Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2019, 10:55   #1
BHPian

Used luxury car for my parents?

Hello fellow BHPians!

Background:

I plan to buy a car for my parents and needed some advice on what cars I should consider.

My parents are relatively young (mid-late 50's) but ease of getting in & out is something that I do want to factor in. Ride comfort is crucial.

Constraints:
  • Purchase price (pre-owned): Around 15-20 Lakhs, can stretch if needed but need a good rationale to do so.
  • Maintenance: I am okay with around a 1.5-2 lakhs a year with the occasional 3-4 lakh expense once every 3-4 years.
  • Expected life: Need the car to be usable for ~5 years from purchase
  • Fuel efficiency: Does not really matter since my parents will probably use < 500 Kms a month
  • Automatic: This is something that is a necessity
  • Reliability: Since I am not in the same city as my parents, it is crucial that they do not have to deal with breakdowns or hunt around for parts in case of repairs

Given all the constraints, here are the two options I am considering:

Option 1: ~3/4 year old SUVs from reliable brands (i.e. Honda CRV, Hyundai Santa Fe, etc)

Option 2: ~3/4/5 year old german luxury brands (i.e. BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mercedes C class)

My main concern with option 2 is less to do with the maintenance (assuming the amounts I mentioned earlier should work) but more to do with potential for breakdowns.

Any tips / recommendations on these options or others worth considering would be super helpful. Thank you in Advance!
SASproject is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 11:33   #2
BHPian

re: Used luxury car for my parents?

Buy the Honda CRV , it is very refined, understated , luxurious and most important reliable to be driven and drive by your parents. The one aspect which we cannot overlook is Honda brand is associated with peace of mind that nothing is going to go wrong. The European brands like BMW are also reliable but there is bit of apprehension at back of mind that something may go wrong and if I this happens it is not going to be a easy fix job .
Sandeep500 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 12:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Innova. Case closed.

I wouldn't even look at anything else.
Red Liner is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 12:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

I recommend this too, unless the OP's parents have no use for the extra bunch of seats. Get a nicely maintained last gen Innova (the newest of the last gen) or a new Crysta.

Otherwise, they can have a look at the CRV or the Santa Fe. Both are good cars without doubt.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 12:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:

He clearly mentioned luxury car: I guess the road presence associated with a luxury car would be missing in the MUV. An used Camry 4/5 years old, should be available for this price. So would the used Accord.

An used German, for folks in late 50s, might not be the best option. Gamble at best IMHO unless extreme due diligence is undertaken prior to purchase. His budget is enough for the bling, and lots of options for sure in the German used market, but might not guarantee peace. The upkeep would still be like a newly bought!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 29th December 2019 at 12:50.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 13:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Buy the Honda CRV , it is very refined, understated , luxurious and most important reliable to be driven and drive by your parents. The one aspect which we cannot overlook is Honda brand is associated with peace of mind that nothing is going to go wrong. The European brands like BMW are also reliable but there is bit of apprehension at back of mind that something may go wrong and if I this happens it is not going to be a easy fix job .
Thats true, the peace of mind is the main reason the CRV is my top choice right now.

Quote:

Unfortunately we have too many Innovas in my family and since none of them are owner-driven, its a no-no from my dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
I recommend this too, unless the OP's parents have no use for the extra bunch of seats. Get a nicely maintained last gen Innova (the newest of the last gen) or a new Crysta.

Otherwise, they can have a look at the CRV or the Santa Fe. Both are good cars without doubt.
Yep, unfortunately the Innova won't work.

Any preference between the CRV and the Santa Fe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
He clearly mentioned luxury car: I guess the road presence associated with a luxury car would be missing in the MUV. An used Camry 4/5 years old, should be available for this price. So would the used Accord.

An used German, for folks in late 50s, might not be the best option. Gamble at best IMHO unless extreme due diligence is undertaken prior to purchase. His budget is enough for the bling, and lots of options for sure in the German used market, but might not guarantee peace. The upkeep would still be like a newly bought!
Hit the nail on the MUV bit, the Innova (while perfect functionally) wont work.

One additional constraint is that I will be visiting India only for ~3 weeks so I have limited time to do my due diligence. Another point for the CRV/Santa Fe I guess.
SASproject is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 13:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I would probably splurge and get the new KONA. Limited running so no range anxiety, luxury, totally different from anything on the road, its a hyundai so probably less things to go wrong. You get your insane warranty and you don't have to go sit trying to find the proverbial needle in the haystack used luxury barge.

And you are from mountain view. Its electric or bust.

Last edited by Red Liner : 29th December 2019 at 13:27.
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 14:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASproject View Post
Yep, unfortunately the Innova won't work.

Any preference between the CRV and the Santa Fe?
My personal choice would be the Santa Fe due to its 4WD AT and the presence of more features compared to the Honda, but since the rear seat ride quality isn't that great, I'd not recommend it for your parents. So the CRV seems like the obvious choice. It has little negatives to complain about. A used German would be down on rear seat space for the fifth passenger (if any) and more costly to maintain in the long run.

P.S: I'm assuming your parents spend more time in the backseat and don't drive all the time, hence more emphasis on the backseat. No issues with the front ones on most of these cars anyway.

Edit- Are your parents in India or abroad? Because looking the post just above this one (^), I assumed they're not and cut part of my post about other cars like the Isuzu MUX, Rexton, Kodiaq, Endeavour and Fortuner.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 29th December 2019 at 14:39.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 14:46   #9
BHPian

I was in a similar situation a few months ago and I'd started and stopped my search with a pre-owned Toyota Camry Hybrid.
Purchase price: within range.
(Lack of) Maintenance: check
Expected life: check
Automatic: check
Ride comfort: check
Reliability: triple check.

In addition, the amount you'll save in maintenance, keep a chauffeur/chauffeuse if you haven't one already who, in addition to driving, will keep the car in shape and give them complete peace of mind.

Also, if you're inclined for the new CR-V, I hear there's some excellent deals being offered right now so that might work for you too.

Good luck.
ach1lles is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 15:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I plan to buy a car for my parents and needed some advice on what cars I should consider.

My parents are relatively young (mid-late 50's) but ease of getting in & out is something that I do want to factor in. Ride comfort is crucial.

Option 1: ~3/4 year old SUVs from reliable brands (i.e. Honda CRV, Hyundai Santa Fe, etc)

Option 2: ~3/4/5 year old german luxury brands (i.e. BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Mercedes C class)

A Petrol Innova in a Z variant would have been perfect but since you are averse to the idea of MUV you should try to find a used CRV or a Camry. Most of the Germans 3/5 or C and E Class (older generation) hardly have any space in the rear.

I will pick a Camry over CRV as it's far better on the rear seat and has a good presence as well. CRV rear seat is mediocre at best and repairs on Toyota will be cheaper as well.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th December 2019 at 15:55.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 17:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHPians!

Background:

I plan to buy a car for my parents and needed some advice on what cars I should consider....
My suggestions in order of preference:

Avoid sedans as they are difficult (too low) to get into especially for senior citizens, also avoid body on frame cars as they are too high to climb into. Monocoque soft roaders are ideal as you can just slide into them easily ( I recently bought Nexon XZA+ diesel for my parents) and they have sufficient ground clearance for that worry free driving experience to clear almost any obstacles on the road.

1. New Kia Seltos with torque converter AT for its reliability ( avoid DCT) : this will be perfect to fulfill all of your requirements, will be reliable being a new car, it is as luxurious as old CRV from the inside, will fit in your targeted budget.

2. New jeep compass petrol AT - If you are ready to stretch the budget this will fulfill all of your requirements and it will be reliable being a new car, it also has 5 star euro ncap safety rating.

3. Pre owned CRV ( low mileage ): its in a segment above my other suggestions but doesnt offer much in terms of the features except for the AWD variants. But, being a Honda it should be reliable in the long run as well.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th December 2019 at 18:49. Reason: Please do not quote entire long posts while responding, it hampers mobile user experience.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 19:00   #12
BHPian

You can get a used 2015-16 Camry for around 21-24 Lakhs, which offers great value for money, comfort and reliability.
Also, for the same budget (22-25L) you can get a W212 E Class(2014-2015) with less kilometres, it's back seat is very comfortable and it should be good for 4-5 years atleast considering it's in good condition.
aman-bh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 19:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
You can get a used 2015-16 Camry for around 21-24 Lakhs, which offers great value for money, comfort and reliability.
Also, for the same budget (22-25L) you can get a W212 E Class(2014-2015) with less kilometres, it's back seat is very comfortable and it should be good for 4-5 years atleast considering it's in good condition.
As per my understanding his dad likes to drive himself,so for self driving Camry is not a good option.
Also it is easier to get into or exit in a monoque SUV. CRV is perfect for driving as well as being chauffeured around. Being not too common it brings exclusivity too.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 19:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

First choice and already mentioned CRV and Innova.

Consider a good used Camry but they are rare - normally bought at book value by retiring company executives.

From your budget, you might find a low mileage 8 year old car but you need to do a lot of groundwork on getting it checked out and finding a good service centre.

You will also find a good Skoda Superb in your budget.

With a bit of finance and a slight stretch - what about a Hector?

Last edited by Sheel : 30th December 2019 at 07:21.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 23:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I would probably splurge and get the new KONA. Limited running so no range anxiety, luxury, totally different from anything on the road, its a hyundai so probably less things to go wrong. You get your insane warranty and you don't have to go sit trying to find the proverbial needle in the haystack used luxury barge.

And you are from mountain view. Its electric or bust.
Would have loved to get an electric (I love my Tesla) but I think it needs another 5-10 years before it somewhat matures in India.

Will check it out though. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
My personal choice would be the Santa Fe due to its 4WD AT and the presence of more features compared to the Honda, but since the rear seat ride quality isn't that great, I'd not recommend it for your parents. So the CRV seems like the obvious choice. It has little negatives to complain about. A used German would be down on rear seat space for the fifth passenger (if any) and more costly to maintain in the long run.

P.S: I'm assuming your parents spend more time in the backseat and don't drive all the time, hence more emphasis on the backseat. No issues with the front ones on most of these cars anyway.

Edit- Are your parents in India or abroad? Because looking the post just above this one (^), I assumed they're not and cut part of my post about other cars like the Isuzu MUX, Rexton, Kodiaq, Endeavour and Fortuner.
Should have specified in the original post, but my dad will be driving the car himself. And the car will be used only by my mom and dad 95% of the days. So back seat comfort is not a big deal.

The road presence is a good point though, I think it will matter in India where it seems like the car size determines the right of way.

Also in terms of the locations my parents are in Pune, India. I am in the US, maybe hence the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
I was in a similar situation a few months ago and I'd started and stopped my search with a pre-owned Toyota Camry Hybrid.
Purchase price: within range.
(Lack of) Maintenance: check
Expected life: check
Automatic: check
Ride comfort: check
Reliability: triple check.

In addition, the amount you'll save in maintenance, keep a chauffeur/chauffeuse if you haven't one already who, in addition to driving, will keep the car in shape and give them complete peace of mind.

Also, if you're inclined for the new CR-V, I hear there's some excellent deals being offered right now so that might work for you too.

Good luck.
This is very helpful.

My parents will not keep a chauffeur since they travel too infrequently (and the person will basically have nothing to do) so it will be driven by my dad.

My only concern with the Camry is if sedans will be easy for ingress / egress.

Any tips on the Camry being self driven & the ingress/egress situation?

It does tick all the other boxes though, added to my list. Will check out the CRV deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
A Petrol Innova in a Z variant would have been perfect but since you are averse to the idea of MUV you should try to find a used CRV or a Camry. Most of the Germans 3/5 or C and E Class (older generation) hardly have any space in the rear.

I will pick a Camry over CRV as it's far better on the rear seat and has a good presence as well. CRV rear seat is mediocre at best and repairs on Toyota will be cheaper as well.
While backseat comfort is not the biggest priority, I do agree with the merits of the Camry. Like I mentioned earlier, my only concern with the Camry is if sedans will be easy for ingress / egress. I think it will be in my top 3.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
My suggestions in order of preference:

Avoid sedans as they are difficult (too low) to get into especially for senior citizens, also avoid body on frame cars as they are too high to climb into. Monocoque soft roaders are ideal as you can just slide into them easily ( I recently bought Nexon XZA+ diesel for my parents) and they have sufficient ground clearance for that worry free driving experience to clear almost any obstacles on the road.

1. New Kia Seltos with torque converter AT for its reliability ( avoid DCT) : this will be perfect to fulfill all of your requirements, will be reliable being a new car, it is as luxurious as old CRV from the inside, will fit in your targeted budget.

2. New jeep compass petrol AT - If you are ready to stretch the budget this will fulfill all of your requirements and it will be reliable being a new car, it also has 5 star euro ncap safety rating.

3. Pre owned CRV ( low mileage ): its in a segment above my other suggestions but doesnt offer much in terms of the features except for the AWD variants. But, being a Honda it should be reliable in the long run as well.
The ingress / egress is my main concern with sedans, which would otherwise be a good fit. Thank you for the suggestions, adding the compass to my list. Will take a look at the Seltos too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
Other than the question about ingress / egress, the Camry does seem to fit the bill pretty well. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
As per my understanding his dad likes to drive himself,so for self driving Camry is not a good option.
Also it is easier to get into or exit in a monoque SUV. CRV is perfect for driving as well as being chauffeured around. Being not too common it brings exclusivity too.
Yes, should have mentioned in the original post but the car will be completely driven by my dad. Given my dad is a sedate driver, I am more concerned about the second issues you pointed out (ingress / egress). Will wait and see what ach1lles has to add about this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
First choice and already mentioned CRV and Innova

Consider a good used Camry but they are rare - normally bought at book value by retiring company executives.

From your budget, you might find a low mileage 8 year old car but you need to do a lot of groundwork on getting it checked out and finding a good service centre.

You will also find a good Skoda Superb at in your budget.

With a bit of finance and a slight stretch - what about a Hector?
The groundwork is certainly an issue since I have a limited time to spend doing my research in India.

What is the reliability situation like with the Superb? I don't mind expensive maintenance but mechanical breakdowns are a big no-no.

I think my list right now is down to:

Top picks: CRV, Santa Fe, Camry
Will check out: Compass, Hector
SASproject is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks