Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

View Poll Results: Which BMW?
530d 237 59.10%
M340i 164 40.90%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th April 2021, 20:13   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

Easy decision in my opinion. 530D is a poor man's 7 series. M340i is a poor man's M3. Power with comfort vs power with emotions. When I am in the market, I am never confused between these two - thanks to my very unaccommodating family. So depends on his family:-)
androdev is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 20:27   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Easy decision in my opinion. 530D is a poor man's 7 series. M340i is a poor man's M3. Power with comfort vs power with emotions. When I am in the market, I am never confused between these two - thanks to my very unaccommodating family. So depends on his family:-)
Would rather say the 6 series is the poor man's (if at all) 7 series

The 5 series would remain the firm favorite of enthusiasts and the " I must buy a car that says I have arrived " crowd.
Old 7th April 2021, 22:13   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
As a user of a 530d since 2011 and recently acquired M340i I would vote for the M340i.

The current 5 series and the M340i are not vastly different on cabin space. Changing from R18 runflats to Tubeless Michelin Pilot Sport 4S would make the ride absolutely fine for a family sedan. In comfort and eco-pro modes the M340i is absolutely sedate when you want it to be with the family. 8.8 kmpl is my city FE which is very comparable to the 9 kmpl on diesel which the 530d is likely to give.

Both cars are not comfortable for a 5th passenger. In "family" mode both cars are comparable for comfort but in "fun" mode the M340i is multiple notches above.

Yes the 5 would definitely be the more comfortable car overall for daily use and would feel immensely fun if upgrading from a 4 cylinder engine.

But there is something about a fast rev happy petrol motor and its sound that makes everything else feel less "must have". Hence my vote still remains with the M340i !
I am sort of in a similar boat and your post helps. Having driven the 340i I am quite convinced that it can play both the family man and boy racer shade relatively well. While not as plush as the 5, its still comfortable and I could see myself going long distances with the family (at-least that's how I have been selling it to my wife). I am now also being offered a irresistible deal on a 530D that I wasn't even considering earlier. Might test drive it next week and come to some sort of conclusion. But my heart is set on the M340i. How I wish the Missus at the house can be tricked easily when it comes to cars you want to get badly!

Last edited by vjbox : 7th April 2021 at 22:15.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:21   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow guys, frankly surprised to see the 530d leading this poll. It goes to show the relatively iconic status that the sedan has achieved in the minds of enthusiasts. My friend is getting influenced by the poll and your comments . I'm still pushing him toward the M340i, but have told him he can't go wrong with either. Both are special in their own way.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:59   #35
Team-BHP Support

I voted for the 530D. I havent driven a M340i but sat in one passenger last weekend. So my observations are not from driving.

Driving it may change the result but I would still hazard my pick will be 530D. Reasons:

1. The 530D is RWD (Ajmat mentioned the M340i AWD steering didn't feel as pure, Robimahanta also said his M340i steering was not same as older 328i which I picked up)
2. The 530D torque and lower rpm push is addictive. The 340i needs more revs for the same push in seats.
3. The 530D is so much more plush and luxurious. For the same price, you get performance and a lot more car for your rupee.

The 340i is for those who have some plush practical car at home already. Like a Superb, Kodiaq, Benz or similar and want something fun.

1. Grip levels will be far more than 530D.
2. More chuckable and way more fun in the twisties.

If your driving is going to be a lot in twisties the 340i is the pick.

However if you want a city and expressway stormer for long trips, the 530D is better pick.
Vid6639 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 13:00   #36
BANNED

Iíve put together attributes that an enthusiast would look for in a car and the car that gives the best of that attribute between the two cars:

Cruiser - 530d
FE - 530d
Rev happy engine - 340i
Outright performance - 340i
Handling - 340i
Driving Pleasure - 340i
Practicality - 530d
Only Family car - 530d

Itís a tough one, but given the decision criteria itís the 530d.
AMG Power is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 13:42   #37
BHPian

Given that this is going to be a family car and only car including city and highways, I'd vote for 530d, which is what the family would mostly enjoy
Ps - look wise, I like 340i more
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 14:35   #38
BHPian

The 340i it is!

The very fact that he had this dilemma tells me that he should go for the 340i eyes closed. He can meet all of his requirements with the 340i and also go hammer and tongs with it alone. Engine power and torque aside, a drivers car is ground up designed around that one activity and whether something else goes quicker or is frugal than the 340i, the fact that it is is a purer driving experience has to be valued. Having said that, only he can decide how much he values that experience.

I do not have any first hand experience with the 340i to support my thinking, other than what I have deduced reading about the car.
megazoid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 16:08   #39
BHPian

I would put the solution to this problem in the category as the Thar's.

A lot of people were confused between the convertible top and the hard top. They were all very clear that they want the Thar. People who were buying the Thar as their primary car went in for the hard top for practicality. Those buying the Thar more for fun and not as their daily driver preferred the convertible (including me)

In this case the 530d is like the hard top Thar and the M340i is the convertible top Thar.

530d is the more practical one while the M340i is the more thrilling machine.

If you have another car for long family road trips, i would strongly suggest getting the M340i.

A lot of people might find this comparison a bit weird but it will help in taking a call. My choice would be the M340i any day.
abhinavsureka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 16:15   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the toughest poll I ever faced on team-bhp. I have been thinking about this since yesterday and could not decide what choose. Only two options. And yet the toughest two options. Further, both options are great in their own rights. This is one unique poll where there is no wrong answer and yet choosing the right answer is so hard!

I am absolutely for the M340i as the best driver's car in India under Rs. 1Cr now. It appeals to the heart like no other car in this price range. This is the ultimate driving machine that BMW is known for. If I were to own a new BMW in this price range I would choose M340i eyes closed! It is the perfect car for someone like me who drives with nobody sitting in the rear seat.

I was about to vote for the M340i.

However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just a note, guys = this will be my friend's ONLY sedan. His wife has a i20 for city usage.
This single conditions changes the game. For a single family car (assuming family means someone sitting in the rear seats too), the 530d is absolutely brilliant. The one thing the 530d has which M340i does not is the adaptive/adjustable suspensions. I would love to play with the suspension settings to make the ride comfortable for my family members if they were sitting in the rear seats. And the 530d offers very good performance in its own rights, and has almost all the technology, gadgets and gizmos that the M340i has. It is an amazing car is its own right.

Therefore, I finally ended up voting for 530d, while still not 100% sure which is the right vote.

Quote:
Wow guys, frankly surprised to see the 530d leading this poll.
I think the "only family car" condition has changed the outcome. If this poll question was which of these two cars "you would choose?" (you = we bhpians), then the outcome could have been a one-sided victory for the M340i.

Last edited by vb-san : 9th April 2021 at 06:33. Reason: typo
Dr.AD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 21:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I think the "only family car" condition has changed the outcome. If this poll question was which of these two cars "you would choose?" (you = we bhpians), then the outcome could have been a one-sided victory for the M340i.
Exactly how I thought too!!. "Only car", "family" made the difference. Happy+ driver v.s. Happy All
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 21:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

The BMW 530d any day.

The car feels much more mature than the 340 - rides much much better , is insulated much much better , feels more well built , silent , has more features.

Why would anyone even consider the 340i?

I wouldnt !
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 00:43   #43
BHPian

I'd pick the M340i everyday. The 5 series due to its sheer size will never be as much fun to drive. The B58 is one of the best engines out there today and this is probably the last inline 6. If Mercedes' roadmap is anything to go by then the only petrol engines available going fwd will be 4 cylinders with electric boost.

Experience the pure joy of the B58 while you can.
Old 9th April 2021, 01:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a note, guys = this will be my friend's ONLY sedan. His wife has a i20 for city usage.
This here is the deciding factor. 530D all the way. More practical of the two. Better mileage and higher range. More space. Loving a vehicle after the honeymoon period is also important. Getting good FE and lower fuel bills while mashing that throttle like a pulpy fruit in a comfy large spacey sedan is a feeling everyone would love!!!
Old 9th April 2021, 09:30   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I would stick with the 530D as a family car than the 340i. Reasons - its from a segment above, ride and handles better and has more space and will be a whole lot more fuel efficient not only considering costs but also driving range. Imagine putting unknown quality of petrol in a performance engine in a nondescript town outside of the city. Besides, European diesel engines are known to be much more reliable in the long run than the Petrol's.

As for performance, yes that straight six B58 engine is a gem, but the straight 6 diesel is no slouch either. Yes it wont rev as high but in real life, the diesel is going to feel stronger and perhaps would have better mid range performance as well due to all that torque low and mid rev's. A diesel is also more easily modified than a petrol and much more cheaper to do so.

Most Viewed