Team-BHP - Dilemma: Mercedes GLC vs GLE vs BMW X3
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Dilemma: Mercedes GLC vs GLE vs BMW X3 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/213091-dilemma-mercedes-glc-vs-gle-vs-bmw-x3.html)

All,

I am a 'lurker' here and log in periodically to check topics, primarily because I was travelling on work for a long-time and never had to buy a new car. I've had a second-hand Honda Accord since 2011 and never needed to buy a new car. I moved back full-time to India in end-2016 and have used to Accord for my daily commute in Bangalore.

I am now eligible for a company lease and my wife and I are considering an SUV also because of the ground clearance issues in Bangalore with the oddly planned speedbreakers and the condition of the road. The ones being considered at the moment are:

- GLC 300 - getting it for just under 60L OTR

- GLE 250d - getting it for just over 68L OTR

- X3 30i - getting it for just over 65L OTR

I am not a major speed merchant and the car will be driven 7-10k km per year and primarily by me or my wife. I don't know enough about the technical aspects of cars and want a solid SUV which has a luxury feel while giving us a nice ride. It would also be good to not have maintenance cost shocks. Also, I expect to keep the car for 7-8 years given my past history with cars.

I liked driving all three, but here are some points:

- GLC 300 - seemed to have a nice ride and well appointed, but was disappointed that there were no memory seats and with the slightly more sedan like feeling. It was also bit slow to respond, but felt solid. Admittedly, I drove the diesel version and expect the petrol version to be faster. Liked the way it looked from the front, but not the back.

- GLE 250d - solid feeling and great comfort, but the interiors felt very dated. The screen wasn't great and the lack of navigation seems poor for a vehicle that costs this much. I liked the looks in general.

- X3 30i - really nice to drive and looks great. Don't like the interior colour combo I am getting, but that's about it.

What are service costs like? What sort of insurance / warranty / repair package should I take?

I am not an expert on cars / automobiles, so I'd really appreciate your views on my choices for those prices.

Thank you in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sraghunath (Post 4655304)

I am now eligible for a company lease and my wife and I are considering an SUV also because of the ground clearance issues

- X3 30i - getting it for just over 65L OTR

I am not a major speed merchant and the car will be driven 7-10k km per year and primarily by me or my wife. I don't know enough about the technical aspects of cars and want a solid SUV which has a luxury feel while giving us a nice ride. It would also be good to not have maintenance cost shocks.

- X3 30i - really nice to drive and looks great. Don't like the interior colour combo I am getting, but that's about it.

What are service costs like? What sort of insurance / warranty / repair package should I take?

Have you checked X4? Even though discounts will be less than X3, it might appeal you better. If you need a practical SUV, X3 will be better. GLE is at end of life cycle and even though it’s being discounted, spares and other maintenance will be a tad higher than others. BMW keeps on refreshing interiors and other gizmos so check what are the current loadings and in case dealers are holding any older stocks, negotiate accordingly. You can buy Maintenance packs on both BMW and Mercedes. X4 comes with 6 cylinder Diesel in M trim which will be my pick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sraghunath (Post 4655304)
All,

Any reason for not trying out Volvo XC60 ? It may tick off a majority of your concerns (though I cannot vouch for the reliability aspect atm, since I haven't researched a lot on that car). It shall be a comfortable cruiser vehicle, with decent engine, features and tech onboard.

Also, if you're thinking of going a little wild, I'd also ask you to try the Lexus NX300. Sure, it's size isn't a lot compared to the others in that range, but boy-o-boy, it does have some unique presence, and maintenance for the same shall be a breeze. It does turn heads IMHO in the present day with so many Mercs/Beemers already on the road.
In my 8 years of ownership of the 2009 Corolla Altis, we only had to change the battery once. :P

Nonetheless, I'd pick the X3 out of your recommendations, since the present Mercs are kind of dated and an update is awaited!

You haven't mentioned your priorities which makes it kind of difficult to recommend.

I would pick the X3 without a doubt. Even though I have a GLC in the family, the X3 feels almost half a segment higher mainly because it’s roomier and newer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4655397)
Have you checked X4? Even though discounts will be less than X3.

Wouldn’t the discounts on the X4 be higher considering it’s more niche ?
Also would do you think about the discounts he’s mentioned? I reckon the X3 discount would be much more at this point.

Being a X3 30i owner, giving few comments (mine) here after 10.5K kms running.

You should get much more discount. I picked up last December with well under 63L on-road.

Hope you have inquired at Bird. Couple of months back it was with 6-7 lakh discounts.

You should get your choice of color combo (if stock available at Chennai).

It’s a very upmarket car when you sit in-side, feels premium from all-around (I miss gesture control). Everything you touch feels premium. Only short coming for me is the under-thigh support (me being 6’2” tall) and no adjustment for lumber or side-bolster (no sport seat either). That said I never got any pain or some sort after driving 12-14 hrs at a stretch.

Regrading drive, you will enjoy the car much more on open roads, than in city. Turbo kicks-in around 1450 rpm, and always there is a surge of power (at times this is irritating in bumper to bumper traffic). She is always eager to wisp out of sight. Never bothered to put on Sport mode, petrol engine does the job with just a dab on accelerator. Body roll is present (very much in comfort), but well controlled. But you can’t compare with older BMWs anymore. Adaptive mode is useless especially when you need quicker downshifts. Fantastic suspension for good to moderate roads but shows the effect of weight saving (aluminium suspension parts) on bad patches with higher speeds. X-drive works like a charm.

Very happy with BMW ASC (as usual), my car costed them a solid 1.5L parts replacement with-in one month of delivery. They did it with a smile.

Cheers,
Sail

The GLE is what you go for if you need space - it is easily a segment plus more spacious than the other cars here. However, the 250d is really slow given the size of this car - and unless it has been upgraded, it misses lots of features (when I looked at it, memory seats were missing).

The GLC is a nice car. You should look to drive the GLC 300 before buying - it feels very different from the GLC 220d. I disliked the lack of memory seats and also the small boot - while the reported size is 550 l, it includes space located below the spare tire.

The X3 30i is probably the pick of the lot. Have not driven the current version, but my previous gen X3 20d is a lot better to drive than either the GLC or the GLE. It also has a much bigger boot than the GLC. BMW is very aggressive on discounts - so do shop between dealers (including those from other towns). I ended getting ₹ 6 lakhs discount VS the initial quote (which has a large discount too), albeit for a near end of life product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 4655459)
I would pick the X3 without a doubt. Even though I have a GLC in the family, the X3 feels almost half a segment higher mainly because it’s roomier and newer.

It's surprising that you say that. I haven't sat in a GLC yet but all the reviews that I've seen suggest that the GLC has more leg room and more foot room. The Macan seems to be the smallest of the lot followed by the X3 and then the Q5 and GLC.

Firstly, thank you all so much for your very kind responses - I really appreciate the feedback and input. This is very helpful.

Let me attempt to address the points (in no specific order) on some other options that all of you have recommended, based on responses received:We have never bought a new car before and this will be our first new vehicle. So, our priorities are possibly as follows:
  1. Reasonably spacious luxury SUV (for ground clearance reasons) with great driving comfort for both city and long distance journeys and up to date features; Bangalore city trips often take longer than long-distance journeys due to the traffic here, as most Bangaloreans will attest to;
  2. Under 65L OTR, with reliable after sales service and spares as we are likely to keep it for 6-8 years (based on our track record with cars);
  3. Reasonable space - we don't have children and don't expect to be in the back seat often. This is for self-driving and our parents are likely to sit in the back, maybe occasionally the dogs when we go on a long trip;
Based on the above, let me try and also answer some other very good points raised wrt these three cars.So, as of now, the X3 30i seems the preferred option, although maybe we should look at the Q5 TFSI more seriously, and maybe take another look at the Lexus too.

If we do go for the X3 30i, are there things we should keep in mind with respect to after-sales servicing, warranties and maintenance? This is an office-leased car, with the option to buy after three years.

Thank you all so much. As I said before, much appreciated.

If you are going for the X3, you should definitely take the extended warranty (I took the 5 year, 60000 km package) and potentially take BMW Service Inclusive (I took the 5 year package) as well. Some folks here believe the BSI is not needed as actual maintenance costs may not be much higher. But my own view is that the peace of mind that comes from fixing your costs for 5 years is worth it. It also creates an incentive for dealers to do only whatever is needed - else they keep trying to get you to spend to much

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayek (Post 4655600)
If you are going for the X3, you should definitely take the extended warranty (I took the 5 year, 60000 km package) and potentially take BMW Service Inclusive (I took the 5 year package) as well. Some folks here believe the BSI is not needed as actual maintenance costs may not be much higher.

Would definitely recommend taking the BSI service packages now after BMW drastically reduced service package costs recently. They had increased prices ridiculously and people had started opting out, including yours truly sometime around Dec 2015. Four years down the line, my decision stands vindicated since my outgo on maintenance has been quite a lot lesser than what was the asking price for the service pack. For peace of mind and protection from unexpected costs, there is a separate 'warranty only' pack which is priced much lower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayek (Post 4655600)
But my own view is that the peace of mind that comes from fixing your costs for 5 years is worth it. It also creates an incentive for dealers to do only whatever is needed - else they keep trying to get you to spend to much

I would disagree with this statement based on my experience with a 'no BSI pack' X3. BMW has a very good system which does not allow dealers to push unnecessary jobs or replacements. Their system decides based on data stored in the car's keys by the car's onboard computers and there is full transparency with the customer. Spare parts and labour rates are fixed by BMW to keep the dealers honest. BMW's after sales gets a thumbs up from me. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by sraghunath (Post 4655565)

If we do go for the X3 30i, are there things we should keep in mind with respect to after-sales servicing, warranties and maintenance? This is an office-leased car, with the option to buy after three years.

Seems like X3 is your best option so far from a long term ownership experience perspective. BMW have multiple programs for maintenance. Try negotiating on those as part of the deal. There's also a BMW Joyfest Event to be held this coming weekend in Bangalore. Ask the dealer for an invite if it suits your schedule.

All the best!

I was in the same boat a while ago, and I had the following 4 contenders out of which i ended up with the GLE -

GLE 350D
X5 (Petrol)
Q7 (Petrol)
Cayenne (Petrol)

I don't think size wise it's a just comparison at all b/w the GLE, GLC and the X3, considering the GLE is from a segment above and competes with the above 4 SUV's (even the Cayenne is a size smaller).

TBH from the OP's three choices , the GLE is a Size bigger than the other two cars, is very comfortable, spacious and definitely has more bragging rights if you're into that. It would be my pick without an iota of hesitation, unless you care more about driving dynamics. I have never driven the 250d but the 350d is a hoot to drive.
If the 250d doesn't have features like Navigation/Carplay/Android Auto then that is a downer, but please check on the dealer level if Android Auto/carplay can be made compatible (it can be done for all 2017 GLE's and newer, at least here in North America). MB navigation is a pain to use anyways, so even if the car has it i would prefer Android Auto/Carplay over it anyday of the week.

You would need to see below the driver armrest for a port which has the '2 phones' symbol, if your car has it then Android Auto/Apple Carplay can definitely be installed at the dealer's for an extra sum.

It's the port at the bottom in this first picture, and the second picture shows Apple Carplay in the car infotainment screen-

Hi!

I am looking for an SUV style car- primarily city use and occasional highway. I dont really fancy the sedans. It will mainly be self driven (occasionally driver).
I am 6ft 2 and need my leg room as does my son.
I don't really do any off-roading other than what Bangalore's roads throw my way on the daily commute.
Looking for a pre owned car from max 2016 or newer(used approved would be ideal) in a price range of 32-36L. My options so far were the Discovery Sport (petrol preferably), BMW X1 or X3, Merc GLE.
Discovery sport: I really liked the understated looks, seating comfort and space. Concerns regarding service and other issues on the forums worry me- anybody who has personal experience your thoughts would be much appreciated.
The BMWs were real fun to drive but hard to get sth near my price point within the age range and it doesn't really feel like an SUV especially the X1.
The older GLE was great but its big and out of production. Pricing is again an issue.
Cars i have ruled out:
I really don't like the GLC (strongly recommended on another thread- too flashy and no fun to drive). Haven't seen the Q5 but found the Q3 very cramped and accordingly don't have too many expectations.

I am based out of Bangalore and am not really under any immediate time pressure.
I have been following the approved used websites of the manufacturers, 9thgear and car dekho. I found some good deals 9almost too good) on cars24- is there a catch?
Looking forward to any advice and suggestions. Thanks.