Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 11:57   #1
BHPian

Buying a pre-owned BMW X5?

Hello Everyone!

I am considering buying a pre-owned BMW X5. Preferably 2017 or newer model.

My budget is 40Lakhs (would be very happy at 35L and can stretch upto 45L at the most).

I am currently exploring some options available for sale in NCR.

Option 1
2017 registered BMW X5 30d Pure variant with 40k on the odo. Single owner with an asking price of 42L. Car is with an used car dealership. I test drove the car yesterday and all seemed fine except minor scuffing on the steering wheel and overall cleanliness of the vehicle being just average.

I have sent the car's VIN to BMW to pull out the history of the vehicle and will do a detailed checkup at nearby BMW dealership.

Option 2
2017 registered BMW X5 30d Pure Variant with 31l on the odo. Single owner with an asking price of 50L. Car is BMW Certified and is with a BMW dealer in NCR. I am yet to see this car.

The only thing pulling me towards option 1 is the lucrative price as compared with option 2.

Additionally, I plan to keep this vehicle for 3-4 years with approx annual running of 10-15k kms.

Would appreciate some guidance on the maintenance cost and ownership experience from previous X5 owners as well as other knowledgable members.
Old 17th June 2020, 16:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Buying a pre-owned BMW X5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
I am considering buying a pre-owned BMW X5. Preferably 2017 or newer model.
Mostly, Trouble-free vehicle. Expect rear bellows to go bad. Ours went bad in 3rd Year at 40,000 Km. Replaced under extended warranty. They replace the pump and bellows for warranty cars. Maybe a known issue.

Try to find an M variant. It gets sportier seats and Headup. Both examples you have listed are expensive and should be avoided. BMW pre-owned dealerships keep a large margin.

When you find good examples, then get the history and inspection otherwise not required. 2017 gets a digital cockpit and soft-close in addition to 2016 features.

Quote:
I test drove the car yesterday and all seemed fine except minor scuffing on the steering wheel and overall cleanliness of the vehicle being just average.
Steering & Interior holds well if you take good care. It can be due to higher mileage so service records will be helpful. Avoid this and instead, find from the direct owner and in extended warranty. Avoid vehicles without warranty. If you can't find, extend budget or look something smaller, a 530-D or an X3- in 30D.

Patience is the key here.

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th June 2020 at 16:40.
Turbanator is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Mostly, Trouble-free vehicle. Expect rear bellows to go bad. Ours went bad in 3rd Year at 40,000 Km. Replaced under extended warranty. They replace the pump and bellows for warranty cars. Maybe a known issue.

Yes the rear bellows going bad looks like a common issue. Our car’s went bad last month at 50000 km and 2.5 years of ownership. Luckily got replaced under the warranty so not a problem. Other than this the car is mostly trouble free and you can’t go wrong with the X5.

Good luck looking for a clean example!
Raahil_23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:10   #4
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs Turbanator!

Quote:
Try to find an M variant. It gets sportier seats and Headup. Both examples you have listed are expensive and should be avoided. BMW pre-owned dealerships keep a large margin.
All the current options that are available through online websites (Cartrade, Cardekho etc.) are on the more expensive side. Any leads where should I focus my search efforts to locate the right example for myself?

I have asked one BMW dealer friend in Chandigarh to try and find us something good.

Quote:
Steering & Interior holds well if you take good care. It can be due to higher mileage so service records will be helpful. Avoid this and instead, find from the direct owner and in extended warranty. Avoid vehicles without warranty. If you can't find, extend budget or look something smaller, a 530-D or an X3- in 30D.
The "Option 1" car has the option of getting an extended warranty as the original warranty expired during the lockdown and they have an approval from BMW regarding providing extended warranty. In addition, this car had new Goodyear tyres changed 5k kms before.

Going to check out "Option 2" tomorrow. I was of the opinion that maybe BMW dealers would negotiate heavily and try and push their stocks in the current times where-in sales are at an all-time low.

Quote:
Patience is the key here.
Easier said than done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raahil_23 View Post
Yes the rear bellows going bad looks like a common issue. Our car’s went bad last month at 50000 km and 2.5 years of ownership. Luckily got replaced under the warranty so not a problem. Other than this the car is mostly trouble free and you can’t go wrong with the X5
Any idea how expensive or cheap are these parts to replace in case it happens outside warranty?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th June 2020 at 18:55. Reason: Mod note attached.
Sisu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 18:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The "Option 1" car has the option of getting an extended warranty as the original warranty expired during the lockdown and they have an approval from BMW regarding providing extended warranty.
If the warranty expired in the lockdown period 15th March till date, it will be possible. But do check with BMW specifically. In case of doubt, post-VIN here or PM and I will get a confirmation.

BMW Preowned - very bad, they offer the lowest price to sellers and don't budge easily when it's time for them to sell.

Bellows costs around 2 Lac and in our case, they changed Engine & Gear mounts as well. The total was around 3,5 lac or something.

Try to find something from 2018 or even 2019, even if that means increasing your budget. Prices drop maximum in the First Year or Two. It's the best time to buy a European car. You may not enjoy a 4-Year-old car given the changes.

If you are in a hurry, pick up something smaller and keep on searching until you find the right example
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 07:15   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying a pre-owned BMW X5?

Mod Note: Thread moved to the Luxury & Imports section!
Old 18th June 2020, 16:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
If the warranty expired in the lockdown period 15th March till date, it will be possible. But do check with BMW specifically. In case of doubt, post-VIN here or PM and I will get a confirmation.

BMW Preowned - very bad, they offer the lowest price to sellers and don't budge easily when it's time for them to sell.

Bellows costs around 2 Lac and in our case, they changed Engine & Gear mounts as well. The total was around 3,5 lac or something.

Try to find something from 2018 or even 2019, even if that means increasing your budget. Prices drop maximum in the First Year or Two. It's the best time to buy a European car. You may not enjoy a 4-Year-old car given the changes.

If you are in a hurry, pick up something smaller and keep on searching until you find the right example
Thanks Turbanator!

I have dropped the option 1 that I had shortlisted basis your advice and the service history received from BMW for this car even though extended warranty was available from BMW till 30-Jun-20.

Looking for a newer and lesser run example as peace of mind is key for me after spending 40 big ones.

Will keep my eyes peeled for any new options that come up!
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 19:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Turbanator!

I have dropped the option 1 that I had shortlisted basis your advice and the service history received from BMW for this car even though extended warranty was available from BMW till 30-Jun-20.

Looking for a newer and lesser run example as peace of mind is key for me after spending 40 big ones.

Will keep my eyes peeled for any new options that come up!
Check this out
https://www.facebook.com/38220284198...7411450465005/
rayjaycleoful is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 20:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post

It looks repainted to me unless it's the camera. Carbon Black should look different. This looks more greenish.

And it can't be M sports - chrome on the side is a giveaway.

This also looks good

https://www.olx.in/item/bmw-x5-xdriv...iid-1576504586

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th June 2020 at 20:30.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 22:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Quote:
It looks repainted to me unless it's the camera. Carbon Black should look different. This looks more greenish.

And it can't be M sports - chrome on the side is a giveaway.

This also looks good

https://www.olx.in/item/bmw-x5-xdriv...iid-1576504586
Thank you both for taking the time to share these options.

I am in the midst of a deal for a fantastic X5 and will update here of it goes through. Wish me luck!
Sisu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 14:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you both for taking the time to share these options.

I am in the midst of a deal for a fantastic X5 and will update here of it goes through. Wish me luck!
Hello Members,

Happy to update that I have welcomed my beast yesterday to our family!

I was chasing a few options since last 2-3 weeks but somehow was hitting roadblocks just before the deal was being finalised like the owner backing out at the last minute or the vehicle history not coming out to be clean.

Anyway, I was finally able to crack a deal for a pristine Sep 2018 registered BMW X5 DPE in black saffire colour which has run only 22k kms and is still in warranty along-with BSI.

I took delivery of my beast yesterday and needless to say, I am beyond thrilled to be upgrading to a proper SUV after owning a Mahindra XUV since last 7 years.

The R/C transfer process is still underway. I shall be sharing pictures of my beast soon.
Sisu is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 15:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Happy to update that I have welcomed my beast yesterday to our family!
Congratulations for welcoming a true beast, looks like a lovely deal and I'm hoping we get to see pictures soon!

Last edited by manson : 25th July 2020 at 15:39. Reason: Trimmed quote.
aman-bh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 12:16   #13
BHPian

Sorry for the delay in sharing the pictures of my latest possession.

This week has been crazy with all the RTO transfer formalities and loan disbursement tasks in addition to my normal workload at work.

Please excuse the poor quality of the pictures but this is the best I could manage with my limited photography skills.

In other news, treated the car to a ceramic coating (inspite of receiving mixed reviews for the same). However, couldn't resist the urge to pamper the beast. Got the car back absolutely gleaming but murphy's law kicked in and there was a tremendous downpour last evening in Delhi compounded with waterlogging has taken the sheen off the new treatment.

I am still undecided whether to go for PPF on the bumpers, side mirrors, door handles. It might be more cost efficient to get the bumpers repainted once a year and bring the car back to showroom condition. Will take a call over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a pre-owned BMW X5?-img_5232.jpeg  

Buying a pre-owned BMW X5?-img_5233.jpeg  

Buying a pre-owned BMW X5?-img_5241.jpeg  

Buying a pre-owned BMW X5?-img_5242.jpeg  

Buying a pre-owned BMW X5?-img_5243.jpeg  

Sisu is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 21:33   #14
BHPian

Congratulations Sisu,

Very lucky to be able to pick up something like this in that budget. Down here in Bangalore, I doubt I'd find a decent X3 30D in that budget. Just started looking for a nice pre owned luxury SUV with a similar budget, the X5 being the vehicle of choice and its slim pickings here
imp! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 23:12   #15

Congrats Sisu on the beast

All - was planning to buy a 530D or Merc E350d (upgrading from a Jetta Automatic)and of course mind being a monkey has drawn me to evaluate the SUV. I am torn between whether to go for the Xdrive 30d or the 40i.

I test drove the 40i was smooth as silk but greatly miss the torque but the coffee brown interior on the sport package is sexy and of course you get the HUD. This also come with more horses and looks quick on paper.

I have not test driven the diesel yet, may be this week I will do but seek your advise on 40i or the 30d.
vikrishn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks