Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Skoda Superb 196 53.55%
Toyota Camry 170 46.45%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 22:08   #31

Re: Skoda Superb vs Toyota Camry

We had the same confusion recently and test drove both the cars back to back. The Camry is starting to feel old in comparison to the updated Superb. The tech, look and feel is more current and feels superior in the Skoda. We got a good discount too on the skoda. With a price difference of over 12L the Camry just didn’t make sense.
dhruvlath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 00:02   #32
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
That is true, sedan market in general has shrunk in last 5 years or so. Especially those heading to Toyota with bagful of cash would have pre-determined mindset for Fortuner.

Also curious, why only sedans ? plenty of options for crossovers in that range.
Umm, I don't know about shrinking of the segment but fact remains, the ride quality & rear seat comfort that these sedans offer can hardly be matched by a X-over, pseudo SUV's & the likes. I had also test driven the X3 before finalising on the Camry, purely because of ingress/egress ease for parents. However, the rear seat comfort left a lot wanting, so didn't even bother with the GLC or others.

Also, side note, OP has very politely clarified that the choice is between Superb & Camry. So not sure how A-Class "Limousine" (what a misnomer that term is now, after reading the TBHP test drive!) or a 3 etc fit in the two options. Limo's were/are typically comfortable at the back, the new A-class could be everything but that!

Lastly, personally I feel, atleast in Bombay, people who are primarily chauffeur driven have moved on from the badge race i.e to buy a 3 or C, to enter lux brigade. That could also be in part to the stratospheric pricing of the Camry! A number of folks that I speak with, outside of TBHP seem to echo this opinion.

Cheers
RJK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 04:35   #33

Thanks all. Even though Camry has better reliability and services, it somehow missed the latest Superb's driving experience and looks (individual choice anyway).
After reading Skoda 2.0 strategy, I felt that they are improving on service networks and started to listen to customers now.
What I was told from Skoda:
  • 4 Year Skoda Maintenance Package (Included)
  • 4 Year Skoda Warranty (2yrs extend for 77k)
  • 4 Year Skoda Roadside Assist

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd March 2021 at 04:45. Reason: Spacing, LIST added.
sgunasek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:33   #34
BHPian

I have also decided that after years of buying used cars, my next car will be a new Camry.

Have started the test drive process already but was told yesterday that Toyota has informed all dealerships that the next deliveries of the Camry will now be in August / September. As per the sales executive this is because the new facelifted version launch is now imminent.

So let's wait and see.
kapi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 11:07   #35
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunasek View Post
Thanks all. Even though Camry has better reliability and services, it somehow missed the latest Superb's driving experience and looks (individual choice anyway).
After reading Skoda 2.0 strategy, I felt that they are improving on service networks and started to listen to customers now.
What I was told from Skoda:
  • 4 Year Skoda Maintenance Package (Included)
  • 4 Year Skoda Warranty (2yrs extend for 77k)
  • 4 Year Skoda Roadside Assist
True, very hard to ignore value proposition that the Superb offers. Go with what your heart says; you &/or your father don't want to regret after spending nearly 40L INR.
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 04:31   #36

Thanks, everyone for your views
We shortlisted Skoda Superb and glad to know the Poll reflects the same
So far we are okay with the Skoda sales team approach. I will let you know guys about my buying experience later, once confirmed.
sgunasek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 16:57   #37
BHPian

Pretty simple:

Without driving them -> Camry (more sensible & peace of mind decision). It is a very good car & the Toyota service & overall ownership experience compared to Skoda is well, not even to be compared.
Also for parents or for being chauffeured - Camry definitely. (the Toyota will handle a 3rd party driver better & why should you pay for that driver to have fun :-p )

However, if you get into both & "drive" them (err push them), the Camry will just not satisfy when compared to Superb (the heart would go for the Superb & that price is mouth watering too).

In my case, the heart always wins usually (going by the cars I choose to own ) & I tell my brain in advance, that, hey look, just going to need to spend some more money on maintenance & repairs & be done with it.

Last edited by anks_at : 17th March 2021 at 17:03.
Old 17th March 2021, 21:49   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapi View Post
Toyota has informed all dealerships that the next deliveries of the Camry will now be in August / September.
Wow!! 6 months away. It really feels like its easier to buy Bitcoins than buy a Camry in India. They simply import really limited numbers and then offload them with little or no discounts.

I honestly just don't get Toyota in India. Its like they only came here to sell Innovas and Fortuners. They may as well call their India subsidiary Innova-Fortuner India Pvt Ltd instead of Toyota India whatever.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 03:57   #39

Congratulations to others who bought it.

As you all said, Heart won!
Poll Result: Superb(55%) : Camry(45%)

Happy to inform you guys that we took delivery of Skoda Superb. I will share a detailed review along with better pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb vs Toyota Camry-superb.jpg  

sgunasek is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 06:52   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations to others who bought it.

As you all said, Heart won!
Poll Result: Superb(55%) : Camry(45%)

Happy to inform you guys that we took delivery of Skoda Superb. I will share a detailed review along with better pictures.
Stunning, many congratulations! The facelift looks especially formidable in white because of the smoked headlights and the contrasting darker accents. Post more pictures when possible .

Change the tyres if you can source Michelins.
Old 25th April 2021, 15:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations
So, you finally went along with the tide, as they say!

The Superb is just too sweetly placed in the value luxury segment, very difficult to ignore!

Do post some pictures & initial buying experience and also provide details about the final pricing, if that’s ok with you.
Old 22nd March 2023, 13:31   #42

I’m currently in the same dilemma. My Octavia (2017) has clocked over 90000kms and I am looking to upgrade to either the Superb or Camry. Please help me in deciding which one to go for.
rastogikarn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 15:37   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastogikarn View Post
I’m currently in the same dilemma. My Octavia (2017) has clocked over 90000kms and I am looking to upgrade to either the Superb or Camry. Please help me in deciding which one to go for.
The Camry is primarily aimed for people who prefer to be driven around while sitting in the backseat (like my father). The Superb left a very good impression on me, we even took a short test drive of it, but the aftersales and reliability aspect scared my father, so we decided to go for the Camry back in November 2022. Since you are used to the aftersales and the experience of driving a Skoda, I would suggest the Superb. However, based on reports on the forum and outside of it, the current model will be discontinued on 1st April 2023 & the same time, if possible, I suggest you wait it out for the next generation as I think the current generation Superb is a little too long in the tooth and might not feel like a proper upgrade from your Octavia.

Last edited by tanmay1904 : 22nd March 2023 at 15:40.
tanmay1904 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 17:44   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastogikarn View Post
If your usage is primarily within the city (slow moving traffic), you should get a Camry Hybrid without any hesitation. Our urban traffic conditions rarely present an opportunity to drive enthusiastically and it's mostly stop-and-go along with lot of steering inputs to squeeze into available gaps or taking sharp turns and so on. Camry excels in such driving conditions. It's a fabulous car for those who drive and also for passengers (front and rear) if the usage is primarily within the city.

Camry is also adequate for highway drives especially if you are not much into "spirited" driving. High fuel efficiency (without the need for a crude diesel drivetrain), long term reliability and low servicing costs, etc. would certainly enhance the overall ownership experience.

Superb, typical of many German sedans, would be the car to buy if you enjoy driving enthusiastically and your route involves fast open roads. Superb is decent for city usage also but Camry would be better by an order of magnitude for city conditions.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed