Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2020, 18:13   #1
BHPian

Advice on buying a 12-year old Mercedes C-Class?

Hello Team-BHPíans,

I hope everyone and their families are keeping safe during these tough COVID times. Hope this ends soon.

This is about a 2008 Mercedes Benz 220 CDI Elegance - KA registered with a second owner in Bangalore. I came across this pre-owned car on a used car portal. The price quoted is Rs.7.95,000/-. The reading on the ODO is almost 60k. I have been noticing this car on the same portal for almost a month. Back then it was priced at about Rs.8,50,000/-(if I remember correctly). I actually had an eye on this car because it looks clean in the pictures provided. So out of curiosity I called the seller on the number provided(who is actually a used car dealer). He happened to tell me that the car is clean and still looks fresh, without any issues, though he did not give a clear picture of the service history. He also mentioned that though the owner was reluctant to reduce the price from 8.5L, he convinced him to reduce it due to the present market conditions. Now I became keen to check on the car and just asked him again if there is any scope for further reduction in price, to which he replied a slight negotiation is possible, if I am serious about it. After that I did a lot of reading in various TBHP threads on pre-owned 220 CDI's. One thing I understood for sure was the exorbitantly high costs of maintenance. I mean like Rs.35 K for the second service, 3~4 lacs for AC repairs and probably major service costs after 60k kms, its damn scary. So I would like to ask fellow T-BHP members (especially Mercedes owners) a few questions just to help me take a decision. I am yet to see the car in person. I wanted to be clear in my mind before I go there, since I respect everyone's time.

1. Is the asking price of Rs.7.95 lacs justified for a 2008 220 CDI Elegance?
2. I read in some threads that Mercedes cars in the early 2000's had quality and reliability issues. Did they improve around 2008?
3. Though I do not need another car at home(I already own an 2019 Alturas G4 and a 2008 i10AT), its just that I wanted to own a low cost/low odo reading Mercedes at some point of time in my life just for the sake of owning a Mercedes. Am I gambling?
4. I am not the type of guy who will spend enormous time at garages. I neither have that kind of patience nor the money. So should I stay away from this?

I highly appreciate any valuable feedback/suggestions.

@ Respected Moderator : If you feel that all the above questions and issues have been answered and discussed in various threads and this does not warrant a new thread, you may please omit it.

Thanks to all.
Best regards.
Please stay safe.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th June 2020 at 23:04. Reason: Adding some paragraph spacing :)
Pkumarblore is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 18:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Advice on buying a 12-year old Mercedes C-Class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
4. I am not the type of guy who will spend enormous time at garages. I neither have that kind of patience nor the money. So should I stay away from this?
Guess you've answered your own question. A twelve, running on thirteen, year old German and no time to spare don't go hand in hand. Add to that, having to get the RC renewed in two years' time.

If you absolutely must own a Merc and also prefer it to be trouble-free, you're going to need to have a generous wallet for this expense.
libranof1987 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 18:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:

For point 1 - Price is way too high for a 12 year old car. I would advice you to please look at a post 2012. You can easily get a good low run 2012 C-Class easily around 9 lakh. I own a 2014 w204, no major issues faced.
shravan2k2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 19:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team-BHPíans,-
3. Though I do not need another car at home(I already own an 2019 Alturas G4 and a 2008 i10AT), its just that I wanted to own a low cost/low odo reading Mercedes at some point of time in my life just for the sake of owning a Mercedes. Am I gambling?
Although I do not own one, but from the limited experience I have from my cousins' luxury Germans and some bits and pieces from this forum, I would like to suggest for your points 3 and 4 in a very generic sense:
3. Are you gambling? I would gravitate towards a 'YES'. You may be lucky to get a pristine one which may never give you any trouble, but there is a higher chance of getting one with possibility of a 6 digit repair bill anytime. You can be the better judge in choosing between owning a Mercedes with the risk of getting a large bill versus not having that dream vehicle.
4. Should you stay away? Again I would lean towards a 'YES'. You need at least one of patience or money to maintain a luxury badge. Without patience? Must put up with Mercedes Authorised for much higher costs of service. Without splurging? Finding a mechanic and sourcing parts may be a time-taking affair. Simply put, would owning a Mercedes put a bigger smile on your face or living with the risk of large outgo be a bigger worry for you?
P.S.- I also sometimes browse the classifieds for such cars, but probably would never make the jump owing to numerous posts in the forum, unless maybe a classic .
Researcher is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 19:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

You should stay away from this car because of the following reasons-

1. The price is way too high. I have seen 2010 E220/250s getting sold at that price in Pune. Considering the fact that the car is a 2008 model the price isn’t justified even for Bangalore.

2. Keeping aside the 10-12% Low run diesel cars running on Indian roads rest all of them are either with a high ODO reading or they are meter tampered. I personally don’t buy the logic- low ODO reading = peace of mind especially in case of German vehicles. Most of the German cars I have seen giving trouble are the low run cars. Just saw a 170k kms done 2013 520d at an FNG today and it was in an amazing shape. So I really doubt this car has actually done 60k kms especially if it’s with the second owner now.

3. Honestly, If you want a Merc for the Badge then you should consider getting the NA petrol Mercs(E350) or the w212 E220/250/350 diesel. You can find plenty of clean cars around.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 21:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2008 Mercedes Benz 220 CDI Elegance - KA registered
second owner
reading on the ODO 60k

owner was reluctant to reduce the price from 8.5L, he convinced him to reduce it due to the present market conditions
Stay away from old Mercs like the plague, unless you have a lot of time, patience and cash to spend on her upkeep.

The 60k ODO is post - tampering, and the dealer's claim of convincing the owner to reduce the price is also a good story.

If you want to enjoy another car, borrow a relative or friend's car for a week, drive around, experience the "change" and feel satiated.
vigsom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 09:45   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice on buying a 12-year old Mercedes C-Class?

Hi Pkumar,

You have such a wonderful car in the Alturas - please don't go for such old & inferior models. A 12-year old C-Class will drive poorer than a 5-year old Octavia, due to the high wear & tear of our roads.

Having owned a C-Class before and a 5-Series now, I can tell you that these cars are best sold at the 10 year (or so) mark. They are infuriatingly complex, parts do fail with age and repairs are exorbitantly priced. Of course, I wouldn't mind owning my own 10-year old German car for another 2 - 3 years, but there is no way I'm buying someone else's 10-year old car. Simply because I don't know its history, how its been driven or if its been maintained to the high standards I follow for my cars.

Quote:
I mean like Rs.35 K for the second service, 3~4 lacs for AC repairs and probably major service costs after 60k kms, its damn scary.
That's not the only scary part. My C220's air-con once took the best of mechanics 3 - 4 weeks to repair. They just couldn't find the damn problem.

Instead of bringing somebody else's nightmare home, please instead enjoy your lovely Alturas G4. Invest the 10-lakhs and use it later for buying a 3 - 4 year old C-Class or E-Class in 2025.
GTO is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 14:11   #8
BHPian

Thanks all for their valuable advises and suggestions. I think I have made up my mind. I am not buying it.
Pkumarblore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

The only way to buying a 12 year old Merc from the nadir of their quality is as below - Dirty Harry style

Name:  653e18fc021ddaf9961332d583989248.png
Views: 20187
Size:  22.8 KB

Last edited by ajmat : 30th June 2020 at 19:29.
ajmat is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 19:49   #10
BHPian

I have a different opinion from those who have opined. My first Mercedes was a 2008 C Class kompressor. i still own it and drive it. It has done 40k kms and absolutely no problem. The authorised service centre also does not charge me unnecessarily for services.

i use it as a going around the city car and lately have allowed my driver access to it. My wife is happy. driver is happy. i am happy!
earthian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 10:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:

2. I read in some threads that Mercedes cars in the early 2000's had quality and reliability issues. Did they improve around 2008?
1. I do think its on the higher side. Mainly because with these cars it is a hit or a miss, for the same or even a lesser price you will find Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords which are far more reliable and cheaper to maintain as well.
2. From what I understand around the late 2000s they did improve but still it is a 12yr old car.
3. You are definitely gambling. If the itch is for a used Merc at some point, I would recommend you wait for that point as post covid you might get better models for the same price.
4. Ooh you mentioned money, then you should stay away. You also need to find a reputed mechanic to deal with this as you would not want to take it to the dealer everytime because they would rip you off.
av8er is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 10:48   #12
BHPian

These matters are more of the heart than the head. I perfectly understand your state of mind. If you are going for the car, i can direct you to a very competent outside garage. He specializes in all sorts of exotics and a nice chap personally.
My take: Do an exhaustive check on the car, negotiate the price down and if all ok, go for it
car love is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 11:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Adding to GTOs recommendation, look at options to buy a pre-owned/new Lexus a few years down the lane. Those cars will be much better luxury cars to own than any German.
landcruiser123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 14:25   #14

I feel what you're going through. When I was looking for a used Superb, an acquaintance suggested to take a look at a used C220 single owner car in pristine condition having done 75000km. I trusted the guy enough to say the odo wasn't tampered. But I read up on TBHP the costs associated with fixing issues like AC Compressor and the overall cost of maintenance and upkeep and decided it isn't worth it. Add to it, the fact that in 5 years you're most likely to spend a bomb on at least one BIG issue, you're looking at ₹3 to 4 lacs over the next 5 years on maintaining it.
SkodaFan0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 14:55   #15
BHPian

Just my two cents. What matters is what you looking for exactly. If you looking for a premium brand well and fine but if you looking for a luxurious sedan I would suggest you to look for Honda Accords approx 5-8 years old.

Well maintained ones you will get them for around 5-7 lacs and with Honda's built quality trust me its a very good deal along with comfort of a luxurious sedan.
rahul_kej is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks