
Thanks a lot for this advice. The warranty is already expired after 2 years so that option is sadly closed. I called up the BMW folks to check about this and they denied any possible extension.

Based on service details, it seems that there was some work carried out to replace both spring struts and replace both wishbone / control arms. I tried to understand this by googling and it seems these are parts of front suspension which were replaced under warranty. Thankfully no engine repairs needed / done. Any thoughts and comments on this will be appreciated

Also - I know there are threads about trusted individual mechanics who can help with service and repair in future. I dint find specific information to the question -
- any recommended individual mechanic in Mumbai who I can trust for future.

It seems the FNG is the best option to go ahead with though I dont know which one to go to..

Thanks all for your wonderful wishes. I am definitely enjoying the drive with a broad smile )
Old 11th December 2020, 16:05   #85

Received the following quote for BSI for used cars -

Used Car portfolio is designed keeping customers in center and their requirement; Used-Car Packages are designed for older vehicles. Now any customer can avail UC packages at anytime without any Age / mileage limitation even service is showing due.

The package will start from the date of purchase of the package & the actual kms reading of the vehicle.

The following are the inclusions to the package:-
· Engine-oil change with oil filter and oil top-up.

· Service/replacement of air filter, fuel filter, micro filter, spark plugs.

· Service brake fluid.

· Service vehicle check in accordance with the BMW service booklet.

· Brake pads, front and rear.

· Brake discs, front and rear.

· Clutch (if worn).

· Windscreen wipers maximum once a year, if required

Below mentioned is the package option and its cost:-

X1
Amt( Inclusive of taxes)
BSI Plus-3yrs/40000kms
Old 11th December 2020, 16:43   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The warranty is already expired after 2 years so that option is sadly closed. I called up the BMW folks to check about this and they denied any possible extension.

Based on service details, it seems that there was some work carried out to replace both spring struts and replace both wishbone / control arms. I tried to understand this by googling and it seems these are parts of front suspension which were replaced under warranty. Thankfully no engine repairs needed / done. Any thoughts and comments on this will be appreciated

It seems the FNG is the best option to go ahead with though I dont know which one to go to..
That is bad luck. BRI cannot be extended once it expires. Now without BRI, FNG may make sense if you can find a reliable FNG. Maybe others can help you with information on FNGs in Mumbai. If you can't find a reliable FNG, I would suggest you do the regular service at BMW.

Those are suspension components that were replaced under warranty. Maybe there was some problem with the front suspensions which needed replacement. I don't see any reason to worry about this. Enjoy the car!
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 11:35   #87

Congratulations Sushant on your purchase!

I got tied up with office work and didn't pursue with my search for this beauty. I am also considering buying a used xDrive20d xLine due to these reasons
1. Even if it is cross-over, would like to get xDrive option which is not available in new model
2. I am now spoilt by diesel torque (Skoda Rapid tuned to 135 bhp) and decent mileage even with 120+ speeds on highways
3. No worries of BS6 specific maintenance
4. Save on that precious money so that I have a room to update again after 5-6 years (which would have been difficult after spending 45L on a new car)

You are lucky to get a very low run car. Wishing you a trouble free ownership!

One query - Now that you own a diesel, do you miss petrol refinement? I know you TDed both petrol and diesel, but now you will be able to differentiate better.
sandy_shm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 00:28   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_shm View Post
One query - Now that you own a diesel, do you miss petrol refinement? I know you TDed both petrol and diesel, but now you will be able to differentiate better.
Short answer is - I don’t miss the petrol refinement and quiet agility. My personal experience / intuition is the only basis (not technical knowledge) - the petrol version seemed nippy and very eager to race - the diesel one seems more assured and picks up with gravitas. I prefer this one, but I may be biased because I am driving every day and enjoying it.

Good luck for your purchase! We should exchange notes and create a summary for the group at least for the maintenance.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th December 2020 at 03:47. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 14th December 2020, 09:44   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It seems the FNG is the best option to go ahead with though I dont know which one to go to
Absolutely NO, you car has hardly done anything so you must stick with Dealership. Even without warranty, they maybe able to help you on somethings where there’s a known issue or otherwise. Sadly, quality of independent workshops in India is a big issue. Decide after couple of years. BMW’s are fairly reliable, things go wrong when someone does something which is not required or is not done properly, this happens at the dealerships too but they will take care, but you will be on your own if you go outside. If your running is more, you can buy BSI maintenance packs that are available for old cars and start date will be from the date of activation.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 16:10   #90

Quote:

Attachment 2090993
Hey Sushant,
Congratulations! This is great news. All the best with the purchase and wish you happy driving! 😊

Did u go on any long drives as yet? I found the seats a bit stiff during the test drive, how has been ur experience, is it comfortable enough on long drives?

Regards,
Mahesh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks