Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2020, 19:30   #1

BMW X3: Buy with year-end discounts or wait for new year?

Hi folks,
I've been reading the forums since ages but this is the first time am posting so please ignore any n00b mistakes I make

I stay in Gurgaon and have been driving Nissan Terrano (Diesel) for almost 5 years. We were wanting to upgrade to X1 for a while and visited showroom this week to take advantage of year end discount.

However, when we tired X1 it didn't feel like a luxury car and a BMW product due to some plastic components and lack of features. So we decided to directly upgrade to X3

Since we don't drive a lot (8k per year) we are looking to book BMW X30i Petrol and getting it at 62 Lac including 4 years service package and 5 years warranty.

My question are following:
1. Is this a good discount or shall I bargain more?
2. Should I be really making this big jump directly to X3? Am I underestimating the maintenance cost of it?
3. I was not planning to take any loan for X1 but have to take for the difference amount (25Lac). Is that a good idea?
4. If I go ahead, what all I should check with dealer in terms of warranty and service coverage. This is my first luxury car so am bit clueless on it.

5. Should I be buying it now or wait for 2021 if there is any minor upgrade coming (I felt features like gesture control, bolster Adjustment were missing) but are there in X4). Also no new colors in a while :(
Delaying the purchase may give me time to better manage the finances but I'll lose the year end discount and there is 2% + price increase happening in Jan. So slightly confused here.

I usually keep my cars for 5 years, and was planning to keep X1 for 4 but X3 maybe longer.

Would really appreciate if I can get some guidance on this. Since this is the last week of year end discounts, I need to make a decision in a couple of days. Thanks in advance.
Satyajeet02 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 20:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW X3: Buy with year-end discounts or wait for new year?

X1 is a mediocre product but sells a lot as it’s most practical and cheapest. X3 is definitely a better vehicle. I will definitely recommend you to upgrade to an X3 if you can manage.

I am not sure if the support for the warranty and maintenance packages is from company or the dealership. Best will be to check discounts on the ex-showroom and then add costs of such extras. Another point will be to check and compare Insurance amount directly with someone else like New India. You can get much lower rates than what dealership usually add.

Given the Euro exchange price, the hike on most German cars should be for real. 2020 models extend for a while in 2021 so you won’t get 21 at least in first quarter.

If you are a young couple do consider X4 too. It does look better and may have some extra features too. I will try to check for the X3 facelift or planned changes if any and update here shortly. There are 3 different dealerships in NCR so you can manage information by speaking to each of these.
Turbanator is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 20:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Discount of around 6-7L on on road pricing is what is the norm here in Mumbai right now.

Personally it is a little on the lower side but due to reduced supply discounts aren't as large.
If you're ok waiting - you could get a better deal in 2021.

Also, the X3 is only available in the top end Luxury trim at the moment, with the cheaper trim having been discontinued : as sales slow down, BMW typically launches lower trims (think 330i Sport, 530i Sport, X1 SportX, etc.) Which will have all the important features (safety, sunroof, etc.) but will see regular infotainment v/s Harman Kardon; smaller alloys (which could mean better ride & lower tyre replacement cost).
This lower trim, better financial position may just make it a no-brainer to wait till 2021 as you would save a lot of interest (on your loan).

In terms of maintenance, there will not be a significant jump compared to X1, but yes - will be much higher than Terrano.
Would recommend getting 5 year BRI which will reduce your outflows to just service costs (average of around 25K/year), tyres in 4th year, & brake pads in the 4th / 5th year & other similar wear and tear items. Battery life is generally good but one should keep money aside for the same 3rd year onwards.
Also Fuel Economy of around 6-7 in city, 10-12 on highways.
If you're comfortable with the expenses, no harm in my opinion making the jump straight to the X3.

Also, 5 years for the X3 may go by in a flash, and with the high depreciation it makes sense to hold on to these for 7-10 years!
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 20:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

My suggestions:

1. X1 is rubbish. If you want to stick to that budget you are likely better off with a Kodiaq

2. If you are ok to increase the budget as your post suggests, X3 with a big discount definitely more worth it. I would suggest take a long warranty and with your running save the money you are spending on a service pack. You dont need it.

3. Keep the car for 6-7 years at least if buying new. My 3 GT is 5 years plus now and honestly feels absolutely tight touch wood. No reason whatsoever to change it.
Axe77 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 09:12   #5

Thank you Turbanator, lamborghini and Axe77 for your quick feedback.

One thing am very sure of now is X1 isn't the right option and directly upgrading to X3 makes more sense. Also, keeping the car for 6-7 years shouldn't be problem so worth the investment.

In context of waiting for 2021, @Turbanator, please let me know if you could find anything on X3.

I did evaluate X4 and infact, I like it more and price difference is just 1.5 lac coz X4 has more discounts. We are a family of 2 + our dog so backseat isn't used much, but it might be a problem when our parents visit us. Also boot seemed little smaller. However, I really liked the front seats of X4, heads-up display and display key are cool, plus you get M.

Heart says X4, but mind says X3

I am going to visit the showroom today and will have a second look at X4 for sure
Satyajeet02 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 12:58   #6
BHPian

I somehow feel the X4 while have a slight disadvantage on the re-sale front over the X3 however if I were you I would pick the X4. We picked up the GT over the 3 series actually since I have a soft corner for uniqueness. The X4 at just 1.5 Lakhs more is definitely very very tempting and packed to the brim. Also I just came across a couple of mint pre-owned X4 being advertised yesterday on IG. Would be worth your while to make a trip to Ashok Vihar to check them out.
Remember if it is the X4 you should visit each and every dealership in NCR to get the maximum buck.
Old 28th December 2020, 13:19   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyajeet02 View Post
please let me know if you could find anything on X3.

Current publicized discounts on X3 are 8 lac basics on MRP 61,20. You can get an additional discount of Rs 1,80 lac if you opt for finance via BMW financials or buy a package BSI/ BRI for over Rs 2 lac. Some additional corporate discounts may be available and you can squeeze 50-100K more based in the last 2-3 days.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th December 2020 at 13:20.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 19:25   #8

Thank you folks, I drove both X4 and X3 again today. Although it's the same Petrol engine I somehow found X4 more fun to drive but bit clostrophobic due to sloping roof and black roof color. X3 seemed smoother and more breathable. So we've gone ahead and booked X3. Black color with Mocha interiors

Hoping to get the delivery this week itself

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
Satyajeet02 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 21:08   #9
BHPian

Congratulations! How much was the final discount? I am also in the market for X3.
Old 28th December 2020, 22:58   #10

I am getting it for 61.15 Lac on road for Haryana registration.
Satyajeet02 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 11:00   #11
BHPian

Good choice, of the X3 over X1.

I have driven both the cars really hard during BMW track events.

The X1 offers average performance especially in FWD configuration. It does not feel like a BMW in terms of handling. In comparison X3 handles really well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd January 2021 at 15:01. Reason: Word repeated.
Old 3rd January 2021, 18:00   #12

Congratulations!
I own the X3 20d 2019 model. It is practical and rides and handles well for an SUV.
Gaurav_P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 20:06   #13
BHPian

Hi Satyajeet,

I think the only car available at Bird Gurgaon was Black with Mocha and you booked it the other car with some specs had 90km on the ODI so please check before you close the deal.

X3 is a beautiful car just wish it came with the M sport kit
Old 3rd January 2021, 21:58   #14
BHPian

Go for the X1. It is as big as the X3 inside. You won’t end up wasting a lot of interest money. Resale value will be better when you sell it in 5 years and spares/service will be lower as compared to X3. Also X1’s are more reliable.
Old 3rd January 2021, 22:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyajeet02 View Post

5. Should I be buying it now or wait for 2021 if there is any minor upgrade coming (I felt features like gesture control, bolster Adjustment were missing) but are there in X4). Also no new colors in a while :(
Delaying the purchase may give me time to better manage the finances but I'll lose the year end discount and there is 2% + price increase happening in Jan. So slightly confused here.
Congratulations Satyajeet02 on booking your beemer and wish you many happy miles with your drive. Do share the buying experience with BMW Gurgaon.
Also, I did read briefly sometime back that a facelift for both the X3 and X5 is under review and would be launched in 2021.

Per the link I found right now, the X3 facelift is slated for launch in Mid-2021. I feel this will be for European nations and India would only be getting that in Q4 2021 or early 2022. That is a long wait so I guess this is the right decision.

SOURCE
gamingstein is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks