Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


View Poll Results: Which BMW?
530d 237 59.10%
M340i 164 40.90%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2021, 06:36   #76
Distinguished - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 7,224 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There are waiting periods involved, but he doesn't mind at all.
In the same situation, what would you pick and why?
Any decision here? Buy the current 530D, wait for the LCI or wait for the next batch of M340ix due in Q4?

Whichever way, it's a great choice .
itwasntme is offline  
Old 9th July 2021, 17:42   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 36
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
I am sort of in a similar boat and your post helps. Having driven the 340i I am quite convinced that it can play both the family man and boy racer shade relatively well. While not as plush as the 5, its still comfortable and I could see myself going long distances with the family (at-least that's how I have been selling it to my wife). I am now also being offered a irresistible deal on a 530D that I wasn't even considering earlier. Might test drive it next week and come to some sort of conclusion. But my heart is set on the M340i. How I wish the Missus at the house can be tricked easily when it comes to cars you want to get badly!
Were you able to test drive the 530D? If so, what was your decision? There are a lot of people in the same boat as yours
animeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 01:55   #78
BHPian
 
amitverma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 398
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

@animeshc asked me to give my inputs on the whole 530d vs 530i vs 340i dilemma.
I own a F10 530d, and test drove the 530i and 340i on the weekend, so I am in a good place to comment about it.

If you're in for a performance sedan, I recommend leaving the 530i aside. It cannot hold up to the other two. Its no slouch but no where in the league of the other two cars.
I drove the 340i for a good amount of time and stretches that had bends and straights to properly give it the beans. Its properly fun, sprints to 100+ so quick, handles the bends well, is compact enough to slice it between traffic easily and confidently. But the best part was the exhaust. It was muted yet sounded kind of enough for an everyday living. The downshifts sounded so good. I was told by the SA, someone recently swapped their 530d for a 340i and has already ordered iPE exhaust for it. People really do like living on the edge, voiding warranty on a brand new BMW, I guess.

Now comes the part which should be the most interesting for you all. Is the 340i a huge step up from the 530d in terms of day to day performance? I mean it has 120 more horses, it should be right? The answer is NO!

Now when I say day to day, I mean cruising speeds and occasional downshifts to teach a lesson to that over-zealous creta guy who has no chill. (i dont know why but i see too many creta boy racers on a day to day basis, no offence though, its just a joke). For that, the 530d is MORE than enough. What it lacks in power, it makes up with the insane torque, coupled with that beautiful ZF transmission makes in gear acceleration so blissful you'll never miss the 340i. I came back from the 340i TD, being an over-zealous 530d boy-racer and trust me I was not missing the 340i's motor a single bit (not even it being a petrol and high rpms).

What I did miss though? That exhaust. I was slicing through traffic on the eway perfectly fine, in manual S mode just like I did in the 340i, but I missed that sound. The downshifts just didn't feel that special.

Now the good part about getting the LCI 530d? No xdrive, so you can still have some fun sliding the back out on empty corners. A few more features, I love the way the steering goes up when i open the door. A suspension which is good enough. And a car that just looks sooo beautiful.

Also, another shallow point is, 530d would forever be a 5 series and 340i would forever be a 3 series. 99% folks out there won't know your 3 costed 72 lacs. To them you have a car which costs 45 odd lacs. So, if its status/prestige you're after you are better off with a 5.

I didn't vote on this thread, because even with that amount of data in my head, I still can't figure out which one I'd pick if I was buying. I'm inclined towards the 3, but bear in mind that I am mostly alone in my car. If I had to pick one for my family to be in, I'd definitely pick the 530d.

So, in top gear fashion, sorry for wasting your time, goodbye and goodnight.
amitverma is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 23:07   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 36
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
@animeshc asked me to give my inputs on the whole 530d vs 530i vs 340i dilemma.
I own a F10 530d, and test drove the 530i and 340i on the weekend, so I am in a good place to comment about it.

If you're in for a performance sedan, I recommend leaving the 530i aside. It cannot hold up to the other two. Its no slouch but no where in the league of the other two cars.
I drove the 340i for a good amount of time and stretches that had bends and straights to properly give it the beans. Its properly fun, sprints to 100+ so quick, handles the bends well, is compact enough to slice it between traffic easily and confidently. But the best part was the exhaust. It was muted yet sounded kind of enough for an everyday living. The downshifts sounded so good. I was told by the SA, someone recently swapped their 530d for a 340i and has already ordered iPE exhaust for it. People really do like living on the edge, voiding warranty on a brand new BMW, I guess.

Now comes the part which should be the most interesting for you all. Is the 340i a huge step up from the 530d in terms of day to day performance? I mean it has 120 more horses, it should be right? The answer is NO!

Now when I say day to day, I mean cruising speeds and occasional downshifts to teach a lesson to that over-zealous creta guy who has no chill. (i dont know why but i see too many creta boy racers on a day to day basis, no offence though, its just a joke). For that, the 530d is MORE than enough. What it lacks in power, it makes up with the insane torque, coupled with that beautiful ZF transmission makes in gear acceleration so blissful you'll never miss the 340i. I came back from the 340i TD, being an over-zealous 530d boy-racer and trust me I was not missing the 340i's motor a single bit (not even it being a petrol and high rpms).

What I did miss though? That exhaust. I was slicing through traffic on the eway perfectly fine, in manual S mode just like I did in the 340i, but I missed that sound. The downshifts just didn't feel that special.

Now the good part about getting the LCI 530d? No xdrive, so you can still have some fun sliding the back out on empty corners. A few more features, I love the way the steering goes up when i open the door. A suspension which is good enough. And a car that just looks sooo beautiful.
Thanks a lot for the detailed response Amit and addressing the big question around day to day performance. For my scenario, its mostly going to be just two people though long drives is a common scenario (For people in Hyderabad, good weekend getaways are all 8-10 hours away!).

While my heart is sold on the 340i, my more rational better half doesn't feel its an upgrade over our current Octavia in terms of just luxury. Also, there was the obvious question around the 'usable power' difference in day to day driving or at cruising speeds.

A couple of other points I am evaluating and would welcome inputs on:

- In our test drive of the 340i, the car felt a bit bouncy at high speeds on a fairly good road. Is this expected due to the suspension and would it be another point in favor of the 530d?

- The comfort seats on the 530d just look like straight out of an Emirates business class. But since no one has explicitly mentioned it on the thread, how much of a difference do they make as opposed to the sports seats in 340i. Are they a game changer for long drives?

Since the dealer in my city doesn't have the 530d for test drive, he is offering a TD of the 630d instead to get a feel for the engine. I hope that will clarify things to some extent (though the suspension is vastly different than the 530d).
animeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 08:21   #80
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,637
Thanked: 16,464 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshc View Post
The comfort seats on the 530d just look like straight out of an Emirates business class. But since no one has explicitly mentioned it on the thread, how much of a difference do they make as opposed to the sports seats in 340i. Are they a game changer for long drives?.
To me it appears, a 530-D will be the better option for you. Someone looking for luxury, comfort and speed, nothing beats 530-D. If you are looking for a practical sports car and have a budget to adhere, 340 is the one to get. But the moment you start looking for those leather finishes on seats/ trims besides overall comfort, 340 looses out.

Yes, the seats and otherwise 530-D will be far more comfortable. There’s a reason why BMW also produce- M5
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 10:05   #81
BHPian
 
amitverma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 398
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

To be honest the drive wasn't long enough for me to actually judge the seats. 30 mins is way too short a span to comment about 340's seats. But for what its worth, they weren't bad at all.
I'd also like to add a bit about the 5's dynamics. My F10 feels huge (to drive) when compared to the G30. The new 5 feels a lot more nimble, easily chuckable around bends. I def want to recommend you the 530d. Not financial advise.
amitverma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 11:24   #82
Distinguished - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,398
Thanked: 9,492 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

The highlight of current BMWs is their ZF 8sp and it must be experienced with a petrol engine. For this reason, I would drop 530D and choose from 340i and 530i. While 530D is an outstanding car, it is meant for going fast with lot of power in reserve, etc. typical of a powerful diesel. Many people love this characteristic of 530D but to enjoy this trait you got to be on open roads and consistently doing high speeds. ZF+petrol motor is magical - you invariably develop the habit of manual shifting, enjoying playful driving without having to be dangerously fast. You can even enjoy it standing still if you got a lovely exhaust sound. These days every other car is able to sustain 120+ kmph with ease - overtaking them to score a win is juvenile and dangerous.
androdev is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 23:04   #83
BHPian
 
amitverma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 398
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The highlight of current BMWs is their ZF 8sp and it must be experienced with a petrol engine. For this reason, I would drop 530D and choose from 340i and 530i. While 530D is an outstanding car, it is meant for going fast with lot of power in reserve, etc. typical of a powerful diesel. Many people love this characteristic of 530D but to enjoy this trait you got to be on open roads and consistently doing high speeds. ZF+petrol motor is magical - you invariably develop the habit of manual shifting, enjoying playful driving without having to be dangerously fast. You can even enjoy it standing still if you got a lovely exhaust sound. These days every other car is able to sustain 120+ kmph with ease - overtaking them to score a win is juvenile and dangerous.
I agree and disagree. The torque makes 530d a better machine in traffic. Contrary to what you said, you'd need wide open roads to fully enjoy the 340i. Had I not taken the 340i to a stretch with lesser traffic, I wouldn't have had any fun and would've come back disappointed. In fact, event to hear the roar of the exhaust you'd have to give it the beans. Until you pass 4000 rpms the exhaust sounds very muted. But still better than a normal one I'd say. I do agree that 340i with the exhaust would be a MORE fun to drive car. But if we bring in practicality into the equation, 530d might just top it.
At the end of the day its a very close battle and everyone needs to weigh in their own preferences as both of these cars are very closely matched.
amitverma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 08:18   #84
Distinguished - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,398
Thanked: 9,492 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
...The torque makes 530d a better machine in traffic. Contrary to what you said, you'd need wide open roads to fully enjoy the 340i. Had I not taken the 340i to a stretch with lesser traffic, I wouldn't have had any fun and would've come back disappointed. In fact, event to hear the roar of the exhaust you'd have to give it the beans. Until you pass 4000 rpms the exhaust sounds very muted.....
Good points and I agree with you 100%. Valid only in auto mode though. Try driving in manual mode and you will find 340i has much more playful character, it's extremely addictive.

I honestly don't think there is much confusion between 340i vs 530d as they are from different segments and targeted at different customers.

The real confusion is between 530D and 530i and IMHO people underestimate the role of the latest ZF8 transmission in picking up their cars. Test drive 530i in manual mode and take a call, you might fight it too good to be true that the car you liked more is cheaper.
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 13:08   #85
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Chennai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 508 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshc View Post
Were you able to test drive the 530D? If so, what was your decision? There are a lot of people in the same boat as yours
Sorry about the late response. No mate, the second wave happened and things went for a toss. The BMW SA is still keen to sell either a 530D or a the 340i but I had to defer it for now on account of other clashing priorities but looking to open up the venue soon. My wife is still holding the ground for a S90 or a XC60
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 19:20   #86
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,980
Thanked: 2,651 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The real confusion is between 530D and 530i and IMHO people underestimate the role of the latest ZF8 transmission in picking up their cars. Test drive 530i in manual mode and take a call, you might fight it too good to be true that the car you liked more is cheaper.
Both these cars have ZF8, am I correct? Or may be I missed something?
anandpadhye is offline  
Old 22nd July 2021, 08:54   #87
Distinguished - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,398
Thanked: 9,492 Times
Default Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Both these cars have ZF8, am I correct? Or may be I missed something?
Transmission is a big part of sports car experience and //M cars in the past were using SMG, DTC, etc. as transmissions tech used in regular cars was not considered good enough for sports cars. However ZF8 changed all that and not just BMW //M, many sports car brands have switched to ZF8. IMHO ZF8 is a very big deal in the current market. I like the fact that 530i is the cheapest 5 series (and generously discounted) and comes with ZF8. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that 530i, being a smaller engine, benefits the most from a sophisticated transmission like ZF8.

One really doesn't and needn't care much about what transmission 530D uses - it has so much power in reserve, you hardly ever need to be in the perfect gear. There is a negligible reward for being in the right gear (or more importantly in the wrong gear) unlike 530i.

All this is not relevant to those who use comfort-auto mode 90% of the time.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks