Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 10:31   #31
BHPian

Re: Mercedes GLE-Class vs BMW X5 vs Volvo XC90 vs other similar SUVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Being one of the earliest adopter in 2029, I had my share of glitches, but now it's been running pretty stable. I am sure mercedes has learned from our bad experiences and should have fixed them for future releases. I will be happy to share ownership experience if it helps your case.
Please do, devsoftech! It would really help. I'm curious to know the glitches you faced. I went through the MBForums to see that most glitches were due to the high voltage battery paired with the inline 6 cylinder petrol. But yours seems to be an inline 4 petrol without the high voltage battery.

You're lucky that you get the massage seats and probably the e-active body control, which none of our GLEs and even GLSs get, despite getting the airmatic suspension. We don't get the HUD as well.

I will be test driving the GLE, X7 and the XC90 at the same time in the coming week. I'll base my decision off of that.
Old 7th October 2020, 11:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchiragrawal View Post
Please do, devsoftech! It would really help. I'm curious to know the glitches you faced. I went through the MBForums to see that most glitches were due to the high voltage battery paired with the inline 6 cylinder petrol. But yours seems to be an inline 4 petrol without the high voltage battery.

You're lucky that you get the massage seats and probably the e-active body control, which none of our GLEs and even GLSs get, despite getting the airmatic suspension. We don't get the HUD as well.

I will be test driving the GLE, X7 and the XC90 at the same time in the coming week. I'll base my decision off of that.
Yes, mine is 2.0l inline-4 and not based off 48volt system used for e-active body control and EQboost.

My ordeal is documented here: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7909347

I have a youtube video on the above thread that captured all errors when car had stalled.

Last edited by devsoftech : 7th October 2020 at 11:01. Reason: Quoting
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 12:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
Yes, mine is 2.0l inline-4 and not based off 48volt system used for e-active body control and EQboost.

My ordeal is documented here: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ml#post7909347

I have a Youtube video on the above thread that captured all errors when car had stalled.

Oh. I had seen that post. I didn't connect you to be the same Devesh Kumar haha (my bad).

I saw your video in which the instrument cluster gave errors on errors. I'm glad to know you're safe and okay. I would've panicked to see that error list. How's your experience after that? Was the throttle valve actuator the only thing which was replaced? Were there more ESP software updates after that?

I'm also unsure if India gets OTA updates as frequently and quickly as anywhere outside.
Old 9th October 2020, 18:53   #34
BHPian

@ruchiragrawal Why don't you check out the new Audi Q8 celebration edition too? The price seems to be around your budget and it will be a tad bit more special too in a sea of GLEs and X5s. It seems to have a decent powertrain as well and since the air suspension has been removed, you are guranteed long term reliability

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Audi has launched a new base variant of the Q8 called the Celebration. It is priced at Rs. 98.98 lakh (ex-showroom).
sodapop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 20:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
@ruchiragrawal Why don't you check out the new Audi Q8 celebration edition too? The price seems to be around your budget and it will be a tad bit more special too in a sea of GLEs and X5s. It seems to have a decent powertrain as well and since the air suspension has been removed, you are guranteed long term reliability
Hey, thanks for the suggestion! I just checked the news myself. It'd be nice to have an underpowered Urus

I think it is geared more towards X6 and GLE Coupe buyers. The car does look feature packed. Let's wait and see what celebration trim has to offer!
ruchiragrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 11:42   #36
BHPian

Putting some pictures up from our comparison.

We put the cars next to each other for my grandfather to see how the ingress/egress feels for 1st and 2nd rows. I had put both cars to the lowest positions.

Waiting for final quotes from both of them.

Both are really beautiful cars. And I have found out that they are really different as well.

And I have also found out that the captain's chairs on BMW are not the best. Especially the handrest is too narrow to be practical. I feel bench seats would be the way to go with them. Others' opinions are differing in the family.

The simplicity and cleanliness of Volvo's infotainment is quite soothing.

Will keep you guys updated.

It is quite surprising to know that Mercedes is unable to provide a test drive for the GLEs with airmatic suspension i.e. 400d or 450 variants. They all have only the 300d for demo, which has normal coilovers (not even adaptive). Not a single one in the west!
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes GLE-Class vs BMW X5 vs Volvo XC90 vs other similar SUVs-img_3748.jpg  

Mercedes GLE-Class vs BMW X5 vs Volvo XC90 vs other similar SUVs-img_8239.jpg  

Mercedes GLE-Class vs BMW X5 vs Volvo XC90 vs other similar SUVs-img_2760.jpg  

Mercedes GLE-Class vs BMW X5 vs Volvo XC90 vs other similar SUVs-img_6949.jpg  

ruchiragrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 12:15   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchiragrawal View Post
And I have also found out that the captain's chairs on BMW are not the best. Especially the handrest is too narrow to be practical. I feel bench seats would be the way to go with them.
Your observations are correct. The rear seats are not same like front but will be better than a bench. Did you checked the Velfire? Most Toyota dealerships will have one demo or their owners cars, which they use as Demo. Another Car that I missed is V-Class, they have a newer variant that gets all the goodies including Rear Cooled Captain Seats. Both, Velfire & V Class gets best captain seats but not Air Suspension.
Quote:
The simplicity and cleanliness of Volvo's infotainment is quite soothing.
Please don't buy Volvo, It's ancient now

Quote:
It is quite surprising to know that Mercedes is unable to provide a test drive for the GLEs with airmatic suspension i.e. 400d or 450 variants.
Demand for MB is very high. If you like everything else, go-ahead with MB. It's the latest model and will hold value far better.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 12:43   #38
BHPian

After test driving the GLE 300d, GLS 400d, X7 DPE Signature, XC90 D5 Inscription and the previous gen (F15) X5 30d Msport, I'd like to share some observations.

Regarding comfort on bad roads:

No car mentioned here beats the X7. This air suspension does a much better job than GLS's. I am wishfully thinking that the G05 X5 xline 30D also gets just as much supple ride, and then, we'd get the most comfortable 5 seater SUV at 83ish Ex-showroom range. BMW has the X5 40i Msport for test drive, but I haven't done that yet. The F15 X5 that I drove had the adaptive dampers at the front and air suspension at the rear, however, the ride was much harder than GLS and X7. I understand it is not an apple-to-apple comparison, but this should give some idea of the air suspension comforts. If I had to rank ride comfort on the basis of air suspension, it would be BMW X7 > Merc GLS > Volvo XC90. One more thing to note is that the X7 lowers much more than the GLS, thereby making it easier for elders to get in in the X7 than the GLS. XC90 has the least overall suspension travel, and it doesn't have manual controls for raising or lowering the car: the adjusts suspensions according to the selected driving mode. I also noted that the XC90 hit its bumpstops wayy easily than any other car. It made me feel it is not that well suited to driving it leisurely on bad roads. For the GLE 300d, I'd say that, it's a luxurious, spacious 5-seater butch car, and given that it doesn't have adaptive dampers or air suspension, it would probably be the least expensive to own for long term.

Regarding 2nd row seating comfort

Here, again, the X7 wins, because of its wide range of inclination with its captain seats. The GLS does incline, but too little (30° more than upright) for my personal comfort; I'd go so far to say that the Fortuner's 2nd row feels much more adjustable and reclinable than the GLS. The added noise insulation from dual pane glass of X7 is definitely noticeable. However, the climb to those seats is bad for elders. The running boards are impractically narrow, and what's worse is that, they taper towards the end of the wheel! So they are essentially not even there where you need them! The XC90 is the easiest to get in and out, even at its normal ride height. The 2nd row seats, however, sit very low.

Regarding 3rd row seating comfort

All three of them are worse as compared to an Innova or a Fortuner. I know it is naive to think that when you're spending upwards of a crore for a luxury car, they'd offer marginally better or even similar 3rd row experience, but still, it was a let-down. The seats from the GLS and X7 don't recline, and hence, you sit at an extremely upright position. The leg space becomes manageable after one shifts the 2nd row all the way ahead. X7 marginally wins here, because of
its captain chair config for the 2nd row, which gives that extra bit of spaciousness for the 3rd row passengers. I don't remember if the seats of the XC90 recline, but they were too low to the floor to even consider them viable.

Finally, driving fun

The GLS 400d feels absolutely brute for such a heavy car. It really hauls! You can hear a really satisfying exhaust note when you floor it. The X7 30d feels meek, and has an almost effiminate grunt. XC90 was not special as such, but somehow felt more agile than the other cars. GLE 300d was the worst of the bunch, and clearly felt underpowered. The F15 X5 30d was okay. I'd pick the GLS any day if I were driving. It feels much more manageable for its size than the X7.

Only the XC90 comes with 'massager' seats. GLS has something different, Seat kinetics, where it randomly adjusts the seats to reduce fatigue. I had to switch both the features off because they didn't feel that good. I'd say that neither of these features stand out as such. X7, X5 and GLE get nothing in terms of additional seating comfort.

That's pretty much the end of what I felt. I noticed that none of the cars give you all that you'd want for the money. Perhaps, its the law of diminishing returns is at play here. I wonder if going with one van like 7 seater (the Kia Carnival Limo), along with one 5-seater luxurious SUV would be a wiser thing to do to serve all our purposes.
ruchiragrawal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 11:58   #39

Excuse me for hijacking your thread. We are in a similar situation right now choosing between the X5 and GLE 300d.

I have come across few posts regarding engine issues in GLE. Wanted to clarify if it is for all the engine variants or specific for 450.

Also, which car is easy on maintenance among the two?
Old 31st December 2020, 23:29   #40
BHPian

Hi,

I am also in the same boat. Looking to upgrade my X3 2.0d to either the GLE 400d or X5. Very keen to upgrade to a 6 cylinder diesel engine. But no test drive vehicle is available for the GLE 400d in Bangalore. I am not too keen on the X5 as we already have the X3. Which vehicle would have better ride quality over the Bangalore moon craters? It will be really helpful if people could share their ownership experience of the GLE. An official review would help a lot of fence sitters like me.

Cheers
Aravind
Old 1st January 2021, 07:31   #41
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

This is the exact same situation I am also in. I drove the X5 diesel and there is nothing which comes close to it but the back sitting is a bummer.

Mercedes GLE or BMW X5 not even considering volvo as after sale is quite bad and the no resale value.
Old 1st January 2021, 12:43   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap2329 View Post
which car is easy on maintenance among the two?
BMW is a far easier and cheaper. BMW extended warranties are done by BMW India whereas MB does via Reliance Insurance. Basic service, parts are also cheaper with BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindrn View Post
Hi,
Very keen to upgrade to a 6 cylinder diesel engine. But no test drive vehicle is available for the GLE 400d in Bangalore. Which vehicle would have better ride quality over the Bangalore moon craters?
GLE will be my pick over X5 if rear seat creature comfort is a priority. As far as suspension goes, newer X5 handles well but if you have X3, go with GLE. 6 cylinders of MB are fun too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSC View Post
but the back sitting is a bummer.
Correct, you get electric adjustable seats on the GLE and personally, I like the interiors better on the MB (despite no leather). Quality of X5 leather is basic so I won't give too much weightage to that. MB will be comfortable in the rear seat and if I am not mistaken, rear leg room is also more on GLE.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st January 2021 at 12:55.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 15:56   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
GLE will be my pick over X5 if rear seat creature comfort is a priority. As far as suspension goes, newer X5 handles well but if you have X3, go with GLE. 6 cylinders of MB are fun too.

Correct, you get electric adjustable seats on the GLE and personally, I like the interiors better on the MB (despite no leather). Quality of X5 leather is basic so I won't give too much weightage to that. MB will be comfortable in the rear seat and if I am not mistaken, rear leg room is also more on GLE.
Thats where my dad got sold on the GLE. Dash design and backseat comfort, though he prefers driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSC View Post
Hi Everyone,

This is the exact same situation I am also in. I drove the X5 diesel and there is nothing which comes close to it but the back sitting is a bummer.

Mercedes GLE or BMW X5 not even considering volvo as after sale is quite bad and the no resale value.
Exact same observation, everything feels right in the BMW except for the rear seat. Surprisingly, I found the new 320D rear seats more comfortable than the X3/X5.

We have paid a token to Mercedes but I’m asking him to reconsider the decision and take some more time to evaluate as I feel driving feel matters over a longer period rather than the fancy screens and other features that are rarely used.
Old 2nd January 2021, 16:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Thanks for the inputs Turbanator. Took a test drive of the GLE300d today. The ride was definitely better than the X3 but some sharp bumps do find their way in. I didn't find the seats to be really an upgrade from my X3. The under thigh support is very similar to the X3 but since you sit a bit higher in the back seat, the overall comfort level is better. The rear middle seat is also a bit of let down.The interior is definitely a good place to be in with the overall fit and finish. I will take a test drive of the GLS 400d to get a sense of the engine performance next week. The X3/GLC with a 3 litre would have been an ideal package.

Cheers!
Old 30th January 2021, 10:47   #45
BHPian

Hi,

It would be helpful if someone could share information about the current discounts on the GLE 400d. What would be a reasonable discount on the ex-showroom?

Cheers
Aravind

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks