Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 01:12   #1
BHPian

Replacing a BMW 7-Series with a luxury SUV - Need your suggestions

Hi folks, blessed to be writing another post here seeking advice for another new car this time being a replacement for my slighly troublesome F02 740Li LCI

Due to usage pattern and parents preference (issues with low slung sedans) I have to choose an SUV this time so the but obvious S Class is out of consideration... I have shortlisted the following, need your suggestions on what would be the best bet and a proper upgrade in terms of Luxury / Comfort and Presence

- Range Rover Sport HSE V6
- Upcoming Mercedes GLS
- BMW X7

The Range Rover Vogue would have been THE PERFECT UPGRADE but its easily going over 2.5-2.6 crore on road with basic loadings and I cannot cross the 2 crore barrier with this one... Can anyone shed some light if the Range Rover Sport and Range Rover Vogue has similar suspension setup ? Sound insulation, material and size aside does the Vogue gets anything much over the Range Rover Sport ? Most important question - how should one justify paying 60L more than the X7 for the Range Rover Sport and another 1 crore more than the Range Rover Sport for the Range Rover Vogue ? I already have a LR Discovery Sport before someone points it out and I'm very happy with that car but this car would be for a different city...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 18th October 2019 at 01:22.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 07:21   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Replacing a BMW 7-Series with a luxury SUV - Need your suggestions

The X7 with its captain seats makes for a compelling choice, if you're going to be chauffeured. I find it well-priced too. But that grill at the front .

Still, would strongly recommend waiting for the new GLS. Mercedes is on a roll and has given it its best shot. International reviews are very positive.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 12:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Your parents might want to look at the recently repriced and resized Lexus RX450.

Boring to drive but your parents would like it
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 13:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
a replacement for my slighly troublesome F02 740Li LCI
That's strange. I find the F02 more reliable. Recently, there was some noise from the rear on my 2015-730-D, BMW Dealership replaced rear suspension without a fuss.

Quote:
Due to usage pattern and parents preference (issues with low slung sedans) I have to choose an SUV this time so the but obvious S Class is out of consideration.
I have always liked the rear seat of 7 series, you sit more upright over S and the newer one has Air suspension at the front as well rear, so you can raise the height when required. Some of the last pieces of pre LCI are available at tempting prices. If I were you, will gladly pick over anything else. These get very good massagers, ventilated/ heat seats everywhere. Tough to beat the features. You will be saved from the 120 Km chime as well

Quote:
- Range Rover Sport HSE V6
If I am not mistaken, you had some experience with JLR folks, so depending on the outcome, you should decide. If appearance or bling is important, it beats everything else.

Quote:
- Upcoming Mercedes GLS
It's a nice SUV but not expected so soon. It will have a huge waiting list so CKD production might not happen so fast

Quote:
- BMW X7
If you can get over the front, it's the most VFM car. Ingress in the middle row is good but despite the size and dimensions, you sit low. It does not have cooled/ massage seats either.

Quote:
The Range Rover Vogue would have been THE PERFECT UPGRADE but its easily going over 2.5-2.6 crore on road
Yes but then even after so much money, JLR can be a love-hate relationship.

Quote:
if the Range Rover Sport and Range Rover Vogue has similar suspension setup ?
Completely different, Sports is more like an X5 kind, sportier, Vouge is totally different not just on the comfort but also the driving posture and the feel. Rear seat comfort is miles different on both. Vogue with the extended seat is a perfect car for the guys with money not a criterion.
Replacing a BMW 7-Series with a luxury SUV - Need your suggestions-whatsapp-image-20191011-2.47.52-pm.jpeg

Quote:
Most important question - how should one justify paying 60L more than the X7 for the Range Rover Sport and another 1 crore more than the Range Rover Sport for the Range Rover Vogue ?
Sadly, you can't justify as a lot of money is going to the Government than JLR. BMW is doing CKD on X7 so that's cheap. Vogue, just because it's expensive necessarily does not mean that it's the best. But of all the SUV, definitely superior. If you are ok with something without features, do check LC 200 as well. Off late, it's being doing steady numbers, more than Vogue for sure.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 13:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

how about the Volvo XC 90 Excellence, with the awesome lounge seating. that would be perfect for 2 people to be driven around in.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 09:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post

- Upcoming Mercedes GLS
I was looking at the outgoing GLS yesterday, loved it however, if the new one is representative of the old one, I recommend that your parents try out the rear seat. I felt that both the seat back and the squab were a little on the short side in order to facilitate access to the rear most seats.
Old 20th October 2019, 10:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I was looking at the outgoing GLS yesterday, loved it however, if the new one is representative of the old one, I recommend that your parents try out the rear seat. I felt that both the seat back and the squab were a little on the short side in order to facilitate access to the rear most seats.
The outgoing GLS is in huge discount. In excess of 15 lakhs since it’s BS4
Old 20th October 2019, 13:09   #8
BHPian

I think this video would answer your question. The X7 wins out all on its own even in a sanely taxed market scenario. With the Range rover being way more expensive in India because of punitive import taxes, I would say decision becomes all the more clearer.

If I bought the X7 though, I would buy it in black and black out the front grille and all the body chrome. I think that would just about fix the styling issues a bit.

Last edited by manson : 31st October 2019 at 16:46. Reason: Typo.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks