Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2021, 10:17   #1
kdp
BHPian

Audi A6 vs BMW X3 vs Mercedes GLC

Hello Team,

As part of a planned relocation to Gurugram/Gurgaon, I have the option to pick up a Car. Parameters important to me are safety, ease of service, and suitability for NCR roads. I have a narrow yet confusing contention set and I was hoping Gurugram residents could weigh in with their perspective. The new car's usage will be primarily by a Chauffeur/spouse (and me as a secondary user), as I have an F-series X3-3.0D which will continue to be my daily driver.

Important considerations :

1. Safety - Apart from the NCAP results, what's also important is trackability on a real-time basis - given that a lot of chauffeur usage.

2. Uptime - I use this term not just to include overall reliability but speed, efficiency, and courtesy during service and repair.

3. Comfort - overall ride comfort as well as internal space, including the rear.

4. Roadworthiness - how well it can handle NCR and surrounding roads. not just potholes but also speed-breakers.

5. Boot space

other factors such as TCO (Separated from uptime) while germane are not critical. A better sound system is a nice-to-have but not a dealmaker, a poor sound system without airplay would be a dealbreaker.

The options:

Audi A6 Technology - test drove it in Mumbai. Loved the space, comfort, and sound system. Performance was also quite perky for its use-case. This is the default option - and can be made available quite soon.

G series BMW X3-Sport X - have not even sat inside let alone drive. but the spec sheet shows a fairly truncated feature list. On the plus side is the high familiarity with the user interface (this would be the 5th BMW for the family in a 6 year period- changes due to geographical relocation). The downside is familiarity and similarity to the other car. I assume space and comfort will be a step up on the f25 that I already own.

Mercedes GLC200 - sat inside but could not get TD. Loved the interiors and the feature set (including tracking and geofencing) and well.. Mercedes has always been aspirational. The downside is lack of space and possibly anodyne driving experience.

Volvo XC60 - this is a left-field choice and included only based on features and specs from the website. Volvo has always been max on safety and this seems like a good paper choice. will need to open a conversation with the dealer to make it fit the budget. but know very little about product, reliability, and serviceability.

The first two are immediately possible (though delivery times vary dramatically). the Merc is potentially possible but the final negotiation has not happened and there is no current visibility on delivery times. The Volvo is also possible but the commercial conversation on that will only open if I am rock solid on that choice. These odd choices are based on what fits a "budget". the exact budget is not disclosed, nor is how it's calculated (ex-showroom, OTR, with/without service plan, TCO). These cars fit, some comfortably, and some with a little bit of stretch. For me, the choice would be much easier was it for Mumbai, but I don't know the entirety of road conditions, waterlogging, and dealer quality in NCR / Gurgaon.

any insight would be welcome.

Thank you

Last edited by kdp : 27th June 2021 at 10:39. Reason: formatting
kdp is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 10:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Audi A6 vs BMW X3 vs Mercedes GLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
Parameters important to me are safety, ease of service, and suitability for NCR roads.

Audi A6 Technology - test drove it in Mumbai. Loved the space, comfort, and sound system. Performance was also quite perky for its use-case.
A6 will be a good option for rear-seat comfort. Service is usually good albeit expensive when compared with BMW. Roads in NCR are mostly good and there are hardly any speed-breakers (high).

Another fellow member is also considering an A6, maybe you guys can negotiate together and get a good deal. Have a look at some of his posts from recent.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...ml#post5088735 (BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma)
Turbanator is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 10:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
For me, the choice would be much easier was it for Mumbai, but I don't know the entirety of road conditions, waterlogging, and dealer quality in NCR / Gurgaon.

Thank you
Hey,
I can guarantee that the roads in Gurgaon are a lot smoother than the ones in Mumbai (However, there are numerous amounts of potholes here too). Having lived in both the cities, what you would miss when you relocate would be the yellow-black taxis.
Although the roads aren't that perfect, it still depends upon the area you would be living and driving in.
Water-logging does happen but only during monsoon. And you wouldn't happen to worry about dealers.
Out of the options you have listed, I would advise you to not get a sedan and preferably get an SUV.
- You and your family are used to an SUV I assume since you mentioned you have an X3
- Growing trend of the car market is inclined towards SUVs
- A sedan, for example, A6 might scrape its belly on terribly high speed breakers and potholes.

My suggestion would be XC60 - why?
- It has one of the best safety features in its segment and since you mentioned safety as your main criteria, this car suits you just fine.
- On paper, this car produces the highest power figures in Diesel form
- And of course, its a nice car to be chauffeur driven in.

If not XC60, then the Merc GLC.

Hope this was helpful, happy hunting.
-Namit S.
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 11:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Gurgaon & Delhi & Noida roads are generally good to very good. The poor cousin is Faridabad. Gurgaon & Noida are literally the two newest built cities in India hence the roads. Of course we have our lousy examples - in Gurgaon, Golf course Road Extension, Sohna Road, the interior roads of all upcoming sectors etc.

Where water logging is concerned our municipal worthies in Delhi, Gurgaon & Faridabad for some inexplicable reason don't design or construct drains. So even though this area gets only a fraction of the rain that Mumbai does on 3 to 4 days each monsoon the roads get inconveniently flooded and jam up the whole of Delhi-NCR or substantial parts thereof. So avoid a car that has a low air intake point - most German sedans are in that category. From that one point alone SUVs are safer.

Dealer network, service centres are all as good as you will get in any other metropolitan city. In case you opt for the XC60 Volvo my long term review is here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...9-000-kms.html If you chose Volvo you can send me a private message for any help with the dealer.
V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 11:45   #5
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
A6 will be a good option for rear-seat comfort. Service is usually good albeit expensive when compared with BMW. Roads in NCR are mostly good and there are hardly any speed-breakers (high).

Another fellow member is also considering an A6, maybe you guys can negotiate together and get a good deal. Have a look at some of his posts from recent.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...ml#post5088735 (BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma)
Thank you. I went through that thread. It was quite insightful. Could you please elucidate what you mean by BMW service being better on that thread? Is it Less expensive, more likely to be first time right, less time consuming, or better attitude? Or which combination of these?

the reason I ask is that I have had a long tradition of picking up undervalued cars in the past (read poor service- fiat siena 1.6 and Optra 2.0D) and then pretty much end up taking a day off to ensure they are serviced right - which I cannot do anymore. BMW Navnit has given me fairly high peace of mind, I am guessing bird auto is similar? I dont think I need to worry about service cost so much as I would with a personal car, but downtime is really a critical thing.
kdp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 12:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Could you please elucidate what you mean by BMW service being better on that thread? Is it Less expensive, more likely to be first time right, less time consuming, or better attitude? Or which combination of these?
I dont think I need to worry about service cost so much as I would with a personal car, but downtime is really a critical thing.
BMW as a company supports customers far better, this gets reflected in the way the dealership handles you. Audi or VW group is completely opposite. The Audi workshop in Gurgaon is probably the best in India. I haven't seen such infrastructure across any brand. This was set by the previous Dealership and he spent a lot. Now, this is being taken care of by Krishna Group who are otherwise fair people to deal and we can escalate quickly for a solution if anything gets out of hand.

5 series is not at all comfortable for the rear seat but I haven't checked the A6 either, most people say good things about comfort otherwise. Another option can be to check the Camry or Lexus ES. A little expensive but will be trouble-free and have the highest resales if that's any consideration. In fact for the chauffeur use, nothing beats the ES.

Frankly, that will be my pick given your intended use, one less thing to worry about

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th June 2021 at 12:05.
Turbanator is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 22:01   #7
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post
Hey,
I can guarantee that the roads in Gurgaon are a lot smoother than the ones in Mumbai (However, there are numerous amounts of potholes here too). Having lived in both the cities, what you would miss when you relocate would be the yellow-black taxis.
Although the roads aren't that perfect, it still depends upon the area you would be living and driving in.
Water-logging does happen but only during monsoon. And you wouldn't happen to worry about dealers.
Out of the options you have listed, I would advise you to not get a sedan and preferably get an SUV.
- You and your family are used to an SUV I assume since you mentioned you have an X3
- Growing trend of the car market is inclined towards SUVs
- A sedan, for example, A6 might scrape its belly on terribly high speed breakers and potholes.

My suggestion would be XC60 - why?
- It has one of the best safety features in its segment and since you mentioned safety as your main criteria, this car suits you just fine.
- On paper, this car produces the highest power figures in Diesel form
- And of course, its a nice car to be chauffeur driven in.

If not XC60, then the Merc GLC.

Hope this was helpful, happy hunting.
-Namit S.
Thank you for your perspective. I am assuming that your recommendations exclude the x3 solely because I already have one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Gurgaon & Delhi & Noida roads are generally good to very good. The poor cousin is Faridabad. Gurgaon & Noida are literally the two newest built cities in India hence the roads. Of course we have our lousy examples - in Gurgaon, Golf course Road Extension, Sohna Road, the interior roads of all upcoming sectors etc.

Where water logging is concerned our municipal worthies in Delhi, Gurgaon & Faridabad for some inexplicable reason don't design or construct drains. So even though this area gets only a fraction of the rain that Mumbai does on 3 to 4 days each monsoon the roads get inconveniently flooded and jam up the whole of Delhi-NCR or substantial parts thereof. So avoid a car that has a low air intake point - most German sedans are in that category. From that one point alone SUVs are safer.

Dealer network, service centres are all as good as you will get in any other metropolitan city. In case you opt for the XC60 Volvo my long term review is here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...9-000-kms.html If you chose Volvo you can send me a private message for any help with the dealer.
The current Volvo looks really nice on paper. Only the D5 seems available. And it is surely bigger than any of the others, at the rear. I don’t know if it will fit my budget. And I am concerned about the lack of dealers and repair facilities if you take it out on NCR. Was that ever an issue for you? I will ping you over Ormonde for perspective and dealer advice.

Finally coming back to the x3, I don’t know if it’s such a bad thing to have 2 similar cars. Before this x3, I had a brace of f30s, a 320D and a 330D, and both in different shades of white.. just did not want a repeat of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Audi A6 vs BMW X3 vs Mercedes GLC-img_1437.jpg  

kdp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 12:33   #8

Re: Audi A6 vs BMW X3 vs Mercedes GLC

Quote:
Hello Team,
=====

Thank you
Went through a similar dilemma in March, when I was looking to replace my six year old A6. Extensively test drove the X3, F Pace, GLC, Discovery Sport and the XC60. I was initially keen on petrol but other than the new GLC, none of the other cars had petrol versions available. And the GLC just didn't cut it in terms of space, comfort and equipment. I still remember during the TD, the sales guy kept touting the Mercedes on call feature!

Finally settled on the XC60 as it ticked all the boxes - smooth and refined diesel, extensive safety features, rear seat comfort (the car is mostly chauffeur driven on weekdays), spacious boot with a space saver included, reasonable service costs.

The Volvo was miles ahead of all other offerings when it came to safety and equipment.

Having driven an Audi for almost 10 years (had the Q5 before the A6), I was apprehensive going for the Volvo, but an extensive engagement with the sales team at Swede Volvo, a visit to the service centre, conversations with the service manager and, most importantly, the gracious feedback of our very own Mr. Narayan - all helped put my doubts to rest.

Though I've only had the car for around 2 months, of which a month was spent in lockdown etc., it brings a huge smile to my face every time I drive it.
PaneristiHobbes is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 12:44   #9
BHPian

Hi kdp,

I was in a similar dilemma recently and booked the A6 after quite a lot of considerations.
If backseat comfort is important to you, A6 is the winner here among the options you are looking into.

X3 is fun to drive but the backseat is nothing to write home about.
GLC has a better backseat but it will have more body roll than the A6.
Also, A6 is much better to drive as compared to the GLC, the power in GLC is lower and the overall driving position was found to be uncomfortable by me.

I drove the A6 over some rough patches and some notorious speedbreakers and found no issue. Waterlogging is a problem and you will have to park your car that day at home. But unlike Mumbai, that happens 2-3 days a year in Gurgaon.
senna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:16   #10
BHPian

If rear comfort matters, why not consider the E Class?
I assume that the E Class and A6 will be priced differently, owing to the discounts being offered on the A6.

But, if the budget permits, why not consider the recently updated E Class?
It's the perfect car for backseat-ing!
ballfry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 23:32   #11
kdp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaneristiHobbes View Post
Went through a similar dilemma in March, when I was looking to replace my six year old A6. Extensively test drove the X3, F Pace, GLC, Discovery Sport and the XC60. I was initially keen on petrol but other than the new GLC, none of the other cars had petrol versions available. And the GLC just didn't cut it in terms of space, comfort and equipment. I still remember during the TD, the sales guy kept touting the Mercedes on call feature!

Finally settled on the XC60 as it ticked all the boxes - smooth and refined diesel, extensive safety features, rear seat comfort (the car is mostly chauffeur driven on weekdays), spacious boot with a space saver included, reasonable service costs.

The Volvo was miles ahead of all other offerings when it came to safety and equipment.

Having driven an Audi for almost 10 years (had the Q5 before the A6), I was apprehensive going for the Volvo, but an extensive engagement with the sales team at Swede Volvo, a visit to the service centre, conversations with the service manager and, most importantly, the gracious feedback of our very own Mr. Narayan - all helped put my doubts to rest.

Though I've only had the car for around 2 months, of which a month was spent in lockdown etc., it brings a huge smile to my face every time I drive it.
That’s two endorsements for the Volvo. However, the features are on the D5 and that’s a bit out of affordability now. Am finalizing on the x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post
If rear comfort matters, why not consider the E Class?
I assume that the E Class and A6 will be priced differently, owing to the discounts being offered on the A6.

But, if the budget permits, why not consider the recently updated E Class?
It's the perfect car for backseat-ing!
The Mercedes is just too expensive.
kdp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 02:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Having spent a great deal of time shopping in this segment recently, I would look at the A6, 6GT, and XC60 closely.

The X3 rear seat experience is mediocore with just about adequate under thigh support.
The GLC too has been around a while and the engine + ride & handling are average. Also my experience has been that Mercedes service and maintenance is on the higher side.

The A6 has two BIG negatives: its an Audi, where most of the service and company support has been below average. Second is that it's not as reliable as say a BMW.
That being said, it has amongst the best interiors, mature ride and handling (even otherwise sedans do have better ride and handling than SUVs), a competent engine, good kit, and a stellar price post discounts. The new A6 seems to be practical as well with its spare wheel solution, and higher profile tyres.

The 6GT, if you are able to get a deal on the pre-facelift is also highly recommended. Heck, I'd put it first on my list. The air suspension provides a comfy ride, the engine will put a grin in your face, and it has all the goodies you would want.

The Volvo too is a fantastic vehicle. It may not be quick but with the air suspension ride and handling are good. Theres a minor facelift and a petrol engine around the corner so you may be able to strike a deal.

That being said: keep in mind that as comfortable as the air suspension is, maintenance is on the higher side so if you do go the XC60 / 6GT way, please keep it in mind.
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 09:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Am finalizing on the x3

Advance congratulations on this great choice, if you don't mind sharing, what is the deal you are getting on X3?
Gsynch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 11:27   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

For chauffeur+family usage, I would rate A6, ES hybrid, E class much higher. It's not clear in your post why you dropped A6 in favour of X3. It's a terrific VFM car in this segment - the money you save can easily buy you warranties and service packages to have a stress free ownership.

X3 is mainly for self-driving and there too I would consider 5-series to be better unless you prefer SUVs to sedans. Are you looking to replace your current X3 with new X3?

Volvo cars are spec'ed very well and with high quality feel inside out. Two things put them out of consideration for me: I like my cars to be a bit fun to drive and the Germans do better in that aspect. They are also not cheap plus limited service network so why bother.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 11:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why not a Lexus ES if it within budget? Well built, comfortable, economical and great customer service and you already have an SUV to deal with water logging and the likes. The other option would be XC90 because it looks better than the X3 inside out. I wouldnt have two of the same cars either but that is just me.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks