Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2020, 21:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Sports car, something fun and reliable - Budget 40 lakhs

My approach to give any advise is to offer my perspective of what would I do if I had to make a decision in a similar situation rather than telling someone what to do. I believe that every individual is unique and has his/her variables to make a decision based on personal factors.

If I were a student and my parents have given me a 40 lac budget for a car then this is how my thought process would be.

40 lacs is a decent sum of money. Keeping that in mind as a student being young I would look for something which not only will serve my car enthusiast zeal but also allow me to hold on to the car for a very long period of time so that I could always feel good for nostalgic reasons to see the car still owned by me or family 20 - 30 years down the time and show it to my future self and kids.

However if the idea is to hold on to a car for extended periods I’ll always prefer a brand new car.

I would be tempted to look at the German luxury trio for the rear wheel drive set up and as a driving enthusiast the first choice would be the BMW.

I know the OP likes the 330i M Sport but the on road price is much more than 40 lacs. I would try to convince my parents to increase the budget and I would compromise a bit by going for the 330i Sportline instead of the M Sport. It would all depend on how much would my parents be willing to pay and what discounts would the BMW dealer offer.

There are very limited options RWD cars. The Octavia 245 is FWD and so is the Mini Cooper. However if I were to consider a car other than the 330i it would be the Mini Cooper inspite of it being a FWD car due to the earlier point of it becoming a future classic in my garage. I wouldn’t go for the JCW but only the Mini Cooper S. The reason being the JCW price is quite close to that of the 330i and if I was spending similar money then the BMW RWD will make the cut.

Pre Owned.
The BMW 530d is a good car for the enthusiast but I wouldn’t go for it as it would just make me look older. No offense to any 530d owners, however I feel the typical profile of a 5 series owner is of a bit more older adult compared to a college student.

There are numerous choices in the preowned car market if one can spend about 40 odd lacs. Being an enthusiast who gives priority to the 0-100 timings, my first choice would be the AMGs, Ms and the S, RS cars. The other aspect which I would look for is engine displacement, size and design of the car. As mentioned earlier, if I was a college student I’ll prefer a car which is compact in dimension.

If I were to shortlist based on engine displacement for a turbo charged petrol car, then with the said budget I’ll look for a car with a 3 liter petrol engine. There are very few options and the car which I would consider would be the C43AMG. It is a compact coupe, perfect for a college student and that 3 liter V6 has mod potential. I don’t know how many of those cars sold in India and how easy it would be to find one in the pre owned market. However at this point of time I can’t think of any other car which I would consider in the used car market. Buying a pre owned car is quite a long drawn process. You need to be patient to scout for the car which you want. Then do the due diligence to check if it is a good condition, price negotiations, etc… Considering these points there is the element of luck needed when shopping through this route.

Below is the order of choice I would have in case I was still in college and was shopping for a car as the original poster

1. Ask my parents to increase the budget and get the 330i (M Sport or Sport line depending on the budget approval and discount offered by the dealer)
2. Mini Cooper S
3. Pre Owned C43 AMG.

@Harish. All the best. Happy Car Shopping!
RajBajwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 13:37   #32
BHPian

If i had 40 lakhs to blow on a car i would definitely go for a bmw m3 (e92) or a c63 amg(w204). The w204 is relatively more reliable. It will keep you under the radar as it can be easily disguised as a c class.
My second choice would be a new mini cooper s. I currently own one. The only downside being the quality of some parts aren’t upto the mark but the engine is punchy and the exhaust note is amazing get the jcw exhaust from factory as it makes all the difference.
Attached are the pictures of my mini
Attached Thumbnails
Sports car, something fun and reliable - Budget 40 lakhs-32a470a4e93d406ba92e24368fe0fd84.jpeg  

Sports car, something fun and reliable - Budget 40 lakhs-4a9e5e47910147adb2f1ff9f69ca1fd1.jpeg  

Sports car, something fun and reliable - Budget 40 lakhs-ab0f80db237d40569496714539ab3727.jpeg  

Sports car, something fun and reliable - Budget 40 lakhs-b08d31e333414e0bb58ae497a34affb0.jpeg  

German_clan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 03:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish View Post

The Requirements:

Budget- 40, and that's the max.
Mileage on car- Under 25-30k.
Expected running- 7500 kms a year.
Vehicle age- Nothing below 2015
2015+ Mercedes Benz CLA/GLA45 AMG: A lot of good examples for sale with low mileage within our budget. I like the GLA more than the CLA, due to the practicality it offers. The high ground clearance and more headroom in the rear than the CLA.
I am on a very similar search as well! Albeit with a marginally smaller budget

Since the thread has been relatively inactive, have you gone through with a purchase yet?

Do give us an update!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
If you are looking for an all out sporty car, with some more exclusivity, and with less practicality then you can consider -

CLA/GLA 45 - The GLA is my pick, being more practical than the low CLA. Both are pretty quick, and will give you good sounds and a nice driving experience on the whole. But they will blend in a fair bit with regular CLAs and GLAs.

Audi S5 - There should be enough of the earlier gen B8 cars well below your budget. This is quite good in terms of practicality, and gives you bang for the buck with the mods available. You may also be able to get the newer B9 with the new 3.0 turbo engine by the year end.
I am in the market for something similar to both of these cars. Incase of any leads please connect me to the sellers if possible! I'm considering cars from across India.

I have a budget of around 30 to 35 lakhs and want a sub 30k kms driven 2015+ car as well!

The b8.5 Audi S5 is something I'm considering very enthusiastically.
Does the car generation with the 3.0 v6 supercharged engine have any sort of mechanical troubles one should look out for? Engine or other mechanical components related?

Akshay1234, I have seen your stories and posts out on drives with a certain S5 in Delhi as well! The car design certainly looks fresh from the outside!

Regards,
Old 20th August 2020, 22:02   #34
BHPian

So to answer the question of what I bought,

Nothing yet, being 2 reasons.

-Covid19

-I'm not staying here for college. Plans have changed, Will be here for about 1.5 years and will be leaving to the US after to continue the rest of the years. Hence it made sense not to plonk a large amount of money into a car which will be used for very little time. No one in my family will be using whatever car bought after I've left so.

One mistake I did was, selling my Polo GT TSI before I decided where I'll be going to college. Big Mistake. I should have held on to it. I had no car for myself to get around as other cars in the household were in use by mom/dad and other uses. From time to time I'd use the Innova Crysta 2.4 Manual to get around, but it was a big hassle to drive around in the city.

So picked up a 2019 Rapid TDI MT
Sports car, something fun and reliable - Budget 40 lakhs-d933e98a623b4bb09a6e7377b504bcf0.jpeg
Sports car, something fun and reliable - Budget 40 lakhs-c8da336b08e04d5d991464fff3ce833c.jpeg

Mods on this as of now are
-TuneOTronics Stage2 ECU Remap
-Cobra Lowering Springs
-16" Momo Revenge Evo Series Rims
-Michelin PilotSport4 Tyres

This has been a great daily driver so far, have done 2.5k in a month-ish. Hope to cover a lot more kms with this one before I leave for the US.

Also, have booked a 2020 Mahindra Thar as well
In-fact I put our money on one even before it was launched for a Black, Diesel, Manual, HardTop or Convertible variant.
Sports car, something fun and reliable - Budget 40 lakhs-689f22f8421f4a25a7723f8a38ede7dc.jpg

Can't wait for it to be delivered, So these are the 2 new additions we've made. The way I see it, instead of one fun/sports car. I've got 2 normal ones for the year and a half I'll be here.

Sorry to disappoint you all with this thread, maybe there's time for sports cars for me some time later.

Thanks to each one of you for sharing your inputs and thoughts to help me decided on one! (even though I didn't end up buying).

Last edited by harish : 20th August 2020 at 22:17.
harish is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed