Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2021, 15:47   #61

Re: Mercedes GLE-Class vs BMW X5 vs Volvo XC90 vs other similar SUVs

Hi Guys,

Hope you're all safe & doing well.

Background: I moved back home last year and am looking to upgrade my garage that currently has a 2013 BMW X3, a Skoda Rapid & a Honda Brio. I'm from Jalgaon, Maharashtra (Ruchir's neighbour). The road conditions here are equally bad if not worse than Dhule. The family's mostly chauffeured, but since I'm home now I'll get behind the wheel quite a few times.

Requirement: I'm looking to buy a combo of an SUV & a business sedan (One of them to be a three pointed star). Open to considering decent pre-owned options too. Keeping a max budget of 1 Cr. Top three parameters for me would be luxury, tech & maintenance costs.

I'm exploring the following options. Would really appreciate if you'll could help me in making a wise decision:

1. (Pre-Owned) Merc E220 Exclusive + (New) Ford Endeavour/Toyota Fortuner: This was the original choice I had made a couple of years ago when the LWB was launched in India. I was predetermined to go with this combination however, the road conditions pose a serious threat to E220's low ground clearance. My dad really likes the Endeavour, so a combination of these two would've satisfied both of us.

2. (New) Skoda Superb + (Pre-Owned) 2020 Merc GLE 300d: The Skoda Superb is a great car and is an excellent VFM purchase. Will it go well as a combo with the new GLE? However, how easy will it be to get my hands on a pre-owned model for a decent price since it was launched just last year!

Not considering the X5 since I plan on keeping the X3. The new Kodiaq could be potential contender (dad's not a big fan though). Would like to include the GLS, but even a Pre-Owned would seriously stretch the budget.

Been researching pre-owned options online & tbh haven't found any that fit my preferences & budget.

TIA!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st May 2021 at 06:52. Reason: Only two emoticons per post please. Thanks.
anadwani is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 07:44   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadwani View Post

Requirement: I'm looking to buy a combo of an SUV & a business sedan (One of them to be a three pointed star). Open to considering decent pre-owned options too. Keeping a max budget of 1 Cr. Top three parameters for me would be luxury, tech & maintenance costs.

I'm exploring the following options. Would really appreciate if you'll could help me in making a wise decision:

2. (New) Skoda Superb + (Pre-Owned) 2020 Merc GLE 300d: The Skoda Superb is a great car and is an excellent vfm purchase. Will it go well as a combo with the new GLE? However, how easy will it be to get my hands on a pre-owned model for a decent price since it was launched just last year!

Not considering the X5 since I plan on keeping the X3. The new Kodiaq could be potential contender (dad's not a big fan though). Would like to include the GLS, but even a Pre-Owned would seriously stretch the budget.
What are your thoughts on a variation of the options 2?
A lightly used Superb and a pre-owned GLE - This could give you up to 10L extra to put towards the GLE and still be under the 1Cr cumulative budget.

Finding a GLE shouldn't be too hard, if you're okay picking up a demo car, the dealer should be able to give you a good price for them. Personally, I wouldn't mind the demo car since it'll still be under warranty and usually dealers will throw in an extended warranty for free when buying a demo car.
Old 30th May 2021, 23:43   #63
BHPian

Quote:

Been researching pre-owned options online & tbh haven't found any that fit my preferences & budget.
In most choices you are buying used Germans and brand new SUV's, I would suggest you to go other way round buy a brand new German with service package for peace of mind and pocket.

Used Toyota can never go wrong at least on your pocket.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd July 2021 at 11:11. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
a4_attitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 02:05   #64
Senior - BHPian

I am very surprised to hear the reports of Volvo having very low resale value here. I had to give up my search for a used current gen Volvo XC90 and then the XC60 due to how high the asking price was on online marketplaces. 3-4 year old X5s and GLEs with 50-70k on the Odo were listed at around 30-40lakhs but equivalent XC90s were all 60 lakhs plus
Old 3rd July 2021, 10:37   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post
What are your thoughts on a variation of the options 2?
A lightly used Superb and a pre-owned GLE - This could give you up to 10L extra to put towards the GLE and still be under the 1Cr cumulative budget.

Finding a GLE shouldn't be too hard, if you're okay picking up a demo car, the dealer should be able to give you a good price for them. Personally, I wouldn't mind the demo car since it'll still be under warranty and usually dealers will throw in an extended warranty for free when buying a demo car.
Thanks @ballfry for the suggestion!

Ended up test driving the Superb & E220 side by side. The Superb is was at par with the E in terms of tech if not more. The rear seat experience is something you cannot beat the E class at. Superb's boot space is 3x of the E. All in all, the Superb offered 90% of the E experience (some features exceeding the E) for less than 50% of the price. Hence, I went ahead and booked a Black Superb with brown interiors.

Now the hunt for a pre-owned/demo GLE begins!!
Unfortunately the dealer in Pune doesn't have a demo GLE (They show the GLS to the potential customers). Will be checking with other dealers nearby (What should be the discount range for a demo GLE300?). Also some one year old 5/6k driven GLE 300s are in the market for just 15-18 lakhs less than the new one. Should the discount be more? Any guidelines on what should the fair value be?

It'll be my first pre-owned purchase hence I'm extra cautious about everything being right.
anadwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 12:16   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately the dealer in Pune doesn't have a demo GLE (They show the GLS to the potential customers). Will be checking with other dealers nearby (What should be the discount range for a demo GLE300?). Also some one year old 5/6k driven GLE 300s are in the market for just 15-18 lakhs less than the new one. Should the discount be more? Any guidelines on what should the fair value be?

It'll be my first pre-owned purchase hence I'm extra cautious about everything being right.
Congrats on the superb, that’s half the story.

As per discount, you could see anywhere from 12-18% of the on-road price, what really does matter in this case it the mileage and condition of the car.

Also check if the dealer will be willing to throw in freebies like an external refurb for small dents and scratches on the demo car.
ballfry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 18:36   #67

Quote:

Ended up test driving the Superb & E220 side by side. The Superb is was at par with the E in terms of tech if not more. The rear seat experience is something you cannot beat the E class at. Superb's boot space is 3x of the E. All in all, the Superb offered 90% of the E experience (some features exceeding the E) for less than 50% of the price. Hence, I went ahead and booked a Black Superb with brown interiors.
Going off topic for a bit, but could you tell, if you managed to get some discounts and offers on your Superb? And many many congratulations to you on the new beast.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th July 2021 at 18:46. Reason: fixed broken quote tags
mopy95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 18:43   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. (Pre-Owned) Merc E220 Exclusive + (New) Ford Endeavour/Toyota Fortuner: This was the original choice I had made a couple of years ago when the LWB was launched in India. I was predetermined to go with this combination however, the road conditions pose a serious threat to E220's low ground clearance. My dad really likes the Endeavour, so a combination of these two would've satisfied both of us.

2. (New) Skoda Superb + (Pre-Owned) 2020 Merc GLE 300d: The Skoda Superb is a great car and is an excellent VFM purchase. Will it go well as a combo with the new GLE? However, how easy will it be to get my hands on a pre-owned model for a decent price since it was launched just last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
In most choices you are buying used Germans and brand new SUV's, I would suggest you to go other way round buy a brand new German with service package for peace of mind and pocket.

Used Toyota can never go wrong at least on your pocket.
What @a4_attitude has suggested maybe the best compromise,

Go for a new E-Class, there is simply no car which can beat it’s back seat experience this side of the S-Class. And then look for a top-notch quality Fortuner or Endeavour in the used car market or a new Innova Crysta won’t be a bad option either.

In terms of demo cars that are sold by dealerships, just yesterday I was offered a MY2020 GLC200 demo car run 6000kms refurbished to factory conditions for 57.5L whereas a new MY21 GLC200 with discounts was 66.75L, so roughly expect 10L off on a demo car. But i wouldn’t advice you to go for a demo car simple reason being they are abused like crazy and those x000kms will feel like a 40-50,000km run car!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 5th July 2021 at 18:45.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 20:12   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Hence, I went ahead and booked a Black Superb with brown interiors.

Please share the final price agreed upon for the Superb. I hope it's the L&K trim.

15-18 lakhs off of the listed new price, as per me, is not a very good deal. It is quite manageable to get 8-10 lakhs off on the new car's listed price itself (provided the customer is well informed).

Try sourcing the demo GLE from Delhi-NCR region. You'll most probably find the best deal there. You can of course try to get the car from Mumbai as well, but I have no idea about it.

Happy shopping.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 05:03   #70
BHPian

I too, have recently purchased a pre-owned vehicle albeit a humble Honda City.

But I have been researching the option of buying used cars for almost 2 years, weighing the pros and cons of used vs. new.

My opinion:

- You've already made your new car purchase (congratulations), so pre-owned for this one works well. And these big Germans depreciate well within the first 2-3 years, making them a good pre-owned buy.

- Before you delve in further, please outline your budget with a relatively strict upper limit, only to be changed a little if an exceptional vehicle comes along

- You've already narrowed down to Mercedes, now narrow down to the model as well.

- GLC or GLE are relatively popular models, demo/test drive vehicles have seen more drivers and possibly more abuse and bad parking conditions too perhaps ?. It could have all the warranty in the world, but after spending big monies you would want a reliable vehicle. The last thing you need is a car frequently going to the workshop or leaving your stranded somewhere.

- The demo car options *might* work for some niche models that don't see many drivers and have mostly been parked. It's always remains a gamble

- Try to buy directly from the owner. Always the best option, no unnecessary dealer markups, more transparency.

- I say take your time, be on the lookout online and in personal circles for low run vehicles and meanwhile research the vehicle you want to buy for common niggles and problem areas to look for while purchasing pre owned.

- I cannot stress on the above point enough. Looking thoroughly online will give you a fair idea about the market, the depreciation and your research about common issues will help you identify potential problems, if some minor one's already exist, they will become a useful bargaining tool for you. Furthermore you will develop a bond with the vehicle you finally choose, if you care about that sort of thing that is .

- Needless to say, wherever you buy from, a pre-purchase inspection is must.

I wish you luck in your search.

Happy Motoring!!

Last edited by ibisbrew : 6th July 2021 at 05:05.
ibisbrew is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 10:43   #71
Senior - BHPian

For SUV- I would pickup Endeavour/Fortuner and sedan from a 3 pointed star. For me SUV's have to be big and sedan should be fast, elegant and luxurious. You can get a 3 pointed large SUV but that alone will eat up your budget. My personal pick would be a Fortuner and a used X5, but if sedan would pick up a 3 series.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 16:21   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Please share the final price agreed upon for the Superb. I hope it's the L&K trim.
Yeah it's the L&K trim!

I opted for Skoda Drive Assure+Essential Accessory Kit+Maintenance Package. All this included, the on-road price comes to 41.30 lakhs and we closed the deal for 37.55 lakhs. So yeah pretty sweet discount of 3.75 lakhs when compared to what others on the forum were quoted. Shoutout to fellow BHPian @agrajagarwal for sharing his quote with me. Helped me bargain a few more thousands!

Happy to help with my quote if required!
anadwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 00:00   #73
BHPian

I think your option 1 is best. That’s what I was also thinking. I feel a luxury sedan is better value than a luxury SUV since the latter won’t give the same space for same price. Plus you can abuse it too. So E class and a fortuner is your best option I think.
Old 11th July 2021, 21:32   #74
BHPian

I had the same buying thought process this year. I am not sure if you really need a proper 4x4 SUV or just need a tall comfortable ride to navigate through the bad patches.

Sharing the below option I got for myself in case you would like to go for both new cars and still save some cash from your 1Cr budget for higher fuel costs (I understand your preference is towards diesel)

BWM 330i + Innova Crysta 2.7 GX

You can also go for the 2.4 ZX variant. The Innova will be far more comfortable over broken roads in case you don't need 4x4

If not the above your option 1 looks good
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 10:37   #75

Quote:
Hi Guys,

TIA!
I would suggest to go with a used Fortuner, and a new German Luxury sedan of your choice. The Toyota is reliable, and easy to find in the preowned market. The German will be new and feature rich, also accompanied by peace of mind (warranty cover).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks