Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Audi A8 8 3.57%
Mercedes S-Class 137 61.16%
BMW 7-Series 48 21.43%
Lexus LS 27 12.05%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 1.79%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2020, 16:19   #1
Team-BHP Support

Audi A8 vs Mercedes S-Class vs BMW 7-Series vs others

Audi A8 vs Mercedes S-Class vs BMW 7-Series vs others-audi-a8l.jpg

Audi A8L
Audi A8 vs Mercedes S-Class vs BMW 7-Series vs others-img_5329.jpg

What you'll like:

• Massive size and unmistakable Audi styling
• Futuristic interiors. Packed with technology & 23-speaker Bang and Olufsen ICE
• Luxurious rear seat. Has a foot massager too!
• Fast V6 turbo-petrol; 335 horses on tap
• AWD gives it phenomenal grip, whether on dry tarmac or wet
• Feels smaller than it is while driving. Fun to drive on the open road
• Safety kit includes 10 airbags & a plethora of driving aids

What you won't:

• Simply overpriced. CBU pricing places it higher than the S-Class & 7-Series
• Diesel option is sadly unavailable. The other Germans offer 6-cylinder diesels
• While the air suspension is competent, it doesn't have that "magical ride" of the S-Class
• A 4-seater (not 5) due to the individual seats at the rear
• Many controls feel the same as the cheaper Audis
• Understated looks. Most people spending this kind of money want more attention to go with it

Link to Review

Mercedes S-Class

What you'll like:

• The best luxury sedan on sale in India. Period
• Cabin is incredibly opulent & comfy. It's quite the royal experience!
• Superb new inline-6 diesel is paired to a smooth 9-speed gearbox
• Air suspension offers a plush ride & excellent road manners
• Loaded to the gills with technology, equipment & gizmos
• 5-star safety rating & radar-based systems. Among the safest cars ever built

What you won't:

• No memory or cooled seats at the front. Seriously, Mercedes?
• Cost of ownership is only for the 'money-no-object' personalities
• Useable boot space is poor (no wheel well for the spare tyre)
• Owners report electronic niggles. Also, concerns over the air suspension's long-term reliability
• Not as much fun to drive as the BMW 7-Series
• Sadly, Magic Body Control is still not offered on the Indian S-Class

Link to Preview Link

The 2018 Facelift

BMW 7-Series
Audi A8 vs Mercedes S-Class vs BMW 7-Series vs others-bmw-7.jpg

Link to Launch Thread

Lexus LS
Audi A8 vs Mercedes S-Class vs BMW 7-Series vs others-lexuslsgalleryext09d.jpg

Link to Launch Thread

Last edited by Aditya : 27th July 2020 at 23:24.
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 16:23   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Audi A8 vs Mercedes S-Class vs BMW 7-Series vs others

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Luxury Car Section. Thanks for sharing!

My vote goes for the S-Class. Its luxury & elegance is without doubt the best in class. Mercedes has truly hit it out of the park with the W222.

The 7-Series is a close 2nd; will be more fun to drive and surely the more reliable too. But looks are important to me and I just cannot pick that ugly grille over the majestic S-Class.

The A8 is also a mean sedan to drive on the open road. It handles the driving pleasure + backseat comfort balance really well, and the design is cleaner than the BMW / Lexus.

The Lexus isn't my kind of car at all. Sure, it'll be the most reliable, but the Germans now offer an acceptable to good level of reliability. There is no way I could live with the Lexus' styling or its boring driving experience.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2020 at 16:26.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 16:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

I was initially tempted to pick the S class for having the most feel-good quotient and the trademark ride quality. On second thoughts, I'll pick the 7 series if I had to pick between these options today. It is one of the best balances between keeping both the driver and the people in the back seat happy in many aspects, and this is especially important if the owner occasionally wants to drive and have fun with the car on open roads, while also being able to use it chauffeur driven at other times. It is also stuffed to the gills with all the gizmos and the overall reliability and maintenance will be easier than the S over a long term duration. That 7 series grill is an extremely ugly blemish, but maybe considering the entire package I will swallow my pride and ignore it .

I'd skip the A8 and Lexus since they lack the road presence of the other two cars in my opinion.
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 16:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

I'd skip the A8 and Lexus since they lack the road presence of the other two cars in my opinion.
Actually, you'd be surprised about the lexus. It's got good road presence. Before the lockdown, i saw this LS500h driving in front of me and man, is it huge! It actually looks kind of mean.

I do agree about the Audi. If you've seen 1 Audi sedan, you've pretty much seen them all.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 17:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

With the all new S around the corner - it would get my vote for someone who is interested in a long-term purchase (unless they offer some splendid discounts).
In terms of presence, and comfort - it seems to be the best in segment; and I am sure the all new model would be a leap ahead. The S / Maybach S is a car I hope to gift my parents!

The 7 series gets the next vote : it would be my pick for a few reasons
- well priced after discounts
- I've been a passenger in a 7 with an enthusiastic driver behind the wheels, and boy it seemed to have an exemplary ride & handling balance
- Somehow, I expect this to be easier & better to maintain. Our E60 5 series had fewer rattles, niggles, and issues than our W211 E Class; and the same holds true for our F30 3 series v/s the W205 C Class
- It's a lot more youthful inside out & a lot more understated relatively speaking which is a big plus!

The A8, LS - Honestly, they are going to be duds in the market due to their price compared to the more established BMW & Mercedes brands. The LS has it worse as the Maybach S560 is a mere Octavia away in terms of pricing..

EDIT: Just saw the other option - I have to say the Range Rover seems like a good option given our road conditions, especially the Maybach rivaling LWB

Last edited by lamborghini : 28th July 2020 at 17:56.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 18:19   #6
BHPian

Voted for the 7 Series. The car seems to satisfy the needs for the chauffeur driven as well as the driver. I just love the engines and quality of BMW cars. The 7 it is for me.
I had also read somewhere that out of the 3 biggies, it's the BMW that's easier to maintain.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 22:14   #7
BHPian

I'm a big S-Class guy myself, but seeing the "what you won't like" list makes me shift teams. BMW 7-Series all the way!

I was lucky enough to spot the 7 a few times and I gotta say – the grille looks amazing. I was very skeptical when the leaked pics first surfaced, but the larger grille adds a lot of character IMO. The hybrid powertrain adds to the appeal.

Rank number two would be a tie between the A8 and S-Class. I love the Audi's styling. Managed to see the new A6 a few days ago and it had immense road presence to be honest. I can only imagine how fab the A8 must look like.

My last pick is the LS. Not because I don't like it, but because it just doesn't make a lot of sense at that price. I love the looks and its road presence, but the premium pricing is far too premium for me to make sense of the deal.

Realistically speaking though, if I were in the market for a luxo barge, I'd probably go the luxury SUV route as they make a lot more sense in a country like ours where road conditions are not ideal.
AnInternetUser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 08:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

The S is a great machine. A brilliant model by the brand! Such grace! But it is now too long in the tooth, 7 years? So, no. And does the inside of the S creak like all the new cars from Mercedes? I guess not given the price point, but I am curious to know.

And talking about age and grace brings us to the new 7. There is no way I am paying money to buy a car that ugly! I would sell it ASAP even if I get it for free!

Lexus is a strict no no! I like to drive my cars. And I am emotionally invested in cars. So, the brand doesn't do it for me. Unless of course we are talking about the LFA. No car has been able to push that one out from my fantasy garage ever since I first heard it sing! Coming back to the topic, Predator is one of my all time favorite movies, but there is no way I will have a poster of that on my bedroom wall. Same goes for the garage.

That brings us to the Audi, yes - that will be the pick from this lot. But I like the S8 more than the A8 L. leg space is overrated. Actually, I would rather have the gorgeous RS 6 than any of these cars over here. Why would anyone pick a limo when there is an epic station wagon available?? No-brainer, really!

deetjohn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 08:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

As much as I want to chose the S-Class and I absolutely love it, if it was my own money, I would buy the left field choice, aka Lexus LS. If I was getting a company car or someone else paid it for me, it will no doubt be an S-Class. Its a cut above the BMW and the very plain jane Audi.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 09:38   #10
BHPian

Between the names mentioned I would pick the s class. In reality I would go for the M3/5. Or a Porsche Cayenne or macan.

The car which I would definitely not pick is the A8 and the Jaguar xjl. Also lexus isn't something where I would spend so much on.

Sigh this segment is a distant dream
Old 29th July 2020, 10:08   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Lexus LS

A8 is out for me because as said in the review buttons of the A4 feel the same as in the A8 and interiors with dual screens look very similar to say the A6 which is nearly half the price!

Next up the 7 series, with the grill looks a bit awkward but it’s the most pleasurable to drive. A good balance for driving and being driven in.

S-Class would be the de-facto choice as almost all celebrities and industrialists have one, no doubt it’s the best out there. Feels the most luxurious, but it’s too common (not in a bad way though).

So I would go for the LS mainly due to its striking looks, 14 airbags, Japanese reliability and decent hybrid powertrain. Prices are atrocious though. If it would been priced sensibly and had stronger dealer network it would be able to take some sales away from the S-Class.

Last edited by SmartCat : 29th July 2020 at 11:33. Reason: Typo
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 10:22   #12

The beautiful S is the undisputed king of this segment! This current generation will become a classic once the new one comes this year, with frankly weird Tesla-style interiors that are taking away the charm that the S is known for.
Second would be the Audi A8, which is a great product in itself but misses out on the character that the S class has.
As someone said above, saw the new A6 recently and it just looks fabulous on the road and in person! Extremely classy, and like from a segment above compared to the competition. Photos don't do it justice.
The 7 is ugly, and the interiors are too outdated now. Mercedes and Audi have stepped up the interior game to a new level and BMW really needs to shake things up IMO with their design and quality, not just in this segment but even with the 5.
Old 29th July 2020, 10:58   #13
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the S. The elegance is unmatched and it has the size, presence and luxury to top the segment. The 7 doesn’t work for me because that grille robbed the finesse expected in this segment, and somehow that big grille makes the big car looks smaller than its size.
Old 29th July 2020, 11:51   #14
BHPian

S class for me. It's the car I have always dreamed about growing up. The majestic presence and luxury in it's latest avatar exudes royalty however you look at it. The backseat is like sitting in 1st class. Big fan of package.

Even the other day I was driving, I saw this S class come up in my rear view mirror. It was a beautiful sight to see it approach & overtake me.
Old 29th July 2020, 13:31   #15
BHPian

S-Class it will be for me without thinking twice , if ever I am in to that category!

Not a single car can match the Elegance & Presence of the s-class. The new s-class didn't leave a good impression on me but the W222, oh my god I can't resist myself from drooling each and every time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks