View Poll Results: Which BMW?
530d 237 59.10%
M340i 164 40.90%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th April 2021, 09:35   #46
BHPian

Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

I voted for the M340i.

This is a difficult poll as the requirement isn't very clear. If he wants a family sedan with rear seat comfort then its going to be the 530D. For everything else its the M340i.

The M prefix is important here and not the M Sport suffix. The pre LCi 530D is almost sold out and the LCi model will be at least 10 lacs more than the M340i. So that throws out all the fuel bills and savings equation. Plus maintenance, insurance, tyres etc will cost more for the 530D. Only advantage is the range but even the M340i gives a minimum 500km range which I believe is more than enough for a long drive.

The M340i is driver focussed and there will always be a silly grin on his face every time he drives the car. The acceleration along with the exhaust note is just pure bliss. It has decent space and its compact dimensions help in our crowded cities. Granted the steering feel is not as great as an RWD but i am sure that at its limit it will be great. With Xdrive it is very hard to break traction and hence it loses out on the playfulness factor a little compared to say an 330i. When I went looking for a car around this budget i never even considered the 530D, my other option was an M2 Competition.

If the need is space and rear seat comfort, he will be better off buying a Mercedes E350 LWB.

Last edited by robimahanta : 9th April 2021 at 09:39.
robimahanta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 09:48   #47
BHPian

My two cents? 530d anyday. Have driven both G20 and the G30 and by far the latter takes the cake. The diesel will offer a far better highway range and Tier 3/4 pump juice works just as fine. Can't say the same about petrol.
What's more? The F10 is Leh tested. Also, B57 is derived from the legendary N57 and has already seen about half a decade of service without any major issues. What I've learnt from the forum is that BMW is the Maruti of Germans.

530d eyes closed. Also, I can't stand the cluster in the G20 Bring back circular clusters!
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 09:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the same situation, what would you pick and why?
Voted for 530D, primarily because of the "in the same situation" caveat. If my only other car was an i20, I would definitely want the larger 530D (LCI) for the reasons that have been covered well by other members in this thread already.

If it were me, I would pick the M340, for reasons already mentioned in this thread already and because I have the Endeavor to do the long haul drives with lots of luggage etc. The M340 would just be for joy rides and lightly packed trips with just one or two passengers.

Last edited by jfk1975 : 9th April 2021 at 09:52.
jfk1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 10:59   #49
BHPian

I would recommend the 530d as he says that it's a family car. The stiff ride of M340i would jolt the heck out of any elders who would ride in it. And with the raising fuel prices, a gas guzzler would just not sit fine with the family. If I had the choice it would be the 530d.

It's quite fun and most importantly a next segment car. So better interiors and today even a non car Indian knows that the 3 series is the base sedan in BMW's lineup. So it would be "he has bought a big BMW" rather than "he has bought a base model BMW".

Cheers
OctYFAN
Old 9th April 2021, 12:22   #50

M340i. Especially considering that they already have a good secondary car.

Both the 530d and m340i have great things going for them. As such, I propose that your friend uses this process I call 'The Road Regret Test'.

Imagine, you've spent a great deal of money and have purchased the 530d. One fine day, you're driving it down the road and you see a m40i in your rear view. Sooner or later, the m340i may, if it so desires, surge ahead leaving you behind in a great deal of instant regret (albeit, comfortable regret).

On the other hand, imagine that you've purchased the m340i and you see a 530d in front of you. Even though you may not floor it (laws exist). You can still bask in your own self satisfaction that given the opportunity, you have the ability to unleash hell. That day, there will be no regret and you will go to sleep a happy man.

My advise is accordingly.
Old 9th April 2021, 12:49   #51
BHPian

@GTO, to simplify the fix, maybe your friend can do a test drive of both the vehicles with his family and then decide with feedback from his family.

From my opinion, 530D appeals more to the mind and that is evident from the views shared by other forum members.

M340i is like accomplishing a dream to have a good sports sedan and there is no doubt denying it. Everytime your friend will have a big grin while driving it and may even forget about the fuel guzzling nature and the stiff suspension.

I was also keen to know on how much the stiffness will improve, if the rim size is lowered by an inch on the M340i and run flat tyres are changes to tubeless one's.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th April 2021 at 16:18. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 9th April 2021, 13:00   #52
BHPian

Voted 530D. I own a G30 530D and have owned an E46 330CI ZHP.

There are similarities between the E46 330CI ZHP and the M340i
1. Both were meant as a practical alternative to the M3
2. Both are inline 6 petrol engines
3. Both have performance parts bolted on (eg: lighter flywheel, LSD)

In terms of sheer driving pleasure and dynamics, the E46 ZHP or the M340i will hands down be more fun to drive. I still miss the fun of those cars. However, with the condition of Indian roads and the speed traps everywhere, how often are you going to push the car and slide it around? Plus you would not want to drive this car at its limit with passengers in the back seat, especially on the ghats

I feel the 530D is the best of both worlds, comfortable and a cruiser when you want it to be, and a hooligan which can slide around, if you can manage the torque. The highway trips I do are mostly with family, so I barely get the opportunity to push the car.

Not to mention the boot capacity. Full sized boot with a spare tire! It will be a struggle to pack for a family weekend trip in the M340i.

To sum it up, if your friend will drive it most of the time with the family in tow, better stick with the 530D.

The M340i will keep you grinning like a deranged lunatic, but the 530D will keep you smiling like a regular lunatic
silverblue is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 13:28   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I told him to get the M340i and rev away to glory! This kind of special sedan doesn't come too often, and in terms of smiles per km, it's the indisputable king from BMW's mainstream line-up. The 530d is a beautiful machine, but the M340i is drop-dead gorgeous!

There are waiting periods involved, but he doesn't mind at all.

In the same situation, what would you pick and why?
Sir your friend would be really confused now between your advice to go for the M340i and the poll results showing the 530d leading by a healthy margin.

That said, since you mentioned it will be a family car and the only sedan, then the 530d is the one to go for. As a member here already said, once the honeymoon period with the M340i will be over then the downsides would become more glaringly obvious i.e. comfort and practicality relative to the 530d. Also as you know, the 5er is no slouch by any means either and the G30 has only improved upon the strengths of the F10 and BMW has rectified some downsides like rear legroom, slight floatiness of the suspension on highway dips, etc.

But your friend will have to wait for the LCI since Turbanator sir mentioned in a thread recently that there are no 530d stock available with any BMW dealer, only the smaller engines. This would also mean that the significant discounts which were available earlier would not be there with the LCI.

Happy shopping to the gentleman

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th April 2021 at 16:19. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 9th April 2021, 13:51   #54
BHPian

I think its a no brainer in Indian conditions - 530D any day.

Being a 530D (G30) owner, I can guarantee that this comes very very close to the 340i in driving pleasure. I mean how much of a difference can 0 - 100 in 4.4 secs and 5.7 seconds (on the 530D) be. The added bonus is the space, fully loaded cabin and the snob value.

Also no one here has mentioned that the 530D sold in India comes with the M sport kit as standard, which not only looks stunning, but the M driving mode makes the car seriously delirious!!

Just go for it!
Old 9th April 2021, 14:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
I think its a no brainer in Indian conditions - 530D any day.

Being a 530D (G30) owner, I can guarantee that this comes very very close to the 340i in driving pleasure. I mean how much of a difference can 0 - 100 in 4.4 secs and 5.7 seconds (on the 530D) be. The added bonus is the space, fully loaded cabin and the snob value.

Also no one here has mentioned that the 530D sold in India comes with the M sport kit as standard, which not only looks stunning, but the M driving mode makes the car seriously delirious!!

Just go for it!
While it is perfectly agreeable that the 530d is a more practical and comfortable family car I would definitely like to assure you (as someone who has been maxing out a 530d since 2011) that the difference of 1.3 seconds on paper is like day and night in real life.

The adrenaline that an inline 6 petrol delivers when redlining in 4.4 seconds should not be compared to a locomotive-like(hugely torquey) nature of an inline 6 diesel. They are inherently very different in real life experience.

The 530d will be the choice of more people as an overall more luxurious and practical car specially as the only family car in this case ...but purely as a thrill machine the M340i is in another league
Dieselite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 14:46   #56
GTB
BHPian

M340i it should be. Surprised to see most Bhpians voted for 530d. For sheer driving pleasure, It must be B58. Of course, it is stiffer, not plush etc. The B58 makes you forget them all.
GTB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 15:35   #57
BHPian

If I am buying one, it would be 530d. Reason being, this will be the only proper highway cruncher in the garage. This will keep family happy and also the enthusiast in me.
Only if this is a 3rd car in the garage, I would go for the M340i and have loads more fun.
Old 9th April 2021, 17:07   #58
BHPian

It would be the 530d for me. I can still enjoy it to the fullest extent and still keep the family comfortable at the rear.

What I mean is, every time I'd have to enjoy the M340i, I would have to revv it high. While I'd be enjoying the time of my life, my family may not enjoy the sound from the high revving engine. I have experienced this personally with my daughter. Driving at 100 kmph makes her uncomfortable if it's done in lower gears/high RPMs. While she'd be blissfully unaware if it is done in 6th gear/low RPM.

I'd pickup the 530d, being the sleeper car

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 9th April 2021 at 17:12.
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 17:08   #59
BHPian

To be honest, none. I'd recommend him to go for the X4 30d M Sport. Here's why:

1) I love the 5 Series but its facelift model will be launched later this year in India. So go for the outgoing 530d only if it has hefty discounts or your friend doesn't like the newer horizontal L-shaped DRLs of the LCI 5 Series.

2) The 530d is a practical fast sedan but it's still not as practical as the X3 or X4. The higher ground clearance and slightly lesser turning radius are two big advantages in an SUV over sedan.

3) SUVs have higher resale value than traditional sedans. In fact, Coupe SUVs would fetch slightly better resale than a traditional SUV itself! I know this factor goes out for a toss for the luxury car buyers but if one is comparing the upfront and running costs, then why not give a thought about the resale value as well?

4) Exclusivity factor! Another reason why it justifies the above point.

5) If he's ready to wait, then please advise him to do so for another 6 months for the 5 Series facelift or get the unsold pre-facelift 5 Series model at hefty discounts. However, there's some risk involved in this scenario. 530d units might be sold out even before the newer version is launched.

P.S.: This is my first post on team-bhp. Hope, the mods are a bit liberal about the grammatical mistakes made in this post.
romil.shroff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 18:06   #60

When it comes to cars, I'm a heart-over-head guy. Sure, the 5 is from a segment above, a bigger car, more comfortable, and more suited to highway rides.

But when it comes to making your heart go ga-ga, the M340i wins by a huge margin. It's a special car, that makes your heart sing and puts a smile on your face every single time you floor that pedal.

If your friend is a car guy, he can live with the shortcomings of 340 and is going to love it for the fun it offers.

Most Viewed