Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:10   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Audi A6 or Mercedes ML350?

Hi,

I have been looking at a A6 Matrix version and a ML350 both 2 years old and both covered under warranty at about similar price range. This car would be a self drive to chauffeured at equal rate. I do understand that these are different categories of vehicles.

I do need your inputs to decide which one to proceed with as to i am not certain on the long term life of them. I do want to keep them till they are 10 years old.
viana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,739
Thanked: 4,092 Times
Default re: Audi A6 or Mercedes ML350?

No brainer for me, GLE350 hands down! Why? It's for a v6, enuf said!

The A6 is not as spacious either and it's FWD is far from fun to drive
Sahil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Hayek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 4,723 Times
Default re: Audi A6 or Mercedes ML350?

Agree with Sahil. But am amazed you are getting a 2 year old GLE 350 at anywhere close to the price of a 2 year old A6. Please do check the car carefully - it seems to be too good to be true (unless the A6 owner is completely unrealistic on his price expectations).
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:06   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

A6 is 2 years old and ML is 4 years old. I did err in me earlier post. A6 has done about 10K kms and the ML about 24. i do know the owners of both cars personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
No brainer for me, GLE350 hands down! Why? It's for a v6, enuf said!

The A6 is not as spacious either and it's FWD is far from fun to drive

It is the primary reason for my interest.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd July 2020 at 20:20. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
viana is offline  
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:23   #5
BHPian
 
viper_711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 352
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Audi A6 or Mercedes ML350?

I have no knowledge of the ML350. I do own an A6 and can vouch for the car. It may not be as much fun to drive as a bimmer but is no slouch either. The airsprings make a world of a difference on BLR roads. Ownership and service have been fuss free. I have driven it long distances over the years on some holiday trips and find it satisfying to drive (not as much fun as my old fiesta 1.6) and very comfortable for a family of 4. Happy to share more if you need any specific information.
viper_711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 22:41   #6
BHPian
 
nitrogary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 185
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Audi A6 or Mercedes ML350?

Interestingly both the ML 350 and Audi A6 have air suspensions and I have heard stories of failure on both vehicles.
So having said that, I would keep 4-5 lacs aside for air suspension and other contingencies and get the ML 350. It's a gorgeous car and you get a lot more car for the money.
Your signature tells that you have a BMW sedan, so why not get the SUV this time?
Very few people get an SUV like this for its off road capability but I do enjoy the comfort and commanding presence of an SUV like the Mercedes GLE / ML.
The 350 engine is superb but thirsty. Be prepared for a heavy fuel bill and a substantial service cost as well.

Last edited by nitrogary : 5th July 2020 at 22:42.
nitrogary is offline  
Old 5th July 2020, 23:49   #7
BHPian
 
mpp19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 32
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Audi A6 or Mercedes ML350?

It's hard to advice as we do not know your personal preferences. But for me, a SUV is always preferred over a sedan and both these are well known brands.

As you personally know both the owners, I would say 'do what your heart says' and not by what others say. You will be happy that it's your decision and not influenced by others.
mpp19 is offline  
Old 6th July 2020, 06:16   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Gurugram.
Posts: 103
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viana View Post
Hi,



I have been looking at a A6 Matrix version and a ML350 both 2 years old and both covered under warranty at about similar price range. This car would be a self drive to chauffeured at equal rate. I do understand that these are different categories of vehicles.



I do need your inputs to decide which one to proceed with as to i am not certain on the long term life of them. I do want to keep them till they are 10 years old.

I would go for the A6, simply because it still looks up to date meanwhile the ML looks too old now. The same thing can be said for the interiors, the Merc looks old and plain and the Audi is much better especially with the amazing BOSE speakers inside. I've known a few people who've had these cars and both are fairly reliable but the Mercedes would be more expensive to maintain.
aman-bh is offline  
Old 6th July 2020, 12:42   #9
BHPian
 
viper_711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 352
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Audi A6 or Mercedes ML350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Interestingly both the ML 350 and Audi A6 have air suspensions and I have heard stories of failure on both vehicles.
So having said that, I would keep 4-5 lacs aside for air suspension and other contingencies and get the ML 350. .
I have had one air suspension bellow fail on me in 8 years. IIRC replacement cost was about 40k. I had the whole suspension overhauled with all rubber bushes and components replaced at 7 years (preventive in nature) This cost 60K and the car rides like new now.
viper_711 is offline  
Old 7th July 2020, 15:19   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Audi A6 or Mercedes ML350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Interestingly both the ML 350 and Audi A6 have air suspensions and I have heard stories of failure on both vehicles.
So having said that, I would keep 4-5 lacs aside for air suspension and other contingencies and get the ML 350. It's a gorgeous car and you get a lot more car for the money.
Your signature tells that you have a BMW sedan, so why not get the SUV this time?
Very few people get an SUV like this for its off road capability but I do enjoy the comfort and commanding presence of an SUV like the Mercedes GLE / ML.
The 350 engine is superb but thirsty. Be prepared for a heavy fuel bill and a substantial service cost as well.
The ML does have a service package and warranty still running for about 2 more years with options to continue them.

I am leaning towards the ML since it will be a different one to the ones already present in the garage and also its presence. My concern however with the ML would be long term reliability since in plan to keep it for atleast 5 years since models have been updated as such. The A6 with its part sharing with the entire VW group should be less of a headache is the parallel thought i am fighting.

Another option that came up surprisingly today is the E250 again in same price bracket done less than 20K kms. Now really in a dilemma
viana is offline  
Old 7th July 2020, 18:02   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 697 Times
Default Re: Audi A6 or Mercedes ML350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viana View Post
I have been looking at a A6 Matrix version and a ML350 both 2 years old and both covered under warranty at about similar price range. This car would be a self drive to chauffeured at equal rate. I do understand that these are different categories of vehicles.
The more pertinent question is what do you need the vehicle for. If you don't need the space and ground clearance, I would personally prefer a sedan, in this case the A6 or E-class. However, you do already have a 3 series. Am just curious whether you would be willing to sell that if you purchase a sedan. If not, do you need a bigger sedan or do you need an SUV. Personally, from the three options, I would pick the E-class.
pganapathy is offline  
Old 7th July 2020, 20:40   #12
BHPian
 
nitrogary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 185
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Audi A6 or Mercedes ML350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
I have had one air suspension bellow fail on me in 8 years. IIRC replacement cost was about 40k. I had the whole suspension overhauled with all rubber bushes and components replaced at 7 years (preventive in nature) This cost 60K and the car rides like new now.
Very nice and comforting to know the repair costs are decent. I have two friends - one with S class and one with a GL 350 who had to replace air suspensions on their cars. My cost numbers were based on what they shared. I assume you have given the Audi A6 costs which is a hands down winner in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viana View Post
The ML does have a service package and warranty still running for about 2 more years with options to continue them.

I am leaning towards the ML since it will be a different one to the ones already present in the garage and also its presence. My concern however with the ML would be long term reliability since in plan to keep it for atleast 5 years since models have been updated as such. The A6 with its part sharing with the entire VW group should be less of a headache is the parallel thought i am fighting.

Another option that came up surprisingly today is the E250 again in same price bracket done less than 20K kms. Now really in a dilemma
What a lovely dilemma to have! Between the Mercs, I'd still go with the ML. I suppose the GLE and ML have comparable interiors to the E class of the previous generation. W213 has really nice interiors and is very comfort oriented and a newer car. Even so, the 250 trim will have the 4 cylinder engine against the ML's V6. I don't think there are many reliability issues with the ML 350. Again, your downsides are running costs and service costs with MB. Expect 1-1.5% of new car cost to be the yearly service bill.
I am thinking the cars you are looking at are in the 30-35 lac range (given that you are in Bangalore, and car prices there are high) else I would have said 25-30 lac range anywhere else.
Will still stick to the ML despite a newer E class option that you have.

May I also suggest that you look at the X5 or Volvo XC 60? In these difficult times you may get a lovely deal by chance, you never know!
nitrogary is offline  
Old 8th July 2020, 00:54   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
The more pertinent question is what do you need the vehicle for. If you don't need the space and ground clearance, I would personally prefer a sedan, in this case the A6 or E-class. However, you do already have a 3 series. Am just curious whether you would be willing to sell that if you purchase a sedan. If not, do you need a bigger sedan or do you need an SUV. Personally, from the three options, I would pick the E-class.
I would retain the 3 series.

I have grown up on a diet of OHC VTEC and Lancer SFXi in my twenties and the feeling of sedan is still very comforting to the mind. As a matter of fact the jeep happens to be the second SUV ish car in my house for almost 20 years. I will always lean towards a sedan anytime without batting an eyelid. However the e advantages of an ML in terms of presence and value is something that also needs to be valued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Very nice and comforting to know the repair costs are decent. I have two friends - one with S class and one with a GL 350 who had to replace air suspensions on their cars. My cost numbers were based on what they shared. I assume you have given the Audi A6 costs which is a hands down winner in this area.



What a lovely dilemma to have! Between the Mercs, I'd still go with the ML. I suppose the GLE and ML have comparable interiors to the E class of the previous generation. W213 has really nice interiors and is very comfort oriented and a newer car. Even so, the 250 trim will have the 4 cylinder engine against the ML's V6. I don't think there are many reliability issues with the ML 350. Again, your downsides are running costs and service costs with MB. Expect 1-1.5% of new car cost to be the yearly service bill.
I am thinking the cars you are looking at are in the 30-35 lac range (given that you are in Bangalore, and car prices there are high) else I would have said 25-30 lac range anywhere else.
Will still stick to the ML despite a newer E class option that you have.

May I also suggest that you look at the X5 or Volvo XC 60? In these difficult times you may get a lovely deal by chance, you never know!

The interiors of the mercs are almost in line with the generation and do look good on both.

Yes the price bracket is around 35-40 lakhs roughly. The E also comes with a service package for the next two years.

Just another spanner in the works is the S90 being offered to me today with a smaller budget than mine but a car maintained pristinely and about 9K on the ODO. I do like the pics of the car and am yet to see it.

Sometimes the options keep coming.

Last edited by ajmat : 8th July 2020 at 07:03.
viana is offline  
Old 9th July 2020, 09:13   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 1,063
Thanked: 697 Times
Default Re: Audi A6 or Mercedes ML350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viana View Post
However the e advantages of an ML in terms of presence and value is something that also needs to be valued.
I personally don't understand this. To be fair, my 5 car dream garage only includes super sedans, sports cars and supercars.

The Volvo is also a pretty decent car, though service is a concern for that.
pganapathy is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks