Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2020, 22:56   #1

Buying a 1-year old Mercedes C-Class at 40% off

One of my old colleagues is selling off his 2019 Merc C Class 220D, since he is moving to Australia. Now I have been eyeing an upgrade to my Creta for quite some time now and the Merc seems like a jaw dropping deal. The quoted price is about 40% lesser than the new one.

What are my dos and don'ts before I take a decision to go/no go..this is the first time I am looking for a used car..but the desire to own a Merc at a time when you want to upgrade and to get a deal like this, I must admit, I am out right tempted. Please advise!! Few facts -

- CH registration, I stay in Pune. Will I have to pay roadtax again?
- 2019 model, bs6 compliant. 4k on the odometer.
- Insurance valid till September 2020
- The asking price is quite lesser when compared to some other used car websites.
- New C220d otr price is 55+. Does anyone know of any deals/ offers that can bring the price down enough to get me to buy a new one only..

Oh and yeah, this is my first post ever on this forum that I have been following for over years to get information on cars/ travel routes etc. Thanks to all of you who make this a trusted and perhaps value driven group.

Last edited by GTO : 12th July 2020 at 07:50. Reason: typo
anuj.itm is offline   (17) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 11th July 2020, 23:35   #2
BHPian

re: Buying a 1-year old Mercedes C-Class at 40% off

1) yes, you will have to pay nearly full road tax in the current state.
2) There is thread for new car price check, you can post your question about latest deals in that thread.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 07:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj.itm View Post
l

- insurance valid till September 2020

- The asking price is quite lesser when compared to some other used car websites.

- new c220d otr price is 55+. Does anyone know of any deals/ offers that can bring the price down enuf to get me to buy a new one only..

I have seen a demo 8k run 2019 C220d progressive BS6 available for 34L ex-showroom.

I do not think you have to pay road tax again, my friend owns a CH registered Audi A4 for the last 7 years in Delhi and there have been no complaints regarding the registration. But I am not too sure.
aman-bh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 07:48   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying a 1-year old Mercedes C-Class at 40% off

If you were in CH, it would be a no-brainer deal. However, you definitely need to do an analysis of the total cost (including transfer & Pune road tax), so you know whether it's worth it. Your friend is selling at a low price probably because that's what the Mercedes dealer offered him and he's in a hurry to sell.

Also, while I understand that its 40% off the cost of a new one, you need to check what your friend actually paid. 10-lakh rupee discounts aren't that rare in some situations (end of the year, old stock, test-drive car etc.), so if he got that kind of a discount, you are actually getting it for 20% lesser than he paid. Find out what is the exact on-road amount he paid.

If the deal makes sense, you still need to follow all the steps listed in our used car buying article, including a pre-purchase inspection. I like buying cars like these which are still in factory warranty. Go ahead and get that 6-year extended warranty, then drive off into the sunset smiling. The last 3 pre-owned cars I bought have all been in factory warranty .
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 16:31   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Known trusted car, I'd say go for it.

Budget paying the MH road tax from your pocket, but do line up a trusted agent to collect the refunded road tax from CH.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 22:17   #6
MUJ
BHPian

I think it's a good deal. But as @GTO has mentioned do check out what your friend has actually paid for the car. Also do work out the calculations before transferring it from CH to MH. In my opinion the Road tax refund from CH will be a bit of a hassle. Otherwise the C220D is a great machine and the deal is a good one.
Old 13th July 2020, 16:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

You will have to re-register the car & pay 15% road tax on depreciated value so do the math and check out what the total cost on road would be - I reckon should be around 4-5 lakhs easily.
If after adding in this cost, if the price is still sensible and fairly below market value I would consider it.

Regarding discounts on the C-Class: Check with the dealer - depending on stock availability, discounts in lakhs are quite easily had.

Just food for thought - some BMW dealers may offer you a sweet deal on a NEW but registered BS4 X1 / 320D as well.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 17:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One of my old colleagues is selling off his 2019 Merc C Class 220D, since he is moving to Australia. Now I have been eyeing an upgrade to my Creta for quite some time now and the Merc seems like a jaw dropping deal. The quoted price is about 40% lesser than the new one.
Superficially the deal sounds great. Almost new car, hardly run, known seller, 40% off the sticker price - What more can one ask for?

But you need to keep the points mentioned above my GTO and other members in your mind.

1. You will have to pay the road tax again. It is not possible to cheat the system in MH and KA. Delhi is different since it has so many outstation cars and hence cops cannot stop on basis of this.

2. The 40% discount may amount to less eventually since he would have got discounts. Still I would say if you have a ball park figure in your mind that you are willing to spend on a car, then no harm in once checking with dealers in Pune and Mumbai for deals on brand new cars. That should give you a better insight as sometimes there may be hardly a few lakh difference between a heavily discounted but new car vs an older car considering the additional road tax, NOC and shipping costs.

3. If you decide against buying it, please forward me the details of the car if you can. A friend wants to buy a Mercedes and since here we do not need to worry about the road tax, it may work out to be a good deal. I can be reached at dr.mohitg@yahoo.com.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 17:20   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
here we do not need to worry about the road tax, it may work out to be a good deal.
One will need Address proof and the Chandigarh administration is strict. Easiest is to get a Rent deed but the owner of the property has to be present in the cour himself. Tenant, need not go though. RC is sent via speed post only and never hand-delivered.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th July 2020 at 17:29.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 18:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

One will need Address proof and the Chandigarh administration is strict. Easiest is to get a Rent deed but the owner of the property has to be present in the cour himself. Tenant, need not go though. RC is sent via speed post only and never hand-delivered.
Sir the friend in question has a property in Chandigarh. So it would be an intracity transfer only.
Old 13th July 2020, 19:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

After you pay the road-tax in Pune, technically it is possible to claim the road-tax that was paid in CH (pro-rata basis). I don't know how difficult or easy the process in reality.
Old 14th July 2020, 18:10   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

- Insurance valid till September 2020
- New C220d otr price is 55+. Does anyone know of any deals/ offers that can bring the price down enough to get me to buy a new one only..
On the face of it, this looks like an attractive deal.

The road tax paid on the new car in Chandigarh is refundable on a pro rata basis. For this, the car has to be registered in Pune , Maharashtra (MH 12/14) first of all. And copies of the Chandigarh RTO NOC, receipt of registration fees paid and road tax paid there in CH for new, RC smartcard copy from CH alongwith copies of RC smartcard from Pune, roadtax paid again in Pune will all have to be submitted to the CH RTO with a covering letter. It is better if a friend personally pursues the matter in CH. Next alternative is an agent in CH who will ask for his fees. I had done this job for a colleague's vehicle that was registered in Maharashtra and was transported to and re-registered in Tamil Nadu. The owner was the same person though here. The RTO here refunded the life time road tax paid on a pro rata basis ,deducting an amount for it's years in Maharashtra with a banker's cheque in the owner's name, but it took more than a year and about four visits.

The insurance is as good as expired as September 2020 is not far away.

If you buy at the 40% depreciated price, be sure of another 40 % depreciation within the next three to four years, as these brands depreciate faster compared to the regular commuter cars of popular brands.

But lastly all said and done, a Mercedes is a Mercedes. So many cars are made to look like a Mercedes, but none is a Mercedes !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th July 2020 at 18:12.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:54   #13

Appreciate the responses guys. I have been warned against that being a flood damaged and now refurbished car. Well, may not be true but the whole mindset is different now.

Anyways it would have costed me around 40 Lakhs with the new lifetime tax and registration.

Have shifted my focus towards buying a new merc c 200 or bmw 330i M sport. With some stunning yet realistic discounts, I might get a new one. Does anyone have any Intel on existing discounts on these models during this lockdown Era?

I am okay to wait untill Diwali or Covid-19 end, whichever happens first, if that time of the year has better offers on the table.
Old 15th July 2020, 12:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate the responses guys. I have been warned against that being a flood damaged and now refurbished car. Well, may not be true but the whole mindset is different now.

Anyways it would have costed me around 40 Lakhs with the new lifetime tax and registration.

Have shifted my focus towards buying a new merc c 200 or bmw 330i M sport. With some stunning yet realistic discounts, I might get a new one. Does anyone have any Intel on existing discounts on these models during this lockdown Era?

I am okay to wait untill Diwali or Covid-19 end, whichever happens first, if that time of the year has better offers on the table.
If you're ok skipping the petrol variants & are open to diesel, there are some great deals on 2020 March registered brand new BMWs sold by BMW dealers and with active warranty - starting March 2020.

1) BMW X1 20D X-Line: Could be a great upgrade from the Creta, and has the advantage of GC too for Pune roads
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=4&isP=false

2) BMW 320d Luxury Line:
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=2&isP=false

3) BMW 520D Luxury Line: This could be a great buy if you are able to negotiate heavily - it's BS4, and the Facelift is on the way.
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=3&isP=false

I am sure once you discuss and are ready to close, you can negotiate even more on the pricing and maybe even get BSI thrown in to reduce your maintenance.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 14:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If you're ok skipping the petrol variants & are open to diesel, there are some great deals on 2020 March registered brand new BMWs sold by BMW dealers and with active warranty - starting March 2020.

1) BMW X1 20D X-Line: Could be a great upgrade from the Creta, and has the advantage of GC too for Pune roads
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=4&isP=false

2) BMW 320d Luxury Line:
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=2&isP=false

3) BMW 520D Luxury Line: This could be a great buy if you are able to negotiate heavily - it's BS4, and the Facelift is on the way.
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...rk=3&isP=false

I am sure once you discuss and are ready to close, you can negotiate even more on the pricing and maybe even get BSI thrown in to reduce your maintenance.
These are pretty tempting. Infact i saw some reasonable deals on Big boy toyz as well. The only thing I am worried about in used cars is them being flood damaged cars. Unless, ofcourse, there is a demo model/stock car that the dealership is offering. That is the closest to brand new car..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks