Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 13:32   #1

Used car dilemma: Pre-owned Mini Cooper S vs Skoda Octavia vRS vs Mercedes CLA/GLA 45 AMG

Hello BHPians. As an outset I'd like to thank the mods for accepting my membership registration!

I've been in a dilemma regarding the next car purchase we as a family would like to do. The car is to be used mainly by me and my elder brother for a few spirited runs in the city of Kolkata and won't be much of a daily driver but a night howler. I'd cover around 10k a year in it. I have had my eye on 3 specific cars. I haven't been able to locate the exact cars I'd like to have but according to priority would be a >2016 Mercedes CLA/GLA 45 amg so that they have the new steering and command screen and possibly the updated rotator mode selector (they're pretty much the same but the gla has more room in the interior and a higher ground clearance) followed by either an Octavia VRS 2017/18 or a Mini Cooper S; convertible preferred but the coupe will do too.

The basic criteria would be
1. No dark color (Blacks/Deep Browns/Deep Maroons etc are all off the consideration set)
2. Run <25,000 kms
3. Budget 25-35 lakhs depending on the car and kms covered (AMG around 30-35 max/VRS around 25/Mini 25-30)
4. Pan India availability can be considered
5. Stock cars
6. Single owner preferred

I'm counting on the experience of all the forum members to guide me!
I'm unsure regarding the actual availability of these cars however have an open mind. I'm open to all suggestions and guidance!
Does any of these cars have any major maintenance, service or reliability concerns with them? All my research has revealed that these cars are usually rough and tough!
Thank you in advance for your inputs!

Regards,
99octane

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th May 2020 at 13:45. Reason: Adding paragraph breaks for easy readability. Thanks.
99octane is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 16:22   #2
BHPian

re: Used car dilemma: Pre-owned Mini Cooper S vs Skoda Octavia vRS vs Mercedes CLA/GLA 45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99octane View Post
5. Stock cars
If you are looking for a stock car, maybe the AMG's will be a good bet. Its also a good idea to list your other rides so people can make a better assessment - For eg, a Mini convertible may be great for the novelty factor if the night rides are all it will be used for.
Tapish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 16:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Used car dilemma: Pre-owned Mini Cooper S vs Skoda Octavia vRS vs Mercedes CLA/GLA 45 AMG

Quote:
The car is to be used mainly by me and my elder brother for a few spirited runs in the city of Kolkata and won't be much of a daily driver but a night howler.
My pick will be AMG- CLA if you want something for outright performance in your budget. If you are looking at some exclusivity and are ok in sacrificing on performance a bit, can go for Mini cooper S. Get a JCW kit ( 2-2,25 lac extra) and it should give serious competition to the AMG.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 17:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

My pick of the overpriced sporty bunch would definitely be the GLA since it is the most practical and atleast has enough room that your friends wouldn't feel the need to complain

The E350 coupe, 6 series and S5 all pose slightly better value in terms of what you get for the price. They definitely feel more complete in terms of luxury IMO and a used S5 is certainly what I'd spend such money on if I could.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th May 2020 at 17:37.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 17:58   #5
BHPian

Welcome to the forum.

What you have described is any grown man’s fantasy.

It will be hard to find pristine examples of all the choices you mentioned that too in today’s times of corona.

But still if to choose were I, The Merc GLA would it be.

Second would be the VRS but it would have a lesser exclusivity factor as compared to the Merc.

Best of luck and please do let us know what you got. An ownership review would be even better.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th May 2020 at 20:09. Reason: Spacing
knrn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 19:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

If I were you, I'd go for the Cooper S. Given that this isn't going to be a daily driver, and you want a car to just hoon around in every now and then, it needs to be special, and of all the cars you proposed, I believe the Mini is the most special of the lot, it looks fantastic and sounds phenomenal with the JCW exhaust.

The Octavia VRS is a wonderful option as well, but will need a tune and exhaust to really start unlocking its fun potential. I can't really wrap my head around the way the GLA looks, which then leaves us with the CLA45, which at least looks the part, especially in that shade of red!

Here's my preferences, if I were in your shoes (hope yours are a size 10).

1. Mini Cooper S
2. Octy VRS
3. CLA45 AMG
iliketurtles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 20:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Its also a good idea to list your other rides so people can make a better assessment - For eg, a Mini convertible may be great for the novelty factor if the night rides are all it will be used for.
The car will mainly be used for spirited drives in the city whenever it may be as well as highway runs (durgapur expy and others) on the weekends.
City day to day and occasional uses are taken care of by our other rides. Bmw 5s Mercedes e220d v213 and the runners jetta dsg and creta petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I can't really wrap my head around the way the GLA looks, which then leaves us with the CLA45, which at least looks the part, especially in that shade of red!

Here's my preferences, if I were in your shoes (hope yours are a size 10).

1. Mini Cooper S
2. Octy VRS
3. CLA45 AMG
I'm a size 12

The Mercedes' represent a higher brand value to me and my family and thus they're a major focus point for me. However there is a dearth of good cars in my price bracket. Can't seem to find much or even any options!

The ones in my bracket are either 2nd owner or more (goes for Mini Cooper S' and Mercedes') Single owner cars are really tough to come by.

I really need some good leads! Please do Guide me to find them, if any!

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2020 at 08:14. Reason: Merging back to back posts
99octane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 21:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The basic criteria would be:
If you could extend your budget by 5-8 lakhs, you would be able to find a CLA 45 AMG that meets your criteria. All I could find under 35 lakhs were second owner cars that too pre 2016. Instead of going for something that old and wouldn't be covered under warranty, go for a BMW 330i or Cooper S. IMO it would be equally fun and more reliable too

Last edited by aah78 : 13th May 2020 at 22:18. Reason: Quote trimmed.
dealer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 21:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm a size 12
Dang. You know what they say...big feet...big shoes. Or something like that.

Quote:
The Mercedes' represent a higher brand value to me and my family and thus they're a major focus point for me.
That goes without saying. Mini has heritage and pedigree, sure, but Mercedes is the star, literally and figuratively. Nonetheless, I will go on to play Devil's Advocate here.

Your garage comprises a lovely mix of sedans and the one faux SUV. I know that size does matter, and badge too, but the Mini offers you something comprehensively different to everything in there, and it's distinctive in what it does. You have a few great workhorses in there, now it's time to expand the stable and throw an eager British Bulldog into the mix. The CLA is quite a looker, but the Cooper has that rare, fleeting quality of always making heads turn. Heck, at least mine. It would round off your garage nicely, IMO.

Quote:
However there is a dearth of good cars in my price bracket. Can't seem to find much or even any options! The ones in my bracket are either 2nd owner or more (goes for Mini Cooper S' and Mercedes') Single owner cars are really tough to come by.
As far as I know, most of these desirable cars trade hands privately. Put in a word with a couple of dealers dealing extensively in these, or ask online guys like STI classifieds or the likes to keep you intimated on these. It might take time, but I'm sure they'll snare you something you like.
iliketurtles is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 22:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
go for a BMW 330i or Cooper S. IMO it would be equally fun and more reliable too
Cooper S new ones are going for 25/30 lakhs? Or 30-35? All I could find are pre-owned ones done 15-20k, 3-4 years old and that too coupes and not convertibles around 30 lakhs! The JCW pack is fantastic though!

I'm a deal hunter. Give me good deals and the devil is my uncle! . I foolishly missed out on C cabriolets going for 45 and glc43 amgs going for 54. Please lead me to whatever are the absolute best deals on the market!

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2020 at 08:15. Reason: Spacing
Old 13th May 2020, 08:20   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used car dilemma: Pre-owned Mini Cooper S vs Skoda Octavia vRS vs Mercedes CLA/GLA 45 AMG

Quote:
No dark color (Blacks/Deep Browns/Deep Maroons etc are all off the consideration set)
2. Run <25,000 kms
3. Budget 25-35 lakhs depending on the car and kms covered (AMG around 30-35 max/VRS around 25/Mini 25-30)
4. Pan India availability can be considered
5. Stock cars
6. Single owner preferred
Your requirements are too restricting. Golden rule of buying good pre-worshipped cars is to ignore colour choices (get a wrap if needed), be open to ~40,000 km examples and flexibility in budget (especially for enthusiast cars).

Once that is done, I would suggest buying a Cooper S or the AMGs, whichever you get in good condition + owner + price + availability. Would suggest stretching your budget by 5 - 10 lakhs to include newer cars and Mustangs too. Looks awesome, is fast and has surprisingly neat handling for American muscle.

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2020 at 08:23.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 19:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I was in a very similar dilemma as you back in 2017.
Had in fact booked a new vRS (which I guess would have been a top choice for you as well).
Even in used : colour, kms, age were important - and of course with some change left over to make it better than new.

Again the intent was something purely for nights and weekends - even though I was replacing my daily driver - I had my eyes on another car at home for that role anyway.

Eventually ended up getting a colour I was initially 50:50 about, and a car out of my age bracket. Only km count & price were within limits.
Which car? 2012 F30 328i.
Compared to my first choice, it wasn't perfect out of the box, but doing her up has been part of the experience and has built a connection, anyways - i digress.

Looking at your wish-list and garage - I would hazard the Germans are the 4 pot variants including the 5 series (because the 530D would have eliminated the vRS and Cooper S in terms of performance on an open stretch).
Some thoughts:
1) all used vRS's in the market are very overpriced at the moment. The car is soon to be replaced. While legendary - I don't think it competes with the others unless you want a tuner. In fact a stock vRS for someone willing to stretch for a baby AMG may make you want to itch sooner than later.
If however you want a tuner - the vRS is one of the most friendly options in the market, but you may just find a 330i for not too much more - and the RWD will make launches that much more fun & quicker especially as the mods build up - but again you would need a reputed tuner otherwise it can be a nightmare. The vRS is safer as there are more people who have tuned them in India.

2) so if you're still reading this, it means a tuner isn't on your wishlist
In that case I'd recommend the AMG - especially the CLA because you already have practically and the lower slung CLA will feel more special. With the GLA you may be in a similar situation as me - with 2 cars doing what the GLA can do single handedly.
Other options I'd look at, along with those as suggested by others, are the previous generation Z4, 640D, S4/S5, and even the C43 if you can stretch. They have the style, the quality, and the performance.
Personally the Mini falls short of performance in this scenario - it may have been a different answer were you looking for a fun daily runabout where the size would have been a boon.

3) just a thought: why not get something you can use day & night? If you could replace one of the Germans as well you maybe able to stretch and pick up something nicer such as an F10 M5 or W212 E63 or a Panamera depending on budget.
lamborghini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 21:52   #13
BHPian

Re: Used car dilemma: Pre-owned Mini Cooper S vs Skoda Octavia vRS vs Mercedes CLA/GLA 45 AMG

Note from Support: Post fixed. Please run a spell-check before posting.

Quote:
I've been in a dilemma regarding the next car purchase we as a family would like to do. The car is to be used mainly by me and my elder brother for a few spirited runs in the city of Kolkata and won't be much of a daily driver but a night howler. I'd cover around 10k a year in it. I have had my eye on 3 specific cars. I haven't been able to locate the exact cars I'd like to have but according to priority would be a >2016 Mercedes CLA/GLA 45 AMG so that they have the new steering and command screen and possibly the updated rotator mode selector (they're pretty much the same but the GLA has more room in the interior and a higher ground clearance) followed by either an Octavia VRS 2017/18 or a Mini Cooper S; convertible preferred but the coupe will do too.
I would suggest you contact the bird automotive dealership in Gurgaon; I bought 2 of my cars from them and they’re great to deal with.

When I was out to buy my Mini Cooper S convertible I was offered a few demo cars for around 35lakhs, which were driven only 8k kms and anyone who buys them would become the 1st owner.

Also for 35 lakhs you can find a well maintained BMW Z4 or the Mercedes SLK. Z4 being the obvious choice of the two ��. BMW fanboy.

You just need to check thoroughly if the car has been track driven or abused and avoid them straight out.

Here’s the picture of the Cooper I drive.

Used car dilemma: Pre-owned Mini Cooper S vs Skoda Octavia vRS vs Mercedes CLA/GLA 45 AMG-1243ef4082f448c49853a3528b3d3a3a.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 13th May 2020 at 22:17. Reason: Quoet trimmed. See note.
German_clan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 22:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been in a dilemma regarding the next car purchase we as a family would like to do. The car is to be used mainly by me and my elder brother for a few spirited runs in the city of Kolkata and won't be much of a daily driver but a night howler.
You have got a pretty solid budget to get yourself a nice fun to drive car. 25-30 lakhs is good money. Being from Calcutta myself, can help you out a here. One thing is all 3 cars you have listed are three different kinds. Very important to have a drive experience of each and understand what you like, prefer more.

Skoda Octavia vRS
Front engined, FWD, 2.0L TSI + DSG being really fun to drive, plus halo tuner car for perfect bang for the buck, the interiors, bodykit etc making it look cool. Skoda ASS is pretty good now in Calcutta as well.

But no way will you be able to find a good preowned RS230 in your budget. They are barely any on sale in India and the ones that are selling are run quite a lot or asking for the same price they bought theirs for 2 years back. If you are hell bent on a RS only, then just book yourself a brand new RS245. I know the Kolkata Skoda dealer selling a Blue & Red RS245 which someone cancelled. But do it fast before they get sold out.

Mini Cooper S
Front engined, FWD, complete hot hatch, pocket rocket, retro cool interiors. Really really fun to drive. A bucket list car for many. Lot of history with the Mini brand. OSL BMW does the servicing for Mini officially in Calcutta.

Again a handful R56, F56 Cooper S's in the city. Some well kept, some maybe not. You can hunt in Calcutta, Delhi, Bombay for them. You should be able to find what you like. Infact my best bud is selling his 15k done Cooper S R56 here in Cal. Car is super clean and mint condition with full service history. Infact a Bhpian as well, he's got one of the best car collection's in the country.

Mercedes Benz CLA/GLA 45 AMG
Front engined, AWD, the CLA45 being a sexy design in it's coupe avatar with it's frameless doors, the GLA45 being a pretty good looking well. The baby AMG being really amazing to drive with that 2.0L BiTurbo engine along with the 4matic to add to the handling. Benz managed to do a pretty good job with the interiors as well.

Again no CLA45's here in the city now. But there is a clean GLA45 in Calcutta. You should be able to find a clean CLA/GLA45 from Delhi, Bombay as well.

You can speak to Pratap (Luxotica Automobiles) at +91 98318 86240 with my reference. He can help you find a very clean car as per your requirements from around the country. Very trusty and genuine guy. Been working in this industry for over 15 years.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th May 2020 at 21:22. Reason: correcting RWD to FWD
cityvic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 04:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
2) so if you're still reading this, it means a tuner isn't on your wishlist
In that case I'd recommend the AMG - especially the CLA because you already have practically and the lower slung CLA will feel more special. With the GLA you may be in a similar situation as me - with 2 cars doing what the GLA can do single handedly.
Other options I'd look at, along with those as suggested by others, are the previous generation Z4, 640D, S4/S5, and even the C43 if you can stretch. They have the style, the quality, and the performance.
Personally the Mini falls short of performance in this scenario - it may have been a different answer were you looking for a fun daily runabout where the size would have been a boon.

3) just a thought: why not get something you can use day & night? If you could replace one of the Germans as well you maybe able to stretch and pick up something nicer such as an F10 M5 or W212 E63 or a Panamera depending on budget.
I'm really not much of a tuner a remap is kinda my maximum or has been atleast.

The Z4s I found to be available are all <2015 and asking 45 lakh+ so they're pretty much off the consideration set! The e63 as well as m5 are all around 60+ lakhs given what ground rules have been set by the family. The other options are really really good and I'll definitely look into them!

The mini does fall short on performance but AFAIK it has one of the best handling and chassis set ups out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by German_clan View Post

When I was out to buy my Mini Cooper S convertible I was offered a few demo cars for around 35lakhs, which were driven only 8k kms and anyone who buys them would become the 1st owner.

Also for 35 lakhs you can find a well maintained BMW Z4 or the Mercedes SLK. Z4 being the obvious choice of the two ��. BMW fanboy.

You just need to check thoroughly if the car has been track driven or abused and avoid them straight out.
Thankyou very much for your inputs! I'll give it a try!
Please do guide me as to where to find these Z4s. Will definitely give Bird gurgaon a call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
You should be able to find a clean CLA/GLA45 from Delhi, Bombay as well.

You can speak to Pratap (Luxotica Automobiles) at +91 98318 86240 with my reference. He can help you find a very clean car as per your requirements from around the country. Very trusty and genuine guy. Been working in this industry for over 15 years.
Thankyou very much for this lead. Will definitely take it up!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks