Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 07:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Looking at buying a BMW X1 - Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
I was until now considering Fortuner Petrol and then I chances upon threads regarding heavy discounts on X1. So started considering that as well, but being in Delhi where there are instances of water logging in this season, I was wondering if even X1 is a good bet? Fortuner can wade through easily I know. I drive an XUV and can comfortably go through those mini pools.
X1 would obviously be of no match to a Fortuner or an XUV. But it is definitely better than the 3 series sedan. The odds of you encountering massive water logging to the extent that the X1 will have a trouble are going to be lesser. GC should not be a problem either.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 12:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
I have almost written off the X1 because the sales guy is not budging and is resorting to some tactics which is making us uncomfortable.
If you really like the X1 and the only thing stopping you is the dealer's inflexibility, I think you can get it from a dealership in another city and register it in Chennai. For e.g. the dealer in BLR is offering ~10L off.
spindoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 08:38   #18
BHPian

We have decided to go in for a Fortuner.

The really good German cars are a bit above what I want to spend and the ones in the current price range have little going for them beyond the badge.

The fortuner seems to be the best bang for the buck. Plus the sales experience was the best.
hajaar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 10:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have decided to go in for a Fortuner.

The really good German cars are a bit above what I want to spend and the ones in the current price range have little going for them beyond the badge.
Good decision considering the options.

BMW's cars are currently worth looking at only from the 530d /X5 30d / M2 upward. Everything below that has been designed for the typical Indian / Asian customer - read that as bragging rights + good interiors + who cares about suspensions and handling instead of driving pleasure.

Last edited by AMG Power : 29th September 2019 at 10:43.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 19:12   #20
BHPian

I am ordering accessories for the Fortuner. Its awesome that they are priced so cheap, even compared to my CRV. But that is a double edge sword since the interiors are not premium but meh, I have come to the POV that peace of mind is more important to me.

The list is as follows - please let me know if I have missed something that is critical/improves functionality. All of these are TGA.

Fabric Floor Mat - to protect against dirt
Front Fender Mirror - to get better visibility
Side Visor without chrome - to avoid rain and chrome ;-)
Rear Bumper Step Guard - to protect the trunk lid
Auto Folding Mirror - to make the driving experience marginally better
Door Curtains - comfort
Muffler Cutter - I don't know if I should be picking this
Leg Room Lamp - bling for my kids
Door Edge Protector - to protect the doors
Illuminated Scuff Plater - bling for my kids
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 21:11   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
BMW's cars are currently worth looking at only from the 530d /X5 30d / M2 upward. Everything below that has been designed for the typical Indian / Asian customer
I will tend to disagree, outgoing and the current 3 can bring pleasure to anyone and it's a globally successful product and not just southeast Asian countries. Though I won't dispute that many people tend to get some different sort of satisfaction but that happens to many Scorpion owners as well

Quote:
I am ordering accessories for the Fortuner.
Congratulation on booking the Fortuner. I will suggest you post Fortuner related queries at the Fortuner thread. You should also go through the review and other ownership threads.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th September 2019 at 21:12.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 21:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will tend to disagree, outgoing and the current 3 can bring pleasure to anyone and it's a globally successful product and not just southeast Asian countries. Though I won't dispute that many people tend to get some different sort of satisfaction but that happens to many Scorpion owners as well
It is because of the reduced driving pleasure in the 3 that BMW have themselves removed the mantle of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" from the 3 and given it to the 2.

Having said that, driving pleasure is relative one can get driving pleasure from a Scorpio too.
Old 10th October 2019, 15:50   #23
BHPian

Just to bring closure to this thread. I have taken delivery of a 4*2 Super White Diesel Fortuner yesterday. We love it. More to come in an ownership thread.

Thanks to everyone for helping out with excellent advice. :-)
hajaar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 12:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash2385 View Post
Hi, we have a close contact at one of the dealers, happy to connect you. I am new to team bhp, is there a way that we can send a pm?
Thanks.
I am also looking to buy a urban luxury SUV by Dec/Jan as our primary car for Mumbai. We are a family of 3 and car will be mostly chauffeur driven.

I am looking at X1, Tiguan, XC40 and might look at luxury sedans also if I can't find the right SUV.

Definitely not looking at Fortuner, Endy type car's.
Old 18th November 2019, 14:06   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
I am also looking to buy a urban luxury SUV by Dec/Jan as our primary car for Mumbai. We are a family of 3 and car will be mostly chauffeur driven.

I am looking at X1, Tiguan, XC40 and might look at luxury sedans also if I can't find the right SUV.

Definitely not looking at Fortuner, Endy type car's.
Honestly as a chauffeur driven vehicle - the Tiguan and XC40 may not be your cup of tea with a stiff ride quality in the rear seats.
The X1 is a little better in this regard, but would also recommend checking out the Camry & Kodiaq as well.

VW Navi Mumbai offered me a great deal on the Tiguan when we picked it up - happy to connect you, and BMW in general offers some great deals irrespective of dealer (though I feel Navnit is that much more keen to close a sale than infinity in terms of pricing).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 19:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly as a chauffeur driven vehicle - the Tiguan and XC40 may not be your cup of tea with a stiff ride quality in the rear seats.

The X1 is a little better in this regard, but would also recommend checking out the Camry & Kodiaq as well.

VW Navi Mumbai offered me a great deal on the Tiguan when we picked it up - happy to connect you, and BMW in general offers some great deals irrespective of dealer (though I feel Navnit is that much more keen to close a sale than infinity in terms of pricing).

X1 has a very stiff suspension and with those RFT's ouch! Not a car one would buy to sit at the back for sure.
Old 19th November 2019, 16:23   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
X1 has a very stiff suspension and with those RFT's ouch! Not a car one would buy to sit at the back for sure.
The M-Sport has a stiffer suspension than the regular models IIRC, which isn't too bad compared to the Tiguan which is a little more stiffer over bad roads.
Old 19th November 2019, 16:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The M-Sport has a stiffer suspension than the regular models IIRC, which isn't too bad compared to the Tiguan which is a little more stiffer over bad roads.
True. I have the M-Sport and the ride is stiff, however the ride on the Expedition variant is softer due to the tyre size.

The XC 40 is cramped at the rear and the ride is average.
milin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 20:33   #29
BHPian

All the German SUV's ride are stiff.. that is their pedigree and design. Some perhaps more than others. They are not nor do they pretend to be a Lexus or Camry.

Is that inherently bad?
Old 27th November 2019, 22:41   #30
BHPian

I just bought a m sport few days ago. Have been enjoying the ride so far. Yes the ride does feel a bit stiff but I do not have much to complain given then I upgraded from a xuv. In case anyone is interested, PM me as there are some great offers on the X1. I can get you in touch with some of the sales folks here in Bangalore who are hungry to sell.

Most Viewed