View Poll Results: Which BMW?
530d 259 57.81%
M340i 189 42.19%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 14:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The inevitable dilemma | BMW 530d vs M340i

If it’s the only car (i20 aside) and is to be used as a family car then it’s a no brainer, only the 530d will do. For his use case if he gets carried away with the M340i he will be disappointed once the honeymoon period with the car is over and practicality sets in.

This one is an extremely clear case of letting the head rule over the heart or regret later.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

In the same situation, what would you pick and why?
You’ve phrased the question perfectly because there is no right answer to the above. And it really comes down to what each person would pick for “himself”.

My vote would go to the 530d if I were in the same situation. When you are splurging big money on the purchase and its your only sedan, then it better add comfort in DOLLOPS! And the 530d will be far more comfortable on the ride quality. A long drive with the family is fun when the entire family is happy in the car, not just the person at the wheel. Also, for all the city movement when you are not revving, the M 340i will be needlessly uncomfortable.

I would much rather be smiling with my foot plastered on the accelerator knowing that I am not simply racing to the immediately next petrol bunk. There is definitely value in having a performance car that is stupidly fuel efficient. Also takes away the hassle of frequent fuel stops. An added advantage.

Finally given our roads, I think the 530d gives more than enough thrills to handle and the incremental value of the 340 is not worth the compromise it comes with.
Axe77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 14:36   #18
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Superb problem to have!
Voted for 530d, tried & tested, most importantly family car. M340i would be very nice to have but if road trips are going to be done, extra space definitely would come in handy. Having driven neither of them, my opinion counts for nothing really but just thinking if I were to buy & elderly folks would be involved.
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 15:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the 530D with the caveat that your friend should wait for the LCI with the updated headlights & other tweaks.

That will be the icing on the cake and will future proof the 5 for the next 7/8 years at least.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 15:27   #20
BHPian

I’d say if he can wait for a couple of months, he’ll have a lot more clarity.
The G30 LCI is just around the corner (considering the 6GT launches tomorrow)
With the facelift, BMW India might just bring along the 540i (who knows ) and that would end things once for all. Regardless, the G30 makes more sense for him. The facelift will make it a no brainier. (I love how the facelift looks)
With the M340i, he might want a larger and a more comfortable car a few years down the line. With the 5, the only thing he can ever want is more driving pleasure and the N57/B58 are quite mod friendly engines so he’ll be covered from that end.
advaydh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:09   #21
BHPian

Interesting thread, being the owner of a F10 530d and G30 530i, I can vouch that the G30i is miles ahead of the F10 as far as the chassis, and driving dynamics are concerned.
Further having owned the E90 325i back in the day I think I can give my comment on the 6 cyinderl BMW pots, though the 340i being turbocharged will be even better, but for basics as the 30d engine on the F10 and G30 are basically the same.

Viz a Viz 30d vs 40i, 30d is a fast engine , 40i is a sporty engine, there's no comparison, whatever the paper might say, when it comes to on road performance as much as we love the 30d, the 40i is beyond comparison, to be honest I am secretly praying with the G30 LCI they get in a 540i and I'll be at my dealership for a swap. I saw the LCI in London recently and it looks sweet.

AS @GTO mentioned however, the 5 is more sorted product, its from a higher segment, better materials and looks classier (according to me at least), and that's how I prefer my car, to have the performance but not show it, the 3 on the other hand screams performance, so it's your personal choice of what you prefer.

Further the 3 is a newer product so more relevant and has the potential to be a collectors as we face the onslaught of EV's and hybrids upon us.

As far as the comments on the fuel efficiency are considered, I won't buy that argument , the M340i wont be on any discounts whereas the 530d in the range on 5Lakhs(I have been told discount's have dried up in COVID) Please correct me if wrong. So with that at an ex showroom price 7 Lakhs cheaper, you'd save decent enough money on fuel in the long run, also services might be similar or cheaper, plus after the initial few months, those long runs especially with family are easy cruising rather than outright performances so highway FE should be fine with the 340i as well, also the 30d does not have FE figures to run home about especially in town, where as my 530i G30 (Albeit a 4 cyl) is ahead of my F10 30d both in performance and FE.
Further these might be the last few opportunities to get a 6 cylinder ICE, and I'd not let go of the opportunity to chose a BMW 6 cylinder Petrol engine, let alone the shrinking diesel market.
Also as you mention that he might long distance cruising, in particular if he decides to go to the hills in the winter or similar terrain, the all wheel drive is an added bonus.

For Value for money and class, I will say go for the 5. For outright enjoyment go for the 3.
np23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:25   #22
MCR
BHPian

Voted for M340i. I am sure 530D's suspension is no match to that of a Mercedes E Class. The length of the 5 series may be slightly higher but the effective cabin space is again marginally better than the 3 series.
If you like to drive with your spouse in the passenger seat and kids in the rear seat, M340i should be the car to go with. If you feel the ride quality is stiff, which means you are looking for comfort over driving dynamics, then you should simply buy the E Class.

Note : The new E class beats the 5 Series hands down in terms of quality, space and NVH.

Last edited by MCR : 7th April 2021 at 16:27.
MCR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:31   #23
BHPian

Both are great cars in their own respects... but I 'd suggest the 530d for:
(1) that additional snob value (over the 3 as nobody besides Team-bhp knows this is a M340),
(2) diesel that wont pinch when having all the fun
(3) that long range from a tankful allowing for trips
(4) good quality diesel availability most of the country (v/s scarce good quality petrol pumps needed for M340),
(5) better comfort to live with every day for the family
(6) relatively better engine parts/consumables availability
(7) good resale when that matters (depreciation disaster for petrol cars)

End of the day it would be a heart (M340I) v/s head (530DM), the later is a more practical choice.

Last edited by AirWind : 7th April 2021 at 16:33.
Old 7th April 2021, 16:33   #24
BHPian

I would pick the 530d any day ! True, it does not have all wheel drive and is a diesel car but it has much more features.

He can chose to buy the current 530d before the face lifted model is launched in May 2021 (the face lifted 6 series is launching tomorrow); great discounts can be availed. Dealers are offering fabulous discounts; I bought a 520d after I was offered a "cannot refuse" on road price
Old 7th April 2021, 16:35   #25
BHPian

If I am driving a 530d, any S4 / S5 / M340i / C43 AMG / Boxster / Cayman / Z4 etc would make me a bit jealous while they go screaming past me.

On the other hand, if I am driving the M340i, nothing less than a 911 would call for the feeling of envy.

And for that reason alone, I would pick the M340i any day of the week. It may be less practical, but it will keep that completely unnecessary and illogical desire to upgrade away for a longer period of time
d3mon is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
If I am driving a 530d, any S4 / S5 / M340i / C43 AMG / Boxster / Cayman / Z4 etc would make me a bit jealous while they go screaming past me.

On the other hand, if I am driving the M340i, nothing less than a 911 would call for the feeling of envy.

And for that reason alone, I would pick the M340i any day of the week. It may be less practical, but it will keep that completely unnecessary and illogical desire to upgrade away for a longer period of time
Totally agree with d3mon, Also, the limited quantity of M340i available will ensure the exclusivity & resale intact
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:53   #27
BHPian

I would say go for 530d with eyes closed, it's a complete package and value for money compared to 340i.

Ofcourse the numbers are staggering in 340i but trust me you won't need that much power often on our roads. 530d will not disappoint you one bit.
Old 7th April 2021, 18:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
A friend wants to buy a BMW and called me with his dilemma. Fellow has driven my remapped 530d and totally loves it.

I told him to get the M340i and rev away to glory! This kind of special sedan doesn't come too often, and in terms of smiles per km, it's the indisputable king from BMW's mainstream line-up. The 530d is a beautiful machine, but the M340i is drop-dead gorgeous!

There are waiting periods involved, but he doesn't mind at all.

In the same situation, what would you pick and why?
My perspective as a user of G30 530d: I have not driven or seen M340i in person, so no idea about ride quality.
1) Sheer driving pleasure: If he is gonna use self drive, M340i, its the only way a driver feels the difference in petrol horses vs diesel torque. The looonnngggg rev range will make him more happy. My experience: I wanted to sell my Remapped Jetta after test driving VW GTI. I know its never a comparison but octavia 1.8 TSI felt smoother and faster. Point to note, 530d is equally smoother, but the monster torque comes on after 1800 rpm almost. So after some months of driving, you will not be caught by surprise in diesel while M340i is guaranteed to surprise you with that raw power.

2) Family comfort: 530d comes with Msport suspension and is harsh too. You and family would not like to ride it fast through rough roads like typical german flattening out at higher speeds. my family complains from backseat whenever there is a broken surface under the car. I am sure things will be same for M340i as well.

3) Back seat comfort: I would advise him to personally sit in the backseat of both cars back to back and check the upright angle. My wife during our first long trip complained of back pain that she never had during 7 years of trips in humble Jetta. So its not only legroom that matters as per most of the reviews online, its also how upright the seating is. I am not sure if there is a significant difference in room in back seat in both the cars.

4) Mileage: Would he really care about it while spending 80 big ones? I am sure driven sedately even M340i would touch double digits.

5) Looks: Now these are subjective. I personally love the way 5 series looks, specially 530d. A proper executive understated design. 3 would anyday look smaller.

6) Boot space: you need to see if M340i comes with spare wheel in boot for those long drives and whats left as a effective usable boot space. 530d has decent boot space for a family of four.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 18:19   #29
BHPian

As a user of a 530d since 2011 and recently acquired M340i I would vote for the M340i.

The current 5 series and the M340i are not vastly different on cabin space. Changing from R18 runflats to Tubeless Michelin Pilot Sport 4S would make the ride absolutely fine for a family sedan. In comfort and eco-pro modes the M340i is absolutely sedate when you want it to be with the family. 8.8 kmpl is my city FE which is very comparable to the 9 kmpl on diesel which the 530d is likely to give.

Both cars are not comfortable for a 5th passenger. In "family" mode both cars are comparable for comfort but in "fun" mode the M340i is multiple notches above.

Yes the 5 would definitely be the more comfortable car overall for daily use and would feel immensely fun if upgrading from a 4 cylinder engine.

But there is something about a fast rev happy petrol motor and its sound that makes everything else feel less "must have". Hence my vote still remains with the M340i !
Dieselite is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 19:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Just a note, guys = this will be my friend's ONLY sedan. His wife has a i20 for city usage.
I have tried to have this dilemma in my dreams quite a few times and many a times 5 series wins, simply because of a more usable boot. If this is going to be their only family car for highway trips, a bigger boot might be a very big plus.

I know it sounds very undramatic, but on our highway trips, the boot of my Vento almost always gets full (With a small sealed box for Sub in it). If there is 1 extra person travelling with us (Either one of our parents), the luggage has to be adjusted in the cabin.

Rachit

Most Viewed