BMW X3 83 35.78%
Volvo XC60 97 41.81%
GLC Coupe 38 16.38%
Range Rover Evoque 35 15.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2020, 01:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Which Luxury SUV to buy in the 60 - 70 lakh price bracket?

I'd pick the XC 60 amongst the list because of the tech it offers and a much more 'luxurious' interior. The X3 is a superior car to drive but the interiors look pretty plain for my taste.
Old 22nd August 2020, 09:50   #32
KMT
BHPian

Sorry to be so brand conscious but when you pay 70L I am surprised that Volvo is in the contention at all.

Although its provides as good/better gizmos than the competition its a Volvo after all, in addition its Geely owned.

Its like buying the top end Seiko vs a Rolex or Omega. In the end its a Seiko.

Unless its a multi-multi car garage where its just one of a collection, Volvo just does not cut it Bbandwise against Merc, BMW or JLR.

I think if you want to be different its worth even considering a Lexus.

Last edited by manson : 22nd September 2020 at 19:03. Reason: Typo.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 16:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Its like buying the top end Seiko vs a Rolex or Omega.
In the end its a Seiko.
I'd disagree. The Volvo now is nothing like from the old station wagon days, which I think is what you have in mind. Brand value is built over time with heritage, quality and whatnot, and I believe now they're well positioned compared to any of the other brands you are referring to. Sure the others emphasize on their Motorsport/track legacy but Volvo's aren't that - they're meant to be safe, comfortable and make you and your family feel good when you're in them. The quality of cars and the materials they use are definitely superior compared to the alternatives. Their soft leather seats are unmatched, in my opinion. Do take a test drive in a Merc/BMW and then do a comparable Volvo. Might change your mind!

On a side note, when my wife and I were shopping for a car in 2017, we test drove almost everything around 50 lakhs. My mind was set for the 330i, but once the missus sat in a Volvo, she was sold! The only other car that had that feel good factor for us in that budget was the Lexus ES300h.
hortons15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 19:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Sorry to be so brand conscious but when you pay 70L I am surprised that Volvo is in the contention at all.

Although its provides as good/better gizmos than the competition its a Volvo after all, in addition its Geely owned.

Its like buying the top end Seiko vs a Rolex or Omega.
In the end its a Seiko.

Unless itts a multi-multi car garage where its just one of a collection, Volvo just does not cut it Brandwise against Merc, BMW or JLR.

I think if you want to be different its worth even considering a Lexus.
I reckon its more like a Grand Seiko vs Rolex or Omega. The latter two may have more brand recall in general population, but for people who know more about watch making and are collectors, Grand Seiko is at par or even above the other two for the recent releases.

Volvo, similarly, has always offered a safety feature but the new gen models really have amplified the aesthetics and tech as well. If the brand isn't in the shortlist for anyone looking into mid luxury segment, its their oversight.

Last edited by click : 23rd August 2020 at 19:11.
Old 19th September 2020, 17:54   #35
BHPian

Did you buy HRK and if yes, what did you buy?

My choice would be between the X3 and GLC. If you like better driving dynamics go for the X3 and if you like comfort, luxury without compromising too much in driving, GLC is the choice.

XC 60 has a lot of active safety features but how many of them are really relevant to Indian conditions?
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
Did you buy HRK and if yes, what did you buy?

My choice would be between the X3 and GLC. If you like better driving dynamics go for the X3 and if you like comfort, luxury without compromising too much in driving, GLC is the choice.

XC 60 has a lot of active safety features but how many of them are really relevant to Indian conditions?
Actually you will be surprised that many of those active safety/ driver aid features come in quite handy in Indian conditions. The thing with Volvos is that they make you a better driver and its majorly due to the safety systems only. Systems like distance alert, blind spot warning, collision detection etc all come in very handy when you navigate day to day traffic as the car keeps alerting you. In fact I would argue that for our accident prone roads, such a safety oriented car is the best bet. For Indian roads, I would always recommend Safety first, Performance next.
Old 18th January 2021, 17:12   #37
BHPian

Hi Friends, I am in the market for a 60-75L SUV. Test drove the X3 and XC60.

I found the following

X3 30i
1. Suspension was awesome!
2. Seats were not comfortable, specifically under thigh support for the driver seat and the back seats (less comfortable than my current Jetta, I'm 5'11 and medium built)
3. For some reason, the engine wasn't smooth in terms of power delivery, there were jerks
4. Great brakes!

XC60
1. Suspension was Ok! X3 was noticeably better
2. Seats were awesome!
3. The engine was ok, but smooth! Loud outside.
4. I found the brakes to be lacking the bite (this could become a deal breaker)

Is my assessment correct?

At the moment, I'm inclined more towards XC60 (MY 2021 which now also has wireless charging which MY2020 didn't have), unless my assessment is incorrect.
Old 18th January 2021, 18:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashgp View Post
Hi friends,
Hey Abhilash!

If I may, could you please list down your requirements in a bit more detail? That'll help us in recommending you the best option. Going by your budget, I feel the GLE will be a good option for you. But again, it all depends on your requirements.
Old 18th January 2021, 19:13   #39
BHPian

Hi Akash,

Sure, let me clarify my needs.

1. SUV, the budget is upto 75L
2. Current car is Jetta, the drive experience should at or slightly above that
3. Safety is a top concern for me (I feel driver assistance feature is a must)
4. Yearly mileage is 10K (daily commute, infrequent long drives BLR-TRV)
5. Given a trade off, comfort > performance (so long as 2 is not compromised)
6. Not particular about diesel or petrol (prefer longer range to reduce refill needs)
7. Things that are nice to have are adaptive headlamps, more AC vents in rear
8. Urgency - Not urgent, can wait if waiting opens up more options
9. I hope to hold onto the car for 5-8 years

Yet to try GLE (tomorrow)

Thanks!

Last edited by abhilashgp : 18th January 2021 at 19:15.
Old 19th January 2021, 18:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
....Going by your budget, I feel the GLE will be a good option for you.
Hey Akash,

Drove the GLE today, was pretty nice and comfortable. Seats were pretty good and the car has a lot of space in the rear. But I fear it is out of my budget at the moment. The dealer is expected to get back in a day with an offer.
Old 21st January 2021, 23:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Akash,

Drove the GLE today, was pretty nice and comfortable. Seats were pretty good and the car has a lot of space in the rear. But I fear it is out of my budget at the moment. The dealer is expected to get back in a day with an offer.
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. You mentioned that you did check out the GLE and it was a bit over your budget. Now, here’s the fun part about luxury car manufacturers: They will always have huge discounts, ALWAYS! You’re looking in the regions of ₹8-10L for a start and usually around ₹1.5-2L more if you bargain hard. I really feel that the GLE being the newest product of the entire lot, will be the best choice for the future and that extra ₹5-10L you’ll be spending will be earned back if you keep the car for a bit longer.

The other really suitable option is the XC60. Beautiful car, that one.

Edit: Another option that just came to my mind is the F-Pace or even a Velar. They too suit the criteria well.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 21st January 2021 at 23:46.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. You mentioned that you did check out the GLE and it was a bit over your budget. Now, here’s the fun part about luxury car manufacturers: They will always have huge discounts, ALWAYS! You’re looking in the regions of ₹8-10L for a start and usually around ₹1.5-2L more if you bargain hard. I really feel that the GLE being the newest product of the entire lot, will be the best choice for the future and that extra ₹5-10L you’ll be spending will be earned back if you keep the car for a bit longer.

The other really suitable option is the XC60. Beautiful car, that one.

Edit: Another option that just came to my mind is the F-Pace or even a Velar. They too suit the criteria well.
Hi Akash,

So MB is refusing any discount beyond 4-5L on GLE 4-5L; last few days tried out the XC60 and GLC again, loved XC60. Will do one more drive of GLC today jus to be sure and if my perspective doesn’t change, Planning on closing with XC60.

I wanted brake assist as mandatory which both GLC and XC60 has. LR Discovery sport is the other SUV that has it, been thinking if I should try it. But my heart is with Volvo.

Thanks,
Abhilash

Last edited by abhilashgp : 22nd January 2021 at 07:29.
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Akash,

So MB is refusing any discount beyond 4-5L on GLE 4-5L; last few days tried out the XC60 and GLC again, loved XC60. Will do one more drive of GLC today jus to be sure and if my perspective doesn’t change, Planning on closing with XC60.

I wanted brake assist as mandatory which both GLC and XC60 has. LR Discovery sport is the other SUV that has it, been thinking if I should try it. But my heart is with Volvo.

Thanks,
Abhilash
I am in the same boat, still undecided between X3 and GLC. As of now, none of BLR MB dealers have the 2020 GLC petrol in stock and 2021 models are not out yet. X3 is available but not in the color we want and 2021 make will not be available till end of Feb, March. So, its wait and watch for now.

What is the OTR in bangalore for XC660, you are getting after discounts?
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:07   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Current car is Jetta, the drive experience should at or slightly above that
I am surprised you dropped X3 off the list so quickly. Maybe you should do some more back-to-back test drive of X3 with other contenders. Other than rear seat comfort (relatively speaking), it has lot of things going for it and I feel you didn't spend enough time with it to come to the right conclusion (not being smooth to drive, driver seat not being comfortable, etc.). Usually works out to be more VFM to buy and own. I believe they are launching a lower trim soon.
Old 23rd January 2021, 07:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am surprised you dropped X3 off the list so quickly. Maybe you should do some more back-to-back test drive of X3 with other contenders. Other than rear seat comfort (relatively speaking), it has lot of things going for it and I feel you didn't spend enough time with it to come to the right conclusion (not being smooth to drive, driver seat not being comfortable, etc.). Usually works out to be more VFM to buy and own. I believe they are launching a lower trim soon.
True, I was wondering if I should take another longer test drive on X3. However the absence of autonomous braking or brake assist, ruled it out. The ride comfort, I felt, was best in X3.

Closed on XC60 at the moment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks