Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2020, 20:23   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying a 1-year old Mercedes C-Class at 40% off

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj.itm View Post
These are pretty tempting. Infact i saw some reasonable deals on Big boy toyz as well. The only thing I am worried about in used cars is them being flood damaged cars. Unless, ofcourse, there is a demo model/stock car that the dealership is offering. That is the closest to brand new car..
To be honest, from my experience for this segment I would rather get a pre-worshipped car within warranty which has been bought and owned by one single owner and run it through some background checks, than a demo car which has been 'tested' and abused at multiple levels by thousands of prospective buyers and sales reps themselves. Nowadays the diagnostics and the service history are accessible easily by all dealerships, plus they also do a thorough evaluation and history pull for you if you want (for a nominal sum - I think I paid something around 4k).

Generally a person who can afford a 50+ lac car will not skimp on bare basics like timely service or keep the car in a horrible shape in the first few years. A demo car may look spanking clean on the outside but may accumulate problems quicker due to the sheer pattern of usage. I have personally seen execs encouraging prospects to go fast over bumps or horrible patches to show bottoming out, deliberately test hard acceleration and what not. I know the showrooms throw in a lot of discounts and warranty extensions to increase the goodwill, but you'd rather have the car be used by 1 responsible pair of hands over few years, than hundreds of pairs of hands who walk out of the showroom after 15 minutes of abuse

Last edited by KarthikK : 15th July 2020 at 20:31.
KarthikK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 20:38   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These are pretty tempting. Infact i saw some reasonable deals on Big boy toyz as well. The only thing I am worried about in used cars is them being flood damaged cars. Unless, ofcourse, there is a demo model/stock car that the dealership is offering. That is the closest to brand new car..
In this case, these are BS4 vehicles that were registered in the name of the authorized showroom before the lockdown, and are being sold by the showroom.
Date of manufacturing will mostly be after monsoon 2019 so chances of flooding are unlikely.
Chances of any hanky panky is doubtful, and they will be under warranty from March 20 onwards + you should be able to get BSI & Warranty packages for 5+ years to cover any maintenance issues.
lamborghini is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 07:39   #18

GTO - I’m an unabashed fan of your insights and wisdom in the realm of the auto sector in India. Your commentary on the ‘driving into the sunset’ below just hit the spot. There’s a certain elan with which you curve the corners of the auto landscape that makes me think “flow” - if you’re familiar with the works of Csikszentmihalyi. I’ve taken the liberty of messaging you privately on social media, for a take on an important matter. Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you were in CH, it would be a no-brainer deal. However, you definitely need to do an analysis of the total cost (including transfer & Pune road tax), so you know whether it's worth it. Your friend is selling at a low price probably because that's what the Mercedes dealer offered him and he's in a hurry to sell.

Also, while I understand that its 40% off the cost of a new one, you need to check what your friend actually paid. 10-lakh rupee discounts aren't that rare in some situations (end of the year, old stock, test-drive car etc.), so if he got that kind of a discount, you are actually getting it for 20% lesser than he paid. Find out what is the exact on-road amount he paid.

If the deal makes sense, you still need to follow all the steps listed in our used car buying article, including a pre-purchase inspection. I like buying cars like these which are still in factory warranty. Go ahead and get that 6-year extended warranty, then drive off into the sunset smiling. The last 3 pre-owned cars I bought have all been in factory warranty .
Lamborghini - that’s a very helpful post from you, and some great sleuthing work in identifying some probables.

In your experience, what kind of further negotiations would be possible in this case? Seems to me that a dealer sitting on BSIV variants, which had to be bought by the dealership owing to Mar 2020 deadline, in slow-moving covid times - should have plenty of incentive to get this inventory off his books. N’est ce pas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you're ok skipping the petrol variants & are open to diesel, there are some great deals on 2020 March registered brand new BMWs sold by BMW dealers and with active warranty - starting March 2020.

1) BMW X1 20D X-Line: Could be a great upgrade from the Creta, and has the advantage of GC too for Pune roads
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=4&isP=false

2) BMW 320d Luxury Line:
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=2&isP=false

3) BMW 520D Luxury Line: This could be a great buy if you are able to negotiate heavily - it's BS4, and the Facelift is on the way.
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=3&isP=false

I am sure once you discuss and are ready to close, you can negotiate even more on the pricing and maybe even get BSI thrown in to reduce your maintenance.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th July 2020 at 11:32. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
i.milapsan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 11:50   #19
BHPian

Creta is a fairly spacious car to the best of my knowledge - also has zero ground clearance issues.

C class is low and will feel cramped - just be cautious. The attraction and fascination will go away in 2 or 3 months, but if the car isn't comfortable, you will regret it everyday.

If you would have bought a C class anyway, then it makes sense.
vivekrvcse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 14:54   #20
BHPian

During the later half of 2019, Mecedes had become extremely aggressive with discounts as overall sales were dwindling.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...in-2019-415544

The discounts on GLC were even more aggressive with new model just around the corner at the time, and have heard of a few deals going for 45L! I have however heard that MB managed to liquidate all its stock of MY19, courtesy these discounts. However, due to Covid-19, I expect those discounts to be back.

Interestingly, MB has just shifted its India headquarter from Chennai to Pune. And due to this shift and laying off of certain staff, Mercedes is selling its own company-owned vehicles. Most of the models are relatively new and consisting of GLC and GLE. I will update the link here as soon as the next batch of vehicles arrive for auction. Since you are also in Pune, it might work out for you.

Since they are owned by MB itself, they are impeccably maintained, and might give you some sort of trust. Nothing like an almost-new, in warranty pre-worshipped vehicle.
hridaygandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 15:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
One of my old colleagues is selling off his 2019 Merc C Class 220D, since he is moving to Australia. Now I have been eyeing an upgrade to my Creta for quite some time now and the Merc seems like a jaw dropping deal. The quoted price is about 40% lesser than the new one.

What are my dos and don'ts before I take a decision to go/no go..this is the first time I am looking for a used car..but the desire to own a Merc at a time when you want to upgrade and to get a deal like this, I must admit, I am out right tempted. Please advise!! Few facts -

- CH registration, I stay in Pune. Will I have to pay roadtax again?
- 2019 model, bs6 compliant. 4k on the odometer.
- Insurance valid till September 2020
- The asking price is quite lesser when compared to some other used car websites.
- New C220d otr price is 55+. Does anyone know of any deals/ offers that can bring the price down enough to get me to buy a new one only..

Oh and yeah, this is my first post ever on this forum that I have been following for over years to get information on cars/ travel routes etc. Thanks to all of you who make this a trusted and perhaps value driven group.
Beautiful choice of wheels Anuj, I also picked up my c220d last year

Few things to check
Which variant Prime or progressive? I believe it's progressive coz OTR is 55 L
Manufacturing Year is 2018 or 19?
Extended warranty is included or not?
The asking price is definitely bit on the lower side. Inspite of that lower quote its still not sold?
Since you would have to pay for Road tax etc. It suddenly doesn't seem to make sense. Else it's a great price at Approx 33 L all inclusive
Even if u get something for 35-36L on road with MH12/14 that's a better bet
Old 19th July 2020, 16:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

A friend in Calcutta is selling off his car for a sweet deal due to an urgency.

Mercedes Benz C220d Progressive
600 kms done
Mojave Silver
WB Registered
Mint Condition
Asking 37-38 lakhs

If anyone is interested, it is a very sweet deal.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 16:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
One of my old colleagues is selling off his 2019 Merc C Class 220D, since he is moving to Australia. Now I have been eyeing an upgrade to my Creta for quite some time now and the Merc seems like a jaw dropping deal. The quoted price is about 40% lesser than the new one.

What are my dos and don'ts before I take a decision to go/no go..this is the first time I am looking for a used car..but the desire to own a Merc at a time when you want to upgrade and to get a deal like this, I must admit, I am out right tempted. Please advise!! Few facts -

- The asking price is quite lesser when compared to some other used car websites. .
Seems like an incredible offer. 40% depreciation in an year. No wonder luxury cars loose their value so quickly. Sometimes I wonder does it even make sense to go for a new car that costs 25 lacs+. I guess only exception is a Toyota Fortuner which is ridiculously priced even in the used car market.

These luxury car brands offer such incredible cars and they go dirt cheap in the used market. Makes for a perfect VFM proposition.

I personally feel the deal you are getting is perfect.
1) Car is owned by one of your acquaintance.
2) Dirt cheap price.
3) Less driven.
4) Manufacturer warranty is still available.

Only issue is re-registering in Pune. If that doesn't cost you a bomb, I'd suggest you take the plunge and get the car home.
sanyog26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 08:23   #24
BHPian

Quote:

- The asking price is quite lesser when compared to some other used car websites.
- New C220d otr price is 55+. Does anyone know of any deals/ offers that can bring the price down enough to get me to buy a new one only..

Yes, you have to pay Road tax again and re-assign the vehicle for your own safety. If you are able to Convince the Seller on obtaining the Road Tax Refund, then you get the Price further down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
After you pay the road-tax in Pune, technically it is possible to claim the road-tax that was paid in CH (pro-rata basis). I don't know how difficult or easy the process in reality.
Refund of Road Tax is Possible u/s 7(3)(i) of the Motor Vehicle Act. The Process is pretty Much Simple if the Road Tax has been Paid under Vahan 4 system. I sold my BMW X1 2017 Model in 2019, and the seller got it registered in his name in Jan 2020. Thereafter I Obtained a B Extract and applied for a Refund of Road Tax on March 10, 2020. The file was not Processed till June 10th 2020 as no one in the RTO was aware of the Formalities and also due to lockdown. I personally met the RTO on June 12th and all paperwork and Approvals were completed on July 11th and the Order was Payout was sent to the District Treasury on July 13th. The Payment was supposed to come into my account within 3 days but once again we are under lockdown. Hopefully by This weekend / Month end the Payment should be Through. The refund table is attached herewith. and can range between 93% to 81%. in My case the refund is about 5.9 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyog26 View Post

Only issue is re-registering in Pune. If that doesn't cost you a bomb, I'd suggest you take the plunge and get the car home.
If the OP handholds the seller in the Road Tax Refund Route, then he can get a very sweet deal!!
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a 1-year old Mercedes C-Class at 40% off-img_1566.jpeg  

Last edited by Sunilrj : 20th July 2020 at 08:32.
Sunilrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 13:19   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.milapsan View Post

In your experience, what kind of further negotiations would be possible in this case? Seems to me that a dealer sitting on BSIV variants, which had to be bought by the dealership owing to Mar 2020 deadline, in slow-moving covid times - should have plenty of incentive to get this inventory off his books. N’est ce pas?
That's precisely what it is.
I'd try to push these dealers for another 5L off if I could - I remember seeing a post where another member found an X1 for 41 OTR Pune in June End.

As another member said - do give the X1 a shot. Coming from the Creta, the 3/C may be a little too low which could be a little unnerving given the larger speed-breakers & general road work on the highways.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 03:20   #26
BHPian

The deal seems really sweet unless there are any hidden details you might be missing. As this person is known to you, there is little to worry on that front.

My brother who recently shifted from New Delhi to Bangalore brought along with him his 3 cars which were registered in 3 different states in india and so far has had no issues in the last 2 years. The locations being, HR, PB and DL. you can always use these cars in Pune unless you want to avoid any probable issues which may creep in the course of ownership
Old 21st July 2020, 08:17   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
my friend owns a CH registered Audi A4 for the last 7 years in Delhi and there have been no complaints regarding the registration.
Cops up North, especially in Delhi, UP, HP and Haryana are much liberal when it comes to driving a car registered somewhere else in their state. They normally don't give a damn, until you try to be over smart. I have driven my cousin't KA (BLR) registered Rapid multiple times to multiple places, not even once the cops have waved to stop and show them the docs.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 18:59   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I saw the thread regarding purchase of a used Mercedes C-Class which has a Chandigarh Union Territory registration. Just wanted to share some insights on the same. The vehicle road tax can be recovered from the RTO whenever the car is transferred to another state.

Yes, this is possible and even I have done it! So basically, the RTO has a calculation formula for road tax to be deducted every year of when the vehicle was operated in that state. Example road tax (Rs X) which is valid for 15 years has an internal formula - Rs X / 15 approx for every year.

Then let us say after 5 years, the car is registered in another state - example Maharashtra. The new road tax on this vehicle for Maharashtra state will not be calculated on the 15-year period, since 5-year life of this vehicle was in another state. So after needful deductions, the above tax has to be paid in Maharashtra based on the stated formula, but as a used car being transferred from another state. So not the full road tax amount that the RTO in Maharashtra charges for a new vehicle.

Of course, before the vehicle is registered in Maharashtra, an NOC from the Chandigarh RTO is required. Then once the vehicle registration is completed in Maharashtra and details entered in the RC card / book (and these days even Vahaan portal), the same has to be submitted to the Chandigarh RTO, and then claim the balance road tax (15 - 5 = 10 years worth of tax paid). This is a cumbersome process, but yes, it is possible and happens. In automotive OEMs, this is a regular practice. The cars registered for media test drives are then sold to near & dear ones of the top brasses and then such a process is followed as the near & dear ones are seldom in the same states as where the company car was registered.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 19:23   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a known process GTO. I think it has even been discussed at length is many other threads, most of them dealing with Karnataka state since movement of traffic was high their thanks to the IT industry boom and associated sky high road tax rates in Karnataka. But the process is tedious and not easy. I am unsure of the effect of digitalisation on this process and if it has become a bit easier.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 07:58   #30
BHPian

I would not say its a mouthwatering deal.
I ve seen 4-6 months old 2-5k km driven sedans offered at 35%off their on road discounted price. Seen cars like honda city and ciaz in both petrol and diesel avatars. Not demo cars. A city zx that was jan manufactured, end feb registered and being offered in august with 4k kms on odo.
Have seen 3 and C via their official used car division being offered slightly above what your friend is askig but they kept calling us for next 10 days even after our counter offer was few L lesser than your mentioned magic number. For the price you are mentioning, you might find a 3/C/X1 or pricier cars in your state, with warranty.
One shoud be reminded that very very few people buy cars in full payment. Financing is still the most prevalent way. So if you paid 5L for this car down, financed the remainig 25L at 15%, you emis would be pretty much equal to getting 35 -40 L loan at 7-8%( rough calculation). Still short of 55L but may cover the discounted rpuce and also saves you hassles of re-registration and refund.This means for the same amount of outlay, you can get a brand new car. I d say its a good deal if its 30%off the Discounted OTR.

Most Viewed