Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2021, 18:11   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That definitely sounds assuring

Some owners say positive things about LR, but in private, most of them had their own share of issues.

You have not mentioned if you/ your dad will drive mostly or will you be sitting in the rear, in which case, how much is the rear seat comfort important?

Are the road conditions so bad that you need only SUV or is this just more from a practicality/ image point.
Dad is a car nut himself. He would choose not to travel if he's not given the wheel. He drove the Disco TD Vehicle back in November, and absolutely fell in love with the way it cruises.
Which Luxury SUV for <75 lakhs OTR?-img_0ef8913b6ec51.jpeg

Road Conditions are horrendous, not everywhere but atleast the places where he travels for business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Discovery Sport is one of the most reliable cars from the JLR stable. I have a few friends here in UK who drive the Disco Sport and are happy with their vehicles. They do not go offroad though.

What is the on-road price of the new Defender?

Not me for sure The RRS has been so reliable that I went ahead bought another Land Rover!
No wonder almost every Used Disco Sport in India seems to have clocked at least 30,000 Kms. Can't say about the other models, but If reliability were such big of an issue particularly with the Disco, you wouldn't find so many of the used ones and those too with big numbers on the odo.

How has been your use-case with your Landie like? Do you use it as a primary vehicle or somewhat like an occasional weekend ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
In that case this is the time for people who want a Diesel XC60 to pick up the car at a discount when the model year roll over happens
Have to say, This model year stuff sometimes save fortunes for buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
JLR is still kind of notorious for their reliability issues. I wouldn't try my hand with them yet. Instead, if possible stretch your budget a bit and get a Mercedes-Benz GLE 300d or a BMW X5. Try and find cars out of state too which dealers might be willing to ship if you're not wanting to deal with the local guy.

Since you mentioned offroadability, I'd say the only JLR product worth seeing is the Defender. Yes, it's expensive, but if you afford it, might be a good choice.
If size wouldn't have been a deciding factor, I would rather go with the Endeavour happily. Or the Defender .I personally love the Defender (It looks Gigantic in person, pictures just don't do justice to its beauty.)
Which Luxury SUV for <75 lakhs OTR?-img_9789.jpg

For reference, That's the evoque standing next to it.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th May 2021 at 21:47. Reason: Removed bold fonts. Thanks.
RishavRBhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 20:51   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: Which Luxury SUV for <75 lakhs OTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishavRBhardwaj View Post

How has been your use-case with your Landie like? Do you use it as a primary vehicle or somewhat like an occasional weekend ride?
We have a 2011 (2012 Model) Range Rover Sport here in UK that we got in 2019. We have clocked 17K Miles (27K Kilometers) after that and it has been a fantastic experience so far. I was quite worried when we bought the vehicle as we hear so many horror stories all around. But I always had the feeling that if you. love your vehicle and maintain it properly, it returns the favour. You can look at my ownership review here -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ver-sport.html (One Life, Live It - My Range Rover Sport)

We have done a few very long distance trips in Europe and the car has not let us down. A couple of travelogues, one more is there in the assembly line that I have not been able to complete yet.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ver-sport.html (White Alps to the Blue Mediterranean in a Range Rover Sport)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ver-sport.html (Winter Scotland in a Range Rover Sport)

As I told Turbanator, we have been so happy with the Range Rover that we bought a 2014 Defender a couple of weeks back

Quote:
I personally love the Defender (It looks Gigantic in person, pictures just don't do justice to its beauty.)
I see a few new Defenders here everyday and you are right, it is huge. Standalone it does not look that imposing, but when standing next to other vehicles, it looks imposing. It is as tall as the old Defender and much much wider.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 10th May 2021 at 20:55.
BlackPearl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 21:19   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dad is a car nut himself. He would choose not to travel if he's not given the wheel.

Quote:
I personally love the Defender (It looks Gigantic in person, pictures just don't do justice to its beauty.)
In fact, I will also recommend the same if you can extend your budget a bit. It's a completely new platform and gets a lot of features even in base trim (cooled seats) It will also look completely different and new.

But if you are on a budget and are ok with Lexus (LR) Motors, no harm in trying. We have very few JLR owners and your purchase will surely increase confidence in the brand.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 21:46   #19
Team-BHP Support

In these parts, it is difficult for me to recommend a Range Rover to someone. If something apart from regular service would be needed, I am unsure if the dealership / service center would have the required parts if they somehow are able to diagnose the issue which is a herculean task in itself, believe me.

For small issues / irritants their standard reply is - It is like this only.

One of my friend who has a Discovery Sport HSE is completely fed up & this is the list of parts which were changed at a mere ~7,000 kilometers.

Which Luxury SUV for <75 lakhs OTR?-whatsapp-image-20201010-10.45.13.jpeg

But this issue is nothing compared to hiring a flat-bed and sending it to Lucknow / NCR / Calcutta for these issues.

Wherever he goes, takes a back-up SUV and has saved the flat bed guy's number in his fast-dial.

I would recommend to speak with few friends / acquaintances of yours who have SUV's in this segment and get it serviced in Ranchi / Jamshedpur. Listen to them, take test drives, visit their service centers and see as to how things are being handled.

In these covid times, even this is difficult, so please exercise caution and stay safe.

Post the novelty of the new car wears off, going somewhere or sending the car on flat-bed to any place for routine service maybe manageable, but what if irritants / issues crop up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Not me for sure The RRS has been so reliable that I went ahead bought another Land Rover!
BP man, please don't compare Indian conditions and diagnostic ability of a mechanic / serviceability to that of your flawless experience of UK.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th May 2021 at 22:16.
Sheel is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 22:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I would recommend to speak with few friends / acquaintances of yours who have SUV's in this segment and get it serviced in Ranchi / Jamshedpur.
Have been constantly poking the Land Rover dealership about reliability. If something crops up, they've assured that they normally send a team to fix the car right here. I don't have to send it directly to Kolkata/Lucknow. It is basically a Tata workshop which they use. (Even for the service) Only in cases of technical failures, the car would have to be taken away.
That gives me atleast a bit of mental peace.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 11th May 2021 at 01:08. Reason: Broken quotes. Thanks.
Old 11th May 2021, 00:13   #21
BHPian

Would you mind extending your budget and try Porsche Macan
Its not bulky, good ground clearance, you and your dad would love driving and no reliability issues, I don't have to wear a smile every time I go behind the wheel
a4_attitude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 09:25   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which Luxury SUV for <75 lakhs OTR?

Quote:
Ride Quality
Offroadability
Highway-Mile munching (Most Important)
With my experience, I can tell you to separate out offroadability & on-road ability in your luxury SUV. For one, you will always be worried about damaging a 3-lakh rupee headlight or a scratch on that shiny expensive paint. Second, I had once taken a Freelander through some basic offroading in Pawna which even a Duster AWD would do (heck, my Jeep could do it in 4x2 mode). Ended up with all kinds of warning lights and a visit to the workshop. Only exception to this rule is something like a Landcruiser.

No way would I recommend a Land Rover / Range Rover in India. Reliability is one thing, but the awful after-sales and L-O-N-G spare part wait periods are another. Sure, you will come across some satisfied Land Rover / Range Rover owners. Every brand has them. What matters is the % of problematic cars and the fact is, Land Rover / Range Rover have the most problems per 100 cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
One of the best crossovers money can buy today . Damn thing handles like no crossover has a right to. Brilliant and way too much fun. Space is at a premium though.

Would also consider a 6-cylinder BMW X5 (BMW's engines + gearbox + reliability are the best in the business) or used options like a 6-cylinder GLS / Audi Q7. Some of them are going at really tempting prices under your budget. If you get a certified one and take extended warranty, the risk is zero.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 09:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't have to send it directly to Kolkata/Lucknow. It is basically a Tata workshop which they use. (Even for the service) Only in cases of technical failures, the car would have to be taken away.
That gives me atleast a bit of mental peace.
I don't know if I understand this correctly. But if the car is going to be serviced in a Tata service center, that is enough reason to avoid it from your shortlist. After spending 75 lakhs, I wouldn't want to give the car to a TASS.
padmrajravi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 10:42   #24
BHPian

I would strongly urge you to stretch a bit and get something along the GLE/X5/XC90 range.
XC90 - OTR 1.04 Cr but one can get it for around 91L
X5 Diesel - OTR 98L Not a lot of discounts as it is not really being produced much, my dealer in Lucknow is saying to wait till July/August only then I can get my desired spec
GLE 300d- OTR 89L (4/5Lakh discount but only if stock is available)

Amongst these cars, my pick is the X5 as I found it to be the most balanced. I absolutely loved the XC90 in terms of feel and cabin ambience but it lacked w.r.t to driving dynamics relatively.
The GLE absolutely doesn't feel like a 90Lakh car to me (fake leather interior, equipment less than a KIA Seltos, etc)
The XC90 blows in terms of quality and X5 in terms of drive, GLE is in a no-mans land

But with that being said all 3 cars will appeal to you considering your given criteria
Aaroah is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 13:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's an OKish, especially in 4cylinders. Besides, as Sheel has summed up brilliantly, there are challenges in getting such cars serviced. God forbid, if any accidental repairs or something that's not under regular maintenance, these cars can be sitting at the dealership forever. The nearest Porsche centres will be in Delhi/ Kolkatta.

I was checking the price of X5 and find it gone to 87 lac Ex-showroom for the diesel with almost little discounts and no availability. Last Year around March, we bought one at 67 Lac ex Showroom after discounts And BMW has removed a lot of features from the 2019MY.

My suggestion, this cannot continue, so perhaps it's time to sit tight for some time. Most listed companies are turning up the highest profits in history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
On Porsche India website, only 3 dealers / ASC's show up. 2 in Bombay and 1 in Ahmedabad.

No, there are 5 not of any help to OP.

https://contact.porsche.com/middle-e...ia_/testdrive/

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th May 2021 at 14:08.
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 13:53   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On Porsche India website, only 3 dealers / ASC's show up. 2 in Bombay and 1 in Ahmedabad.

A good choice for someone from Bombay / Pune / Surat / Indore / Rajkot or other nearby places. Or, you have a multi car garage and you don't mind a month or two of downtime. Must admit, a Porsche pulls heart-strings like very few can / do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
One of the best crossovers money can buy today . Damn thing handles like no crossover has a right to. Brilliant and way too much fun. Space is at a premium though.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 13:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I was checking the price of X5 and find it gone to 87 lac Ex-showroom for the diesel with almost little discounts and no availability. Last Year around March, we bought one at 67 Lac ex Showroom after discounts And BMW has removed a lot of features from the 2019MY.

My suggestion, this cannot continue, so perhaps it's time to sit tight for some time. Most listed companies are turning up the highest profits in history.
X5 at 67L ex-showroom! Damn, I have been quoted 98L and 1.0Cr for the petrol and diesel respectively with no or marginal discount(2-3 Lakh)
20+ Lakh price increase and then to hear stuff being omitted leaves a very very bad taste. Waiting a bit seems to be the only plausible option
Old 11th May 2021, 14:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I can't agree more. To be honest though, It will be real task to let go the Disco. I'm not sure if Dad would still want to have it.

What should be the right course of action according to you if I start having problems with the car? Whom should I contact/email for help if something really goes wrong?
Old 11th May 2021, 15:17   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It will be real task to let go the Disco.

What should be the right course of action according to you if I start having problems with the car? Whom should I contact/email for help if something really goes wrong?
Not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you have decided on JLR Tata, will see when the push comes to shove. Ping this guy, he has some good connections and may be known to you in the extended circle.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...namic-lux.html (Meet Panda! My Land Rover Discovery Sport "HSE Dynamic Lux")
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 15:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if I understand you correctly, but if you have decided on JLR Tata, will see when the push comes to shove.
Dad just wants the discovery sport. After this whole thread though, I guess he might as well change his mind, fingers crossed.

Quote:
this guy, he has some good connections and may be known to you in the extended circle.
Still a newbie, can't PM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks