Toyota Camry Hybrid 22 6.51%
Other (please specify in your post) 1 0.30%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2020, 09:24   #31
sgm
BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series vs Mercedes C-Class vs Jaguar XE vs others

I believe that there is nothing like a perfect car and we choose what suit us the best. To me, the match based on some of the parameters

Dynamics and handling : 330i (Anything next to a Porsche is BMW territory)
Spacious and reliable family sedan : Camry
Overall nice and comfortable package : C-class

With a top end Corolla Altis already at home, I ruled out Camry after a test drive.
For me it was a really close call between 3-series and C-class. Though I always dreamt of getting the 3-series, a few omissions forced me to switch to C. I’m 6’ 1” and a very skinny guy and with back and knee pains, so features like lumbar etc was crucial for me. I did not want a C300d due to lessor practicality due to 18” (read sidewall cracks and rim bend stories on TBHP) and harsher ride, still my heart beats when I think of C300d.

Though the W205 C-class platform is the oldest, it has got a new life with the new OM654 engine and 9G tronic it received during the 2018 facelift. Though, it is about 100Kgs heavier compared to 3-series, it still gives a similar performance numbers (320d vs 220d or 330i vs 300d).
Recently I completed a solo drive to Kerala and back and I covered the twisties with comfort and I didn’t feel tired whereas I used to feel a bit heavy in Atlis after this stretch.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3-Series vs Mercedes C-Class vs Jaguar XE vs others-twisty.png  

BMW 3-Series vs Mercedes C-Class vs Jaguar XE vs others-perumedu.jpg  

sgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 11:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

If self Driven I would go with the BMW ! However if I am Chauffeured around I think the best choice would be the Camry.

Couple of years ago, the C class and 3 Series comparison would also feature the Audi A4. Sadly time has not been kind to once the best seller. Is it a temporary Discontinuation due to the BS6 transition or is a new one coming along ?
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 15:08   #33
BHPian

My choice would be the 330i M sport for the sheer driving pleasure, one of the few sedans which offer the perfect mix of driving dynamics, power on tap mated with a sweet 8 speed autobox. If I need a family car it would be the Camry, oodles of space, comfort and luxury, great to be driven in and fine to drive as well, with the T badge's obvious solid build quality/reliability and easy on maintenance.
Old 12th November 2020, 16:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
If self Driven I would go with the BMW ! However if I am Chauffeured around I think the best choice would be the Camry.

Couple of years ago, the C class and 3 Series comparison would also feature the Audi A4. Sadly time has not been kind to once the best seller. Is it a temporary Discontinuation due to the BS6 transition or is a new one coming along ?
You just spoke my mind out loudly word to word. And what a fall for AUDI, the hunble cousins together polled enough votes to pocket a third place whilst AUDI is not even on the wish list.
Old 12th November 2020, 20:43   #35
BHPian

I voted for the 3 series. I feel cars in this segment need to be both driver and comfort oriented. And the 3 series strikes a fine balance in this aspect.
Old 6th April 2021, 14:29   #36
BHPian

I voted for XE for its exclusivity, looks and Driving pleasure. Willing to compromise a bit on practicality for the sake of exclusivity. Real head turner, rather the only one out of all the listed cars. Need to have some kind of snob value associated with the vehicle after spending 5M INR. BMWs, Mercs are ubiquitous these days.
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:56   #37
BHPian

It has to be the 3 series for me. I love the looks of the G20. That, combined with the higher spec of the petrol engine, is what I'd pick.
I also can't rationally justify the price premium on the C class. While it does have some additional equipment like adaptive dampers it also loses out on quite a bit, for eg. equipment like memory seats (at least on the lower variants). Also, the C is an EOL product and I wouldn't be surprised if the new one is priced at a 10L premium for a similar spec variant as compared to the 3.
Old 24th April 2021, 22:56   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW 3 series for self drive : I haven't driven the XE which many say is as good if not better a driver's car, but the BMW would bring about with it some peace of mind in terms of maintenance & service.

If it's a car to be driven around in, then hands down the Camry.

For a mix of both, the Superb makes a superb case for itself; but depending on where the balance tilts, so does the 330Li
Old 14th June 2021, 10:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Mods,

Should we add 330i GL into the mix here? I am in this segment (and aspirational-y in the 5/E segment too), and am likely to end up with GL in my garage.

It seemed like a great combo of - 3 series fun with acres of legroom and comfort without much compromise on handling (it’s a bit softer though), easier on wallet than 5 (buy and own), badge value that surpasses Superb and Camry (almost as big too). Seems like the best of all worlds to our eyes.

Worthwhile asking whether the group also feels the same? OR should we add it to the 5 segment? ( I think it fits better here)

Cheers
A

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 14th June 2021 at 10:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks