Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2021, 00:32   #1

Buying a used Ford Mustang, but it's out of state. Now what?

Hello BHPians. This is my first post on site.

I am looking to buy Mustang (2016 model). Issue is all used cars I'm finding are out of state and I'm a resident of Maharashtra. Seeing as the cost of the car I wish to buy is around 60 lakhs, I am worried about the road tax etc, that I might face while re-registration to a Maharashtra number. Is it worth doing this for an out of state car? What sort of taxes I'm likely to pay?

Also car has a VIP number, will I be able to retain this number? Thank you for your time and help.
chocoboycc is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 01:43   #2
BHPian

re: Buying a used Ford Mustang, but it's out of state. Now what?

Plenty of used Mustangs in the state of Maharashtra.Look at classifieds from Mumbai /Pune.There's a Mustang for sale from almost every exotic dealer worth his salt.

That way you wouldnt have to go through the hassle of changing registration/re-registration.
octane1002 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 08:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoboycc View Post
Also car has a VIP number, will I be able to retain this number? Thank you for your time and help.
In Karnataka, you can pay KA road tax and receive a new RC card retaining the same out-of-state number. Optionally you can also apply for a KA number - but this is not mandatory. However having an out of state number is an invitation to get stopped by police, etc. so most people get a KA number.

I don't see why you would want to take the trouble to look outside MH - I am sure there is ample choice in MH.
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 09:57   #4
BHPian

I'm bumping this thread as I was always curious, but what is the procedure and cost to change registration from any out of state car to that states? (incase of used cars as this topic states) Say DL to MH? Rightly said having a different state car is an invitation to get stopped by the cops.

What happens to road tax paid at (DL) and does one again have to pay full registration & Road tax at (MH)?

Last edited by Aditya : 5th May 2021 at 19:43.
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 10:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post

What happens to road tax paid at (DL) and does one again have to pay full registration & Road tax at (MH)?
The Road Tax is generally for 15 years. So, if you are buying a 5 year old car, you will have to pay the tax for the remaining 10 years. Some states calculate using a depreciation of value method, where you have to pay a certain percentage for a particular age. Some states have an option of paying for 5 years irrespective of the age of the car.

Tax rate (%) is calculated just like a new car, based on the invoice value of the new car, particular variant.

Other than Road Tax, there isnt much of an expense (may be broker fees, and green cess etc..etc..) while transferring into other state.

You will have to physically show the car to the RTO inspector for him to verify the engine number and chassis number, only then will he allow to pay the tax.
dhanushs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 11:12   #6
BHPian

There are plentiful MH registered mustangs on sale. Any reputed exotic dealer should be able to get his hands on one for you. Infact there's already one on sale on our classifieds page owned by a BHPian and in your budget already. Do check this out

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy.../Mustang.html/
sodapop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 01:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the links and advice given above, I'll also list a few more examples.

2017 Mustang @ BBT

2016 Mustang @ BBT

2017/18 Mustang @ Delhi
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 10:21   #8
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Ford Mustang, but it's out of state. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Plenty of used Mustangs in the state of Maharashtra.Look at classifieds from Mumbai /Pune.There's a Mustang for sale from almost every exotic dealer worth his salt.

That way you wouldnt have to go through the hassle of changing registration/re-registration.
The most apt and most concise advice! I think it just makes more sense for you to get a car from Maharashtra itself to avoid any hassles or unnecessary interaction with the cops. A couple of my friends own out-of-state cars and they gave up after trying that strategy for the first time. Sometimes traffic cops in certain areas seem to have an affinity when it comes to out-of-state cars.

There are many examples of beautiful mustangs that are here in Maharashtra, many of them are currently on sale. If you have a car hunter in your circle, definitely make use of him/her in this case. Many of these mint beauties are never listen with dealers and are sold through WOM.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th May 2021 at 06:29. Reason: Aptest - most apt
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 21:32   #9
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Ford Mustang, but it's out of state. Now what?

Keep having a look at cartrade. They usually list cars from Mumbai/Pune. Btw, where do you live in nashik?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks