Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2019, 23:48   #16
BHPian

re: Used luxury car for my parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASproject View Post
Should have specified in the original post, but my dad will be driving the car himself. And the car will be used only by my mom and dad 95% of the days. So back seat comfort is not a big deal.

The road presence is a good point though, I think it will matter in India where it seems like the car size determines the right of way.

Also in terms of the locations my parents are in Pune, India. I am in the US, maybe hence the confusion.
.. .. .. ..
What is the reliability situation like with the Superb? I don't mind expensive maintenance but mechanical breakdowns are a big no-no.

I think my list right now is down to:

Top picks: CRV, Santa Fe, Camry
Will check out: Compass, Hector
Erm, I'd mentioned the presence of features and not road presence!But that's a highly valid point to consider too!

So let me list out a few points you're open to, just to get a clearer image-

• Easy ingress/egress (relatively).
• No issues on maintenance costs, but frequent ASC visits for mechanical breakdowns a big no-no.
• Pseudo SUVs/sedans in the picture.
• Auto transmission.

What I would suggest is that your parents try out all of the (or most) cars in the picture, if time permits, in your presence. Next we have the contenders:

~ Used Honda CRV (4.59m)
~ Used Hyundai Santa Fe (4.69m)
~ Used Toyota Camry (4.82m)
~ Used Skoda Superb (4.86m)
~ New MG Hector (4.65m)
~ New Kia Seltos (4.38m)
~ New Jeep Compass (4.39m)

To this I'd add:

~ Used Ford Endeavour (4.90m)
~ Used Toyota Fortuner (4.79m)
~ New Skoda Kodiaq (4.69m)
~ New M&M XUV 5oo (4.58m)
~ Used W Passat (4.76m)

Extra Options- If, however, ease of parking/manoeuvring is of any consideration, ditch most of the above cars and get something along the lines of a Compass or Seltos. A Duster (4.36m) won't be too bad either, with its magic carpet-like ride quality. You might have to sacrifice on a few fancy features for some of these cars though. All the best!

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 29th December 2019 at 23:59.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 00:17   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The car will be completely driven by my dad. Given my dad is a sedate driver, I am more concerned about the second issues you pointed out (ingress / egress).
Top picks: CRV, Santa Fe, Camry

In that case, I will go with CRV over Camry for the driving experience as well as the overall seating posture. If you don't find any good used examples and can increase the budget, look for a brand new one at discounted prices.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 08:01   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If you don't find any good used examples and can increase the budget, look for a brand new one at discounted prices.
The discounts are in the region of 5L+ and a petrol should come somewhere near ~20L. Frankly, this is all the car / SUV one would need for that intended usage. My vote too goes for the Honda.
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 15:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used luxury car for my parents?

Even though there are better cars (European) at that price range, I'd suggest what's already been suggested- The CRV. Believe me, an SUV is easier to drive than a sedan in City as well as in the Highway, if not at crazy speeds. Have not sat in the rear seat, but, I think the CRV is good to be driven in too. And, there's the ease of getting in and out and the advantage of high seating position.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 21:36   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

When you say "used luxury car" and for parents, reliability is a watchword as they need to face the minimum hassles, be it servicing, repairs, breakdowns and so on.

I would suggest that you go for a upto three year old, used Toyota Innova with no more than anything above 50,000 kms on its clock. Self driven is always better preferred as the owners of such SUV's/MPV's usually engage drivers. And if you prefer a sedan, my choice would zero upon the Toyota Corolla Altis (petrol) with a similar mileage.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 23:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Looks like even an Ertiga AT would suit your parents. But if you need a bigger car for whatever reason, I'd pick Creta/Seltos. If you need something bigger, probably a CR-V or a Tucson. I'll still say it- the Innova is best choice.

Given that you're in Mtn View and parents are in Pune, I'd get them a new car from a reliable brand to give them the peace of mind. Brands I'd stick to- Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia(wait & watch,) Maruti.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 00:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

So self driven luxury car for your parents, with good ingress & egress, and which can handle Pune traffic?

I'd suggest going the C-SUV route & looking at options like the BMW X1 & Audi Q3 as the primary choice. These SUVs provide great value, and are perfect for the city running & even highway running. Plus you may find a newer model in your budget which may reduce your maintenance budget significantly if it is a good example.
If your parents aren't brand conscious - keep a look out for the VW Tiguan & Hyundai Tucson - you may get an example with warranty close enough to your budget to make it a viable option.

The second option I would recommend is the BMW 3GT which is a little higher than the typical C/3/A4 and brilliant to pilot around town.

The third option is something a little more fun - like a Mini Countryman.

If none of the above appeal to you, the CRV is a great plan B - but do try and find the newest model and not the previous generation since you have the budget for it.

I wouldn't recommend getting a Camry Hybrid / Superb / E class / X3 or so simply because for self driving in the city of bikes - the extra size is more a hassle. It would be a different story on the highway where the longer wheelbase would result in a more planted & mature drive.
Similarly, the 3 / C / A4 / A6 etc. are quite low vehicles from an ingress & egress perspective.

As an option, you can look at new cars like the Skoda Octavia & Kia Seltos which bridge the gap between easy to live with, peace of mind, and are feature loaded.
They may not have the road presence, but to be fair, after several trips to Pune - presence doesn't make as much of a difference as much as ease of being able to slip in & out of traffic do.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 08:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Used luxury car for my parents?

Kia Seltos torque converter diesel top spec will be my pick.

Easy to drive, probably fuss free ownership and also very safe,thanks to the 6 airbags,a 360 degree cameras and also the blind spot assist.

This is the current CSUV I would buy, if I was 60 and driving.

You can probably lock the car if they have forgotten to from where ever you are.:

Used cars will have their own challenges. Considering you are down only for a couple of weeks, it is going to be difficult to narrow down on a good example.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 31st December 2019 at 08:29.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:25   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not check with Pune Toyota dealers and pick up a heavily discounted new petrol Altis? May not be BS-VI but a impeccable brand, solid, reliable, comfortable and spacious rear seat, easy-to-drive luxury D1 vehicle. Should enjoy a life of easy 10 years but will also have good resale in 5. Toyota collects the TCO upfront through a higher purchase price but owners enjoy trouble-free and relatively cheap service costs.

Remember, as age progresses a crossover will become more and more difficult to get into. A sedan may come as a godsend at that point in time!

Last edited by itwasntme : 31st December 2019 at 11:31.
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Try and find a used Nissan Teana or you could even check out used Volvo S80. You ought to find both cars well within your budget leaving money you can keep aside for annual maintenance costs
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 12:32   #26
BHPian

I would second those who suggest going in for a Japanese / Korean relatively new machine rather than the Germans. Reliability, peace of mind would be high on the list as to the why. Moreover given you will have very little time in your short trip makes sense to get one where you don't need to do a lot of checks to ensure the vehicle is in good condition. Moreover with the Japanese / Koreans, you get multiple service options even within the city while with the luxury Germans, there is usually just the one service center.

Re kind of machine, I was wondering why you wanted an SUV / MUV. If their drives are going to be largely within Pune (where I also live), as an ex-owner of a Scorpio and an Innova and a current owner of a Pajero I can attest to the difficulties of parking in Pune's crowded lanes (just imagine parking an Innova in MG Road or Tilak Road !). I often have to circle back multiple times to find some spot. Additionally if it is just going to be the 2 of them, then too it seems an overkill. I am sure you have thought things through with regard to kind of vehicle but just thought I would share my experience.

But as someone in my 50s myself, wonderful to hear of sons treating parents to comfy SUVs and luxury Germans. May this trend continue.
bevivek is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 13:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Erm, I'd mentioned the presence of features and not road presence!But that's a highly valid point to consider too!

Extra Options- If, however, ease of parking/manoeuvring is of any consideration, ditch most of the above cars and get something along the lines of a Compass or Seltos. A Duster (4.36m) won't be too bad either, with its magic carpet-like ride quality. You might have to sacrifice on a few fancy features for some of these cars though. All the best!
I have added the Compass to my list. Wanted to avoid the Seltos and Duster purely because this is one of the few things my parents are letting me buy for them so I want to splurge a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
In that case, I will go with CRV over Camry for the driving experience as well as the overall seating posture. If you don't find any good used examples and can increase the budget, look for a brand new one at discounted prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The discounts are in the region of 5L+ and a petrol should come somewhere near ~20L. Frankly, this is all the car / SUV one would need for that intended usage. My vote too goes for the Honda.
The point about discounts is something that completely skipped my mind. I took the prices at face value, which would put the CRV at ~34 lakhs on road. Thanks, will look into this. A new CRV would be a perfect fit for them - extremely comfortable and no reliability hassles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Even though there are better cars (European) at that price range, I'd suggest what's already been suggested- The CRV. Believe me, an SUV is easier to drive than a sedan in City as well as in the Highway, if not at crazy speeds. Have not sat in the rear seat, but, I think the CRV is good to be driven in too. And, there's the ease of getting in and out and the advantage of high seating position.
True. The easy of ingress/egress and less skirmishes with bikers in Pune are the main reasons SUVs seem appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
When you say "used luxury car" and for parents, reliability is a watchword as they need to face the minimum hassles, be it servicing, repairs, breakdowns and so on.

I would suggest that you go for a upto three year old, used Toyota Innova with no more than anything above 50,000 kms on its clock. Self driven is always better preferred as the owners of such SUV's/MPV's usually engage drivers. And if you prefer a sedan, my choice would zero upon the Toyota Corolla Altis (petrol) with a similar mileage.
The innova would have been a good choice but unfortunately there are many innovas in the family but are all chauffeur driven, so thats a no from my dad.

I was considering the Camry from the Toyota stable but I suspect a higher car (i.e. CRV) would be easier to get in and out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Looks like even an Ertiga AT would suit your parents. But if you need a bigger car for whatever reason, I'd pick Creta/Seltos. If you need something bigger, probably a CR-V or a Tucson. I'll still say it- the Innova is best choice.

Given that you're in Mtn View and parents are in Pune, I'd get them a new car from a reliable brand to give them the peace of mind. Brands I'd stick to- Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia(wait & watch,) Maruti.
True, can't really fix any car issues from here I am close to sold on a CRV, especially given the fact that a new one might be closer to my budget with the discounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If your parents aren't brand conscious - keep a look out for the VW Tiguan & Hyundai Tucson - you may get an example with warranty close enough to your budget to make it a viable option.

The second option I would recommend is the BMW 3GT which is a little higher than the typical C/3/A4 and brilliant to pilot around town.

The third option is something a little more fun - like a Mini Countryman.

If none of the above appeal to you, the CRV is a great plan B.
I started my search by looking into an X1 but given the limited time I have and potential reliability issues with the germans I do feel inclined to the CRV.

Thank you for the note about the latest gen, will keep that in mind if I have to go the used route.

Their usage is basically the same 4 relatives and 5 friends in Pune, so barely any highway usage to justify the sedans. And parking is not a big issue either.

Pune traffic is a factor for sure. Last I spoke to my dad he did mention it seemed easier to drive a larger car where bikes dont try to kamikaze you, but I do have some cousins who prefer small cars. To each his own I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Kia Seltos torque converter diesel top spec will be my pick.

Easy to drive, probably fuss free ownership and also very safe,thanks to the 6 airbags,a 360 degree cameras and also the blind spot assist.
The feature list of the Seltos is indeed tempting. But like I mentioned a little earlier in the post, trying to spend on my parents while I can. Its a rare occurrence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Why not check with Pune Toyota dealers and pick up a heavily discounted new petrol Altis? May not be BS-VI but a impeccable brand, solid, reliable, comfortable and spacious rear seat, easy-to-drive luxury D1 vehicle. Should enjoy a life of easy 10 years but will also have good resale in 5. Toyota collects the TCO upfront through a higher purchase price but owners enjoy trouble-free and relatively cheap service costs.

Remember, as age progresses a crossover will become more and more difficult to get into. A sedan may come as a godsend at that point in time!
I always thought (and got affirmative feedback from my parents on this) that it is harder to get into and out of sedans. Genuinely curious, mind elaborating why you feel its the other way around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Try and find a used Nissan Teana or you could even check out used Volvo S80. You ought to find both cars well within your budget leaving money you can keep aside for annual maintenance costs
Would have loved them both but bhpians have (rightly) spooked me away from reliability circus acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post
I would second those who suggest going in for a Japanese / Korean relatively new machine rather than the Germans. Reliability, peace of mind would be high on the list as to the why. Moreover given you will have very little time in your short trip makes sense to get one where you don't need to do a lot of checks to ensure the vehicle is in good condition. Moreover with the Japanese / Koreans, you get multiple service options even within the city while with the luxury Germans, there is usually just the one service center.
Agree on the reliability part. Top option seems to be getting a discounted new CRV, no hassles and a pretty good car to get into.

On the SUV bit, I got feedback from my parents that they are easier to get into vs sedans. Plus less kamikaze bikers trying to get in the way. Luckily parking wont be an issue since most of the places my parents go to (other than Vaishali & Shreyas) have easy dedicated parking available to them.

Thank you for the kind words, feels like the least bit I can do for them. The USD to INR conversion does make it much easier

Last edited by Sheel : 31st December 2019 at 15:58. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
SASproject is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 14:58   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The point about discounts is something that completely skipped my mind. I took the prices at face value, which would put the CRV at ~34 lakhs on road. Thanks, will look into this. A new CRV would be a perfect fit for them - extremely comfortable and no reliability hassles.
If you are open to stretching closer towards 30 for a new vehicle, there are some other great deals too you should look for: VW Tiguan, BMW X1.
With extended warranty and fairly reliable models - I wouldn't worry too much about maintenance & downtime. They may not be CRV good, but wouldn't require significantly more time either.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 15:19   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Constraints:[list][*]Location: Pune[*]Purchase price (pre-owned): Around 15-20 Lakhs, can stretch if needed but need a good rationale to do so.[*]Maintenance: I am okay with around a 1.5-2 lakhs a year with the occasional 3-4 lakh expense once every 3-4 years.
With your total budget close to 30 (20 + 3 x 1.5 + 4) odd lacs for ownership experience of 5 years you could budget for a brand new Tucson, Innova, Octavia (soon to be discontinued here), Superb TSI, CR-V (maybe), A Class, X1 (maybe), CLA (maybe), with 4 - 7 years of warranty coverage. Regular service bills would perhaps not cross 1-2 lacs over the 5 years for regular stuff.

Last edited by manson : 31st December 2019 at 15:21.
manson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 15:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Agree on the reliability part. Top option seems to be getting a discounted new CRV, no hassles and a pretty good car to get into.

On the SUV bit, I got feedback from my parents that they are easier to get into vs sedans. Plus less kamikaze bikers trying to get in the way. Luckily parking wont be an issue since most of the places my parents go to (other than Vaishali & Shreyas) have easy dedicated parking available to them.
CRV is a good no fuss choice. It is also a smaller sized SUV which is also good.

Yes, an SUV does have brute convincing power on the streets of Pune.

Re getting in and out of SUVs vs sedans, I should mention that there are SUVs and there are SUVs. Of those that I owned, my folks found / find it difficult to get in and out of the Scorpio and now Pajero because to get in you have to use the running board as a step (which is not easy) while with the Innova they could just slide in since it was lower in the saddle. Do go with them to the Honda showroom and check it is the latter with the CRV.

Good to know your folks still go to Vaishali !
bevivek is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks