Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Skoda Superb 196 53.55%
Toyota Camry 170 46.45%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2021, 03:26   #1

Skoda Superb vs Toyota Camry

Looking for a car to decide for my father. He has got a Chevy Cruze now for about 4 years. He is a Saloon car lover.

Our priority is for Safety features, driving comfort, new tech and services. We plan to keep for atleast 4-5 years. He clocks approx 700 kms/ month (although now it got reduced due to current situation). We like all Company fitted equipment without going for any further changes.

40-50L is our planned budget. We shortlisted Skoda Superb or Toyota Camry. He did test drives of both. Each have their own strengths.

Skoda Superb:

Pros:
* Looks good
* Driving comfort
* Refreshed model(2021)
* Engaging Engine
Cons:
* Need to think about servicing
* Not sure about it being trouble free

Toyota Camry:

Pros:
* Driving is good
* Hybrid Engine (Saves fuel cost)
* Not to worry about service (might cost very less)
* Hopefully trouble free
Cons:
* Pricey with only one model option
* More lengthy

We were thinking to wait for VW Passat but no sign of release dates. Can’t wait for 3-4 months. Also considering one of the 3 Germans but it was way out of the budget and to be honest, services/ maintenance stories are horribl.

Welcome your valuable suggestions !

Last edited by GTO : 27th February 2021 at 16:21. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts
sgunasek is offline   (15) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 27th February 2021, 16:33   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Superb vs Toyota Camry

Both are amazing luxury cars without a high-end badge. The Superb can beat the 40 - 50 lakh German marques on many parameters, while the Camry is a Lexus with a "T" badge.

Both cars have their own pros & cons. Hope you've read our official reviews. If you don't mind the price difference and want absolute reliability + good service, go for the Camry. It is a true all-rounder that will keep the entire family happy! The Camry's face is a love it or loathe it design; if you prefer cleaner styling + a European build + VFM package, pick the Superb. The Superb will be the more satisfying to drive - especially with the new 2.0L turbo petrol - although the Camry is no longer boring either. On the other hand, no way will the Superb be as trouble free to own as a Camry, be it in the reliability or service quality areas. My brother was recently shopping in the segment and picked the Superb. Camry wasn't considered as we hate the face design & the price difference was 10 lakhs (we got a great discount on the Skoda).

Drive both again and pick the one that makes you smile more. End of the day, choosing between these two will come down to the price difference, brand preference & design preference.

And yes, please do keep your cars for longer. You lose way too much money changing them every 4 - 5 years.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th February 2021 at 04:08. Reason: Minor typo
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 17:16   #3
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Exact dilemma I faced before finalising & buying Camry in Jan'21. Superb is, well, a Superb car; very very hard to ignore if one can control the service aspect. Like you, this car is bought for my parents & I am in the country sporadically. However, I get the servicing done over the phone & for that aspect, nothing can come close to Toyota. Can't say the same about Skoda, whose Fabia we owned from 2011-2014. That car was solid but the service centre (JMD) was far from solid. And this was apparently better of the other rogue dealers that Skoda has!

All in all, if you can manage the sporadic troubles that may & will arise with the Skoda plus the service centre, Superb is a fantastic value for money.

Camry has its own benefits - bloody silent ride when its on battery, fabulous sound insulation, nice JBL audio, Powered seats with lumbar support, powered steering for reach and rake. In Sport mode, it does have a little grunt but one can still can't get past the fact that its a large vehicle & can't attack turns/corners & it drives like an appliance. My point of reference is our previous Honda Civic (what a fabulous steering it had!). I purposely did not drive the Superb because I knew I would be very very tempted to buy considering the value it offered at nearly 10-12L INR. Also, the MID doesn't offer trip info anywhere close to what the germans do.

We bought our car from a dealer where Toyota Tsusho holds 94% ownership, so I was pretty sure that they chances of hanky panky were very slim. That gave me a lot of solace & the experience was pretty smooth, right from booking until delivery, though they skimped on the delivery formalities like Garland, pooja, key handing over ceremony etc at the showroom citing COVID. They, however, did take me to the stockyard 2x at their expense in a new Yaris, 1st time for PDI in the yard & 2nd time for driving my car from their yard to their showroom for delivery (Yes, I'm mad & anal like that )

There, I hope I have managed to confuse you further
Feel free to ask me any specific questions related to Camry as I'm also exploring the car right now. I have been meaning to start an ownership report of the same, one day, god willing!

Cheers
RJK is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 22:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Personally I feel the Camry is the better buy any day. But ultimately depends on what deal / discounts you get at any moment. I would buy the Camry for up to 4 lakh more than a top of line Superb. But if the difference was any higher I would really struggle to decide.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 22:56   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Having owned and driven both the old Camry (business) and the Superb (personal) and driven the new Camry (brother-in-law's) I would advice Camry hands down even in my sleep. The new Camry's interiors are good, ride is great and quietness & the hybrid motor is like the Lexus ES300h. As for after sales, Skoda isn't within a hundred country miles of Toyota. The Superb may have the car enthusiast's vroom and straight line acceleration and throbbing macho engine sound and the 'thud' (so beloved of car reviewers) but trust me you don't want to deal with Skoda's ASS unless you are eager for punishment. In 14 years, yes 14 years, the Camry never had a breakdown of any kind. The Skoda in 7 years needed the breakdown van three times. You don't buy a car. You buy, in my opinion, a product plus a service over several years. That combined package must work well. Camry. All the best. Let us know what you go for.
V.Narayan is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 23:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunasek View Post
Also considering one of the 3 Germans but it was way out of the budget and to be honest, services/ maintenance stories are horribl.
I guess you answered your question here! If you are worried about service/maintenance stories of the German big 3, the Skoda has no less to offer, if not more!

I would suggest the Camry anyday. If you like the styling (it grows on you, hated it initially, absolutely love it now), this car has got it all. Loaded with features, super silent, tech laden, is also great to drive now, fuel efficient, very low maintenance, the back seat is no less than a sofa, has great road presence, and not to forget the royalty type treatment you would receive from Toyota for buying their flagship!
07CR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 04:35   #7
BHPian

Let me set the context by confessing that I am a Skoda Superb fan . It's one of those product that pleases the enthusiasts as well as leads in terms practicality. I have been driving my 1.8 TSI MT for 8 years now and I am still not able to find a worthy upgrade.

If you do a lot of highway driving you'll honestly be compelled to pick up the Superb - decent ground clearance (even when it's fully loaded), a boot that can swallow pretty much any amount of luggage, low slung seating makes cornering super comfortable for all passengers.

Coming to Skoda's ASS, surely they are not the most motivated lot to take care of your prized possession. But what has worked for me is to never leave the car for servicing or avail home pick up or drop - be there, curiously question the technicians\Service advisor working on your car so that they realize you do know about your steed and generously appreciate them for the good work. Voila! you get earnest recommendations and a car that remains trouble free. May be this is applicable for any brand but I believe it's a must with Skoda.
BrakeFree is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 08:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Think you have got the right advice but will just add an anecdote. Our company was looking for a 4 year operating lease for a car, and we found that lessors charged less for the Camry than for the Superb for a maintenance inclusive lease where they get to retain the car after 4 years. This suggests that unless there are material discounts on the Superb, the Camry will work out cheaper (perhaps due to lower maintenance costs, lower fuel bills and better resale value). I would probably still buy the Superb because I find it better to drive, but that is a personal choice.

Last edited by Hayek : 28th February 2021 at 08:30.
Hayek is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 16:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

I can see that the decision is very hard to make. Yes, there 2 are very good cars. I have no experience with the current gen Camry, but after having used the past 2, I can easily vouch that thing is made to last. It is obvious you know both the cars post their test drives. I see the only factor holding you back with the Skoda is regarding service and being trouble free. Check with your local Skoda dealer and service center. If you know someone over there or if their reputation is good, then it can be smooth sailing I guess.

Here are two links just for fun :
This is for the 2020 version

For the Video below Kindly select translate option for the webpage. Also select subtitles and select setting > subtitles>auto translate> English. (failure to do so will confuse you more, unless you know Russian )

Last edited by TrackDay : 28th February 2021 at 16:26. Reason: FORGOT TO ADD ONE MORE LINK
TrackDay is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 18:33   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Depending upon the rear seat usage, do consider the BMW 330i Sport at 42.6L ex-showroom. It will surpass both the Superb and Camry in sheer driving comfort, individuality & brand value. Service costs with a prepaid service pack will give peace of mind as well.

Of course both will blow the 3 away with their rear seat comfort while the Camry will be as reliable as a rock.
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 22:46   #11
BHPian

I noticed that you have mentioned that you only plan to keep the car for 4-5 years and the running is also on the low side.
Keeping those two points in mind, and that with discounts, the Superb is a lot cheaper than the Camry, you should seriously consider the Superb and take the 6 year warranty for peace of mind.
I personally would buy the Camry, but that's because I would like to keep it for at least a decade if not more.
rdst_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 02:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Both are amazing luxury cars without a high-end badge. The Superb can beat the 40 - 50 lakh German marques on many parameters, while the Camry is a Lexus with a "T" badge.
I agree that the price difference after discount is 8L less for Superb. So is it worth stretching for this price difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Exact dilemma I faced before finalising & buying Camry in Jan'21. Superb is, well, a Superb car; very very hard to ignore if one can control the service aspect.
Cheers
In real-time what will be the mileage for both cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Personally I feel the Camry is the better buy any day. But ultimately depends on what deal / discounts you get at any moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Having owned and driven both the old Camry (business) and the Superb (personal) and driven the new Camry (brother-in-law's) I would advice Camry hands down even in my sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I guess you answered your question here! If you are worried about service/maintenance stories of the German big 3, the Skoda has no less to offer, if not more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeFree View Post
Let me set the context by confessing that I am a Skoda Superb fan . It's one of those product that pleases the enthusiasts as well as leads in terms practicality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
I can see that the decision is very hard to make. Yes, there 2 are very good cars. I have no experience with the current gen Camry, but after having used the past 2, I can easily vouch that thing is made to last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Depending upon the rear seat usage, do consider the BMW 330i Sport at 42.6L ex-showroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I noticed that you have mentioned that you only plan to keep the car for 4-5 years and the running is also on the low side.
Most of the time, my father prefers driving. Hence we look for driving comfort as one of the primary factors. Hence Superb edges over.

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. We somehow shortlisted these cars.
sgunasek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 10:08   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree that the price difference after discount is 8L less for Superb. So is it worth stretching for this price difference?
As much as I love the Camry too, no, it's definitely not worth 8 lakhs over the Superb.

Quote:
In real-time what will be the mileage for both cars?
Superb = 7 - 8 kmpl in a city like Bombay. Camry = 14 - 15 kmpl, thanks to that hybrid magic under the hood.

Quote:
Most of the time, my father prefers driving. Hence we look for driving comfort as one of the primary factors. Hence Superb edges over.
The Camry is also fun-to-drive. In my opinion, no longer is the Camry boring or uninspiring. This is the best Camry that Toyota has ever built in terms of quality (Lexus ES like) and driving experience. Two biggest cons are the price + front end styling.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 10:35   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think the following are the key factors, in the context of the 8 lakh price difference:

1. 4 - 5 ownership range
2. Accounting for any extraordinary costs / time wastage re the Skoda factor
3. Differential mileage.

In "your" context, I think the Superb might make more sense (at that price difference), subject to your doing the calculations as well. But these are some of the specific aspects you could try to price / account for, for pure cold calculation purpose. Of course that in turn can be balanced to what your heart wants between the two.

1. With that ownership timeline, you can take comfort that an Extended Warranty will protect you against unforseen reliability related costs in the Skoda.
2. The price difference will more than cushion any mileage differential. Plus if fuel cost is something you can expense out then the additional money on fuel also won't sting so much.
3. Money saved upfront also has its own compounded growth effect if invested so not to be ignored.
4. Resale price: I am guessing the Camry will command a better resale at 5 year mark than the Superb. Please factor the relative benefit of that in the context of the up front savings.
5. Reliability issues are not just about the cost and ability to mitigate the cost. Its also about the car being available at your disposal. I have a friend who simultaneously owned a Laura and an X3. His Laura spent so much time in the garage for some niggle or the other (including long wait for parts) that he actually calculated the number of days the car was actually unavailable to him compared to the X3. That was one of his biggest peeves from the ownership experience.

So if you think through the above aspects perhaps it can help you zone in on the right car for you. All in all it would seem that the Superb will still come out on top but good to go in with your eyes open, calculations done and of course balance that with what you are really leaning towards.
Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 10:54   #15
BHPian

Tough choice. Personally, I would choose the Camry for myself, but I tend to retain my cars for a long time (think 10+ years).

In your case, considering that
a) You are planning on keeping the car for 4-5 years
b) Price difference seems to be Rs. 8-10 lakh

Take the Skoda.

Even if the Skoda gives you some headache and troubles, the Rs. 8 lakh saved will be more than enough to take care of any unforseen expenses the Skoda may have. In terms of drive and interior quality, the Skoda is far more "Superb" than the Camry.

If fuel efficiency matters a lot to you though, the hybrid set-up in the Camry may be worth it.
kadanaJ is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks